Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Because the current live client is already capable of everything they need, so there is no need for extra programming.
    Your assumed way of doing it is what would require extra programmers.
    The interesting part of the job postings for Classic was that they stated that they would be working on things like creating UI elements, something that would be completely pointless if they were using the old client. If they on the other hand were to recreate vanilla using the modern client, creating UI elements that emulate the original ones would be a very real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    I don't think they are concerned very much with those topics. Current hardware runs the client far better now than originally.. and because the old client doesn't have the higher polygon counts, fancy water, effects, etc... it doesn't really need to take advantage of 64bit tech.

I'm willing to bet the botting/anti-cheat software is run outside of WoW completely... what they have in place may very well serve Classic WoW with litttle to no effort.
    You ready to say I was right and called most everything........ Use new code....check! use 1.12.....check! Use battle.net......Check! Much of this happening due to security risks and stability of new code....Check! many other things in this thread...check!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    You ready to say I was right and called most everything........ Use new code....check! use 1.12.....check! Use battle.net......Check! Much of this happening due to security risks and stability of new code....Check! many other things in this thread...check!
    Nope... I always expected 1.12... that's what private servers are using.

New code? Not for the client (other than some minor changes to being launched from Battle.net, which again, I always expected.)

Nope... I always expected 1.12... that's what private servers are using.

New code? Not for the client (other than some minor changes to being launched from Battle.net, which again, I always expected.)
    Except judging by the blue post...
    Our initial runs exposed a few (expected) issues: the game sometimes crashed, didn’t recognize our modern video cards, and was incompatible with our current login system. That first pass also couldn’t support any of our modern security and anti-cheating capabilities. Clearly we had a lot of work to do to make WoW Classic live up to the Blizzard standard of quality, and deliver the experience players want. [. . .] So we asked ourselves, would it still be possible to deliver an authentic classic experience if we took our modern code, with all its back-end improvements and changes, and used it to process the Patch 1.12 game data? [. . .] Starting from a modern architecture—with all its security and stability changes—means the team’s efforts can be focused on pursuing an authentic classic experience. Any differences in behavior between our development builds and the patch 1.12 reference can be systematically cataloged and corrected, while still operating from a foundation that’s stable and secure.
    To me that tells me they are basing it off of the code they use for Live WoW, just with all the old databases updated to run on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    If you're lucky they will have something to show at Blizzcon. In Blizzard fashion we all knew (or should have known) that the announcement was only the beginning and actually seeing the game would probably be a few years in the making as they convert it to their modern platform.

1. What makes you think that? It's pointless making claims you couldn't possibly have an idea about unless you were working on the project.

2 + 3. You're forgetting that people are playing Vanilla right now and have been for years, the optimisation is fine on modern hardware and the game runs great, when I tried Nostalrius briefly I had something like 400fps with everything maxed. Sure they can improve things and will want to improve things, but optimisation on modern hardware is a problem we already know doesn't really exist, because we can play it right now.
    1: because they said so in the past and it doesn't make sense to keep that junk around for decades.

2+3 yeah nostalrius runs great with the 20 people playing there. How great will it run with thousands? How about a million?

Start gaining some perspective or go make your own game. Your criticism is infantile and unwarranted.

All of this was obvious for everyone with basic deductive reasoning from what they said at the announcement, the interviews and the job postings. Only stubborn private server players refused to let go of 2004 and kept shouting "#NOCHANGES!". I tried to explain this for months and then just gave up since it was like talking to a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    1: because they said so in the past and it doesn't make sense to keep that junk around for decades.

2+3 yeah nostalrius runs great with the 20 people playing there. How great will it run with thousands? How about a million?

Start gaining some perspective or go make your own game. Your criticism is infantile and unwarranted.
    20 people? You realise that Nostalrius had 15000 players online at once, that's 12-13000 more players than Blizzard servers at maximum capacity in 2006. How about you have some perspective, pot kettle.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by bluestalya View Post
    November, December, January, February, March, April...and soon May.

Yup that's how long we've been waiting for news concerning vanilla wow, and you know what? It's just not something a company usually does:

-Only a few updates here and there to reassure us concerning the progress? Sure, that's fine
    -A few hints from them here and there to tell us that we're not being forgotten? Sure, that's also fine
    -Absolutely 0 official news about something that hundreds of thousands, if not milions of people, are waiting for? That's just not fucking acceptable.

You don't announce a video game to let people in the dark for so long guys, I can already see some of you jumping at me :"They don't owe you shit" ,"it'll be ready when it's ready", "be patient", "there's no news that's it", but it's bullshit: after half a year, there's bound to be some progress.

Not to mention that they were supposed to communicate with us, to ask us what we really want when it comes to vanilla.

I'm very disappointed by the complete lack of feedback, and I know that a lot of people are in the same boat: this doesn't sound good at all so far.
    actually it is fine... it's their game...

where is your update on the game your developing?

didn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    Except judging by the blue post...

To me that tells me they are basing it off of the code they use for Live WoW, just with all the old databases updated to run on it.
    By your own quote, it says "didn't recognize our modern video cards"... what didn't... the NEW client? I think not.

would it still be possible to deliver an authentic classic experience if we took our modern code, with all its back-end improvements and changes, and used it to process the Patch 1.12 game data?
    Clearly means server code to me. And even that... leads me to believe we are talking calls to things like instance servers, security/anti-cheat code, etc.

"back-end improvements"... again.. clearly talking about server infrastructure. Again... a handful of people (that is what the Classic team is made of) are not rewriting the game.

By your own quote, it says "didn't recognize our modern video cards"... what didn't... the NEW client? I think not.

Clearly means server code to me. And even that... leads me to believe we are talking calls to things like instance servers, security/anti-cheat code, etc.

"back-end improvements"... again.. clearly talking about server infrastructure. Again... a handful of people (that is what the Classic team is made of) are not rewriting the game.
    You realize that taking the old game and re-writing it to work with modern architecture, making it work with modern hardware(video cards, multi core cpu, ssd R/W speeds, etc), adding security, b-net and anti-cheat systems would be a larger job then taking the current game and making look and feel like classic. But you are right they are not re-writing the game since they are using the current client and re-skinning it to work like Classic.......But hey just like your opriginal time and date predictions were wrong.....you are wrong again and once again change your tune.......
    would it still be possible to deliver an authentic classic experience if we took our modern code, with all its back-end improvements and changes, and used it to process the Patch 1.12 game data?
    Read the bolded part, the part you ignored. Guess what it is the client that is processing the "game data"........Checkmate
    Last edited by Chaelexi; 2018-06-20 at 02:13 PM.

The less they say the better because anything they say makes someone pissed off for some stupid reason and make stupid posts like this.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

You realize that taking the old game and re-writing it to work with modern architecture, making it work with modern hardware(video cards, multi core cpu, ssd R/W speeds, etc), adding security, b-net and anti-cheat systems would be a larger job then taking the current game and making look and feel like classic. But you are right they are not re-writing the game since they are using the current client and re-skinning it to work like Classic.......But hey just like your opriginal time and date predictions were wrong.....you are wrong again and once again change your tune.......

Read the bolded part, the part you ignored. Guess what it is the client that is processing the "game data"........Checkmate
    Sorry.. .the SERVER processes game data from the databases. The client is given that data to display locations, timings of spells, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's really no further reason to keep this thread alive so it will be closed.

Since the recent infodump from Blizzard about how they are approaching the design of Classic what's been posted to this thread since has been little more than arguments about taking victory laps.

There are other threads on the topic so please continue the discussion in one of those.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."