Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    They said at blizzcon that it would be sometime before it was released and there is a lot of intricacies to work out. Along with BFA on the way and most resources going towards that there probably hasn't been significant progress to even be mentioned. The best bet to hear anything is the next blizzcon and from that they will probably release inbetween downtimes of raids or expansions to keep sub numbers up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    I'm fairly positive that Blizzard stated they had the old client/server running already... and this was months ago. They talked about getting it to work with the new instance servers.
    Then you clearly didn't properly read that statement, since they said they had "jury rigged" a system to run that stuff to use it as a baseline. Not set up things so they could ready it for release.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that's the difference between our posts... I am saying that I "think" and I "believe"... I never said "I know"... your posts are the ones seemingly stating things that Blizzard ARE doing without actually knowing that.
    And you fight tooth and nail against anybody with a more realistic view of what Blizzard is actually doing, trying to discredit them. Language isn't just words.

Even the few "facts" we know are based on interviews/articles... much of which are up to interpretation. Just like the one you quoted me that clearly stated they are "trying to run the classic wow on modern infrastructure". How can that mean anything but running old code on new infrastructure? even the choice of the word "the" in "the classic WoW" identifies using old code.
    Simple: The code, particularly the game engine, is part of said infrastructure. The use of the article is meaningless and does not signify anything.

They know the second they divulge any of their plans for Classic, it's going to cause the "Vanilla community" to fragment itself because literally ANY fucking change is tantamount to sacrilege. I mean fuck, you guys can't even agree on what version of Vanilla you think is actually Vanilla.

Of course the devs are silent. It's the only fucking way they can keep people hyped for the idea without having everybody put themselves in fucking little camps warring against one another over which group of fans have the "real" vision for Classic realms.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2018-05-20 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Then you clearly didn't properly read that statement, since they said they had "jury rigged" a system to run that stuff to use it as a baseline.
    What they said is that they had an old build up and running as a reference. Why would you need a reference if you weren't trying to recreate something? As they've stated many times it'll be a "Classic server option", not client. Classic will be a part of the retail client.

It will come out way beyond BFA launch, likely. I wouldn't expect more news until next blizzcon probably

Indeed, they won't release both together but more like mid 2019 I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Raitu902 View Post
    It will come out way beyond BFA launch, likely. I wouldn't expect more news until next blizzcon probably
    You might be right, but if we don't hear anything at this year's Blizzcon, I'll be whining like a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    What they said is that they had an old build up and running as a reference. Why would you need a reference if you weren't trying to recreate something? As they've stated many times it'll be a "Classic server option", not client. Classic will be a part of the retail client.
    Yes. That's the point. Maudib seems to believe they'll base the whole thing on the old classic software.

Quote Originally Posted by fairbanks1 View Post
    Indeed, they won't release both together but more like mid 2019 I'd say.
    Quite possibly, or they will release Classic WoW a fair time after the last major BoA content patch. That will give players time to clear BoA, and then play Classic.
    Last edited by Altariaz; 2018-05-20 at 01:33 PM.

you're getting some remake of a game only people who probably never played vanilla want and which is probably going to be played on the final patch prior to tbc which was by far the worst in terms of "muh vanilla".

behave yourselves.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    and which is probably going to be played on the final patch prior to tbc which was by far the worst in terms of "muh vanilla".
    The only thing terrible about the final patch before TBC was that everyone with no pvp skillz could get easy Marshall and Grand marshall gear and weapons and took them to raids an ran around with them in BG's.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

I do not see any links. Statements like "It's a huge undertaking" or some such aren't quantitative.

you can believe what you want... but it comes down to what you believe they ARE doing technically... which is pure conjecture on anyone's part because we do NOT know.

I believe that Blizzard will stand up Classic with the original client with only the most minor changes to security, server, and database calls. The database is easily imported to the new format. (Do you really think these companies make incompatible database versions without some form of conversion tools? Pffft. They would not still be in business.

Anyway... I think it's fine you think otherwise. You have a right to an opinion regardless of how wrong i feel you are. But I'm not upset... I'm not insinuating how "ludicrous" or "delusional" you are. You're just wrong and I'm OK with that. You though.. have real issue with someone disagreeing with you... the world is going to really be a hard place for you to adapt.

- - - Updated - - -

I like to think that the difference between a guess and a prediction is time and information. Consider a prediction as an "educated guess".

If for some reason July comes and goes without Classic... it will be wrong. (I've been that before... it's no big deal) I'll then use info at that time to develop a new prediction.

It's all in fun really. It'll get here when it gets here. others though? Are so angry about it. I think it's because they truly don;t like what they are playing now... are pretty sure they won' like Classic, and are jealous that other people are genuinely excited about it.

I believe they think it's "not fair!" that while they barely have any enthusiasm for the BfA expansion, that others are titillated at the prospect of playing a 14 year old game.

Well, as long as we're discussing 'believes (guesses) and 'predictions' (more guesses), here's mine:
    - The classic client will be the modern client
    - the classic server will be the modern server
    - The world assets and character assets, the quest texts, the loot tables etc will be Vanila's
    - The quest scripts, the mob scripts etc. will be completely new, much like on private servers, maybe developed with partial automation of the original scripts, but modified to the new systems. They will take care to come as close as possible to the original behaviour.
    - They will have an internal Vanilla client/server set up for cross checking behaviour
    - known exploits will all be fixed
    - there will be a handfull of servers. Sharding will take care of the huge ebb and flow of players. (sort of the reverse of CRZ)
    - there will be 'Classic Tokens', separate from the modern tokens, maybe not at the launch, but brought in fairly soon to control the Goldsellers.
    Last edited by HuxNeva; 2018-05-20 at 12:48 PM.

Yes. That's the point. Maudib seems to believe they'll base the whole thing on the old classic software.
    Anyone who believes that is quite frankly a halfwit.

They will not base this on 2004 software or hardware. That's an open invitation to hackers and all kinds of security risks.

Simple: The code, particularly the game engine, is part of said infrastructure. The use of the article is meaningless and does not signify anything.
    Then why were there no significant number of programming jobs listed for the Classic project? I mean It doesn't look like they will have more than a dozen people hired for the project.

Then why were there no significant number of programming jobs listed for the Classic project? I mean It doesn't look like they will have more than a dozen people hired for the project.
    Because the current live client is already capable of everything they need, so there is no need for extra programming.
    Your assumed way of doing it is what would require extra programmers.

Quote Originally Posted by SpellCleave View Post
    I have it on high authority that blizz is planning to release at 1.12 and add no changes. Then 2 years in they are going to switch it the fuck up and release Hellfire Peninsula as a high level area for...something... and then release Karazhan as a level 60 raid, higher gear quality than Naxx. And shortly after, they're gunna put Northrend in. Level cap to be increased to 70 for Northrend. Since all of that had been planned for the game waaaaay back in the day.

And then it'll evolve further, becoming it's own abomination, and get WEIRD.

That sounds kinda amazing, if it's true
    Putting on my tinfoil & crossing my fingers =)

Quote Originally Posted by Lidenbok View Post
    You're all sorts of delusional if you think we're going to see the released product this side of Blizzcon let alone like 2 months.
    Delusional kind of comes with the classic purist territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Delusional kind of comes with the classic purist territory.
    Not really. some of us are more reasonable.

From a sales perspective, if I was Blizzard this would be my plan:

1. Radio silence until January. They gain absolutely nothing by hyping up Classic before BfA's release (which hurts launch sales), or even after Blizzcon (because Xmas sales are real too)..... People forced to buy BfA

2.First day back after the new year, prepare to roll out beta testing. Beta will be very limited population wise (so retail players have to buy it to try it) and very short (for a beta) in duration... I expect MOST of the content to be internally tested and the beta just being a month or so of stress testing a server/checking for any missed issues.

3. Right around 6months after BfA is out, the opening raid tier will be in the same kind of content drought that current live is in. Live players will be bored and looking for something to do/play. NOW is when you aim to launch WoW:Classic.

4. Live players who are bored of BfA's first raid tier buy/start playing Classic for ~a month before the 2nd raid tier of BfA launches.... This gives the maximum amount of exposure for the game to the target market (people already playing WoW) and time for them to decide whether or not they enjoy playing classic vs Live..... After that month the tourists will all be gone back to live for the 2nd BfA raid tier, and everyone who's staying on classic will be roughly finishing their first 60.

That's how you maximize profits and exposure for Classic imo... So expect it to ship then (~ Late Feb/Early March 2019).... The next "window" after that is late Summer, which is possible... but would be massively disappointing and would seem extreme for a game that essentially has much of it's code already written and is significantly smaller in size/scale compared to a modern game (the entirety of vanilla's client is like 6GB)

Because the current live client is already capable of everything they need, so there is no need for extra programming.
    Your assumed way of doing it is what would require extra programmers.
    Well I guess we will see what happens.