Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    PvE: Resto
    PvP: Resto / Feral

Feral can work but you need to work really hard on gear. (group buff)

I have seen balance and balance hybrids in PvP also but few.

Balance is the worst spec. Subper damage, slow leveling, mana inefficient (yes, Mana was a BIG thing in vanilla, and that was not an understatement), you have to drink for almost a minute after killing 2 mobs. No suitable gears in end game except facing fierce competition from mages and locks for clothes. The list goes on and on.

Feral is ok for leveling. Not much gear requirement , travelling pretty fast, has mana to self heal. But in the end game, its the same as balance, no gears to progress, and no cc or aoe for dungeons. And dont forget that weapon damage means nothing for feral druid, they only scale with AP and stats. Tanking is ok up until UBRS, for raid tanking… it is still subper to warriors (no good gears for bear tank!!)

Restore, everyone's favourite, but bare in mind that druid does not have any rez spell aside from rebirth which uses a reagent and on 30 min CD, thus could be problematic for 5 men dungeon grps.

Balance almost didnt exist
    Resto for PVE spam rejunovation and combat ress. They were mostly for CR and MOTW buff in raids only.

Deleted
    Healing depends on the tryhardiness and patch, Druids can and do top healing charts by spamming Rejuvenation and sometimes Regrowth, but it's really mana intensive and you have to chain pots and runes, innervate yourself and even cycle Shamans in and out of your group for Mana Tide totems. That's a pretty lame tactic for everyone else, though, because only the healers in your group get Mana Tide and everyone else gets shafted. Usually a GM that is a Druid does that sort of thing to appear as if he's doing a lot, but it's actually a degenerate playstyle that overheals a lot. Priests can also do this with max ran Renew and Flash Heal spam, however, but I think Druids can do it a little bit more intensely, but don't quote me on that, they might be similar. You do top charts on all kinds of bosses, though, with the exception of really long fights like Nefarian, where Priests and Paladins have an edge. You will be expected to heal, regardless of your tryhardiness, so get ready for that.

Tanking - you can't get def capped and a lot of bosses will tear through your HP pool quite a fast, so MTing is out of the question. Paladins and Druids can OT quite fine actually, even on progression nights, but most guilds will have stigmatized this and will probably use Warriors for that as well. The problem is also the amount of Warriors you generally need to be tanks, so taking Paladins and Druids over them seems shortsighted. It also depends on what patch we are talking about, but basically don't expect to be taken seriously as a bear and if you do end up OTing frequently in a good guild you'd be lucky and an exception.

DPS - nope. Well, generally nope. If you have ridiculously good gear that overgears the raid you are in, you can do on the lower side of average DPS as both Balance and Feral (depending on the patch again). Generally reserved for heavily farmed raids that the GM Druid is bored of healing. The crit chance that a feral brings to the table isn't enough to offset the loss of a "real" DPS and the crit chance that a Boomkin brings isn't enough as well. Mana is generally not a problem in farm raids because bosses drop way too fast for you to start feeling that. Absolutely not for progression.

PvP - as always, PvP performance in vanilla is hard to measure because there is no way to see results. You can AFK farm the ranks and personal skill is mostly irrelevant. I don't know how to even begin answering this because it's very trivial and everyone will have their own criteria.

You might notice that raiding is my main focus with this post and there's a reason for this - you outgear dungeons very, very fast and it truly doesn't matter what spec you are in them as long as you know what you are doing.
    Last edited by mmoc89b6e6865b; 2018-04-25 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corydon View Post
    Awesome input - thanks guys! I should have noted that I do not plan to raid at all. I will casually be playing Classic and take my time. Plan on running dungeons to farm blue stuff and hang out in Tyr's Hand or elsewhere to amass gold All while at the same time have fun with like-minded friends enjoying classic wow (hopefully)
    Oh, and I hope there will be a PvP server option that I can choose
    Get in a guild that accepts feral druid play. If you pug with strangers, then blue loot is nigh-impossible with a rogue in the party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Coming back to this thread to say "thanks folks"! I am close to not playing a druid then :-\ But there's still much time to mull over what class I am going to play instead

There were definitely limits as we know, but my only advice would be to watch old videos.

Good luck in deciding, Corydon!

Deleted
    You will literally only ever heal or be a burden.

PvP can be fun as flag carrier as Resto,

my mate did it during the end of Vanilla:
    (He was lucky to accumulate it over the course of 2 years tho)
    Quite easy to obtain over time as much of it is unwanted loot.

Flask of Chromatic Resistance: 25 All resistances (if you want to go nuts, you should!)
    Magic Resistance Potion: 50 All resistances (3 minutes cheap to make)
    Improved MoTW: 27 All resistances
    Smoking Heart of the Mountain: +7 All resistances
    Cloack+Shoulder enchant: +10 All resistances
    Seal of the Archmagus: +6 All resistances (17% Barron Geddon, not many roll on it)
    Ring of Binding: +10 All resistances (28% Onyxia, drops alot might can get your hands on it)
    Thick Silithid Chestguard: +5 All resistances (Moam, Leather Chest)

Total: All Resistance 140

Glacial Cloak: 24 Frost Resistance (AD Exalted, runes can be farmed with stealth in Naxxramas)
    Polar Bracers: 20 Frost Resistance (AD Exalted, runes can be farmed with stealth in Naxxramas)
    Polar Gloves: 30 Frost Resistance (AD Exalted, runes can be farmed with stealth in Naxxramas)
    Polar Leggings: 40 Frost Resistance (AD Exalted, runes can be farmed with stealth in Naxxramas)
    140+114 = 254 Frost Resistance Total (314 with Totem)

Lava Belt: 26 Fire Resistance (Crafted with MC mats)
    Molten Helm: 29 Fire Resistance (Crafted with MC mats)
    Corehound Boots: 24 Fire Resistance (Crafted with MC mats)
    Drakefire Amulet: 15 Fire Resistance (Quest Onyxia Attunement)
    140+94 = 234 Fire Resistance Total (294 With totem)

Shadow Protection from Priest
    140+60 = 200 Shadow Resistance Total

Warden Staff or Unyiedling Maul + Mark of Tyranny + Smoking Heart of the Mountain
    2950 Extra Armor

Enjoy people trying to stop you.
    Also bring Free Action Potions
    Last edited by Hunterwep; 2018-05-02 at 01:36 PM.

If it matters, Bears couldn't loot corpses/items.

So you will have to revert into a Night Elf to get your silver pieces. After every fight. Loosing all the Rage you had left over and wanted to use on the next pack.

If you want to tank, roll a warrior. Just a much better quality of life.

Field Marshal
    People keep talking like the new Wow Classic is going to be how it used to be - when in fact nobody really knows!? Most probably it is but I would expect that they're making all classes viable so that for instance druids can also tank or dps in endgame. Let's just wait and see - im sure you can play a druid however you want to when Classic is being released.

You're gonna be healing in raids. Cat DPS is awful and bear tanks cannot tank bosses due to no defense cap as well as taking way more damage than warriors do. All of the tier gear is int / healing bonuses as well, save for T1 which has really weird bonuses like "+4 damage on thorns" and "50% reduced cooldown on Hurricane".

If you find a nice guild, they MIGHT let you into the raid as feral, but really only to buff one of the melee groups with 3% crit. And since you're a druid, you can expect every to PASS on every single piece of DPS gear until all the rogues/warriors have it....but hey, at least you'll get a full set of druid tier gear pretty easily so that you can heal if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    If you're a real try-hard you can tank. You won't be a main tank but you can tank raid trash all the way up to and including Naxx.
    Yep, my Naxx40-raiding guild had exactly 1 feral druid, really just to buff a melee group with 3% crit, but he would offtank adds or trash from time to time, and help offtank Patchwerk. (eat hateful strikes)

Quote Originally Posted by fupr View Post
    People keep talking like the new Wow Classic is going to be how it used to be - when in fact nobody really knows!? Most probably it is but I would expect that they're making all classes viable so that for instance druids can also tank or dps in endgame.
    Why would Blizzard keep saying "vanilla is vanilla!" and then give us something that isn't vanilla?

think, you dingus

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    If it matters, Bears couldn't loot corpses/items.

So you will have to revert into a Night Elf to get your silver pieces. After every fight. Loosing all the Rage you had left over and wanted to use on the next pack.
    This might have been true in earlier patches, but it's definitely not true in 1.12

You can skin/loot in shapeshift forms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    LFR saved raiding
    Quote Originally Posted by Haekke View Post
    LFR is not really easy. I would say it's a lot harder thant Mythic Dungeons
    get_a_load_of_this_guy_cam.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Bear tanks cannot tank bosses due to no defense cap as well as taking way more damage than warriors do.
    Just like to point out that on resistance fights warriors don't reach their defense cap either.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimnir211 View Post
    You will literally only ever heal or be a burden.
    You seem to think that you are in a position to dictate how other's chose to spend their $15/month to play this game 13 years ago. Protip: you aren't, no player's have ever been nor will they ever be in that position, give it a rest and go spam a different topic involving a spec of a class which you knew very little about in 2005, and know even less about in 2018.

The only instance where a player would be able to dictate how another player played a game which he/she paid for in 2005 would be if hell froze over. Since that isn't going to happen anytime soon, I'm sorry to say you are sol and jwf. The audacity that any player presumes they are in a position and can dictate how another player spent their time and their money playing a game during 13 years ago is a concept I find mind-numbingly astounding. For a few players to come into a raid during vanilla as anything put holy or resto not only did not harm the raid as a whole but literally and figuratively had no impact on the killing of a boss during that era, provided that the raid as a whole had cleared the content before and no shenanigans were occurring (such as random disconnects, dps going all out in the first few seconds of a boss pull and more.)

You're gonna be healing in raids. Cat DPS is awful and bear tanks cannot tank bosses due to no defense cap as well as taking way more damage than warriors do. All of the tier gear is int / healing bonuses as well, save for T1 which has really weird bonuses like "+4 damage on thorns" and "50% reduced cooldown on Hurricane".
    So many posters have been reiterating the above over the years that a large portion of people have began to take it as the truth, all the while not really having a clue what they are talking about nor having any experience playing as a spec that they 13 years later are so adamant about not allowing. These same people tend to forget things like health and dodge. I've stated this before and I can't believe I have to state it again - druids could tank bosses just fine, even during vanilla (2005 and on) we had higher health pools and higher dodge when compared to warrior tanks. Not only does that mean we did not get 1 shot or were a bad tank as many posters on this forum and the wow forum would like to believe, but as is still the case today (guardian) druids take more damage up front when compared to warrior tanks.

I was able to tank all of MC, BWL, AQ20, AQ40 and Naxx just fine as a druid during vanilla. Once we get passed this incorrect opinion of "your class/spec couldn't do that!" then we can move on to making this game better and hold the devs responsible so that future meaningless changes do not occur. As a poster below me stated, their were many fights in the game which required resists pieces to be worn. Off the top of my head I remember one in BWL, and on in AQ40. Curiously when warrior tanks wore these piece to get the amount of required resistance, they were not defense capped, yet somehow they tanked said bosses just fine. That in itself shows that being defense capped wasn't as big a deal as some misinformed people choose to preach about 13 years later.

If you find a nice guild, they MIGHT let you into the raid as feral, but really only to buff one of the melee groups with 3% crit. And since you're a druid, you can expect every to PASS on every single piece of DPS gear until all the rogues/warriors have it....but hey, at least you'll get a full set of druid tier gear pretty easily so that you can heal if needed.
    Perhaps in your guild or in your experience this happened. In mine it did not. Let's stop with the generalized statements, just because you didn't experience or encounter druid tanks during vanilla does not mean we did not tank. Likewise, I've never seen a Porsche Carrera GT in person, does that mean they don't exist? No.

As I have stated on this forum before, during MC progression in 2005 we had a warrior tank that ninjaed a weapon and got himself gkicked and blacklisted on the server. At the time since we were pushing progression and it was decided (for the guild, and for progression) that it would take too long to recruit and gear up another warrior, I was asked to tank as a druid. I was asked because I had done so previously in dungeons and in raids (we ran Tuesday - Saturday, 8 hours a day. School, work, family, etc. sometimes got in the way of players making raid times.)

At the time I used a mixed set of gear, consisting of quest blues which had a good amount of stamina and defense, a weapon with defense, a resist chest and some tier.5 pieces of which I eventually switched into a mixture of pvp gear and pieces from various raids. The only issues that our healers had interestingly enough is the same issue which healers still encounter in the game today in 2018 - druids take more damage up front when compared to other tanks. Out of our healers, IIRC, only 2 weren't ready for this because they had never healed a druid tank before, but they had no problems. In fact their was another druid in my guild at the time that tanked. Their were times when both he and I tanked in a raid together and we had no problems. We also had a balance druid who grinded his way up to Grand Marshal and came to raid as balance, interestingly enough he was competition for other ranged dps.

Other players have mentioned this on forums over the years - at the time druids put out the most threat in the game, even more so than warriors did. The only times when we wiped on a fight was either when one of the tanks got disconnected, or the dps got excited and went all out when a boss was pulled - both instances had no bearing on a warrior or druid tank tanking.

We used a dkp system which took into account things like attended raids, player deaths, which pieces were best for which class/spec and so on. We had theory crafters in the guild that had an idea of which pieces were good for which spec and which pieces were a downgrade or side grade. The only loot-related issues we had were who would get TF after the warriors got it, lol. I have a vague memory of a leather piece in naxx being good for dps warriors which caused some laughs and eye rolling. We also may have been lucky in that about 95% of us came from previous MMO's like final fantasy, everquest and more where we had previously raided together. Therefore we knew each other's abilities prior to coming to wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterwep View Post
    Just like to point out that on resistance fights warriors don't reach their defense cap either.
    Thank you, you have no idea how long it has been since another poster has pointed this out.
    Last edited by Epoch; 2018-05-02 at 09:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 25165453757
    I am excite

Quote Originally Posted by Daear View Post
    Guardian druids had terrible damage/threat generation and so weren't used in raiding.
    This is the exact opposite of true. The primary advantage of a Druid raid tank was that they had better threat generation, and as less was tied to debuff-based threat buttons, they did significantly more damage. Also, Swipe meant they could hold multiple targets more easily (up to a point, anyway).

bear tanks cannot tank bosses due to no defense cap as well as taking way more damage than warriors do.
    Also not true. Bears took less total damage on a large number of fights, and were easier to heal. Druid BiS included a lot of pre-raid pieces that lasted a long time, and Bear Armor stacked up so ridiculously that a pre-MC Druid would take less damage on Critical and Crushing Blows than pre-MC Warriors were taking on Normal hits (run the math, if you can still find the old formulas). Pretty much up until Warriors were able to get a really good shield and push Crushing Blows off the hit table, they would take slightly more damage than a Bear would, and their health bar was spikier due to Crushing Blows and lower total health. That continued until somewhere mid-BWL, when the lack of new Bear gear started really hurting Druids, and the AQ40 gear, while somewhat more Feral-optimized, meant they fell slightly behind mathematically. And then the taunt-miss issues for tanks that didn't have Warrior T3 trying to do 4HM in Naxx, but that's its own thing...

What Druids really lacked early on were major CD mitigation tools, and a fear break. Also, Nefarian's Class Call made it very difficult to manage using a druid tank there specifically. When you could work around those issues, Bears were the superior tank for slow-hitting bosses and spell-damage bosses. Larger total health pool (could avoid spike-out damage from spells), more armor (less average incoming damage from any single physical attack). For fast-hitting bosses, Warriors worked better as the static value on Block had a larger impact than the percentage reduction from armor.

What really killed things for the Bear Druid that wanted to tank was that many raids tried to heal through stupid, so they needed more healers. Warriors didn't have that option, meaning that between two reasonably close choices, you had Druids heal, and Warriors tank. Also, early on, Warriors weren't particularly good at DPS (not bad, by any means, but also not amazingly good yet), so again -- if your raid wanted Warriors in (and they should, because you want reasonably good class balance, as otherwise the gearing-up process becomes even more painful than it already was)... they would want the Warriors to tank. Effectively, there were a lot of social pressures against Druids tanking, but the arguments coming from numbers -- almost all myths.

Quote Originally Posted by Epoch View Post
    I was able to tank all of MC, BWL, AQ20, AQ40 and Naxx just fine as a druid during vanilla.
    I remember the discussions at the time, but I can't remember how Bear Druids (that weren't significantly over-geared) handled Nefarian's Druid Class Call (or if any did). Also, issues with Fear fights, at least on the Horde-side, or raids without a Dwarf Priest. Do you happen to remember how you handled those?

Quote Originally Posted by Corydon View Post
    Hiya folks,

so there is this thread "Paladins in Classic" and good information has been given there.

I personally am more interested in "Druids in Classic" since my current goal is to play a druid in classic. I used the search function to no avail so here's my thread now.

I'd like to know if druids were capable in all specs back in the vanilla days. Is there one role that they were particulary shining in or maybe lacking in?
    Was dual-spec even a thing in vanilla or was that introduced with a later expansion? If dual spec is a thing, I want to run a feral tank and a feral DD spec if that is a suitable venture.

What do you people say?
    Druid = healer and BRes bot in vanilla, there was no dual spec

Feral tank was border line viable but they could not hold a candle to the true only tank, Warriors. As for feral DD, they were not brought for the most part because they were a poor mans rogue that had worse limitations because positioning. You were useless on some fights because you could not get behind the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Anguirel View Post
    I remember the discussions at the time, but I can't remember how Bear Druids (that weren't significantly over-geared) handled Nefarian's Druid Class Call (or if any did). Also, issues with Fear fights, at least on the Horde-side, or raids without a Dwarf Priest. Do you happen to remember how you handled those?
    On Horde we had Tremor Totem, it was still a bit tricky since you could have bad pulse time RNG, but it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    As for feral DD, they were not brought for the most part because they were a poor mans rogue that had worse limitations because positioning. You were useless on some fights because you could not get behind the boss.
    There was this sweet spot on the side of the boss at rear legs where you could Backstab / Shred without getting tail swipes.
    Last edited by Hunterwep; 2018-05-03 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterwep View Post
    On Horde we had Tremor Totem, it was still a bit tricky since you could have bad pulse time RNG, but it worked.

There was this sweet spot on the side of the boss at rear legs where you could Backstab / Shred without getting tail swipes.
    C'Thun in the Stomach you could not get to the back side of the thing you had to kill. Thadius you would end up in front of him for half the fight or more if unlucky. To name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    To name a few.
    Think you named them all.

MC: All of them can be attacked from behind
    BWL: All of them can be attacked from behind
    AQ40: C'thun
    Naxxramas: Thadius during parts of the fight.

Melees HAD to attack bosses from behind so Tanks did not get insta-gibbed from Parry reset swing timers.

So yeah let us not play Feral because on 1.5 bosses in the entire game you have to attack from the front.
    Better not roll a Rogue either because they can't attack Onyxia during her air phase or attack KT during Frost Blast spread.