Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    I think this is the most egregious pedantry I've seen in awhile congrats.

"There is more to this than just "2005 deal got him freed" - even though that's exactly what happened."

Nothing you have said changes anything I've said.
    I think this is the most willfully ignorant thing I've seen in awhile. Congrats.

You're adorable - and we all enjoy your willful ignorance of the law and the justice system. Especially the part where you ignore the details. Like the split decision, and the fact that the state appellate court denied the appeal. But please go on about your ignorance pretending to be vocabulary while the rest of us have the adult conversation about how the law is all about the minutiae.

Nothing you have said changes anything I've said. (am I doing that right? )

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Lol okay. The fact it was a split decision really doesnt change what happened.
    Because knowing about the law and commenting on the law are the same thing?

I dunno what pretending to be vocabulary means, but sure dude.
    I know - don't worry about it. You've got bigger problems.

I'm not sure what you're doing at this point? Just being obnoxious? Definitely not adult conversation.
    That's abundantly clear from both your initial statements and your follow up shit posts.

There is something kinda funny about you mimicking my post while simultaneously trying to claim youre having an adult conversation.
    Possibly - but what's really hysterical is you not understanding why I mimicked your post.

There is literally no point in this, you just pointed out some details of the appeal which dont contradict what I said.
    For you, based on the willful ignorance you spew here, no, there isn't a point to you responding any more.

The best part of all this is that you have no idea what you're talking about, nor seem to remember what you originally said and what I was responding to; so, to use a legal term, let me refresh your memory. You said:
    Prosecutors in the US are so damn dirty. The number of people in prison because of dubious deals and shit is probably depressingly high.
    and
    You're telling me the prosecution cutting a deal with Cosby to testify in 2005 and then going against that deal allowing him to now get out on that technicality has nothing to do with prosecutors being so damn dirty?

I guess it could be pure incompetence, but I dunno, seems shady and shitty.
    and then you, lol, said:
    I think this is the most egregious pedantry I've seen in awhile congrats....
    Nothing you have said changes anything I've said.
    And you did all that because you literally forgot your original point, which was that the whole thing was shady, which clearly, it wasn't, because of the details surrounding the 2005 deal, the appeals, and the PA Supreme Court split decision.
    I told you the devil was in the details, gave you links to explain, and rather than ask questions, you did what most shit-posters do, lash out while wallowing in your own ignorance.

Which we all enjoyed. So thank you for that, at least.

But now that you understand what's going on (after admitting you didn't, see above), do you have any further questions - or does it all make sense to you? Because quite literally what happened demonstrably changed what you said. The details show quite clearly that nothing "shady" or "corrupt" was going on, and I have PA Supreme Court Justices who agree with me. And all you have is your ignorance of the law and how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'm wondering if there any other accusers who can still file charges within the SoL, and use the testimony from this criminal trial, sans the 2005 depo, and get Cosby another criminal trial.

And let's not forget that no matter what, we all know America's Dad is actually a convicted sex offender and sexual predator - even if he was released on a technicality.
    Therein lies the problem. Even if there are other accusers, they may look at this, and are possibly that much more discouraged to come forward. It takes a lot of courage to stand up in the first place for these victims. As a lawyer yourself, you have intimate knowledge to know what 3 years in prison can do as an 80+ man is hard time, but people have different perceptions on justice, and this can also be seen as discouraging to those seeking justice, him getting off on a technicality. I hope this doesn't make victims more reluctant to come out from their shell and seek justice.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Well, there is that.

I'm just glad that despite all of Cosby's money and his wife's insanity of "standing by him" he still go almost three years in a state prison. I'm gonna call that a win.

And that deal from 2005 must not have been THAT clear, because HEY HEY HEY, everyone knew about it, and it was still allowed as admissible, and he was still convicted.
    3 years for dozens of rape victims is by no means "A win". It's a punch in the gut to all his victims.

Dying in prison would be a win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Him being released has nothing to do with his guilt, believing victims, or any of that. Doesn't matter how many media sites and people on social media conveniently gloss over that fake. Its because the DA messed up. The DA violated his rights, very important rights that must be upheld because they are the same rights that protect innocent people and maintain some degree of intergrity. Just so happens that he gets to benefit from the DA's blunder. Its a hard pill the swallow but he shouldn't be in jail under the circumstances. Once you start picking and choosing what rights apply to some and what dont to others you create a system where the innocent are unjusticly punished.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2021-06-30 at 10:53 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    3 years for dozens of rape victims is by no means "A win". It's a punch in the gut to all his victims.

Pretty sure @cubby is hinting that the possibility it could have been 0 years.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I hope this doesn't make victims more reluctant to come out from their shell and seek justice.
    Sadly, it almost certainly will.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    That's not a win. That's "we could have lost worse".

Tell his victims "We could have lost worse"...see how much they feel like celebrating this "win"

Likely may be right, but with the whole metoo movement, weinstein etc, i'm hoping the needle was pushed enough that, while this is certainly a set back, it's not a full reset, if you know what I mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    How if you understand the circumstances of his release? He is only out because the DA messed up. No is saying he didn't do it (peoples who opininons matter), what the DA did can't be upheld due to reasons bigger than this one case.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2021-06-30 at 11:00 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

That's not a win. That's "we could have lost worse".

Tell his victims "We could have lost worse"...see how much they feel like celebrating this "win"
    If I was a victim I would call 3 years over 0 a win. Maybe that is just me.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    How if you understand the circumstances of his release? He is only out because the DA messed up. No is saying he didn't do it (peoples who opininons matter), what the DA did can't be upheld due to reasons bigger than this one case.
    It doesn't matter. I agree that, because of the DA fuck up, he had to be released.

It's still going to give victims more cause to stay silent...because, even though Cosby was found guilty, he still gets released.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Yes, exactly - thank you, that's indeed what I meant. 3 years for a rape is not a win, at all. However, 3 years for what essentially amounts to a cold case file with a major celebrity as the perpetrator, is a huge win for the system. Even overturned, Cosby spent 3 very tough years in prison, and has blindness and death to look forward to in his last few years.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean from the entire me too movement you just mentioned like the only other high profile case to actually face prosecution

- - - Updated - - -

You should go tell his victims that. Will probably go well.

Do me a favor and ask them if they would rather he got 0 or 3 and see how many say 3.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Therein lies the problem. Even if there are other accusers, they may look at this, and are possibly that much more discouraged to come forward. It takes a lot of courage to stand up in the first place for these victims. As a lawyer yourself, you have intimate knowledge to know what 3 years in prison can do as an 80+ man is hard time, but people have different perceptions on justice, and this can also be seen as discouraging to those seeking justice, him getting off on a technicality. I hope this doesn't make victims more reluctant to come out from their shell and seek justice.
    I hope is doesn't as well. I also think the statue of limitations has run on these acts - IIRC, the victim that got Cosby his conviction was only weeks away from the SoL running out. So even if the other victims have the courage to come forward and actually press charges, it might be too late.

I agree completely on your point regarding justice and the perceptions of time served, etc. And I tend to take an objective viewpoint on these things as well - actually, objective isn't the right word/phrase, more like a devil's advocate approach. And while I still think the three years will be damning to Cosby's overall health and his life, if I were the victim, I would not consider it justice. As @Egomaniac said, dying in prison would be justice.

If I was a victim I would call 3 years over 0 a win. Maybe that is just me.
    Imagine winning a Gold medal at the Olympics. That's a win. All the struggles and sacrifices you made finally pay off. Then a few years later that win is disqualified because someone other than you made a mistake and everything you won is taken from you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why I'm not the one trying to talk for them?

I'd appreciate the fact that this is probably a very rough thing to have to deal with and give them the privacy they deserve. And not purport to know how they feel.
    You are talking for them just as much as I am. Where did I say I was speaking for anyone? I mean you are the one claiming what they would think is a win or loss. Meanwhile I'm only speaking for myself.

Do me a favor and ask them if they would rather he got 0 or 3 and see how many say 3.
    Literally watching one of the victims right now on CNN argue that 3 years is better than 0 years. How cosby is Infamous now instead of famous, and will have to live the rest of his life in infamy regardless. It's about changing the laws so technicalities like this don't happen which this case was successful at doing in many states.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine winning a Gold medal at the Olympics. That's a win. All the struggles and sacrifices you made finally pay off. Then a few years later that win is disqualified because someone other than you made a mistake and everything you won is taken from you.
    apples to oranges. This wasn't a clear cut competition.

Accepting a smaller loss instead of a bigger loss is still not a win.

- - - Updated - - -

apples to oranges. This wasn't a clear cut competition.
    You're right. It isn't the same at all. The stakes were much higher here than a gold medal at the Olympics.

Accepting a smaller loss instead of a bigger loss is still not a win.
    That's why they still need to fight. Make sure there are no smaller losses and just wins.