Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    This is why necros need to be shut down.
    It's not really that old and people added to the conversation, who cares? It's the necros where someone responds to something years old and doesn't add to it that are a problem.

    OT: Decent tower coolers can beat out a lot of AiOs, tower coolers for life (if you're not doing open loop WC anyway)

  3. #23
    The best coolers are tower coolers, so it's logical to think that tower cooling is somehow more effective. I'm thinking it has to do with the layout and the length of the heatpipes, but I'm no engineer.

    Those top down coolers are good for cooling nearby components such as the NB and ram. This is one of the major advantage over the tower coolers, which barely cools the surrounding area. Another advantage would be it's shorter height, something very important for smaller pcs.

  4. #24
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,527
    Quote Originally Posted by barryallen1337 View Post
    The best coolers are tower coolers, so it's logical to think that tower cooling is somehow more effective. I'm thinking it has to do with the layout and the length of the heatpipes, but I'm no engineer.

    Those top down coolers are good for cooling nearby components such as the NB and ram. This is one of the major advantage over the tower coolers, which barely cools the surrounding area. Another advantage would be it's shorter height, something very important for smaller pcs.
    The reason tower coolers are better at cooling than top-down (flower style) coolers is because they have so much more surface area. More surface = more cooling

  5. #25
    I have an older noctua similar to the DS 15

    A large heat sink like that is by far the best solution from a noise and risk perpsective (water cooling your rig when noctua sells this sorta stuff is dumb)

    Bigger the better

  6. #26
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    I have an older noctua similar to the DS 15

    A large heat sink like that is by far the best solution from a noise and risk perpsective (water cooling your rig when noctua sells this sorta stuff is dumb)

    Bigger the better
    AiOs have almost no risk associated with them, and most decent brands will replace your components if they break due to a leak that wasn't caused by you installing it poorly (So if it broke because of manufacturing defects) so there's at most some wait associated with it. But price to performance is a thing, and AiO's fail at that. It's something you do for looks

    As for custom water cooling.. It's more something you do for fun rather than performance. Because it is *NOT* cheap.. For the price you can get a decent tower cooler/AiO you can get a decent block for your custom loop (No I'm not joking, a CPU block alone from the likes of EKWB go for 70+ euro, upwards of 150 depending on what you want)

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    AiOs have almost no risk associated with them, and most decent brands will replace your components if they break due to a leak that wasn't caused by you installing it poorly (So if it broke because of manufacturing defects) so there's at most some wait associated with it. But price to performance is a thing, and AiO's fail at that. It's something you do for looks

    As for custom water cooling.. It's more something you do for fun rather than performance. Because it is *NOT* cheap.. For the price you can get a decent tower cooler/AiO you can get a decent block for your custom loop (No I'm not joking, a CPU block alone from the likes of EKWB go for 70+ euro, upwards of 150 depending on what you want)
    yea yea yea loud pump plus fans shhhh

    stop justifying that crap

    go nitrogen or go air

  8. #28
    Impressive, this is like the 4th time this thread has been brought back from the dead.

  9. #29
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    yea yea yea loud pump plus fans shhhh

    stop justifying that crap

    go nitrogen or go air
    Wat?

    I never said anything about the sound either of them makes, I was talking about risks, performance, and price.
    There is no risks with AiOs, there is risk with custom
    There is no performance benefit with AiO's, and only minor benefits with custom depending on how overkill you go
    Both custom and AiO's fail on performance per dollar, HARD.

    That said, for sound.. If you go with enough radiators in a custom loop, you can make do with just a pump and have the rads passively dissipate the heat (though that's an extreme config that'll never really happen under load). But if you have everything running at full bore, yeah, a water cooling system will make more noise.

    And the only reason to go LN2 is for epeen measuring in benchmarking

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Wat?

    I never said anything about the sound either of them makes, I was talking about risks, performance, and price.
    There is no risks with AiOs, there is risk with custom
    There is no performance benefit with AiO's, and only minor benefits with custom depending on how overkill you go
    Both custom and AiO's fail on performance per dollar, HARD.

    That said, for sound.. If you go with enough radiators in a custom loop, you can make do with just a pump and have the rads passively dissipate the heat (though that's an extreme config that'll never really happen under load). But if you have everything running at full bore, yeah, a water cooling system will make more noise.

    And the only reason to go LN2 is for epeen measuring in benchmarking
    yea you were just pretending they were a good solution next to the noctua

    which is absurd

    stop, water cooling is for idiots. Period. Has been since they started putting out these giant heat sinks.

    The idea you would trust the thing for 5 years plus is absurd. And you get no real performance gains and it's way louder. Useless

  11. #31
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    yea you were just pretending they were a good solution next to the noctua

    which is absurd

    stop, water cooling is for idiots. Period. Has been since they started putting out these giant heat sinks.

    The idea you would trust the thing for 5 years plus is absurd. And you get no real performance gains and it's way louder. Useless
    They are equal performance to big tower coolers.

    They, subjectively, look better.

    Water cooling is for people who like the look of it more than big tower coolers.

    Most pumps last for 5 years no problems. There's no performance gain, true, but a decent one won't be much louder, if at all, than a big tower if you get decent fans for it. They have their use.

  12. #32
    i would suggest to go cpu coolers, because i am using it for years still no issues it is woring wiht out any issues

    - - - Updated - - -

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick16 View Post
    i would suggest to go cpu coolers, because i am using it for years still no issues it is woring wiht out any issues

    - - - Updated - - -
    Amazing, its back again.
    The thread that simply refuses to die. This is what, the 5th necro?

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    Amazing, its back again.
    The thread that simply refuses to die. This is what, the 5th necro?
    Water coolers still suck buy a big block of metal people

  15. #35
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    Water coolers still suck buy a big block of metal people
    They're more expensive but have the option of more surface area, which means more cooling capacity, which means slower fan speeds, which means quieter operation

    Also looks.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    They're more expensive but have the option of more surface area, which means more cooling capacity, which means slower fan speeds, which means quieter operation

    Also looks.
    pump guarantees higher not lower sound levels

    And it doesn't look better to anyone who knows what it is

  17. #37
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    pump guarantees higher not lower sound levels
    That's just.. Categorically not true. The quietest systems all use liquid cooling. Hell, if you have enough rads you can get away with just the pump running under even a medium load like gaming, and not have to turn on any fans at all.
    And even just for AIOs they're generally better at lower noise levels than air coolers because of the increased surface area and thermal mass due to the water, though that goes away in reviews since they measure at steady state instead of after 30 seconds or whatever.
    https://youtu.be/h10MU3Jebx0?t=497 Look at this, where the top 4 results (ignoring duplicates) are all liquid coolers, even beating out the NH-D15
    https://youtu.be/h10MU3Jebx0?t=703 Or if you just care about pure performance, oh look, top 5 performers are liquid coolers. What a shock.
    And it doesn't look better to anyone who knows what it is
    Oh no, people have different opinions than you on what looks nice, how terrible!

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    That's just.. Categorically not true. The quietest systems all use liquid cooling. Hell, if you have enough rads you can get away with just the pump running under even a medium load like gaming, and not have to turn on any fans at all.
    And even just for AIOs they're generally better at lower noise levels than air coolers because of the increased surface area and thermal mass due to the water, though that goes away in reviews since they measure at steady state instead of after 30 seconds or whatever.
    https://youtu.be/h10MU3Jebx0?t=497 Look at this, where the top 4 results (ignoring duplicates) are all liquid coolers, even beating out the NH-D15
    https://youtu.be/h10MU3Jebx0?t=703 Or if you just care about pure performance, oh look, top 5 performers are liquid coolers. What a shock.


    Oh no, people have different opinions than you on what looks nice, how terrible!
    You can get away with no fans on the block too....

    passive cooling wow

    never quieter

  19. #39
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    12,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    You can get away with no fans on the block too....
    But you're more limited in surface area. You can't really run a high-end chip like a 3900/3950x or a 10900k passively on air cooling while doing work. They'll overheat.

    passive cooling wow
    Read above

    never quieter
    Look at the video I linked. They're literally keeping the CPU cooler when limited to 35db, meaning you can run them even quieter for the same cooling performance.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    But you're more limited in surface area. You can't really run a high-end chip like a 3900/3950x or a 10900k passively on air cooling while doing work. They'll overheat.


    Read above


    Look at the video I linked. They're literally keeping the CPU cooler when limited to 35db, meaning you can run them even quieter for the same cooling performance.
    back to cost and durability problems

    pass

    and newsflash none of us do real work with our computers we game that's it. Our cellphones can do the rest.

    and even if we did it would be on company rigs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •