Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Warmode and the Future of World PvP - Bounties and Incentives

Battle for Azeroth Alpha - Build 26522

Warmode and the Future of wPvP - Incentives
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    We hope to have War Mode up very soon for everyone to try out. Until then, I’ll outline a few details:

Honor Talents enabled
    As mentioned by Ion and others, Honor Talents are on permanently while War Mode is enabled in the outdoor world. This was the case in Legion as well, but they would only enable when you got into “PvP combat” causing them to enable and disable while playing which ended up feeling a bit “janky.” Players may also find some added benefit with Honor Talents against normal PvE creatures as well, which is designed to be part of a “package of bonuses” to offset the inherit lost efficiency of World PvP.

Gear scaling
    In order to create a fair fights and good gameplay, our goal is to limit the extremes in power between players in War Mode that come from gear and level. We want you to have an advantage if your gear is better, but within reason. The experience should be something similar to Unrated Battlegrounds in Legion (but without the stat templates). Keep in mind this is scaling only in PvP combat, so your power against creatures in the world will remain the same as it would be with War Mode disabled.

Conquest and World PvP
    In Battle for Azeroth you’ll earn conquest for doing PvP activities similar to how it was gained in the past: Rated Arena and Rated Battlegrounds as well as some light conquest from Unrated Battlegrounds. But what’s new is earning conquest from doing World PvP activities. This gives you an additional source when filling up that “conquest bar” for your weekly conquest item.

Bounty Hunting
    How do you earn conquest in World PvP? One source is from killing other players, of course. But the more of the opposing faction you slay, the higher chance they will put a bounty on your head. When a bounty is put on you, it will be announced to all opposing players in the zone and you will appear on the main map for a reward. Good luck!

And more...
    While we have one or two other content features in War Mode we’ll share later on, one of our goals is to keep it minimal. As you point out Ion saying, we want to create a foundation first which we can hopefully build upon (with your feedback!) in the future.
    Last edited by chaud; 2018-05-01 at 04:34 AM.

Still won't make me PvP. I'll keep unflagged, thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ill never be the bounty because I suck, but all players in a zone gathering to one point to kill the bounty and then others sounds fun. Definitely wont have it on most of the time, but might get me to dabble here and there.

Now this ... this is an awesome idea. Someone had their thinking cap on, now those gankers become targets ... WOW

Bounty Hunting
    How do you earn conquest in World PvP? One source is from killing other players, of course. But the more of the opposing faction you slay, the higher chance they will put a bounty on your head. When a bounty is put on you, it will be announced to all opposing players in the zone and you will appear on the main map for a reward. Good luck!
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2018-05-01 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Now this ... this is an awesome idea. Someone had their thinking cap on, now those gankers become targets ... WOW

Bounty Hunting
    Wonder what's keeping somebody from just leaving and coming back real quick with a hearth/flight whistle/whatever. I guess without flying its not that bad, but with flying you could probably just fly over the zone border and back in like 30 seconds

Why can't PvP just go away from the dev's attention. Rather they spend more time on the main game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Why can't PvP just go away from the dev's attention. Rather they spend more time on the main game.
    Because player vs player is one of the best things about a mmorpg when done correctly, and it seems that BFA is going in the right direction so far

Why can't PvP just go away from the dev's attention.
    That's exactly the idea of war mode ... no more effort spent on special PvP servers etc.
    PvP now becomes an optional extra you do, rather than a major choice you made 10 years ago.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxinator View Post
    Because player vs player is one of the best things about a mmorpg when done correctly, and it seems that BFA is going in the right direction so far
    I mean, you're allowed to think that but honestly I don't see how. MMOs are about the PvE and always will be.

Bounty Hunting! Love it

Stood in the Fire Grimalkin of Old's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxinator View Post
    and it seems that BFA is going in the right direction so far
    They are making us believe next expansion will be great for PvP, ever since Cataclysm

I still kinda feel like I'll turn on pvp for the benefits in the very early days when each island is flooded with it's own faction, and turn it off quickly after and never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by familiar View Post
    They are making us believe next expansion will be great for PvP, ever since Cataclysm
    You don't think that the new War mode and this bounty hunt sounds like great additions to the pvp side of Wow?

haha bounty hunting sounds fun. (especially since i'll never be the target)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's still not enough to warrant hassle-free gameplay by never flagging yourself for PvP.

Try again, Blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Im afraid that flying will kill world pvp in bfa

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Ill never be the bounty because I suck, but all players in a zone gathering to one point to kill the bounty and then others sounds fun. Definitely wont have it on most of the time, but might get me to dabble here and there.
    Yeah. Reminds me of the bear druids and other OP classes running around the pvp towers wrecking people nonstop for the marks of prey and coins of blood.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    I mean, you're allowed to think that but honestly I don't see how. MMOs are about the PvE and always will be.
    That wouldn't be true even if you were only talking about MMORPGs. Granted, PVE is generally the main event for MMORPGs, but even then we have a few titles with a fairly significant focus on PVP, like Guild Wars 2 or Black Desert.

Then you have the other genres of MMOs to consider. For example, Planetside 2 is an MMOFPS, and has no PVE at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetox View Post
    Im afraid that flying will kill world pvp in bfa
    I'm sure that Blizz will disable flying in War Mode, since I don't think it'll work otherwise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    It's still not enough to warrant hassle-free gameplay by never flagging yourself for PvP.

Try again, Blizzard.
    if you think its a hassle then dont play in pvp mode, where is your problem ?
    this change is for people that don't think that open pvp is a hassle but rather that its the fun gameplay they want.