Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Any word on a like system for the forums?

I know this is listed as a common request in the sticky topic:

Q: Can you add like/dislike buttons to the forums?
    A: It's possible that this might be added in the future. The biggest problem regarding this suggestion is simply how large the site is, and trying to find a way to make it work for us. There's no sort of ETA on it happening. (Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.)
    but the sources linked in the post are from 2010-2011. That's a long time ago.

Just wondering if there was an update to whether this is still being actively considered? A think a like system provides good feedback as to how popular your post is within the community and would greatly benefit the forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    There would be far too much whining about it from unpopular posters.

But yes I'd enjoy a like/dislike system.
    Last edited by Dug; 2018-05-03 at 06:19 PM.

This System definetly has some pros... at least in theory.

But in reality (or from my experience) such a system IS ALWAYS BEING used for boosting egos, bullying/harassment, manipulation, begging for likes etc. and thus creating a circlejerk.

All in all, at least from my experience as a head moderator on a then large forum and from my experience from other forums with that enabled, such a system was never worth it (created many issues, but solved nothing)
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2018-05-03 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    This System definetly has some pros... at least in theory.

But in reality (or from my experience) such a system IS ALWAYS BEING used for boosting egos, bullying/harassment, manipulation, begging for likes etc. and thus creating a circlejerk.

All in all, at least from my experience as a head moderator on a then large forum and from my experience from other forums with that enabled, such a system was never worth it (created many issues, but solved nothing)
    I think the pros outweight the cons. Likes give you some idea of how your post is received by the community, and it also provides people the opportunity to like posts they think are good posts or that they agree with. To be clear I'm advocating for a like system, I'm against dislikes unless they are invisible (similar to youtube comments). I can't really see how having a like system would hurt more than help.

As for begging for likes, etc. It can be made so that begging for likes is worth an infraction, that'll stop that from happening pretty quickly.
    Last edited by Echoherb; 2018-05-03 at 06:53 PM.

Still low in the priority queue for me, but there. Maybe one day...

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Still low in the priority queue for me, but there. Maybe one day...
    What's high priority here?

Not being a dick, just curious.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    What's high priority here?

Not being a dick, just curious.
    Currently doing an upgrade of a caching plugin we use and trying to solve issues with the newer version.

After that, PHP version upgrade, blue tracker backend fixes, a few small forum bugs, cleanup of our AWS account, potentially fixing our tool we use for beta key giveaways if they decide to do giveaways again this year, updates to the tool we use to aggregate armory data, fixes and improvements for many of the tools I use to create content for the news posts. On top of all of that I am doing most of the content for the site, community things, and helping out with other initiatives here at the company.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Currently doing an upgrade of a caching plugin we use and trying to solve issues with the newer version.

After that, PHP version upgrade, blue tracker backend fixes, a few small forum bugs, cleanup of our AWS account, potentially fixing our tool we use for beta key giveaways if they decide to do giveaways again this year, updates to the tool we use to aggregate armory data, fixes and improvements for many of the tools I use to create content for the news posts. On top of all of that I am doing most of the content for the site, community things, and helping out with other initiatives here at the company.
    Shame I couldn't 'Like' that post - that being said thanks for the reply, I wasn't aware of all the things that go into this site on the back end.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Sure thing. There's easily enough work for two to three people, but I can only work so many hours a day!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Please no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone know of a website where a system like this hasn't been really really terrible? Everywhere I've seen it used it just ruins discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Anyone know of a website where a system like this hasn't been really really terrible? Everywhere I've seen it used it just ruins discussion.
    Guild Wars 2 has a like system, plus rewards if you accumulate a lot of likes. It's one of the most positive forums I've been on. Rewarding likes rewards making good (or popular) posts. It lets you know when the community agrees with something you said, and it allows you to give likes to posts you agree with or think are good posts. I think it's a good system.

The problems come if there are dislikes that are shown. If there is a dislike system, I think it should just take away likes, not show how many dislikes there are.

10+ Year Old Account
    because likes turn a forum into little more than a popularity contest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Echoherb View Post
    Guild Wars 2 has a like system, plus rewards if you accumulate a lot of likes. It's one of the most positive forums I've been on. Rewarding likes rewards making good (or popular) posts. It lets you know when the community agrees with something you said, and it allows you to give likes to posts you agree with or think are good posts. I think it's a good system.

The problems come if there are dislikes that are shown. If there is a dislike system, I think it should just take away likes, not show how many dislikes there are.
    criticism is a important part of any forum. sounds like more of a circlejerk to me.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    because likes turn a forum into little more than a popularity contest.

- - - Updated - - -

criticism is a important part of any forum. sounds like more of a circlejerk to me.
    But GenOT and other sub forums are already massive circlejerks.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    But GenOT and other sub forums are already massive circlejerks.
    really i don't see any circlejerking.
    also is that really an argument for making it more of a circlejerk? "oh let's just make a bad situation worse"
    the only exception is the politics forum which is basically a gigantic trump hatefest and a certain poster screaming about how nazi's are hiding under his bed.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Like systems typically just result in an echo chamber. You get the most popular demographic liking the same type of things over and over and everything else is ignored.

Deleted

Uah, that sounds horrific. Like a certain Black Mirror episode... I would even prefer a pure troll forum abusing that function over the one you described.

Counter productive because high quality posts will often get downvoted, and popular trash upvoted.

That's what led Reddit to become the cesspool it is.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know this is listed as a common request in the sticky topic:

but the sources linked in the post are from 2010-2011. That's a long time ago.

Just wondering if there was an update to whether this is still being actively considered? A think a like system provides good feedback as to how popular your post is within the community and would greatly benefit the forums.
    I find such a system doesn’t promote any actual discussion. The popularity is only based on how pleasant people find your post, not how informative, interesting or meaningful it is.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Unnecessary and useless fluff that encourages the opposite of critical thinking.

Just check for replies and be your own judge.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.