Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Frost mage rotation

Hello i have checked some guides to learn frost. My dps is a bit low for my ilvl. 959eq. I am using antorus tier set. Head and wrist leg. My rotation for single target ebonbolt, frostbolt , flurry, ice lance ,frost bolt until proc then flurry ice lance , continue frostbolt again. If i get fingers of frost i hit ice lance after frostbolt. For multi adding orb and blizzard on cd. Talents lonely winter, shimmer, incanters flow, splitting ice, unstable magic, thermal void. Any advice?

Hey pal.

Do you have any logs you can provide us so we can get a closer look?
    Do you have a armorylink so we check your stat weights?

First of your rotation is slightly wrong. Opener will always be Pre pot > Ebonbolt > Flurry > Pop Icy Veins > Ice Lance > Frozen Orb. After this you seach for FoF & Flurry procs.
    If you have Flurry proc available and a FoF proc you should cast it with a Frostbolt first then follow with Flurry and Ice Lance.

Always orb, even ST. Blizzard while it's instant, or enough targets are there. Secondary stats are crit to 33.3% haste to around 21% (forgot the exact number) then versatility, mastery is mostly ignorable. It's Ebonbolt->Flurry->Icelance so everything crits. Whenever possible without wasting proccs cast a Frostbolt before Flurry. It profits from the debuff and a crit will reduce Icy Veins cooldown. Make sure to have Orb and Ebonbolt ready for IV, since it increases damage and the Ice Lances will prolong it. If necessary I'd even cast Blizzard ST to get Orb ready some seconds earlier (for example at Hasabel).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyran View Post
    Hey pal.

First of your rotation is slightly wrong. Opener will always be Pre pot > Ebonbolt > Flurry > Pop Icy Veins > Ice Lance > Frozen Orb. After this you seach for FoF & Flurry procs.
    If you have Flurry proc available and a FoF proc you should cast it with a Frostbolt first then follow with Flurry and Ice Lance.
    You should pop IV right as the Ebonbolt cast finishes and not after flurry, but otherwise this is correct.

OT: Can't really help you without seeing logs or anything.

Spam frostbolt, fall asleep because you're not getting any procs, repeat

spam frostbolt... nothing more is needed.

Frost rotation seems complicated

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    Frost guide 7.3

Use ebonbolt on CD
    Use orb on CD unless you know there are adds soon and you can get off some big ice lances
    Flurry whenever you get brainfreeze
    Always icelance after you flurry
    Icelance at 5 icicles, hold onto your fingers of frost until you get 5 icicles so you don't have to cast a weak ice lance
    Frostbolt
    Proftit?
    You can ignore Icicles entirely unless you're playing with Glacial Spike.
    If you gain a 6th, the oldest one will fire off automatically.
    Ice Lance's power is unaffected by Icicles, its just the trigger that causes any current Icicles to fire, giving you slightly increased burst. The only time this would matter in raids is during a Brain Freeze combo, and they don't travel fast enough to take advantage of the shatter buff (as far as i can tell).

Frost guide 7.3

Use ebonbolt on CD
    Use orb on CD unless you know there are adds soon and you can get off some big ice lances
    Icelance at 5 icicles, hold onto your fingers of frost until you get 5 icicles so you don't have to cast a weak ice lance
    Frostbolt
    Proftit?
    Tried to write a sarcastic simplified comment and still got it wrong. Whoops.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Frost guide 7.3

Use ebonbolt on CD
    Frostbolt
    Proftit?
    The hell is this? This shit should be banned lol, blatant misinformation for god knows what reason...
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Hey pal.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/charact...-nether/posaka

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking.../17#metric=dps

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldor666 View Post
    Frost rotation seems complicated
    frost rotation is quite dynamic, but only if you have 3 Clarity relics, otherwise its frostbolt to death

Thanks for the logs.

Your stat weights are completely wrong. You lack so much crit that you probably lose around 200K DPS because of that.
    You NEED to get to 33-34% crit without Acrid trinket and 30/31% with Acrid trinket. After that it's basically Haste > Versatility > Mastery > Crit.

I would strongly advice you to sim your character and use the Pawn Addon to set stat weights on your character and find the best gear in your bags.

Why dont you use Frost Orb? It generates FoF procs that is doing most of our damage as frost mage.

The reasons why your DPS is lacking is mainly because of the stats and for some reason you avoid using Frost Orb.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WurstKaeseSzenario View Post
    Blizzard while it's instant
    why.

stop.

Cast Orb, it's a single target spell.

Why does your Frostbolt have a higher crit rate than Ice Lance on H Vari, aka Patchwerk? 53 casts to 13 FoF/28 BF?

I'm in physical pain here.

Why do I do this at 1:30 in the morning... I'm taking something for my headache and going to bed, hopefully no one flames you that badly before I get back to this.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy fuck I genuinely never knew that, I guess I thought the spec couldn't be that simple

Why do you people have to hurt me?
    Last edited by Kuni Zyrekai; 2018-05-04 at 08:38 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgemnusratsl View Post
    Hello i have checked some guides to learn frost. My dps is a bit low for my ilvl. 959eq. I am using antorus tier set. Head and wrist leg. My rotation for single target ebonbolt, frostbolt , flurry, ice lance ,frost bolt until proc then flurry ice lance , continue frostbolt again. If i get fingers of frost i hit ice lance after frostbolt. For multi adding orb and blizzard on cd. Talents lonely winter, shimmer, incanters flow, splitting ice, unstable magic, thermal void. Any advice?
    You need 2 set and 4 set bonus if you want to be able to compete so 4 set tier 21 and 2 set tier 20.
    Secondly, you want to do ebonbolt, icy veins, flurry, icelance, one or two frostbolts so the boss is positioned, frozen orb, and then proc fishing with frost bolts.
    For single target use unstable magic and frozen touch, for multi target use the splitting ice and the one that makes blizzard do more dmg.
    When you orb is doing dmg you can instantly cast blizzard, and every time blizzard tic's on a target your frozen orb cd will go down by 1 second. This makes 2 piece tier 20 very strong.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    For single target use unstable magic and frozen touch,
    I said I was going to bed but.

SI > FT single target.
    When you orb is doing dmg you can instantly cast blizzard, and every time blizzard tic's on a target your frozen orb cd will go down by 1 second. This makes 2 piece tier 20 very strong.
    Wrong.

Thanks for the logs.

Your stat weights are completely wrong. You lack so much crit that you probably lose around 200K DPS because of that.
    You NEED to get to 33-34% crit without Acrid trinket and 30/31% with Acrid trinket. After that it's basically Haste > Versatility > Mastery > Crit.

I would strongly advice you to sim your character and use the Pawn Addon to set stat weights on your character and find the best gear in your bags.

Why dont you use Frost Orb? It generates FoF procs that is doing most of our damage as frost mage.

The reasons why your DPS is lacking is mainly because of the stats and for some reason you avoid using Frost Orb.
    Thanks for advices. I will try to have correct stat items.
    I am new to mage raiding so sometimes forget to use some skills .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    You need 2 set and 4 set bonus if you want to be able to compete so 4 set tier 21 and 2 set tier 20.
    Secondly, you want to do ebonbolt, icy veins, flurry, icelance, one or two frostbolts so the boss is positioned, frozen orb, and then proc fishing with frost bolts.
    For single target use unstable magic and frozen touch, for multi target use the splitting ice and the one that makes blizzard do more dmg.
    I lvled this character to 110 around december. So i dont have tos tier or any raid loot from tos.
    Tos raiding is a pain with pug, so i did not try to have even for my main upgraded items.. ( main had tos 915 shoulder. 935 chest)
    Basically i want to learn how to get good dps , understanding of mage.
    Thanks for talent advices , i will test after stat weight correction
    Last edited by Mgemnusratsl; 2018-05-04 at 09:37 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    I said I was going to bed but.

SI > FT single target.
    Hmm, i just did a sim and it seems you are right, on my ilvl it makes 4k difference, weird though as it makes FT useless.

Wrong.
    Okay, its 0.5 seconds. But the point still stands.
    Last edited by mmoc4a3002ee3c; 2018-05-04 at 10:06 AM.

Deleted
    Well, you've gotten alot of good answers.

OPENING PRE POT --> EBONBOLT --> POP ZE MIGHTY ICY VEINS --> FLURRY --> ICE LANCE --> FROST ORB -->

ROTATION FROSTBOLT --> When you get BRAINFREEZE --> FLURRY and instantly after ICE LANCE. Then back to FROSTBOLT and when you proc FINGERS OF FROST you go FROSTBOLT --> ICE LANCE. ALWAYS EBONBOLT --> FLURRY --> ICE LANCE on cooldown.

GEAR Dont know everything here so i won't mention anything.

STATS Like speakers before....

I am ilvl 938. ST i am steady at 1.3, if i get good proccs i am able to stay at 1.5.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgemnusratsl View Post
    I lvled this character to 110 around december. So i dont have tos tier or any raid loot from tos.
    Tos raiding is a pain with pug, so i did not try to have even for my main upgraded items.. ( main had tos 915 shoulder. 935 chest)
    Basically i want to learn how to get good dps , understanding of mage.
    Thanks for talent advices , i will test after stat weight correction
    I'll probably catch some flack for this, but at this point in the expansion, I would recommend focusing on getting 4p T21 and then off-tier pieces with the correct stats and highest ilvl.

Quite frankly, you're not going for record parses. The high-end raiders have had WAY too much time to become optimized with Titanforged loot, so you could only hope to beat them with a lucky streak that would rival Rasputin's run at immortality.

Your best bet is to improve your rotation and learn the correct priorities. Most of them have already been outlined but I'll list a few of the major ones:
    - Get your crit between 30-33%, and keep it there
    - Focus on Haste and Vers after Crit, roughly balancing the two
    - Learn and master Frost's combos, use at EVERY available opportunity
    - EB>Flurry>IL
    - FB>Flurry>IL
    - Use FO basically on CD, the only reason to delay is by waiting 5-10 sec for a big group of adds to spawn
    - In your opener, drop the first FB. Use Flurry right after EB
    - Only use Blizzard on ... 3+ targets? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    - Use Arctic Gale instead of Unstable Magic unless you're hard-optimizing for single target. You won't notice a difference single target, but its AoE is FAR superior.
    - Brain Freeze procs are the majority of your DPS potential, DO NOT WASTE THEM
    - Fingers of Frost procs are very nice, AVOID WASTING THEM, BUT BRAIN FREEZE IS HIGHER PRIORITY
    - ???
    - Profit, and have fun playing a Mage!