Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Almost a year has passed: What is your opinion on Path of Fire?

Greetings champions, good to see you all, as always! Long time no see!

So, almost a year has passed already (8 months to be more specific). That's a good time to analyse the "new" expansion. I'll make some topics - if you want to answer them, that would be cool.

What is your overall opinion of Path of Fire?

Compared to Heart of Thorns, do you think that this expansion is better?

What do you think about the current storyline/living story?

Do you like the new elite specs?

If you could give this xpac a numerical score, what would it be?

and most importantly: are you still playing GW2?

See you soon! Be well

Better than Thorns by far.

Elite specs have worked out every good.

Still a lack of stuff to do at end game that is ultimately killing the game.

Not playing.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

I thought the story was fun, and I really enjoy Crystal Oasis & Desert Highlands. The other zones can fuck off though. Haven't been to Istan or any of the LW zones since I don't have money for gems, though.

I didn't care for any of the Heart of Thorns zones, so I think PoF did that better.

I like the elite specs for the most part. I love Weaver and Soulbeast. Really sad about how Deadeye turned out though.

Probably a 7 or 8 out of 10.

I'm playing until Battle for Azeroth comes out.

Thousand times better than Heart of Thorns except for elite specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zillbert View Post
    I thought the story was fun, and I really enjoy Crystal Oasis & Desert Highlands. The other zones can fuck off though. Haven't been to Istan or any of the LW zones since I don't have money for gems, though.

I didn't care for any of the Heart of Thorns zones, so I think PoF did that better.

I like the elite specs for the most part. I love Weaver and Soulbeast. Really sad about how Deadeye turned out though.

Probably a 7 or 8 out of 10.

I'm playing until Battle for Azeroth comes out.
    If you logged in while the living episode was going on, you don't need to pay gems for it, you get it for free. You should at the very least still be able to get A Bug in the System for free if you login now.

10+ Year Old Account
    PoF is funner than HoT. HoT had a lot more depth. What PoF lacks in content it makes up being in a far more streamlined and enjoyable experience. Good maps, good events (though lacking compared to HoTs epic metas), smooth story (HoTs had a lot more lore and depth but also a lot of rough edges), balanced (lets just accept that core specs are underpowered. From a standalone perspective all the POF specs are useful).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Better than Thorns by far.

Elite specs have worked out every good.

Still a lack of stuff to do at end game that is ultimately killing the game.

Not playing.
    I'd say PoFs one raid and fractal are more challenging than the ones we got during the HoT era. PoF is definitely missing a raid wing, a new fractal has been confirmed.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Still play regularly, I think it is a very good expansion, betterso than Heart of thorns. Was undecided on mounts in the beginning but as i've played more i've come to enjoy them a lot. The bounty system is pretty good and so is the story installments (if only they came out more frequently :b) Would've enjoyed a big World boss instead of the legendary bounties to be in the crystal desert, other than that im good.
    some elite speccs are pretty dope (holomancer) others, not so much ( deadeye / mirage ) - alltough i've seen people enjoy em all so i guess they cant be too bad.
    score would be 8/10 for me.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

I skipped HoT and came back a month after PoF launched to the game, so I’ve had loads of content to qade through.

All in all it’s a good expansion, more solo friendly than HoT but not as epic since there are no metas except for Vabbi, which is too hard to do except for organized community runs.

PoF-wise, I’m finished with the endgame content, all collections completed etc., as for the way the Gen 2 leggies can be crafted through PoF, it’s much more mindnumbing than HoT and leggies are the endgame. I grinded for all the PoF leggies so I’ve got 1500 incense and 6 gifts of the rider (2400 elegy mosaics, plus the collection) and halfway through it was painful.

There’s no endgame to score with PoF since it encompasses the whole game, but the levelling experience was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    If you logged in while the living episode was going on, you don't need to pay gems for it, you get it for free. You should at the very least still be able to get A Bug in the System for free if you login now.
    I have Bug, but not the first one.

the game still has a major problem of having no in game rewards. everything is tossed into the gem store, shit that shouldnt belong there, like helmet skins, backpacks, gloves... some shit needs to be able to be earned from doing things in the game, and not just farming gold.

i dont care for most of the elite specs, and the metas have ruined the economy.

Deleted
    - - - Updated - - -

Haha, you can still get lot of great looking skins from the game itself by either doing dungeons, fractals, competitive gamemodes, crafting, achievements etc. Most of the skins on TP are Gliders, Mounts and Outfits. But for example conventional player like me uses their gold -> gems to buy things like permanent Salvage Kits, extra inventory space, Bank space etc.

Checking Human Female armor skin sets at guild wars wiki: Only 7 of the skin sets out of 58 are with gems for 500-800 gems each (6 skin pack for less than 300 gold which is doable in 1 day).

Elite specs change the gameplay of your class, they're basically completely new class with option to use old skills if you want to, if you don't like them it is fine. Their original intention was to add additional class mechanics to the existing classes. I love each one of them in some way, and so do the people who main them.

Anyways Guild Wars 2 has no real gear grind progress like in WoW/BDO + 0 P2W content, meaning there isnt much to do for anti social PvE player (surprise, MMOs require socializing and making friends) that only likes 1 class once they finish all the PvE content. Still it is over 500 hours of content which is way more than you would get from any other game for the same price. (35 euros/dollars for BOTH the expansions atm if you use code WelcomeToGW2 at official guild wars 2 store, otherwise 45-50)

I really liked both the HoT and PoF expansions. However, I spent more time just happily roaming around the HoT zones whereas in PoF I've essentially just done the main stories and episode stories and that's about it. Not sure why but I never have the "I just want to wander this zone" thing I had with HoT.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I really liked both the HoT and PoF expansions. However, I spent more time just happily roaming around the HoT zones whereas in PoF I've essentially just done the main stories and episode stories and that's about it. Not sure why but I never have the "I just want to wander this zone" thing I had with HoT.
    It was easier to get lost in HoT, so there's that.

I do find the PoF zones better, but also too big at times. Some of the areas are really diverse with some neat touches, and 3 miles of sand in between...

Really, I still tend to the original zones the most. I really liked the new Ep2 zone, but after getting the objectives completed I haven't been back in a while. I think Bloodstone Fen is the only added zone I revisit semi-regularly.

I like Gliding, but I like Mounts better.
    I like most of the HoT elite specs, but PoF elite specs are much more game-changing for me I think.
    Partly I'm sure it depends on what you played, Necromancer core and Reaper were great, but I still don't like Scourge.
    Meanwhile, Holosmith made me play Engineer, Firebrand made me play Guardian. Mesmer always held a place in my heart, and I love Mirage.
    Daredevil probably beats Sniper, but both feel enough like core thief that I don't mind.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    What is your overall opinion of Path of Fire?

Mounts are good, the story was OK. I didn't much care for the zones and I don't think I've been back in any of them since about the 2nd week after PoF launch. There's just nothing to do in them as soon as you've completed them once.

Compared to Heart of Thorns, do you think that this expansion is better?

No. HoT zones had far more replay value, a lot better events, and they are more fun imo to run around in.

What do you think about the current storyline/living story?

Can't really remember what the story is about right now.

Do you like the new elite specs?

Mirage can go die in a fire and Deadeye is kinda boring but the rest are nice.

If you could give this xpac a numerical score, what would it be?

Maybe like a 6½/10.

and most importantly: are you still playing GW2?

Haven't played since December/January but I'm considering sticking my nose in for a while again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kheath812 View Post
    the game still has a major problem of having no in game rewards. everything is tossed into the gem store, shit that shouldnt belong there, like helmet skins, backpacks, gloves... some shit needs to be able to be earned from doing things in the game, and not just farming gold.

i dont care for most of the elite specs, and the metas have ruined the economy.
    Raids come with skins. Most lsw episode comes with skins or something to grind out. People just dont want to get them.

There needs to be mount skins tied to some achieve/rare drop

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool expansion, nice zones, better than the previous zones.

Not sure what the point of playing the game full time is after getting all Ascended armour. Fractals are pretty cool, so I guess there is that. Can't be bothered with raids, since none of my friends play the game, or at any decent level of the game and I don't fancy doing them with a bunch of randoms.

I've started playing again, had stopped shortly after PoF came out. Got both of the living stories to do, after I've done them, not sure I'll continue playing, depends if I find anything worth doing.

Love it! Started playing again as I was getting burned out by Legion, cant get away now lol. My gf and I are totally hooked

Welp, got to play a bit more and now that my firebrand is fully unlocked and I retooled to my gimpy shaman build, which I'm surprised seems to work as well as it does for solo and open world events, I'm enjoying myself quite a lot. Been a while since I stayed up so late playing GW2 and needing to force myself to get some sleep before work. The zones are so much better than HoT for me and I like how masteries are important but seem like less of a gigantic barrier.

Still have a lot to go in just the expansion story (just getting my springer now) but this is a very big improvement for me over HoT. Kinda mad at myself for waiting this long to pick it up, but oh well.

Edit: Seriously though, firebrand is so much fun. It's legit what I always wanted guardian to be...now I just need to actually remember what all the new abilities do because hot damn I'm bad at this shit and learning 15 new weapon skills at once (plus a few secondary skills) is a bit much, lol.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2018-06-18 at 07:39 AM.

It's still way too over tuned for normal players. Compared to HoT it's just as bad IMO.

I may not be in full ascended gear (only have two pieces) but I am in full exotics and have made sure to create a build that is a good balance of defense and offense and I still get one to three shot by mobs; often times even when dodging and rolling out of the way of certain mechanics too.

I find myself to be a pretty good player of most MMO's on the market and GW2 feels just way over the top. Either I can't get the way this game works combat wise or the mobs hit way too bloody hard.

I will say though the art team that worked on PoF and HoT are amazing. Some of the vistas that I discovered by happenstance are just breathtaking at times. The armor sets look great, and the animations for skills are amazing to look at. It just sucks that it's hard to enjoy that whenever you're constantly dead on the ground.

Took me only three days to put the game back down and uninstall. Makes me sad.

P.S. Also, the community around GW2 is great. Always helpful and nice people.
    Last edited by Zelliaind; 2018-06-22 at 08:52 AM.

Welp, 3 zones complete now (minus a few mastery points I need to unlock the jackal to access). I'm still really digging PoF zones, they're infinitely more approachable than HoT zones but still have plenty of secrets/nooks and crannies and some decent verticality built. Really dig that they make good use of the 3 main mounts though, especially now that I learned you can keybind each one of them for easier access.

Campaign was pretty cool too, and hot damn that last fight was rad. Mechanically pretty cool and visually awesome as shit. I have no problems with the extra $30ish I dropped on the game to pick up the endless harvesting tools/salvage kit. Totally getting my moneys worth in terms of enjoyment.