Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Better than Thorns by far.

Elite specs have worked out every good.

Still a lack of stuff to do at end game that is ultimately killing the game.

Not playing.
    Completely agree with you.

I liked the events in HoT, but only two zones were really worth playing.

I agree, much better than Heart of Thorns. I really like the mount system, new maps, and the story was pretty good, but I just can't keep playing for long and not sure why. I think I am too used to gear treadmill design from WoW compared to the horizontal progression GW2 has. The mount system and mastery system was a cool way to add progression, but still seems lacking a bit.

A bit of an update from my post a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormscale View Post
    Hey matey, I'll assume that you come from a WoW-like MMO background and it does take some getting used to the new combat style in GW2. While the controls feel deceptively similar to WoW-like games, combat plays out quite differently.

For the most part mobs are not supposed to hit you, so any major attack will be "telegraphed" and you are meant to avoid it either by moving out of the way or using your "dodge" charges. Combat is GW2, at least in the open world, is not so much about maximizing your DPS but outlasting your enemies.

I had a similar experience, coming from WoW, when starting with GW2 and found myself dying quite frequently. Once you get to grips with how the game "is meant to be played" you'll find that its not too hard at all. It's just a change of pace.

Amazing game overall!
    Yeah, I do come from World of Warcraft, been an avid player of it since around the middle of Vanilla. I recently threw BfA in the trash because of how awful it is and decided to give GW2 another try to supplement my FFXIV addiction. It took me a while to find a class that I actually enjoy and can use as a crutch to learn the mechanics of the game a bit better (went with a minion build Reaper) and I'm doing much better now. I gave Mirage a try but couldn't get used to not being able to dodge and kept getting hit by stuff.

Overall, every so often I get absolutely destroyed by a random roving NPC and still die to some bullshit mechanic, but I'm slowly getting better due to Reaper having such good sustain and defense that I can afford to make a mistake or two before recovering from my blunder and ultimately killing the mob. I'm also starting to dip my toe into Fractals and WvW.

I will say, however, that the end game for GW2 (minus Fractals) is sorely lacking. If I were to raid I'd want to be a GS/Staff Reaper and I'm not even sure if that's in the meta for raids as I haven't checked. I wouldn't want to play a elite spec/class that I don't enjoy just to get into certain types of content. It's a bit nitpicky but that's my only gripe at this time to be honest.

TL;DR - My previous assessment still sort of stands with the mobs being overtuned, but actually killing them and surviving the encounter is much more rewarding. In Warcraft, I can solo elite mobs as a Fury Warrior (DPS) with little in the way of moving out of the way of mechanics. Raids should be a little more accessible to non-hardcore players that want to play a class/spec they enjoy instead of playing the meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelliaind View Post
    A bit of an update from my post a few months ago.

I will say, however, that the end game for GW2 (minus Fractals) is sorely lacking. If I were to raid I'd want to be a GS/Staff Reaper and I'm not even sure if that's in the meta for raids as I haven't checked. I wouldn't want to play a elite spec/class that I don't enjoy just to get into certain types of content. It's a bit nitpicky but that's my only gripe at this time to be honest.

TL;DR - My previous assessment still sort of stands with the mobs being overtuned, but actually killing them and surviving the encounter is much more rewarding. In Warcraft, I can solo elite mobs as a Fury Warrior (DPS) with little in the way of moving out of the way of mechanics. Raids should be a little more accessible to non-hardcore players that want to play a class/spec they enjoy instead of playing the meta.

Usually i'd respond to this type of comment with full blown hate.
    Since you're a semi-new player, i'd like to go into a detail with what you've written here.

I believe that majority of casual players - which you are -, mistake the term "Meta"with being "Viable at all"
    What you mention above: GS/Staff Reaper, with god knows what stats are you even running in open world combat
    Is simply - not viable at all in raid/fractal scenario - [Nor it should be]
    To put it so you'll understand it: - [WoW] it's like bringing a resto druid in raid scenario and expecting him to be top dps.
    It's just not compatable.
    What you want is to be able to bring again: [WoW] Rogue, into a fight that requires ranged DPS for it to be a "safe/meta"run

- Apart from that, when you run open world contant, "self given buffs"are very important: Stacks of Might/Protection uptime
    I'll get "downed"as well, if i were to play condi-mirage in open world without myself being able to provide any buffs, against a mob that's elite and so.

Reaper is a nub/trap class, in Raids it's semi-useless, because the design of that class is flawed
    [Reaper requires you to prioritize chill combo fields, however in raid scenario the combo field will varry because of other raiders, if "tech/design"vise, reaper had a trait with which you could only prioritize your own combo fields that you generate, it'd be VIABLE, choice then]

Here're couple of classes that might interest you for raiding, that have easy rotation and do meta DPS.
    1. Guard [Dragonhunter]
    2. Engi [ Holosmith]
    3. Thief [ Deadeye/Daredevil ]

Everything else requires a bit of work, the holosmith one is a how a decent rotation should look like.

- Also stats are MOST important aspect in gw2, since there's no gear that scales after ascended.
    Right stats for right playstyle is most important
    Condi DMG/Power dmg, depending on the way you're building that class to work/what it can do.

Also, i strongly believe that - no player should be able to waltz into a raid with w/e gear w/e stats w/e build, just because it feels nice to him, and expect to be rewarded with the boss-kill in raid scenario.
    For that you have LFR in WoW

Quote Originally Posted by John Freeman View Post
    Usually i'd respond to this type of comment with full blown hate.
    Since you're a semi-new player, i'd like to go into a detail with what you've written here.
    Thanks for that. While I have played since it came out, I'm positive that I'm still a new player being that I regularly pick up the game for a month or two and then put it back down. It just doesn't seem to grab my attention like other games.

I believe that majority of casual players - which you are -, mistake the term "Meta"with being "Viable at all"
    What you mention above: GS/Staff Reaper, with god knows what stats are you even running in open world combat
    Is simply - not viable at all in raid/fractal scenario - [Nor it should be]
    To put it so you'll understand it: - [WoW] it's like bringing a resto druid in raid scenario and expecting him to be top dps.
    It's just not compatable.
    What you want is to be able to bring again: [WoW] Rogue, into a fight that requires ranged DPS for it to be a "safe/meta"run
    That's a good analogy and makes perfect sense. I certainly wouldn't want to bring a Resto Druid for DPS or a Rogue for ranged DPS. I think my confusion is more, as you said, Meta and Viable. When I read Meta, for some reason my brain interprets that as "this is the only build that you can bring to a raid. Point. Dot. Period." Is there an in between of Meta and not viable? Just curious, like a middle ground class/spec? In some cases I can understand certain builds just won't be practical in a raid environment however--look at the state Shaman is in BfA, very few people want to bring them to progression runs due to their under performing numbers in all specs.

- Apart from that, when you run open world contant, "self given buffs"are very important: Stacks of Might/Protection uptime
    I'll get "downed"as well, if i were to play condi-mirage in open world without myself being able to provide any buffs, against a mob that's elite and so.
    I'm seeing that as well that Might and Protection up time out in open world content is crucial. I tried Condi-mirage as well (trying to find a good class to play that keeps my attention this go around) and was regularly getting smashed. So I can see how it's more important. With Reaper GS/Staff running a pet build and toughness from each pet I get, I notice that I can survive much longer utilizing those buffs (or are they called Boons here?).

Reaper is a nub/trap class, in Raids it's semi-useless, because the design of that class is flawed
    [Reaper requires you to prioritize chill combo fields, however in raid scenario the combo field will varry because of other raiders, if "tech/design"vise, reaper had a trait with which you could only prioritize your own combo fields that you generate, it'd be VIABLE, choice then]
    Now I'm starting to see what you mean by this point. It's like bringing a DPS Warrior to a raid in Classic WoW where people only wanted Warriors to be tanks because of the strength of Prot versus DPS. Some classes, despite how many elite specializations and talents they have, just won't fit into a raid environment. They might be better suited for WvW, SPvP, etc.

Here're couple of classes that might interest you for raiding, that have easy rotation and do meta DPS.
    1. Guard [Dragonhunter]
    2. Engi [ Holosmith]
    3. Thief [ Deadeye/Daredevil ]
    I have a Deadeye and I do enjoy him. He's the furthest along in the Living Story than my other characters because of the sheer power they have with Rifle/PP. I gave Daredevil a go but didn't really have as much fun as I did with Deadeye. I'll have to give Holosmith and Dragonhunter a try once I have those respective classes up to 80. Cheers for the recommendations.

- Also stats are MOST important aspect in gw2, since there's no gear that scales after ascended.
    Right stats for right playstyle is most important
    Condi DMG/Power dmg, depending on the way you're building that class to work/what it can do.
    I'm really starting to see this now that I'm playing far longer than in my previous attempts at GW2. Before my stats were all out of whack but now that I'm doing T1 Fractals and actually looking at my stats rather than half-assing it, I'm noticing once I get the right stuff put in the right places that I'm able to stay up or do damage longer. I swear, I used to be good at MMO's, I think WoW just spoiled me with it's handholding all these years.

Also, i strongly believe that - no player should be able to waltz into a raid with w/e gear w/e stats w/e build, just because it feels nice to him, and expect to be rewarded with the boss-kill in raid scenario.
    For that you have LFR in WoW
    This is true. You've changed my opinion slightly with your post. I may keep my Reaper as my run around the world toon and do my Deadeye as a raid character if I ever decide to go that route. Cheers for your in depth post and not flaming the shit out of me. I'm not wearing my flame retardant suit today. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    You can raid with a Reaper but you have to be really really good. If you mess up in a pug they'll kick you.

GW2s meta is in a decent place. Its been a lot worse. All classes work in open world, and I'm not talking just sitting there while waiting for someone to come help you kill something. I'm talking being able to kill Elites (or Champs). Any class can whip up a build to get it down in a reasonable amount of time.

Fractal and Raids are in a solid place too. There will always be those who think only X or Y comp works...which is false. For one, a class is only as good as one can play it. A Holosmith can put up stupid numbers, but that's only if the person can play it properly. The same person might be able to achieve higher dps as a thief than on a holo even though a holo has better benchmarks. GW2 benchmarks only apply to a handful of actual fights.

Each class has multiple builds that work well in fractals/raids.

Ele - 5
    Engi - 5
    Guardian 4
    Mesmer - 4
    Ranger - 4
    Rev - 3
    Thief - 2
    Warrior - 5

Those are just boilerplate builds off the top of my head.

The i thing I hate about is that huge amount of runes/sigils/Stat options that are useless. Berserk (assassins), Viper, Magi, Minstrel, Harriers. Only Stat combos you'll see in PVE.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Zelliaind View Post
    Thanks for that. While I have played since it came out, I'm positive that I'm still a new player being that I regularly pick up the game for a month or two and then put it back down. It just doesn't seem to grab my attention like other games.

That's a good analogy and makes perfect sense. I certainly wouldn't want to bring a Resto Druid for DPS or a Rogue for ranged DPS. I think my confusion is more, as you said, Meta and Viable. When I read Meta, for some reason my brain interprets that as "this is the only build that you can bring to a raid. Point. Dot. Period." Is there an in between of Meta and not viable? Just curious, like a middle ground class/spec? In some cases I can understand certain builds just won't be practical in a raid environment however--look at the state Shaman is in BfA, very few people want to bring them to progression runs due to their under performing numbers in all specs.

I'm seeing that as well that Might and Protection up time out in open world content is crucial. I tried Condi-mirage as well (trying to find a good class to play that keeps my attention this go around) and was regularly getting smashed. So I can see how it's more important. With Reaper GS/Staff running a pet build and toughness from each pet I get, I notice that I can survive much longer utilizing those buffs (or are they called Boons here?).

Now I'm starting to see what you mean by this point. It's like bringing a DPS Warrior to a raid in Classic WoW where people only wanted Warriors to be tanks because of the strength of Prot versus DPS. Some classes, despite how many elite specializations and talents they have, just won't fit into a raid environment. They might be better suited for WvW, SPvP, etc.

I have a Deadeye and I do enjoy him. He's the furthest along in the Living Story than my other characters because of the sheer power they have with Rifle/PP. I gave Daredevil a go but didn't really have as much fun as I did with Deadeye. I'll have to give Holosmith and Dragonhunter a try once I have those respective classes up to 80. Cheers for the recommendations.

I'm really starting to see this now that I'm playing far longer than in my previous attempts at GW2. Before my stats were all out of whack but now that I'm doing T1 Fractals and actually looking at my stats rather than half-assing it, I'm noticing once I get the right stuff put in the right places that I'm able to stay up or do damage longer. I swear, I used to be good at MMO's, I think WoW just spoiled me with it's handholding all these years.

This is true. You've changed my opinion slightly with your post. I may keep my Reaper as my run around the world toon and do my Deadeye as a raid character if I ever decide to go that route. Cheers for your in depth post and not flaming the shit out of me. I'm not wearing my flame retardant suit today. :P
    I think i was a bit harsh in my first response, so cheers for chilled reply as well.

- To answer some of your questions:

GW2 is a very flawed game.
    In retrospect is has one of the most amazing gearing systems and progression systems that a MMO game could have.
    [Lvl to 80, gear around - plug in and play || What does this mean - It means the following: You can afk for 8 months, and come back - check around your class/stats, see if something needs to be swapped around, but you need not grind an entire raid for "couple of armor number stat increase", it's always static]

However... Here come the problems.

Raids were introduced because community was literally -dying-
    4 years of constant dungeons/fractals [that're all the same, with kinder-surprise balance patches that butcher classes randomly]
    Majority of GW2 community is made of casual playerbase:

Meaning people with social anxiety that're simply too afraid to "fail" in "harder" sandbox scenario [Raids/CM Fractals]
    Thus they stick to open-world meta/events and complain about "lack of content" for them - or for raids being overtuned.
    Community is a BIG issue in gw2.

On the first glance it'll seem like big friendly place.
    However - however, gw2 community is made out of most passive-aggressive shitheads you'll EVER see.

The devs themselves are pathetic - communication with community is close to non existent and in all honesty the only reason the game 's being played by plenty of people
    Is simply due to "plug n play" mechanic while it provides a bit of "everything", even though it gets stale quite quickly.

---
    In GW2, you sort of need to know the "bosses" - in order to know what's meta and what's viable for them
    Usually meta is about 'what can do most DMG, on a boss that needs either condi damage, or physical]

Lets say Dhuum: - You used to bring "weavers" for him, since of large hitbox and some other stuff, but the class got nerfed.
    So the second most OP class on him for doing top dps is: Condi Renegade [Revenant]
    Why: Survivability/movability/constant damage dishout

What'd be viable on it: CondiThief/Deadeye/Dragonhunter/Holosmith/Scourge/ - i"ll even let a person play reaper, when i feel like carrying people, or doing some meme-pugsells, or when i'll raidsell with my guild

In all honesty i'd recommend you to set up the following class for raids: Druid or Bannerslave
    - You can heal in "exotic" [orange] gear on Druid with right stats [harrier], and if you just focus a tiny bit on a druid, you'll learn mechanics of the bossfight easily
    - Bannerslave these days requires a person not to be "afk" and to always do something that's annoying [aka can't afk], Sabetha: pick up bombs/do cannons

If you want to DPS, stick to: Deadeye [Dagger/dagger], Holosmith, or Dragon Hunter [I'd recommend holosmith more, better CC/and really "fun/decent rotation]

There unfortunately isn't any class that can... argh i don't know im lacking anologies here, be a boomkin or a hunter in raid scenario
    What im trying to say here is you cant bring -exactly the build that you want from open world-
    But fortunatelly there's plenty of raid-builds to choose from

I mostly stream gw2, even though i am on a break atm

There i raidsold from w1 to w6 - so if you have any questions regarding classes/mechanics and stuff lemme know