Honor Talents on Beta work very differently FYI

I just wanted to post real fast that the honor talents right now are all unchanged, but how you choose them is radically different. The front page has a screencap of the interface and you have the top "row" where you pick your trinket type from the existing three choices.

The radical change is that you have three other slots to fill and you can pick ANY of the remaining talents. For example, a DK could have all three auras. If you were a shaman you could take skyfury totem, counterstrike totem and grounding totem, etc.

Seems like a major shift in how they want things to play out.

Last edited by Tyrean; 2018-05-09 at 10:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was watching cdew and xaryu yesterday and they both said the same thing regarding the new system. 3 choices isn't enough and going into a new expansion with no new abilities feels like shit. Tried it on beta with the classes I play and I agree with them. For a few specs, 3 talents feel fine. That's only because they have a lot of dead talents. Other specs have a lot of talents that are too important to miss out on, and three choices are not enough.

To solve the first problem they should just give everyone a 2 minute trinket baseline and give us a fourth choice. 2 minute trinkets were the norm before legion, adapt and relentless just caused problems for PvP.

For the second problem a lot of talents need to be replaced or reworked. It's very sad to see so many braindead passives from legion honor talents stay in BfA. Stuff like dragonscale armor, dampened magic, DK auras, and other passives that have little to no effect on your gameplay. Sometimes these talents are the best choice... that should never be the case. Honor talents were a great way for the PvP devs to bring back abilities the PvE devs took away, instead they take the lazy route and give five brainless passives for every one interesting talent.

Here's something positive. This style of the honor talent system is better for personalized builds. For example, if you hate getting kited as a ret paladin, you could take 3 mobility/gapclosing talents. Or if you want to be as tanky as possible as a warlock, take 3 damage reduction talents. Stuff like that is cool.

Of course, none of this would be needed if they just unpruned and gave classes skill and depth baseline, like how they were wotlk-mop.
    Last edited by docterfreeze; 2018-05-10 at 08:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    I just wanted to post real fast that the honor talents right now are all unchanged, but how you choose them is radically different. The front page has a screencap of the interface and you have the top "row" where you pick your trinket type from the existing three choices.

The radical change is that you have three other slots to fill and you can pick ANY of the remaining talents. For example, a DK could have all three auras. If you were a shaman you could take skyfury totem, counterstrike totem and grounding totem, etc.

Seems like a major shift in how they want things to play out.

Honor talents ARE changed for some specs/classes. Maybe not every single one, but I see differences on some of 'em. For example, assassination got smoke bomb as a choice now.

I like the whole diablo pick what ever combination you want approach but I do agree that many of the talents have no teeth in this iteration, there's many that don't compete and some classes have very little interaction between them. I'd like to see more interesting stacking of talents to get some cool synergy going but of course doing so leads to a potential down side. Say you stack some cool damage abilities that work hand in hand then of course you're going to lose out on defensive and mobility. I feel that's their aim here but without re-hauling the actual talents it's a poor effort. Without being designed with picking any combination in mind some classes simply lucked out more than others with how well their talents play together.

Also not gaining a single cool new thing other than the artefact armor or w/e it is sucks pretty hard. 99% of the player base just like's cool new things.
    Last edited by Ryanite; 2018-05-10 at 07:32 AM.

On my Holy Pala i've got a cookie cutter build, 100% sac, double blessings, +50% heal + damage reduction on holy light.
    i could play the entire expasion this way, maybe switching the holy light one for the poison/disease dispell on heal, still it seems quite underwhelming on variety.

I'm the only one with this issue?

Having only 3 choices seems so stingy and underwhelming to be honest. 10 / 10 disappointing.

If you are the class/spec that has to pick passives from the pool then it is going to really suck the life and fun out of the PvP experience.

I agree with everyone that 3 seems like not enough, I think it is odd that they would roll out the system like this and then prune the bad abilities later so I would imagine this is the way it is going to be. As mentioned before, I like the idea of picking three mobility talents, three defensive talents, or three talents to boost one spell but sadly for the most part we were already doing that.

As a frost DK for example, I would probably end up taking all three of the root/slow talents because everything else is really just garbage. Destro warlocks will probably take both the bolt talents and netherward, etc.

The only reason a lot of the pvp talents are even used is because they are the best on a shitty row and they will all just die in this type of system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    I agree with everyone that 3 seems like not enough, I think it is odd that they would roll out the system like this and then prune the bad abilities later so I would imagine this is the way it is going to be. As mentioned before, I like the idea of picking three mobility talents, three defensive talents, or three talents to boost one spell but sadly for the most part we were already doing that.

As a frost DK for example, I would probably end up taking all three of the root/slow talents because everything else is really just garbage. Destro warlocks will probably take both the bolt talents and netherward, etc.

The only reason a lot of the pvp talents are even used is because they are the best on a shitty row and they will all just die in this type of system.
    Pretty much. Not like this wasn't foreseeable either. This needed to be tested a lot sooner and much more thought put into it's application.