10+ Year Old Account

Play Rift on your Smartphone

This, in theory, can apply to any game in your Steam Library, i don't play Rift through Steam at all at but if this proves to actually work i might have to reconsider if they do it both ways, PC to phone - phone to PC.

May 9, 2018 - Two free new apps - the Steam Link app and the Steam Video app - are preparing for launch in the coming weeks, both designed to extend Steam's suite of services and accessibility.

The Steam Link app, slated to launch the week of May 21st, allows gamers to experience their Steam library of games on their Android (phone, tablet, TV) and iOS-based (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV) devices while connected via 5Ghz network or wired Ethernet to a host system (Mac or PC), with Android access initially offered in beta. The Steam Link App will feature support for the Steam Controller, MFI controllers, and more across both platforms.
    Full Source: https://steamdb.info/blog/steam-link...o-mobile-apps/
    Last edited by Slipmat; 2018-05-10 at 08:21 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh so it's like teamviewer?

Got some friends who play Black Desert Online from work with teamviewer.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

This is just extending the funcionality of the Steam Link to smartphones. You won't be "playing" Rift on your phone, merely streaming it from your PC to your phonescreen. You'll still need your keyboard and mouse to hand, or controller, if you play with that.

You'll still need the Steam Link hardware, be in WiFi range of it, as well as your PC to be running Rift and your PC perhipherals to "play" it on your phone. For the hassle its worth, and the screen size of most phones, you're better off using the Steam Link to play it on your TV instead.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    For the hassle its worth, and the screen size of most phones, you're better off using the Steam Link to play it on your TV instead.
    This was my reaction pretty much across the board to this announcement, there are only a handful of games in my Steam library that I'd even consider playing on my phone. But a game like Rift?...why? You'd barely even be able to see the damn UI unless you were using something like a tablet. I'd rather just sit at my computer and play, especially with the added latency from wifi (had to hardline my Link even though it's almost right next to my router to get a stable connection that didn't cause tons of latency).

Why the hell would I want to play this on a phone?

I mean there are MMOs designed for the mobile device but Rift is most certainly not one of them. That's like Celestalon and his whole tripe about playing WoW on a tablet. You just don't do it realistically.

And considering you need a 5 GHZ wifi connection or Ethernet I somehow imagine you need a decent download/upload rate.

I'm just going to state the obvious here and it's that OP is desperately trying to get some Rift news on the forum due to their mantra of "any talk means game is good".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post

I'm just going to state the obvious here and it's that OP is desperately trying to get some Rift news on the forum due to their mantra of "any talk means game is good".
    Yeah, i'm now creating 'fake news' just to boost Rift, are you even listening to yourself? i bet if i'd wrote that you can play FF 14 on your phone you'd still be down on your news praising Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Yeah, i'm now creating 'fake news' just to boost Rift, are you even listening to yourself? i bet if i'd wrote that you can play FF 14 on your phone you'd still be down on your news praising Square.
    Technically, the new app means you can do just this too.

I wouldn't go as far as to say its "fake news", just "irrelevent news". If you have a Google Chromecast you've been able to do this for years already. My Samsung came with a direct input cable that lets me do this as well. It's not really anything groundbreaking or newsworthy at this point.

Technically, the new app means you can do just this too.

I wouldn't go as far as to say its "fake news", just "irrelevent news". If you have a Google Chromecast you've been able to do this for years already. My Samsung came with a direct input cable that lets me do this as well. It's not really anything groundbreaking or newsworthy at this point.
    To be fair it's not exactly designing the game to work on it per se. Just kind of how WoW does with it's app. Although I think a few remote features are being shut down.

If they did they would come under a lot of shit especially from me about why they are designing a full smartphone version after removing PS3 due to it being a technical limitation. A smartphone version of FF14 would actually be worse than the PS3 version.

So to repeat what I said. I would not play this on a smartphone. It's not a game designed for one. Same with WoW, ESO, FF14, GW2, Neverwinter and I could go on.

But I can't say I ever said his news was "fake" though. It's definitely irrelevant though as you put it. Although with who quoted me on that it's safe to say just nod and smile with him.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-05-11 at 06:25 PM.

If they did they would come under a lot of shit especially from me about why they are designing a full smartphone version after removing PS3 due to it being a technical limitation. A smartphone version of FF14 would actually be worse than the PS3 version.
    All this change does is allow you to stream FF14 from Steam to your Phone now. It's not a separate version, you're still playing the game on your PC - With all your PC devices, not touch controls on your phone. Honestly, if you're already using a Steam Link to play FF14, chances are you're running it on a 4k TV anyway. I'm not at all sure why you'd take the downgrade to a phone screen.

This kind of home streaming technology has been availible for years now anyway. Steam is just catching up and trying to branch into the home entertainment market as well here.

All this change does is allow you to stream FF14 from Steam to your Phone now. It's not a separate version, you're still playing the game on your PC - With all your PC devices, not touch controls on your phone. Honestly, if you're already using a Steam Link to play FF14, chances are you're running it on a 4k TV anyway. I'm not at all sure why you'd take the downgrade to a phone screen.

This kind of home streaming technology has been availible for years now anyway. Steam is just catching up and trying to branch into the home entertainment market as well here.
    Yeah I get how it works.

But if FF14 ever did an actual smartphone version I'd have to question the devs.

Eh, not surprising. Everything that can be put on a phone will be put on one. I'll stick with my 4k monitor and desk, more to my tastes. The real question is, why would I do that with Rift when the majority of games on Steam are far better? I'd much rather play the Witcher 3 while I'm in the restroom than Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    Eh, not surprising. Everything that can be put on a phone will be put on one. I'll stick with my 4k monitor and desk, more to my tastes. The real question is, why would I do that with Rift when the majority of games on Steam are far better? I'd much rather play the Witcher 3 while I'm in the restroom than Rift.
    My personal travel game is Hearthstone. Only online card game I'm decent at.

On the bog though it's Minesweeper.

But yeah Steam are very late to the party on this and Rift is not a game that should be played on a mobile. It can be but it most certainly shouldn't. Now Lineage 2 Revolution yes because that was literally built for mobile devices.

But games like Rift, FF14 and WoW just no. As I said if FF14 ever does a smartphone version I'd question why the fuck did the devs do that when they dropped PS3 support because of it being a limitation.

And Celestalon can sod off with WoW on a tablet. I don't care if he is a dev.

As for Rift. I imagine since Trion can't even optimize a game for AMD CPUs or multicore they would not be able to optimize that godawful Gamebryo engine for a phone.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-05-12 at 05:01 PM.

My personal travel game is Hearthstone. Only online card game I'm decent at.

On the bog though it's Minesweeper.

But yeah Steam are very late to the party on this and Rift is not a game that should be played on a mobile. It can be but it most certainly shouldn't. Now Lineage 2 Revolution yes because that was literally built for mobile devices.

But games like Rift, FF14 and WoW just no. As I said if FF14 ever does a smartphone version I'd question why the fuck did the devs do that when they dropped PS3 support because of it being a limitation.

And Celestalon can sod off with WoW on a tablet. I don't care if he is a dev.

As for Rift. I imagine since Trion can't even optimize a game for AMD CPUs or multicore they would not be able to optimize that godawful Gamebryo engine for a phone.
    Can understand Hearthstone, pretty fun game. During the summer I'm normally well out of cell service so I end bringing boring things like books haha.

Agreed that MMOs shouldn't be on phones or tablets. Just way too clunky to play, needs a standard keyboard/mouse set up imo.

I didn't hear about Celestalon, sounds like a stupid idea personally. I hope they're not wasting resources on that project.

-sighs- Rift has so many problems, cell support would be one of the dumbest things they could try to genuinely implement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    Can understand Hearthstone, pretty fun game. During the summer I'm normally well out of cell service so I end bringing boring things like books haha.

Agreed that MMOs shouldn't be on phones or tablets. Just way too clunky to play, needs a standard keyboard/mouse set up imo.

I didn't hear about Celestalon, sounds like a stupid idea personally. I hope they're not wasting resources on that project.

-sighs- Rift has so many problems, cell support would be one of the dumbest things they could try to genuinely implement.
    Well Celestalon is thankfully on the HS team now. He didn't try to get WoW on tablets/phones but he basically played WoW and did development on one.

As long as it's done intended for phones then fine. Rift is not an MMO intended for a smartphone though. And again I doubt that piece of crap engine they claim is an old version despite that being disproved could be optimized by them for it.

Sounds abhorrently terrible.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Really dude? He wouldn't be down on his news, or knees for that matter for Square. No one is going to play a game like these on their smartphone. I'd tell SE it's dumb. I'd tell Blizzard it's dumb. I'm telling Trion through this forum it's dumb. I know I'm a little late to this party, but I remember when you were a somewhat respectable person, now you're insinuating someone said you're creating 'fake news' which is not what he said. Don't put words in his mouth. He clearly said you were trying to announce anything and everything possible because any talk means game is good. That doesn't mean fake news, it means the dumbest news all the way up to the best possible news.

Show a lick of respect why don't you?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water