Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Do people still use "Combat text" addons?

Hey guys,

Probably the first addon I installed back in TBC was SCT (Scrolling Combat Text). Back in the day such addons were a big deal as they allowed you to see the "big crits". All of the PVP montages were overflowing with big yellow numbers.

Recently I discovered that of all "floating text" addons, MikScrollingBattleText was the only one still around. All others have been inactive for at least 2 years and no longer work. So this got me wondering - do people still use them?

Probably back in TBC there were fewer damage sources and numbers were more readable, but today there are so many passives, artifact traits, legendary item effects that sometimes I feel my screen is too cluttered with numbers which distract me from what's going on with the game.

Do you use such addons or they are a thing of the past?

Cheers

I use MSBT - but make it so that it only shows me what I want relevant to the toon, and a condensed number form.

-Grim

I use Mik's Scrolling Combat Text, have used it since I started in Wrath.

Though the future is not looking too bright, I believe the original dev of MSBT quit and for it to work in BfA it requires a pretty extensive rework due to the Combat log changes.

Well, msbt is fully customizable and will do and show anything you want it to, so there is hardly any need for other scrolling text addons.
    Even the basic game functionality allows to set up several scrolling text options which is probably enough for most.

I personally have stopped using a addon years ago and toned down the basic settings as low as possible. Logs and meters display everything you need to know in the correct relation.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim32 View Post
    I use MSBT - but make it so that it only shows me what I want relevant to the toon, and a condensed number form.

-Grim
    This is what I do also.
    I don't necessarily need every piece of data that scrolls on by but I like it to be there.

7+ Year Old Account
    What is most painful part of beta is that MSBT does not work, because Blizz changed the coding again. It's such a pain to have just numbers without context (without skill icons provided by MSBT) that I can't understand how anyone can play with default combat text...
    I can imagine being without all other addons (okay, not without the one that automatically repairs and sells grey items) but playing without MSBT is just meh.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes. I use Parrot.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use MSBT still. I like the customisation.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I use to use SCT.

At no time ever do I need the information provided by combat text, so I don't use it.

I've never cared for Miks, I like xCT+. Can do some stuff Miks can't.

I used MSBT with damage and healing off, just for a scrolling dispel notification w/ the spell name and the low health sound lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, fwiw, like the above I don't use it just for seeing my DPS numbers roll across the screen. I use it for seeing what I just dispelled/purged, for notifications when things are off of CD, miss/evade/immune, etc. Basically everything but DPS/HPS.

I am sure I could make more weak auras for all that stuff but WA is much, much more complicated to configure vs setting up one addon and just filtering the things I don't care about as a catchall.

Then I use WA for the important rotational things and critical buffs/debuffs.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I stopped in MoP because I just got tired of it, became a fan of the very simple look at never bothered with it again..

Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    I stopped in MoP because I just got tired of it, became a fan of the very simple look at never bothered with it again..
    Set your bars to autohide and be amazed!

7+ Year Old Account
    unless you can comprehend the numbers on your screen what is the point of them being there? seems like extra clutter on the screen for no reason

Deleted
    I do not use combat text addons

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know some people do but I don't bother with it anymore.

I just set like, one profile for SCT and I still use it. Been using it since Wrath? Late BC? Not sure, but, forever, really. I just prefer how it looks over base text (and that fact that it's in a more readable line) and I'm so used to it, I don't even think about it anymore. It's still in a useable form with a basic lua tweak, the only minor issue I've had is that it counts all resource power as 'mana' now.

<Avid Mount/Pet Collector> Recently Earned:!! Leywoven Flying Carpet !!

Deleted
    i play with this addon too and i am very happy with that