1. #2141
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    As an exercise, pick any major character from LotR and boil them down to let’s say three key traits that define that character. Things like how they act and speak, their motivations, their history, their place in society, their skills, their faults and weaknesses, and so forth. Even boiled down to only three traits every character should still stand out as unique and recognizable, and you don’t even have to fall back on as meaningless a detail as their hair or skin color.
    Huh, I'm pretty sure that if you asked any fangirl what they remember the most about Legolas or Thranduil, it's that they have long blonde hair and very fair skin. I never knew that the design of a character is a "meaningless detail".

    It's become engrained in our society and perception that elves have long flowing hair and fair skin, stop trying to pretend otherwise.

  2. #2142
    Scarab Lord MCMLXXXII's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Delta swamp of the west
    Posts
    4,763
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This dude kinda ruined any arguments against RoP when he was super fine with Legolas' shenanigans in the LotR movies, tbh.

    Why is "artistic license" ok there, but not here?
    Doesn't have to do with the color of his skin, does it?

  3. #2143
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    It’s not about “should” or “shouldn’t”. It’s about what is necessary to maintain the narrative themes that are the pillars of Tolkien’s works.
    What narrative themes would that be in the case of the story that is being adapted here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    The lore details are important to a certain extent, but not all are necessary when adapting the work and maintaining the spirit of the source material.

    Let’s take a look at adaptations of Shakespeare’s works. Some of the best ones very deliberately divorce themselves from the setting and/or demographics of the original plays. They work because it’s the narratives and themes of the stories that make them classics, not every single minor detail from the source material.

    Tolkien isn’t revered as an author because he was good at making lists of names and describing how characters looked. It’s the narratives he created and themes he explored within this fantastical world, narratives and themes that aren’t hamstrung by every minor detail.
    First of all, I don't think you can compare Shakespeare to Tolkien since they wrote in totally different genres. Tolkien himself described the difference rather aptly:
    "Thus, if you prefer Drama to Literature (as many literary critics plainly do), or form your critical theories primarily from dramatic critics, or even from Drama, you are apt to misunderstand pure story-making, and to constrain it to the limitations of stage-plays. You are, for instance, likely to prefer characters, even the basest and dullest, to things. Very little about trees as trees can be got into a play."

    Also, you do realize that this show didn't take a finished story with extensive themes and narratives? All Amazon has the rights to is effectively the skeleton of a story in the form of notes that are meant to give a historical background for the world Lord of the Rings takes place in. There's a reason why the showrunners describe it as "telling the story Tolkien never wrote". So if the point of Tolkien isn't the secondary world he created and the themes/narratives are all but nonexistent for this particular story, then what is the point of this show?

    Tolkien is revered for his stories but also for the depth of the secondary world he created on the foundation of his fictional languages. His world building and his love for language are above all else what defines the Lord of the Rings as the progenitor of virtually all contemporary fantasy literature and it's also what elevates his stories to such a degree. Incidentally, it's his world that these big companies are interested in when they spend hundreds of millions for the license only for them to pick it apart, "boil it down" and rearrange it to serve their ends.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    As an exercise, pick any major character from LotR and boil them down to let’s say three key traits that define that character. Things like how they act and speak, their motivations, their history, their place in society, their skills, their faults and weaknesses, and so forth. Even boiled down to only three traits every character should still stand out as unique and recognizable, and you don’t even have to fall back on as meaningless a detail as their hair or skin color.
    Why don't you try that excercise with the following characters:
    - Elrond
    - Tar-Míriel
    - Galadriel
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

  4. #2144
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    12,950
    To be fair surfing and flipping Legolas was one of the more dumber things of the original trilogy. I know elves are supposed to be light of foot, but I wasnt sure it was supposed to be literal.

    Also soon after helms deep the art of step surfing became a national sport of Middle-Earth did you know? See, we learn things here in MMO-Champion
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-08-05 at 12:01 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

    Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

  5. #2145
    woke woke woke pass pass pass pass pass ~~~

  6. #2146
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Again it leans on the super convoluted idea of the creators all agreeing behind closed doors "we did a bad job writing this, we KNOW we did a bad job writing it, we aren't going to fix it, instead we'll just put pressure on casting to cover it up by hiring a minority".
    That's a gross misrepresentation, and in fact this kind of conspiratorial thinking only fosters the kind of categorical mismatch that's going on.

    This isn't a conspiracy. No one is "agreeing behind closed doors" to do anything. These are subconscious, automatic processes that work their way into a production pipeline through LACK of awareness, not because everyone suddenly developed a master plan to scam the world with diversity.

    Bad writing is promulgated because it's EASY. Doing a bad job is much easier than doing a good job, and the cop-out of blaming everything on diversity (or opposition to it) provides a channel that fosters bad writing - not because people WANT bad writing or conspire to deliver it, but because it makes their job easier, and creates the illusion of good writing if responsibility can be deflected whenever criticism arises.

    That's the same as many forms of institutionalized racism - no hiring committee sits down on a rainy Thursday night going "well, let's discuss how we can exclude minorities from our new job opening then, shall we?". That's ludicrous conspiratorial bullshit. What ACTUALLY happens is that entrenched mechanisms of unconscious bias and systemic disadvantage kick in on their own, usually without people being really all that aware of them, and then lead to problematic results; without anyone at any point trying to actively push a racist agenda.

  7. #2147
    Nice to see the same shills defending this using the shield of racism to defend bad writing/degradation of the lore that Tolkien and fans spent decades with.

    The interviews from SDCC were hilarious, like when the actress fro Diza said she was the first female dwarf to appear on screen (guess more props to the bearded woman in The Hobbit, everyone forgot they were female dwarfs I guess). She was so sure I think she said it 4 times, yeesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

  8. #2148
    Scarab Lord MCMLXXXII's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Delta swamp of the west
    Posts
    4,763
    Ahh that brief introduction to the destruction of Erebor. Yes there were female dwarfs in there.
    Ir maybe she's talking about a real character not a 5 second extra?

  9. #2149
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    If physical appearance is completely irrelevant to a character, then why are we supposed to care that they are an elf, or a dwarf, or an orc? We have to suspend our disbelief and pay attention only to the fantasy part, while ignoring certain elements that are there only to reflect the real world.
    You're lumping together disparate things here, and also making arbitrary distinctions - somehow you're saying that someone being a different SPECIES is the same thing as them being a particular RACE, and that all of those are just "physical appearance" that always works and applies the same way. Which is ludicrous.

    What you're doing is picking race specifically as something that matters over other factors. No one ever complains about hair or eye color, say; but skin color? HOLD ON, IMMERSION BREAKER! Nobody complains if someone of Germanic ancestry plays Julius Caesar in a play - even though the irony of Germanic vs. Roman is more than palpable in such a context. But have someone from North Africa or the Middle East do the same? Suddenly it's cries of HERESY that would put the Empire of Man to shame.

    That's the point people are trying to make: these categories of "race" that seem so obvious to some people are just arbitrary distinctions drawn for largely arbitrary reasons, and if you dig deep enough they really truly just DO NOT MATTER for the vast majority of contexts. Especially for contexts that already require - as you admit - so much suspension of disbelief that it's very suspicious why skin color of all things should suddenly be a step too far.

    "I'm fine with dwarves, orcs, and elves. Fireballs and dragons? No problemo. BUT BLACK PEOPLE?! Come on, think of our IMMERSION, where would a black dwarf even COME FROM! That's not REALISTIC!"

  10. #2150
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That's a gross misrepresentation, and in fact this kind of conspiratorial thinking only fosters the kind of categorical mismatch that's going on.

    This isn't a conspiracy. No one is "agreeing behind closed doors" to do anything. These are subconscious, automatic processes that work their way into a production pipeline through LACK of awareness, not because everyone suddenly developed a master plan to scam the world with diversity.

    Bad writing is promulgated because it's EASY. Doing a bad job is much easier than doing a good job, and the cop-out of blaming everything on diversity (or opposition to it) provides a channel that fosters bad writing - not because people WANT bad writing or conspire to deliver it, but because it makes their job easier, and creates the illusion of good writing if responsibility can be deflected whenever criticism arises.

    That's the same as many forms of institutionalized racism - no hiring committee sits down on a rainy Thursday night going "well, let's discuss how we can exclude minorities from our new job opening then, shall we?". That's ludicrous conspiratorial bullshit. What ACTUALLY happens is that entrenched mechanisms of unconscious bias and systemic disadvantage kick in on their own, usually without people being really all that aware of them, and then lead to problematic results; without anyone at any point trying to actively push a racist agenda.
    This is a good summary tbh. Been thinking it for a while that a lot criticism nowadays instantly gets pushed into ists or isms instead of facing what the criticism is pointing out.
    It's using minorities and diversities as a shield for themselves... They don't do bad writing it's everyone else that are bad people.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

  11. #2151
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Ahh that brief introduction to the destruction of Erebor. Yes there were female dwarfs in there.
    Ir maybe she's talking about a real character not a 5 second extra?
    She made sure to emphasize first EVER, so guessing they just forgot. Kind of like the beards (though they did say in one panel female dwarfs have beards, so fuck if I know what they are doing, can't recall with so many different dwarfs lore, but wasn't being beardless a mark of dishonor for dwarfs in Tolkien lore?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

  12. #2152
    Scarab Lord MCMLXXXII's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Delta swamp of the west
    Posts
    4,763
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    She made sure to emphasize first EVER, so guessing they just forgot. Kind of like the beards (though they did say in one panel female dwarfs have beards, so fuck if I know what they are doing, can't recall with so many different dwarfs lore, but wasn't being beardless a mark of dishonor for dwarfs in Tolkien lore?)
    Yeah, how dare they forget 3 minutes of footage.

    - - - Updated - - -

    It's funny though. If the series turns out to be good, all these naysayers will still say it's shit because ToLkIeN wAsN't WoKe, just like those Youtubers they watch dictate them. I can watch the series and enjoy it or after 2-3 episodes, I can say this is shit.

  13. #2153
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Yeah, how dare they forget 3 minutes of footage.

    - - - Updated - - -

    It's funny though. If the series turns out to be good, all these naysayers will still say it's shit because ToLkIeN wAsN't WoKe, just like those Youtubers they watch dictate them. I can watch the series and enjoy it or after 2-3 episodes, I can say this is shit.
    I mean if you are going to be doing a panel for a billion dollar show, should at least make sure what you are saying is correct.... Like at least put in the minimal effort, and if this was scripted questions even worse because no one involved in the process corrected it either. I have watched each of The Hobbit trilogies movies once and I still recalled it.

    I mean I have said multiple times the show could be good (doubtful but possible), but considering how many things have been wrong/go against the lore it isn't/won't be a faithful/good adaptation. You can't add so many characters and change all the lore based characters and do so, that's even ignoring the massive time crunch/mismatching of characters in places they never where/things they never did.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-08-05 at 02:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

  14. #2154
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    This is a good summary tbh. Been thinking it for a while that a lot criticism nowadays instantly gets pushed into ists or isms instead of facing what the criticism is pointing out.
    It's using minorities and diversities as a shield for themselves... They don't do bad writing it's everyone else that are bad people.
    Pretty much. And because its used so often you get the result of polarization. You get the people who will support it purely because they assume the "bad people" will hate it (you can see the ones in the thread) and the people that assume its purely agenda-driven and trying to push a message to convert everyone to their way of thinking (you can see a few of those here too)

    Generally speaking its just laziness, lack of effort, and lack of ability. There are plenty of movies that have diverse casts and ideas that are quite good, though you will find they rarely tout their diversity as a selling point. It just is. They tout how good their product is, how amazing the story is, how amazing the actors are, and the product generally speaks for itself.

    If you have to tell everyone how diverse (or *insert other pandering thing here*) your product is, and that's your big selling point, it generally speaks to a lack of a decent product. Its like how you never have to tell someone if you are a good fighter, or have alot of money, or have a big.... *ahem*..... generally those things speak for themselves without you having to try to convince people.


    The folks on the ends of the political horseshoe will keep arguing over this show until they are blue in the face..... everyone else just won't watch it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    I can watch the series and enjoy it or after 2-3 episodes, I can say this is shit.
    I tried that with Wheel of Time.... hell I watched the entire first season. The first 2-3 episodes were the best part (not that they were good), and it got progressively worse from there until it hit GoT S8 levels of crap.

    Maybe this show will turn out different, but if you think that any evidence points to that, then I suggest you avoid Vegas your entire life.

  15. #2155
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    You're lumping together disparate things here, and also making arbitrary distinctions - somehow you're saying that someone being a different SPECIES is the same thing as them being a particular RACE, and that all of those are just "physical appearance" that always works and applies the same way. Which is ludicrous.

    What you're doing is picking race specifically as something that matters over other factors. No one ever complains about hair or eye color, say; but skin color? HOLD ON, IMMERSION BREAKER! Nobody complains if someone of Germanic ancestry plays Julius Caesar in a play - even though the irony of Germanic vs. Roman is more than palpable in such a context. But have someone from North Africa or the Middle East do the same? Suddenly it's cries of HERESY that would put the Empire of Man to shame.

    That's the point people are trying to make: these categories of "race" that seem so obvious to some people are just arbitrary distinctions drawn for largely arbitrary reasons, and if you dig deep enough they really truly just DO NOT MATTER for the vast majority of contexts. Especially for contexts that already require - as you admit - so much suspension of disbelief that it's very suspicious why skin color of all things should suddenly be a step too far.

    "I'm fine with dwarves, orcs, and elves. Fireballs and dragons? No problemo. BUT BLACK PEOPLE?! Come on, think of our IMMERSION, where would a black dwarf even COME FROM! That's not REALISTIC!"
    My point was that everything is fine, as long as you take the time to explain it. You say hair and eye color don't matter, but they can. Joffrey Baratheon should have been brown haired, but because he was blond, Ned Stark suspected his actual origin. If you have a show in which three generations of a family are shown to have blond hair and blue eyes, and you have a random brunette, dark eyed character, people are going to ask what's the deal with that character, regardless of their skin color.

    You can absolutely have a fantasy setting in which nobody cares what anybody looks like. LotR isn't it, though. Because the very basis of it is that these species have grown distant from each other, and it takes a group of heroes to break the mold and prove how they're stronger together, and how evil wins when they allow their differences to divide them.

    Now with this show, I'm supposed to pay attention to the fact that a pointy eared man is an elf, which is a completely separate species from another man with smaller ears and they hate each other, but I can't even question that two men with different skin color live in the same town with nothing ethnically or culturally different about them.


    And I'm sorry but no, "it's fantasy so anything goes" isn't an excuse for, well, anything. You can make an adaptation of LotR in which Robocop shows up at the end, shoots Sauron, grabs Frodo and flies to the Enterprise, but not only it won't be a good adaptation, you are going to be asked a lot of questions about your narrative choices that "you just have to suspend your disbelief" won't answer.

  16. #2156
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I imagine not everyone can be like you and this guy:
    Yep, not everyone can be this badass

  17. #2157
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    The idea that adaptations of a fantasy world need to stick to the racial demographics that were acceptable by a British scholar writing in the 1930's and 40's is just ridiculous. "Tolkien wrote it therefor it must be followed to the letter" isn't a good enough excuse. Tolkien created a wonderful world filled with diversity and narratives about good vs evil, power, free will, and courage, a world that wasn't rooted in the history of the real world. The idea that this world was strictly created for white people with characters that can only be portrayed by white people is without a doubt a racist ideology.

    What desolate corners of the internet do you have to visit to still find the outrage concerning two of the most pivotal characters in the movies being cast with American actors? If Aragorn and Frodo were played by actors such as Chiwetel Ejiofor, Idris Elba, Riz Ahmed, or Rege-Jean Page I can only imagine the spike in blood pressure you and your merry band of racist gatekeepers would have. Obviously the implication is that being white is more British than actually being British.

    Tolkien is dead, and whatever he might have thought about the great diversity in what constitutes the people of Britain nowadays is irrelevant. He wanted to make a mythology for England, and this is what England looks like now (Tolkien never specified that he just wanted to make fantasy for white English people). Just as adaptations of Shakespeare's works don't have to adhere to the strict norms and demographics of his time, neither do Tolkien's. If you want to continue to push for this idea of racial purity in works where it has no place then don't be surprised when people call you out for what you are.



    Elves aren't humans. They didn't evolve like humans. The don't have the same physiology as humans. They don't need to adhere to the biology of real world humans. It's a non-issue in the context of a world where humanoid creatures are simply awakened into being, essentially immortal and capable of fantastical superhuman feats. Hell, even the Men of Middle Earth aren’t actually Homo sapiens given that they share no biological or evolutionary history with actual humans. So yeah, fuck off with your "but melanin" excuse.

    More importantly, get your fucking Tolkien right before you spout your bullshit. The Sindar that merged with the silvan elves in the 2nd Age forming the Woodland Realm under the rule of Oropher adopted the SILVAN language and customs. On top of that, the silvan elves existed (referenced by Tolkien himself) all the way into the 4th Age. Appendix B states that after the War of the Ring, after Galadriel's passing and Celeborn settling in Imladris "In the Greenwood the Silvan Elves remained untroubled". So yeah, a wood-elf in the 2nd Age could very well refer to themselves as a silvan elf.
    Wonder how Kiriku with white guys would be received ? Have to insert a little diversity in the African culture after all.

  18. #2158
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    You say hair and eye color don't matter, but they can. Joffrey Baratheon should have been brown haired, but because he was blond, Ned Stark suspected his actual origin.
    Yes, that's why I said "the vast majority of contexts" not "all contexts". If it's SPECIFICALLY made into a topic, it matters; that's why a white MLK wouldn't make sense either, for example, because it's SPECIFICALLY about race in that context. But in the vast, vast, VAST majority of contexts it's an ancillary afterthought of no appreciable relevance.

    To take your example, Joffrey Baratheon's hair color mattered for the story; but, Harry Potter's hair color, say, does NOT matter. Not in any way, even if it's set to be something specific in the books, because it has no actual relevance to the story itself. It's a minor detail of no narrative importance, just like it is for almost any other character.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    You can absolutely have a fantasy setting in which nobody cares what anybody looks like. LotR isn't it, though.
    Says who? Why does SKIN COLOR of all things suddenly become relevant in LotR?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Because the very basis of it is that these species have grown distant from each other, and it takes a group of heroes to break the mold and prove how they're stronger together, and how evil wins when they allow their differences to divide them.
    And you equate difference (or a lack thereof) specifically with skin color? Why? Sure it's ONE marker of difference, but why is it more important than others? Why is THAT marker specifically the one that's relevant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    And I'm sorry but no, "it's fantasy so anything goes" isn't an excuse for, well, anything.
    But that's not what I'm saying. I'm not saying "anything goes", I'm saying "you need to justify why you have a problem with some things that are supposedly unrealistic, but not with other things that you seem to accept unquestioningly". That doesn't mean all bets are off no rules apply, it just means that if you think that ignoring the mechanics of SKIN COLOR specifically makes a setting less believable than ignoring, idk, PHYSICS, then you better have a damn good justification for it. And "in the real world, these people wouldn't just mix!" isn't a good reason when the rules of the real world are flagrantly violated left and right anyway without anyone objecting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    You can make an adaptation of LotR in which Robocop shows up at the end, shoots Sauron, grabs Frodo and flies to the Enterprise, but not only it won't be a good adaptation, you are going to be asked a lot of questions about your narrative choices that "you just have to suspend your disbelief" won't answer.
    Don't get me wrong, I am the first to criticize shit writing.

    But to equate bad writing with diverse casting is a category error. To imply that casting a black person in even in the same GALAXY as "Robocop shows up and flies to the Enterprise" is at best hilariously ignorant, and at worst actively malicious disingenuousness.

  19. #2159
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Says who? Why does SKIN COLOR of all things suddenly become relevant in LotR?

    And you equate difference (or a lack thereof) specifically with skin color? Why? Sure it's ONE marker of difference, but why is it more important than others? Why is THAT marker specifically the one that's relevant?

    But that's not what I'm saying. I'm not saying "anything goes", I'm saying "you need to justify why you have a problem with some things that are supposedly unrealistic, but not with other things that you seem to accept unquestioningly". That doesn't mean all bets are off no rules apply, it just means that if you think that ignoring the mechanics of SKIN COLOR specifically makes a setting less believable than ignoring, idk, PHYSICS, then you better have a damn good justification for it. And "in the real world, these people wouldn't just mix!" isn't a good reason when the rules of the real world are flagrantly violated left and right anyway without anyone objecting.
    I'm not saying skin color is more important than any other trait. But it's a rather obvious and superficial one. If a character having slightly pointier ears is going to be looked at weirdly because he's OBVIOUSLY a half-elf, or rather short guy CLEARLY has dwarven blood, and those are traits that characters and factions in that world use to differentiate themselves from each other, and that is integral to the story, it takes some strong suspension of disbelief to think that skin color wouldn't be relevant. Just like wings, glowing eyes or mermaid tails would be, but thankfully they didn't randomly sprinkle those in, because they didn't have an agenda about them.

    Physical discrimination and segregation are already established elements of that universe. These writers are the ones introducing new traits that somehow don't play by the same rules, without providing an explanation. What's even funnier is that, going by some of the more in-depth posts in this thread, they did have plenty of established cultures that they could have used to introduce racially diverse characters, they just took the easier path of "the real, modern, world is interracial, so Middle Earth is too, and anyone who questions it is racist".

    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I am the first to criticize shit writing.

    But to equate bad writing with diverse casting is a category error. To imply that casting a black person in even in the same GALAXY as "Robocop shows up and flies to the Enterprise" is at best hilariously ignorant, and at worst actively malicious disingenuousness.
    It was hyperbole, my the point is that a writer shouldn't lose focus of their universe. This cast isn't going to make or break the show, but it's a symptom that the priority of the producers wasn't making a good LotR adaptation, and probably not even a good story.

  20. #2160
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    And you equate difference (or a lack thereof) specifically with skin color? Why? Sure it's ONE marker of difference, but why is it more important than others? Why is THAT marker specifically the one that's relevant?
    It would be no more important than if you cast a tall man to play a dwarf. If the role you are casting for is "short stocky man with beard" and you pick a tall lanky guy, does that matter?

    Maybe.... maybe not.... but it certainly shows you aren't sticking to the books very well...... Now MAYBE that tall lanky actor is so amazing that you can make the part work. Probably not going by the track record.

    Again, would you have a problem if they cast the little mermaid with a fat, bald guy? I mean maybe he's an amazing actor who could do justice to the part of Ariel...... and maybe not.

    What about for Black Panther 2? Should they recast T'challa with an Asian actor? I mean Wakanda is a fantasy setting that does not exist, so whose to say they can't have an asian actor play the Black Panther?

    Maybe the people they mis-type-cast for parts will be awesome and make everyone eat their words...... hasn't ever happened so far, but maybe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I am the first to criticize shit writing.
    Bet you won't

    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    But to equate bad writing with diverse casting is a category error. To imply that casting a black person in even in the same GALAXY as "Robocop shows up and flies to the Enterprise" is at best hilariously ignorant, and at worst actively malicious disingenuousness.
    Diverse casting is used as a shield to prevent critcism of bad writing. Its meme-level obvious at this point. They aren't hiring an amazing actor who is perfect for the part, they are hiring a black guy so they can show you they hired a black guy. They didn't care about his acting ability, only his skin color....

    Guess what that makes them.... and you

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •