Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ...
3
11
12
13
14
15
... LastLast
  1. #241
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    11,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Yes, I realize. But after all those years any many more fantasy settings, it just lost appeal for me.
    Most Classical Fantasy is like that and that's a shame people feel that way because I love Classical Fantasy. But it seems more people have adopted Grim Dark Fantasy as their go to fantasy these days which is good, but I tend to have a broad mind on the genre.
    Proof is boring. Proof is tiresome. Proof is irrelevance. People would rather be handed an easy lie than search for a difficult truth, especially when it suits their own purpose.
    - Glokta
    The Last Argument of Kings, The First Law Trilogy.

  2. #242
    Hmf...that's supposed to be Valinor? I never really had an image beyond "white shores." If ut weren't for the trees I'd think that was Numenor.

  3. #243
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmf...that's supposed to be Valinor? I never really had an image beyond "white shores." If ut weren't for the trees I'd think that was Numenor.
    Kinda. If it is Tirion then it is looking in towards Valinor.. But if it is, it isn't the best representation.

    The Valar had raised a massive mountain range on the eastern side of their lands,
    the tallest on the world, and smooth and unclimbable from the east. Beneath the mountains was the shore which remained lit only by the stars and it is where some of the elves lived, sailing the dark waters.

    There was only one way through the mountains, and that was a narrow pass which had sheer cliffs rise up on either side of it. In the middle of the pass was a hill, Túna and on that was built the city of Tirion where the Noldor elves lived. The light from the Two Trees could shine through the gap upon the city but they could still walk the starlit shores where the light of Amar did not reach.

    Problem is those mountains do not really look imposing enough for the description given.

    On another matter from the image, the identify of the elf hasn't been given, but my best guess would be it has to be Galadriel. She had been born in Valinor, went into exile with the rest of the Noldor (and was a niece of Feanor, the most powerful elf ever to have lived) and was one of the greatest elves , and probably the most powerful left in Middle-Earth after Gil-galad died. I expect her to be very prominent in the series.

  4. #244
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    11,586
    Took be a while to find this thread.....

    Logo trailer teaser is here.



    also making of trailer



    Still not hyped about this show... I am nervous. Having been disappointed with wheel of Time this year this leaves me with a funny feeling in my tummy, but its just a teaser, so who knows maybe it'll; be good.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-01-19 at 09:03 PM.
    Proof is boring. Proof is tiresome. Proof is irrelevance. People would rather be handed an easy lie than search for a difficult truth, especially when it suits their own purpose.
    - Glokta
    The Last Argument of Kings, The First Law Trilogy.

  5. #245
    I read on dragonmount that the first two episodes total 3hrs.

  6. #246
    just to remind everyone, the rings of power weren't infact rings of power they were wedding rings and all the kings gay married Sauron. looking forward to a show based on this.

  7. #247
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Took be a while to find this thread.....

    Logo trailer teaser is here.



    also making of trailer



    Still not hypoed about this show... I am nervous. Having been disappointed with wheel of Time this year this leaves me with a funny feeling in my tummy, but its just a teaser, so who knows maybe it'll; be good.
    For some reason that narration lacked the weight the previous one had and it sounded kinda cringe

  8. #248
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    11,586
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    For some reason that narration lacked the weight the previous one had and it sounded kinda cringe
    No one is gonna measure up to Cate Blanchett, lets be honest :P

    You are only going to get second best
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-01-19 at 07:23 PM.
    Proof is boring. Proof is tiresome. Proof is irrelevance. People would rather be handed an easy lie than search for a difficult truth, especially when it suits their own purpose.
    - Glokta
    The Last Argument of Kings, The First Law Trilogy.

  9. #249
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    just to remind everyone, the rings of power weren't infact rings of power they were wedding rings and all the kings gay married Sauron. looking forward to a show based on this.
    I've been waiting for someone to make a show about interbestial homosexual polygamy. The Sub/Dom kink is just icing.

  10. #250
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Took be a while to find this thread.....

    Logo trailer teaser is here.



    also making of trailer



    Still not hypoed about this show... I am nervous. Having been disappointed with wheel of Time this year this leaves me with a funny feeling in my tummy, but its just a teaser, so who knows maybe it'll; be good.
    The fact that intro was practical and not CGI fills me with a lot of hope…

  11. #251
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    For some reason that narration lacked the weight the previous one had and it sounded kinda cringe
    I was going to say this but then I thought I was being too petty. Glad someone else thought this though.

  12. #252
    Abandon hope... I never had it from the start, considering it's "the current year".


    Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2022-01-22 at 04:23 AM.

  13. #253
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Abandon hope... I never had it from the start, considering it's "the current year"
    Take your hate bait back to 4chan.

  14. #254
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    considering it's "the current year".
    At least you're being honest about not wanting to progress with the times That's more than most people do who want to pretend like it's 1950s US or 1940s Europe.

    That being said, my own fears are not about "wokeness" but about cheap pandering and bad writing - I don't really care if there's an agenda or not, I only care if it's a good product. Tolkien's writings have a certain sophistication about them that you really cannot play it fast and loose with. Those stories are a lot more than just "evil man bad hurrrr", especially the ancillary materials. I expect the appropriate reverence for that kind of source material.

  15. #255
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Most Classical Fantasy is like that and that's a shame people feel that way because I love Classical Fantasy. But it seems more people have adopted Grim Dark Fantasy as their go to fantasy these days which is good, but I tend to have a broad mind on the genre.
    Well the Silmarillion is grimdark by almost any definition. So it's like Classical Grimdark Fantasy.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

  16. #256
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    At least you're being honest about not wanting to progress with the times .

    That being said, my own fears are not about "wokeness" but about cheap pandering and bad writing
    1. Progress is NOT synonymous with improvement.
    2. Not sure if you've noticed, but wokeness will ALWAYS have cheap pandering and bad writing, they're inseparable.
    Last edited by Jshadowhunter; 2022-01-19 at 10:49 PM.

  17. #257
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Abandon hope... I never had it from the start, considering it's "the current year".
    I am sure it will go over as well as wheel of time.

  18. #258
    Quote Originally Posted by Sucralose View Post
    I am sure it will go over as well as wheel of time.
    Sweet mother... end me.

  19. #259
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    1. Progress is NOT synonymous with improvement.
    2. Not sure if you've noticed, but wokeness will ALWAYS have cheap pandering and bad writing, they're inseparable.
    if lotr came out now you'd be crying about eowyn kiling the witchking - muuhhh women.

  20. #260
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    if lotr came out now you'd be crying about eowyn kiling the witchking - muuhhh women.
    Strawman if I've ever seen one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •