1. #3321
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Yes, and the premise of those bringing this up as if it matters is flawed to start with. People don't brigade these systems with 10s..
    Don't be stupid. Of course it happens, and it happens as often as people brigading 1's.

    There exists groups of people who blindly champion a product and give it 10/10 for the sake of boosting its rating just as there are those who put 1's to bring it down. And you even bring up a strong example of that with WoT.

    As someone summed it up nicely above, most people who watch don't even bother reviewing. Fans and haters are much more likely to care enough to give a review than the average casual watcher. And shows with large fandoms and shows that have something controversial tend to have their reviews swayed by both tribes.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-03 at 06:16 AM.

  2. #3322
    Scarab Lord MCMLXXXII's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Delta swamp of the west
    Posts
    4,937
    I don't understand why people think user reviews are a fine metric to see how good a show is. (As in ever)

    So here's mine:

    Visuals are amazing and approaching the LotR movies. Way better then the Hobbit.
    Dwarves look awesome so far.
    Short hair elves are weird at first glance but not a deal breaker. Probably their hair grows incredibly slow.
    Pacing is off, like a lot.
    Don't like Galadriel but can't tell you why.

    So after two episodes I'd say 7/10

    And the stranger has to be Sauron or Morgoth/Melkor.
    Would be way too early for an Istari.
    Last edited by MCMLXXXII; 2022-09-03 at 07:00 AM.

  3. #3323
    Something doesn’t feel right about Galadriel

  4. #3324
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    He never ever describes as such, but as a leader, as someone wise, who guides others, who helps them to figure out what to do (as seen in the trilogy). She was never a fighter at any point, most females weren't which is why Eowen was such a big moment in the Return of the King. Just because you live thousands of years doesn't automatically make you an expert in many things, there are humans who live 100 years that are barely competent in one thing. To make her a warrior and a military leader is fanfic, you can like it, but it still remains fanfic.
    All female Elves would fight at times of need. It's typically the male Elves who would go forth to fight in other lands but "canonically" Galadriel tends towards masculine roles like wishing to rule and athleticism as well as being described as Amazon. Tolkien never explicitly wrote of her going out to fight but the story of the Second Age was due a rewrite to fit in her later characterisation and showing her as a warrior has some support from his notes and letters.

    They needed to add events to show it (probably due to licensing) but they really nailed her reasons for refusing to return to Aman despite longing to dwell there again. I also liked the little but if tension between her and Gil-galad where he carries more authority but everyone knows she carries more wisdom and is (again canonically) the greatest of the Elves living in Middle-earth.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    I don't understand why people think user reviews are a fine metric to see how good a show is. (As in ever)

    So here's mine:

    Visuals are amazing and approaching the LotR movies. Way better then the Hobbit.
    Dwarves look awesome so far.
    Short hair elves are weird at first glance but not a deal breaker. Probably their hair grows incredibly slow.
    Pacing if off, like a lot.
    Don't like Galadriel but can't tell you why.

    So after two episodes I'd say 7/10

    And the stranger has to be Sauron or Morgoth/Melkor.
    Would be way too early for an Istari.
    Tolkien was considering placing the Blue Wizards in the Second Age when he got around to rewriting the Silmarillion so it could be one of those. If it's Gandalf I would be very disappointed.

  5. #3325
    They not only disabled ratings, each „review“ will now be „reviewed“ to filter „bad faith“ ratings out.

    wow, curious how amazon determines what bad faith is


    Last edited by Universalgirl; 2022-09-03 at 06:44 AM.

  6. #3326
    Scarab Lord MCMLXXXII's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Delta swamp of the west
    Posts
    4,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Universalgirl View Post
    They not only disabled ratings, each „review“ will now be „reviewed“ to filter „bad faith“ ratings out.

    Gee, I wonder why you didn't share a link to that article? Is it because of this:

  7. #3327
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Don't like Galadriel but can't tell you why.
    I think it's a combination of the awkward dialogue and how they're framing her as a misunderstood outcast without like...really anything that would be necessary to establish that. Maybe it would work better if there had been more with Gil Galad and the implication that the other elves are uncomfortable around her because she might be harboring that dangerous darkness.

  8. #3328
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    I don't understand why people think user reviews are a fine metric to see how good a show is. (As in ever)

    So here's mine:

    Visuals are amazing and approaching the LotR movies. Way better then the Hobbit.
    Dwarves look awesome so far.
    Short hair elves are weird at first glance but not a deal breaker. Probably their hair grows incredibly slow.
    Pacing if off, like a lot.
    Don't like Galadriel but can't tell you why.

    So after two episodes I'd say 7/10

    And the stranger has to be Sauron or Morgoth/Melkor.
    Would be way too early for an Istari.
    The stranger must be one of the blue wizards. Tolkien revisioned the coming of the Wizards and put the two blue ones in the 2nd age. Since the show kind of compressed the time a lot to make it easier for viewers (and them selves lol) a blue wizard would be both cool, fun and lore-wise okey!

    For me the show is a clear 10/10 so far though, I have been waiting for 2nd age on screen and as a huge Tolkien nerd I've known for 19 years they'd have to make huge changes, time compressions and fill out hell a lot of blanks to make it a movie or show.. Not sure why so many people have a hard time with that.

    Tiny bits of "They should have done this or that" but I was 99.9% into it. I didn't feel the pacing was of at all, neither did my wife or brother+GF.

    The only hair I kind of felt like "Lmao GEn Z Represent!" was Finrod. But he was such a handsome badass mofo with the best chin I've seen so it was ok

  9. #3329
    Scarab Lord MCMLXXXII's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Delta swamp of the west
    Posts
    4,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post

    The only hair I kind of felt like "Lmao GEn Z Represent!" was Finrod. But he was such a handsome badass mofo with the best chin I've seen so it was ok
    Well the buzzcut on Arondir was kinda strange but makes sense out of military point of view.

  10. #3330
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Gee, I wonder why you didn't share a link to that article? Is it because of this:
    It seems it’s not about „Review Bombing“ it’s about filtering out Reviews that are not in line with Amazon Studios Ideology.

    Ok so from now all reviews get reviewed.

    Approve most 10/10

    Disapprove 90% below 6

    Leave 10% to look authentic.

    Dude it’s not about a honest attempt to filter trolls out. It’s about showing positive reviews even if majority disagrees.

    Who decides what’s bad faith?
    You can now label all bad faith to push rating’s.

    Is 10/10 rating with expressing that black elves feels not tolkien bad faith?
    Last edited by Universalgirl; 2022-09-03 at 07:14 AM.

  11. #3331
    Scarab Lord MCMLXXXII's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Delta swamp of the west
    Posts
    4,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Universalgirl View Post
    It seems it’s not about „Review Bombing“ it’s about filtering out Reviews that are not in line with Amazon Studios Ideology.

    Ok so from now all reviews get reviewed.

    Approve most 10/10

    Disapprove 90% below 6

    Leave 10% to look authentic.

    Dude it’s not about a honest attempt to filter trolls out. It’s about showing positive reviews even if majority disagrees.

    Who decides what’s bad faith?
    You can now label all bad faith to push rating’s.
    Even if that's true, why do you care so much? Is your life on the line or something?
    Do you want this "woke" show to fail, even if it isn't as bad as your favorite youtubers predicted?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I saw some of those 1/10 user reviews and most of them were toxic as hell, with lots of racial slur. If they would only moderate 1/10 reviews those neckbeards would vote 2/10 and so on.

  12. #3332
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Even if that's true, why do you care so much? Is your life on the line or something?
    Do you want this "woke" show to fail, even if it isn't as bad as your favorite youtubers predicted?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I saw some of those 1/10 user reviews and most of them were toxic as hell, with lots of racial slur. If they would only moderate 1/10 reviews those neckbeards would vote 2/10 and so on.
    Why do you care so much?

    You want a reality where only reviews are counted that Amazon Studios approved as not bad faith? Based on ideological presets?

  13. #3333
    Scarab Lord MCMLXXXII's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Delta swamp of the west
    Posts
    4,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Universalgirl View Post
    Why do you care so much?

    You want a reality where only reviews are counted that Amazon Studios approved as not bad faith? Based on ideological presets?
    No I don't care about useless anonymous reviews on the internet. I'm perfectly fine forming an opinion all by myself. I even only glance over critic reviews.
    You should try that, saves you a lot of energy, time and outrage.

  14. #3334
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    No I don't care about useless anonymous reviews on the internet. I'm perfectly fine forming an opinion all by myself. I even only glance over critic reviews.
    You should try that, saves you a lot of energy, time and outrage.
    No reason to be aggressive. When you support censorship based on ideology it’s your call.

  15. #3335
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Well the buzzcut on Arondir was kinda strange but makes sense out of military point of view.
    But it only makes sense if Elves had electric razors, otherwise it seems kind of pointless cutting a fade with scissors when a simpler haircut would be more practical.

  16. #3336
    Scarab Lord MCMLXXXII's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Delta swamp of the west
    Posts
    4,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    But it only makes sense if Elves had electric razors, otherwise it seems kind of pointless cutting a fade with scissors when a simpler haircut would be more practical.
    As said earlier in this thread, there are plenty of oldschool barbers who can create such haircuts without electrical appliances in an instant.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Universalgirl View Post
    No reason to be aggressive. When you support censorship based on ideology it’s your call.
    Pot meet kettle. It isn't censorship based on ideology, it's removing toxic, racist comments on a privately owned website.
    Last edited by MCMLXXXII; 2022-09-03 at 07:53 AM.

  17. #3337
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    But it only makes sense if Elves had electric razors, otherwise it seems kind of pointless cutting a fade with scissors when a simpler haircut would be more practical.
    Doesn't have to ONLY be practical. You think those breastplate decorations are practical? Very clearly elves care about aesthetics as well, so it would make total sense that their haircuts would reflect that, too. And remember: this is magical stuff at work. They can hammer out crystals of light, they can snip-snap a fade haircut with mithril shears and 2,000 years of barber experience like THAT.

  18. #3338
    Scarab Lord MCMLXXXII's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Delta swamp of the west
    Posts
    4,937
    I get it, getting so emotional about user reviews being moderated probably means one of your racist or at least xenophobic reviews got removed.

    That's the last I'll say about this. Back to the show.

  19. #3339
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    And the stranger has to be Sauron or Morgoth/Melkor.
    Would be way too early for an Istari.
    It's almost guaranteed to be Gandalf. He was sent to aid Middle Earth against Sauron's reemerging power, which falls into what the show is portraying; he was reluctant to go, stating he was afraid of Sauron and weak; he took the form of an old man from the beginning to show humility; and he is strongly associated with fire (the "Secret Fire" of Eru Ilúvatar, and later the bearer of Narya, the Ring of Fire). He's even demonstrated his aptitude to talk to insects in the Jackson movies, in almost the EXACT SAME WAY as the Stranger talks to the fireflies.

    Those are all perfect fits. Whereas for him to be either Sauron or Melkor, there'd have to be massive changes to the entire established lore.

  20. #3340
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It's almost guaranteed to be Gandalf. He was sent to aid Middle Earth against Sauron's reemerging power, which falls into what the show is portraying; he was reluctant to go, stating he was afraid of Sauron and weak; he took the form of an old man from the beginning to show humility; and he is strongly associated with fire (the "Secret Fire" of Eru Ilúvatar, and later the bearer of Narya, the Ring of Fire). He's even demonstrated his aptitude to talk to insects in the Jackson movies, in almost the EXACT SAME WAY as the Stranger talks to the fireflies.

    Those are all perfect fits. Whereas for him to be either Sauron or Melkor, there'd have to be massive changes to the entire established lore.
    Wouldn't that need to be the case for Gandalf? From what I've gathered he went to Middle Earth during the third age.

    I still think it is Gandalf, because they already change things like hobbits for example, but that means they could also change it to be anyone really. But they are really going into the Gandalf look, so if they bait and switch it just feels like deliberate bait and switch for the audience.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2022-09-03 at 08:15 AM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •