Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ...
6
14
15
16
17
18
26
... LastLast
  1. #301
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I was 24 when RotK came out and I don't remember anyone whining about Eowyn at least not in the context of sexism. The only negatives I remember from message boards and early forums sites back then was the purist LotR book readers who complained about certain scenes being mixed around and portrayals being way different than the books. I distinctly remember people not liking Viggo Morrisons Aragon very much. I don't remember any sexism in movies in general hardly at all back in the day, and I was getting into a lot of forums back then. Maybe it will depend on the circle we surrounded ourselves with, not saying it never existed of course sexism always has.

    For me the real anti-women, anti-feminism, real right wing man child whiney, 'ma childhood' crowds, on the internet at least, really took off post Gamergate. At least thats when I finally noticed a lot of it, back in the day you maybe would notice one or two instances and people would turn and blind eye and get on with their day.

    I suppose with the rise of Youtube and twitter has made peoples voices more louder and amplified alot of horrible people, so thats probably why. But back in the day, especially the early 2000's I don't remember anyone I know complaining about that scene. The cinema I was in I remember getting a positive reaction when Eowyn killing the witch-king. Especially on that "I am no man" line. would love to know what online social groups you were hearing so much sexism from.
    I wouldn't say people became louder or amplified as much as it became trendy to be outraged over really trivial and dumb things. Worse news networks or perhaps that is to distinguished a term... "information networks" on both sides always zero in on the absolute worst of each side. It is a way for corporations to divide an audience and get fools to fight for their them.

  2. #302
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    13,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Maybe ya'll aren't old enough to remember - but people DID have a problem with Eowyn killing the witch-king in the movie. Even though it was 'true to source'. I very much remember the misogynist rage about that scene and trying to claim 'feminists' were messing up their Tolkien or whatever they were claiming. Just as stupid as it is now - but yea, people did complain.

    (and sorry I don't know how to make it multi-quote multiple sources in a better format - that 'mulit quote button' at the bottom of posts doesn't seem to do anything lol)
    I'll take "Things that didn't happen" for $500, Alex.

    Seriously, this didn't happen, and if it did, it was on some obscure forum on some site no one has ever heard of. People literally didn't give two squirts of piss about it, even the LOTR purists because it was canon.

  3. #303
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    15,634
    Any idea when a real trailer will pop out?

    The teaser was well done, but it was a kinda let down after so much time waiting.

  4. #304
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Any idea when a real trailer will pop out? The teaser was well done, but it was a kinda let down after so much time waiting.
    It releases September so maybe in the summer we'll see more of a substantial trailer.

  5. #305
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    15,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    It releases September so maybe in the summer we'll see more of a substantial trailer.
    I heard they are pushing to release in the day tolkien died, at some sort of "tribute", but it give some weird vibes.

  6. #306
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    I heard they are pushing to release in the day tolkien died, at some sort of "tribute", but it give some weird vibes.
    That’s the scheduled September release date, no pushing required.

  7. #307
    Scarab Lord Frontenac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Québec, Québec
    Posts
    4,130
    So their intent is to tell the story of each of the Rings of Power? That could be interesting. That means we may learn more about each of ther bearers. Just think of the Nine. Who is the Witch King? Who was Khamûl, and each of the other Nazgûl? One could be from Númenor, another could be an Easterling (Khamül), another one could be from Far Harad, or Umbar, etc. Which means that we could see all these different places. And they can get somewhat creative about it, since Tolkien wrote so little about them. It will be fan fiction, of course, but I don't mind some creative speculation.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

  8. #308
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    So their intent is to tell the story of each of the Rings of Power? That could be interesting. That means we may learn more about each of ther bearers. Just think of the Nine. Who is the Witch King? Who was Khamûl, and each of the other Nazgûl? One could be from Númenor, another could be an Easterling (Khamül), another one could be from Far Harad, or Umbar, etc. Which means that we could see all these different places. And they can get somewhat creative about it, since Tolkien wrote so little about them. It will be fan fiction, of course, but I don't mind some creative speculation.
    There are some details about the nine, but only Khamul was the only other named. The game from Ice Crown did detail the others being consistent with the source material and so often presented it wouldn't surprise me if they did get ICE on board. (The material was impressive!)

    - - - Updated - - -


  9. #309
    I will hope for the best but i think they are going to take a big old shit on the franchise.

  10. #310
    Elemental Lord Slacker76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Javelin of Shitposts, Post-and-Forget
    Posts
    8,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I was 24 when RotK came out and I don't remember anyone whining about Eowyn at least not in the context of sexism. The only negatives I remember from message boards and early forums sites back then was the purist LotR book readers who complained about certain scenes being mixed around and portrayals being way different than the books. I distinctly remember people not liking Viggo Morrisons Aragon very much. I don't remember any sexism in movies in general hardly at all back in the day, and I was getting into a lot of forums back then. Maybe it will depend on the circle we surrounded ourselves with, not saying it never existed of course sexism always has.

    For me the real anti-women, anti-feminism, real right wing man child whiney, 'ma childhood' crowds, on the internet at least, really took off post Gamergate. At least thats when I finally noticed a lot of it, back in the day you maybe would notice one or two instances and people would turn and blind eye and get on with their day.

    I suppose with the rise of Youtube and twitter has made peoples voices more louder and amplified alot of horrible people, so thats probably why. But back in the day, especially the early 2000's I don't remember anyone I know complaining about that scene. The cinema I was in I remember getting a positive reaction when Eowyn killing the witch-king. Especially on that "I am no man" line. would love to know what online social groups you were hearing so much sexism from.
    I thought it was that Eowyn was "too old" and not "Super model sexy" enough to be a real slayer of witch king.

    Fearful of fanboi backlash, I remember the video games glamming up Shelob.



    She's empowered now. /s

  11. #311
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    I thought it was that Eowyn was "too old" and not "Super model sexy" enough to be a real slayer of witch king.
    The actress? Wasn't she 19yrs old when she got the part?
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Fearful of fanboi backlash, I remember the video games glamming up Shelob. She's empowered now. /s
    Well..she'd turn me to the Dark side...

  12. #312
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    just to remind everyone, the rings of power weren't infact rings of power they were wedding rings and all the kings gay married Sauron. looking forward to a show based on this.
    Sauron diluted down some of his power into the rings that's why he wants them back when he realised turning the leaders into slaves wasn't working on the dwarfs and elves who hid them and didn't wear them. The 3 given to the elves receiving the most mojo as they were the biggest threat to his plans. Also frodos ring is shown as having the power of invisibility
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2022-01-21 at 09:16 PM.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  13. #313
    Quote Originally Posted by Sucralose View Post
    I wouldn't say people became louder or amplified as much as it became trendy to be outraged over really trivial and dumb things. Worse news networks or perhaps that is to distinguished a term... "information networks" on both sides always zero in on the absolute worst of each side. It is a way for corporations to divide an audience and get fools to fight for their them.
    That's probably more accurate, although one would have to make a "chicken or the egg" argument about which came first: news and social media pushing narratives at the expense of facts/truth, or people focusing on all the wrong things. Regardless, it's currently trendy to make media/shows/movies/etc. focused on all the wrong things, all at the expense of the content itself... and that's the real push-back about the current state of the business (aside from random nutjobs).

    When it came to RotK, no one had an issue because the movie was pretty faithful to the source material, the female roles weren't ham-fisted in with excessive on emphasis on messaging that doesn't make sense nor belongs in the narrative, all while the content was well-written and executed without trying to shove social/political topics-of-the-day down the viewers' throats. This is why the "women haters" like show/movies with strong/tough women in them from ages past while having issues with a lot of today's media, as current day media tends to 'empower' women by destroying everything around them in the process.

    It's all about the execution, not the existence of women in media. Well-written female characters in good content will be praised by everyone across the spectrum. Creators of trash content and characters with a tendency to shove political messaging down the viewer's throat will just decry "racist/sexist/misogynist/<insert -ist> alt-right haters" at anyone who calls out their content for what it is: terrible. Such lunacy is then amplified by social media and the news, and you get the self-sustaining mad house that we currently live in.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

  14. #314
    Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    Except....that scene is book accurate. If it wasn't book accurate and the kill was stolen from someone else then people would complain. But it IS book accurate, so your just manufacturing a fictional complaint.
    Not gonna defend the other guy's complaint, since I do think he's whining for the sake of whining

    But needed to get my two cents in there that the scene wasn't book accurate. The movies omit a very important 'blink and you miss it' set up in the books that has been theorized to why the Witch King was killable by Eowyn. It had to do with the fact that Merry was wielding an enchanted blade that he got in the Barrows that made the Witch King vulnerable to mortal weapons after Merry stabs him. Merry himself isn't aware that his weapon is magical. We never got a scene in the movies where he gets the blade from the Barrows, so this doesn't carry over into the movies at all; he simply gets a regular sword from the Riders of Rohan. It's an often overlooked piece of trivia that has an in-universe explanation to it from the books.

    So yeah, the scene still played out the way it did in the books, but the real winner here should actually be Merry for making the Witch King actually killable. Of course, the movies don't really go out of their way to explain that the Witch King is somehow immune to mortal blades either, so it comes down to interpreting his words as 'I can't be killed by anyone with a penis'
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-01-21 at 10:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

  15. #315
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    I will hope for the best but i think they are going to take a big old shit on the franchise.
    I totally think people are right to be cynical about Hollywood and their handling of famous franchises over the past several years.

    The only silver living here is that Tolkien's work is immutable. No matter how terrible or excellent this series might be, it will never technically be canon and can always be forgotten and hand waved away.

  16. #316
    Hi guys: I'm back from a long winter break. This is a not-so-friendly warning: Cut the shit out. This is not a subforum for whining about perceived social agendas and "wokeness," you can try that nonsense in GenOT, and see if they'll tolerate it there. It won't be put up with here.

  17. #317
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    We have a lot of characters but not a lot of characterization. That's why I'm leery about the writers. After WoT and either hearing the excuses for the lack of, or worse, hearing "good enuff," a company paying that much money had damn well do better than mediocre. The writing needs to be superlative, and the characters need to live.
    They have plenty of leeway in this regard.
    Agreed. The strength of a series like GoT was it's ability to rely on source material to create a long, sprawling, yet coherent plot. The source material for this series is basically an outline at best, so this series depends heavily on the quality of the writing. Given how difficult it is to create something like this, and recent complete failures (Star Wars, Wheel of Time), I'm pessimistic about the result.

  18. #318
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Sauron diluted down some of his power into the rings that's why he wants them back when he realised turning the leaders into slaves wasn't working on the dwarfs and elves who hid them and didn't wear them. The 3 given to the elves receiving the most mojo as they were the biggest threat to his plans. Also frodos ring is shown as having the power of invisibility
    I thought the elves were using their rings though to defend rivendell, the forest place with Cate blanchety and whatever.

    That's the point of the story, he gets the ring and they lose chunks of power because they can't use them anymore without compromising themselves.

    He doesn't want them back, he wants that back

  19. #319
    The Three Rings

    Nenya, Narya and Vilya; the only three of the Rings of Power to be made wholly outside the influence of Sauron. Their power maintained the realms of the Elves in Middle-earth until the destruction of the Ruling Ring.

  20. #320
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Sauron diluted down some of his power into the rings that's why he wants them back when he realised turning the leaders into slaves wasn't working on the dwarfs and elves who hid them and didn't wear them. The 3 given to the elves receiving the most mojo as they were the biggest threat to his plans. Also frodos ring is shown as having the power of invisibility
    I know he put his power into the one ring, but did he put it into the others as well? They say he never actually touched the three rings.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •