1. #3601
    Titan Al Gorefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A state of madness
    Posts
    11,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Yourendbsby View Post
    Amazon Studios clearly set a racial goal explicitly stated by % number .

    When a external Studio didn’t accomplish that they have to justify.

    What do you not understand that they set a % of race selected actors?

    Why do you pretend it’s not real?

    Why they draw likes and say

    10% lgbt
    10% disabled
    And other 30% race quotas and so on

    You try to convince people that they have no race selected hires

    Are you a troll or just woke as fuck?

    Dont bother to try fool people

    If any of these aspirational goals are not met, the external partner may be asked to submit a description of the steps that were taken to achieve these goals

    A external partner has to justify why they didn’t met racial quota, so how you can sell us a story that there is no racial quota.

    By 2024 its up to 50% and it’s gonna be enforced

    Its their inclusivity statement

    Besides that i am fucking out of this discussion

    Woke protector, you are racist by supporting racial based hirings and quotas

    Get the fuck out i am done and off
    Holy hell, why does it matter? You talk like white people are losing their jobs to bad talented people simply because they aren't white, and are angry about that. Do you think white people are better actors for having been born white?

  2. #3602
    Quote Originally Posted by Yourendbsby View Post
    Amazon Studios clearly set a racial goal explicitly stated by % number .

    When a external Studio didn’t accomplish that they have to justify.
    Correct, but you are saying if the goal is not met they have to go back and try again which is clearly nonsense. All they have to do is show they could not hit the targets while filling in the skills needed. Simple.

    What do you not understand that they set a % of race selected actors?


    Woke protector, you are racist by supporting racial based hirings and quotas

    Get the fuck out i am done and off
    Ha, the old "people who think racism is a problem are the real racists!" is a classic.

  3. #3603
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    One of the enduring messages of Tolkien best exemplified in LotR is "diversity is strength" and that usually gets the sorts of people who cry about WOKE in a frothing rage.

    - - - Updated - - -



    To mess with people. What better way to spread discord than to pretend to be in opposition to your main goals and then spread discord among those united against you. It's not entirely unlike what he did as Annatar.
    I think he would look a lot fairer/younger if it’s sauron… but we’ll see!

  4. #3604
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark View Post
    I think your right in your statement. I feel that 1-10 ratings for movies and shows however give too much leeway. Rating from 1-5 I feel is more accurate and all that is needed by most people. 5 stars means it's a damn good, well written, enjoyable program. 1 is Just bad because you didn't like it, it was poorly written and acted, etc. 2 would be like a guilty pleasure, 3-4 are decently good and watchable under most circumstances. But most people aren't going to take the time to weigh the good and bad points much on something they don't like. They will just give whatever the lowest rating is. However today in our age of extremes the top rating will never be good enough and the lowest will never be bad enough to satisfy some. This is why you read reviews of things and see comments like "if I could give 0 stars I would!"
    People giving 10 or 1 reviews are not actually reviewing anything. They’re trying to punish/reward showrunners.

  5. #3605
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark View Post
    I think your right in your statement. I feel that 1-10 ratings for movies and shows however give too much leeway. Rating from 1-5 I feel is more accurate and all that is needed by most people. 5 stars means it's a damn good, well written, enjoyable program. 1 is Just bad because you didn't like it, it was poorly written and acted, etc. 2 would be like a guilty pleasure, 3-4 are decently good and watchable under most circumstances. But most people aren't going to take the time to weigh the good and bad points much on something they don't like. They will just give whatever the lowest rating is. However today in our age of extremes the top rating will never be good enough and the lowest will never be bad enough to satisfy some. This is why you read reviews of things and see comments like "if I could give 0 stars I would!"
    I think one "dishonest" aspect could be not actually watching the show before giving a rating.
    But even then it could also be "dishonest" if they rate it 0/1 but still watch the show anyway.
    It is not dishonest if they don't want to watch it whether due to trailers or having watched an episode.
    Basically 0 or 1 for a series like this means I literally have no plans to watch this ever.
    Other people may be saying that you need to watch the whole thing before leaving a review like that (or at all).
    This is partly how the certified critic reviews on rotten tomatoes are behaving.
    And Amazon is rolling out something similar to this on their site for users to actually make sure they watched.
    Last edited by InfiniteCharger; 2022-09-03 at 08:24 PM.

  6. #3606
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Ha, the old "people who think racism is a problem are the real racists!" is a classic.
    I'm pretty sure they talked about people "supporting racial based hiring and quotas", not "who think racism is a problem". And I think that because I copy-pasted that text from their post. Those two aren't interchangeable and it's perfectly possible to oppose racism while thinking the quotas (which, by the way, aren't even legal in US) are not the way to address it. And while all the screaming about "forced diversity" irks me, things like you having to blatantly misrepresent what you're replying to aren't a great look either.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Like... what? What is Self-identify as a person with disability? Either you have a disability or you don't, indulging into self-diagnosing or "faking" shouldn't be encouraged. :|
    Like these people who fake tourettes for clout.
    Yeah, I was thinking that it was something like the site being in another language being google-translated weirdly, but it appears to be legit. The bit about how racial quotas are to be used only "where it doesn’t compromise the authenticity of the story" was also interesting, given the givens. Though my favorite is how there's a 30% quota for white men and a 30% for white women and non-binary people. Having "woke" policies is one thing, but failing at them so hard you can't even give an equal quota to (white) men and (white) women (one would think that'd be the bare minimum and the first thing to include in such a hiring plan) and instead bundle women together with non-binary people is another.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2022-09-03 at 08:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

  7. #3607
    Warning: There has already been a warning issued yesterday about bringing outside conspiracies of agenda to this thread. Initially, the discussion about review bombing was attempted in good faith, but it is clear now a few posters are attempting to derail in the worst possible faith. From now on, this is considered off-topic for this thread. There is a separate thread on this subforum to discuss review bombing specifically, if you wish to discuss further. Infractions have been issued, and will be continued to be issued, for further pursuing this derail.

  8. #3608
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking that it was something like the site being in another language being google-translated weirdly, but it appears to be legit. The bit about how racial quotas are to be used only "where it doesn’t compromise the authenticity of the story" was also interesting, given the givens. Though my favorite is how there's a 30% quota for white men and a 30% for white women and non-binary people. Having "woke" policies is one thing, but failing at them so hard you can't even give an equal quota to (white) men and (white) women (one would think that'd be the bare minimum and the first thing to include in such a hiring plan) and instead bundle women together with non-binary people is another.
    Googled it and it seems self-identify just being the one who identify your disability to the employer.
    Such a weird wording to me, granted english isn't my first.

    You can choose not to disclose your disability, but if you do, you would be "self-identified person with a disability".
    Feel like they could just use "10% goes to a person with a disability".
    Error 404 - Signature not found

  9. #3609
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    I think he would look a lot fairer/younger if it’s sauron… but we’ll see!
    There's that, but it also seems weird that Sauron would voluntarily become an addled hobo. There's nothing that ever suggested that in the lore, in fact quite the opposite - Sauron was obsessed with appearing confident and attractive, which is why it was such a blow to him no longer being able "to assume a fair form" after the fall of Númenor.

    Whereas Gandalf INTENTIONALLY chose to appear as an old man, as a reminder of his own humility. It would also make sense that he'd be confused and disoriented, having come to Middle Earth for the very first time and indeed having assumed human form for the first time. Whereas Sauron has been in ME for literal ages.

    I guess they could take into whatever direction they want, but I'd be VERY surprised if they changed things on that scale. Having Gandalf show up a little earlier isn't a big change - it's still the same reason, the same motivation, the same general everything except for the specific moment in time. If it was Sauron (or even Melkor) they'd have to change so many other things.

  10. #3610
    Banned Ihavewaffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    The spice must flow!
    Posts
    4,876
    With all that money, that dialogue, those actors...jesus...

  11. #3611
    Out of the billion spent, I think more should have gone to writing. Congratulations to the team for making Galadriel completely unlikeable. Elrond and Arondir are far more interesting to watch.

  12. #3612
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Googled it and it seems self-identify just being the one who identify your disability to the employer.
    Such a weird wording to me, granted english isn't my first.

    You can choose not to disclose your disability, but if you do, you would be "self-identified person with a disability".
    Feel like they could just use "10% goes to a person with a disability".
    Yeah, that wording makes no sense. It should be something like "disclosed disability" in that case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

  13. #3613
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammonoske View Post
    Out of the billion spent, I think more should have gone to writing. Congratulations to the team for making Galadriel completely unlikeable. Elrond and Arondir are far more interesting to watch.
    I dunno man, I liked Galadriel a lot in this. She’s very different from the Galadriel in PJ’s movies, but a couple 1000 years of hardships may just change a person.

    Very curious to see where they take her!

  14. #3614
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammonoske View Post
    Out of the billion spent, I think more should have gone to writing. Congratulations to the team for making Galadriel completely unlikeable. Elrond and Arondir are far more interesting to watch.
    I haven't watched these episodes yet, but I often wonder if I could write for Hollywood, considering the quality of writing that has been omnipresent throughout the history of television.

  15. #3615
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    24,966
    LOTR dialogue has always been dry

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  16. #3616
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    LOTR dialogue has always been dry
    The dialogue sounds pretty on par for what the OT was. I don't see how it is any different.

  17. #3617
    I am Murloc! Asrialol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5,775
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    Dude. Some people seriously do not like this show. It is real. Get over it.

    It is supposed to be an "aggregated" model used statistically along with other metrics.
    Meaning 0 to 10 scale only becomes valuable when used in a larger sample set.
    Obviously with all the large number of ratings below a 6, that must mean a lot of people don't like it.
    This data is intended to give a general assessment of the overall reception of this show.
    I don't get your point other than it is just OK to ignore the obvious.
    There are plenty of things that get pretty low reviews all the time and there are plenty that get good reviews.
    And I have found that in general the audience review averages tend to be good references.

    Seems like you are getting ready to pretend that your opinion is the only reference that matters and that others can't have theirs.
    Like come on dude, I don't have time to debate with you about parading your subjective opinion as objective fact again.
    I doubt they even gave the show a chance. People decided based off of trailers that they hate it.

    Lmao. LOTR fans are worse than Star Wars fans.
    Hi

  18. #3618
    Its about in par with a wheel of time. I wish they just made a new fantasy IP for this.

  19. #3619
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Forced diversity is the same thing as discrimination. It is just the people at the top saying that they believe groups of people aren't qualified enough to be hired otherwise. Its -isms from people believing they are "good people".

    If you take 2 people, who are closely qualified for a position, and you hire the man over the woman because of his gender, its sexist.

    So..... if you take the same 2 people, and hire the woman over the man because of her gender.... what is it?
    What a load of horse shit.

    No, you’re examples are not sexist as is. There can certainly be good reasons to target a particular candidate based on gender. What would be sexist is if you made the decision based on the idea that one gender is inherently better than the other.

    Let’s say you’re picking a team of 5 people and after picking 3 men you decide the next pick should be a woman to bring more diversity to the group. Are you suddenly sexist for acknowledging that both genders are a valuable part of the team? Of course not. That’s not how sexism works.

    There’s also no such thing as “forced diversity”. It’s just called “diversity”. The only people who feel it’s forced are those who have a problem with it on an ideological level.

    AS FOR THE SHOW:
    - Better than expected. My only real complaint would be about all the fast travel making things feel rushed at times, but it makes sense given that they’re trying to keep things going across 4-5 different storylines.
    - The production value is definitely there (despite what any naysayers think). Compared to later seasons of GoT where much of the budget was eaten up by a few CGI dragons and an increasingly expensive cast, we’re getting a lot more visual “bang for your buck” in just these two first episodes. Looking forward to more spectacular looking settings and action sequences over the course of the season.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2022-09-03 at 11:13 PM.

  20. #3620
    Pretty bleh, and the random inserts everywhere takes me out of the story. There were so many better ways to do this, more interesting ways. As a stand alone series I'd give this 5/10, as a LOTR adaptation I'll give it 3.5/10 because of the lore butchering going on.
    House of the dragon is looking like the clear winner of this titanic fantasy budget match.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •