Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Well whatever the case I would be fine with them removing scores for 1 or 2... but for 3-5 is a bit sad, cos I would certainly rate the first episode a 5/10 myself, with the second being a 7/10. Also there could be some constructive reviews in the 4 - 5 rating areas. I wouldn't be against anyone rating the show so far a 4/10 so far.

I can image they are deleting them to allow the rage of people to calm down then open the gates over a certain amount of time so the outrage isn't as fresh or as many.
    So are people raging basically about the racial diversity of the show or what?

Well whatever the case I would be fine with them removing scores for 1 or 2... but for 3-5 is a bit sad, cos I would certainly rate the first episode a 5/10 myself, with the second being a 7/10. Also there could be some constructive reviews in the 4 - 5 rating areas. I wouldn't be against anyone rating the show so far a 4/10 so far.

I can image they are deleting them to allow the rage of people to calm down then open the gates over a certain amount of time so the outrage isn't as fresh or as many. sure some of the baiters will return to downvote, but it wont be as many so it will still create a more honest overall review instead of the kneejerk outrage.

this is why I rate by season and not by episode, I wont post my review until then. So this sort of thing serves me well enough
    They should have removed the 10/10 as well then if they would have wanted to be "honest" intellectually.

Well whatever the case I would be fine with them removing scores for 1 or 2... but for 3-5 is a bit sad, cos I would certainly rate the first episode a 5/10 myself, with the second being a 7/10
    I would be fine if they removed the actual review bombing reviews. As in downvoting for the blatantly "wrong" reasons.
    Not a blanket removal of certain scores.
    But saying they remove reviews because of review bombings of course gives them a shield, since they insinuate that all these negative reviews are politically or ideological charged. It's easy to dismiss negative reviews when you deem them bad faith, even though majority of the reviews I see talk about bad acting, writing and story in general.

Handling it like that though won't give the impression that the show is better than the scores though. It's just manipulation...but as an insider from amazon mentioned:
    "Show will succeed because it has to". Not sure how true or valid that is, but it's on par with what we see.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ArminVanburkek View Post
    Well I know from what I had saw on IMDB before they were taken down a lot of the 1 star reviews were very bad reviews with like 5 words and some were very stupid like 'black elves, not my my middle-earth' type of reviews, but as I said I don't agree too much with taking down the 3/10+ reviews. But a lot of what I saw from the 1 star reviews were not even good enough to be called reviews.

I have been reviewing on IMDB since 2001, I have also had a review taken down in that time because of review bombing (not because I was review bombing of course, I was just caught in the crossfire) around that time, but the thing is, I was allowed to put it up against after so much time had past. I think thats what IMDB are doing.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-09-04 at 08:27 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BaumanKing View Post
    This series is currently being review-bombed by racists and russkies. Don't fall for this manipulation.
    And this is why people don't take you fucking clowns seriously and the whole world is starting to roll their eyes at this kind of bullshit response. This is the same dumbass excuse every time some piss ass woke show gets ratioed by the same audience it should be trying to attract by being entertaining.

People love Arcane despite all of it's progressive themes. I've been watching The Expanse and that show is diverse but still has a great cast of characters and women who are badass. Both shows have great writing and interesting themes that make them entertaining without being preachy bullshit.

Stop using the istaphobe excuse as a fucking shield for mediocrity being criticised. It's a piss ass excuse for a Tolkien adaptation and does nothing well, shilling for it isn't going to make you friends with IRLs version of Dr Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by ArminVanburkek View Post
    Some are, as always. Plenty are downvoting because of accuracy, acting, writing and story.
    To give a perspective, House of the Dragon haven't been review bombed because of diversity, there sure are criticisms about it, but people like the show. No reason why they would be treated differently except quality being the main drive.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Some are, as always. Plenty are downvoting because of accuracy, acting, writing and story.
    To give a perspective, House of the Dragon haven't been review bombed because of diversity, there sure are criticisms about it, but people like the show. No reason why they would be treated differently except quality being the main drive.
    It's almost like if you make a halfway decent story with interesting characters, people can look past any potential race swapping silliness that really doesn't have an impact on a lot of shows, and actually judge it for what it is. House of the Dragon isn't mind blowing or anything, but it does everything well enough to be a decent show and people are fine with the creative liberties that were made so far. Of course, that could change as more episodes release.

Also, anything to do with Tolkien is going to get an absurd amount of scrutiny from the purists. Fans of the films also would hold anything else to the high bar that Peter Jackson set with the trilogy, because even the Hobbit gets railed on for being bad.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    They specifically showed a Balrog in that earlier trailer. No idea if that's supposed to be the same one that ultimately destroyed Khazad-dum, or just a red herring (like the cultist chick herself that they implied was summoning it in the first place...which everyone immediately assumed was supposed to be Annatar).
    That's a fair point, I suppose. I forgot about the trailer. I guess the Balrog storyline is too juicy for them not to include, even if it doesn't fit the chronology quite perfectly. Or maybe it does, and we see a lot bigger time spans than we think, who knows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Watched the first two episodes, honestly thought it was decent.

Is the "Stranger" Gandalf (was speaking to the bugs) or Sauron (the crater he was in looked like Sauron's Eye)?
    I'm hoping it's one of the the other wizards.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    They are getting treated differently because one was review bombed. Its not that people dislike it is the issue. Wheel of Time was disliked but wasnt review bombed. I can assume the sites problem saw a mass influx of traffic to their sites coming to downvote. I don't get the feeling Wheel of Time saw that much influx when people were upset about that show who's complaints were very similar I may add :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Are we allowed to talk about the show? It seems ok, hard to tell after only a couple of episodes. I certainly don't feel compelled to go review or rate it right away. Almost seems like a person would need some kind of agenda to rush into such actions.
    /s

The problem with racial diversity in this kind of shows is usually more related to cultures than it is to race.

Something like presenting an isolated small community on a medieval setting as if it was a melting pot from a big city from our 21st century makes it less believable and if the show has a serious tone, it makes it less likeable. Is not a problem with race because that small community doesn't have to be a bunch of white people, they could as well be a bunch of black people, asian people or anything you want as long as they all have similar racial traits and the same made-up culture within that setting.

I don't mind diversity as long as it is presented in a way that makes sense both within the setting of the world and the tone of the show.
    Let's imagine that we have two cities.
    One is a popular trade port that is close to the border with some other kindgom and it has a lot of sea trade from more kingdoms.
    The other city is some boring place at the north, far from any border, basically just trades with other cities from the same kingdom.

Presenting a racially diverse society on the first city is totally fine, because it's easy to justify and understand that after centuries trading with diverse countries, immigration happened, people mixed up and the culture from that city is diverse. Trying to do the same thing with the second city will have a negative effect because it won't be believable. Or you can simply have a very different tone in your show up to the point that the world setting is not taken seriously because the show is about the romance & drama between characters.

Anyway, good writing and good acting can do wonders even with forced diversity. It's usually the lack of the first two what makes people pay more attention to things like race and how much sense it makes in that setting.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Are we allowed to talk about the show? It seems ok, hard to tell after only a couple of episodes. I certainly don't feel compelled to go review or rate it right away. Almost seems like a person would need some kind of agenda to rush into such actions.
    See that's always been my way of thinking, unless the site has a review episode by episode format (as IMDB does), but you shouldn't be able to rate the whole season until the season is finished, it makes sense... at least in my opinion

They are getting treated differently because one was review bombed. Its not that people dislike it is the issue. Wheel of Time was disliked but wasnt review bombed. I can assume the sites problem saw a mass influx of traffic to their sites coming to downvote. I don't get the feeling Wheel of Time saw that much influx when people were upset about that show who's complaints were very similar I may add :P
    What I meant is, why is the review bombers treating the show differently when both have been criticized for the same thing?
    If diversity and BLACK PEOPLE were the problem and main drive for a review bomb, then surely HotD would be susceptible for it as well. But it wasn't, even though it received the same critique.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Are we allowed to talk about the show?
    I wish they would. Woke up today to several more pages of race/diversity bullshit. I mean I get it, but there's no point going on about it and the mods have already given warnings. Just shut the fuck up about it. There's a risk of this thread being closed and that would suck.

Anyway... seems like some people are suggesting that Halbrand is Annatar, and that there might even be some romance between him and Galadriel. There's even a hint of it in the writing, when the king speaks about her to Elrond: "She might have inadvertently kept alive the very evil she sought to defeat" I really hope not though.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I meant is, why is the review bombers treating the show differently when both have been criticized for the same thing?
    If diversity and BLACK PEOPLE were the problem and main drive for a review bomb, then surely HotD would be susceptible for it as well. But it wasn't, even though it received the same critique.
    I think there are many reasons,

House of the Dragon was made with George RR Martin and close to the end of Season 8, so that familiarity is fresh and in the show keeps with continuity, also after season 8 I would assume a lot of fans were dead low on expectations.

With Rings of Power it mostly has to do with lead up and time between franchises, there are no familiarity with the source material, that worried alot of fans, say what you want about Hobbit, it had that familiarity with Lot. Also its not being made with help from people who helped make the movies which may put people off where as House of the dragon was made by basically the same team. I can also feel that Lord of the Rings like star Wars has a very gate keepy toxic fanbase who cling onto the past of how things were done then, let's not forget that the original movie was 20+ years ago. With House of the Draogn it's been like only 5 years since Season 8?

There are so many reasons I havent included because its never just one. there's also cos the fandom is racist as fuck, but that's the obvious go to. Let's not forget that the lead up to the show featured grifter channels constantly posting Galadriel, the black elf and the black dwarf in the thumbnail, so they knew what their main focus was on.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-09-04 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    There's even a hint of it in the writing, when the king speaks about her to Elrond: "She might have inadvertently kept alive the very evil she sought to defeat"
    He said that because she's consumed by her need for vengeance...not because of some man she hadn't even met yet. It's possible the theory about him is true, but I don't see any reason to ship them just because of what Gil Galad said.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    He said that because she's consumed by her need for vengeance...not because of some man she hadn't even met yet. It's possible the theory about him is true, but I don't see any reason to ship them just because of what Gil Galad said.
    People aren't shipping them/guessing his identity based 100% on that line. It's just a possible hint, which is something that writers occasionally do. I would be surprised if he is Annatar, because it would have been quite a clumsy and obvious introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic-inessa View Post
    Well seems to be important too many People

Woke Vs Traditional Familie

We will not surrender to forced inclusivity or abomination like self-identified disability people

It’s a war.

Racial upheaval and cultural clash

Amazon Woke Ideology is tryinf to put a Bear,Lion and a Monkey into the same Cage.

It doesn’t work.

Simple as that, proof it works.

Oh see everybody is talking about race and woke infused agenda on ring on powers
    Come back and try again at making your idiotic point when you’ve learned to spell.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    People aren't shipping them/guessing his identity based 100% on that line. It's just a possible hint, which is something that writers occasionally do. I would be surprised if he is Annatar, because it would have been quite a clumsy and obvious introduction.
    eh, people ship basically any two characters who spend more than a couple minutes on screen together.

But the idea that Sauron would try to seduce Galadriel isn't a terrible one. "...enemies closer" and all that.