1. #3701
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    12,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Romanthony View Post
    I can almost 99% say its gonna be Gandalf.

    Also I kinda hate, how Amazons Responce to negative responces.

    "Your racist you dont like black Dwarves"
    "Your sexist, You dont like Galaderial being a powerful warrior"
    "Your Homophoic, you dont like Elrdond being gay"

    Like what if a show is bad, because its bad? I swear sometimes they just hire these actors, so they can use them as a shield "Oh you dont like our show must be racist"
    Well if the show is bad for being bad its not going to fit those things you mentioned is it? No one is going to call you any of those things if you say the pacing is bad or the scenes with Galadriel are not that interesting. Or that it doesn't feel very Tolkien that the show feels off or the acting is bad in places. :P

    But if you are going around saying 'I don't want black dwarfs or elves in my middle earth', and that's your only cause of concern and that makes up the main point or your argument, then yea, I can see that you may have some underlining issues you may need to get checked out on. A black elf and a black dwarf doesn't a bad film make. and you can have those concerns, I wont call you racist for that, but when its your main concern and your only concern, then we have issues. Becuase I think the actress who played Princess Disa did an Amazing job. but the actress who played Galadriel wasnt that great. am I sexist that I liked one and not the other. Its all about context,. You are allowed to not like certain things, its your approach to it that matters. :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-09-04 at 11:09 AM.
    "People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" - Wynne ( Dragon Age: Origins.)

  2. #3702
    Scarab Lord Ihavewaffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    The spice must flow!
    Posts
    4,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Romanthony View Post
    I can almost 99% say its gonna be Gandalf.

    Also I kinda hate, how Amazons Responce to negative responces.

    "Your racist you dont like black Dwarves"
    "Your sexist, You dont like Galaderial being a powerful warrior"
    "Your Homophoic, you dont like Elrdond being gay"

    Like what if a show is bad, because its bad? I swear sometimes they just hire these actors, so they can use them as a shield "Oh you dont like our show must be racist"
    Elrond is that? I didn't notice, still odd defense on amazon's part seeing how effiminate elves are sometimes in lotr n the hobbit. I guess they can't admit their version of elrond was bad n has nothing to do with his leanings..
    If he had apoeared gay in the movies, wouldn't have changed his performance, which is lacking in the show..

    And Gandalf was played by a gay actor ffs, i guess amszon are scared cuz they know their show sucks...

  3. #3703
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Well if the show is bad for being bad its not going to fit those things you mentioned is it? No one is going to call you any of those things if you say the pacing is bad or the scenes with Galadriel are not that interesting. Or that it doesn't feel very Tolkien that the show feels off or the acting is bad in places. :P

    But if you are going around saying 'I don't want black dwarfs or elves in my middle earth', and that's your only cause of concern and that makes up the main point or your argument, then yea, I can see that you may have some underlining issues you may need to get checked out on. A black elf and a black dwarf doesn't a bad film make. and you can have those concerns, I wont call you racist for that, but when its your main concern and your only concern, then we have issues. Becuase I think the actress who played Princess Disa did an Amazing job. but the actress who played Galadriel wasnt that great. am I sexist that I liked one and not the other. Its all about context,. You are allowed to not like certain things, its your approach to it that matters. :P
    yea I agree there, Whats wrong with a show being bad because... Well its bad?
    Does a black dwarf Effect the pacing issue? No
    Does a black elf, effect the terrible writing? No

    and yea i heard that Galadriel is very Dull in the show. That they have made her Super massive OP with Zero flaws, or conlicts a perfect character which is boring to watch.,

  4. #3704
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    12,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Romanthony View Post
    yea I agree there, Whats wrong with a show being bad because... Well its bad?
    Does a black dwarf Effect the pacing issue? No
    Does a black elf, effect the terrible writing? No

    and yea i heard that Galadriel is very Dull in the show. That they have made her Super massive OP with Zero flaws, or conlicts a perfect character which is boring to watch.,
    She isn't OP, except for the bringing down the troll on her own thing, especially seeing the rest of her team couldn't which made me think why bother bring a team in. who knows.

    Her acting is more my issue. I am not even sure its her fault, at times she reminds me of the Peter Jacksons Galadriel, there are even camera shots that give me that, and other times she looks lost, it might be the directing, cos a lot of the time she just looks like she is trying to give an emotion that she cannot carry. Her moments with Elrond I really liked, but that first opening with her in the snow with her party she comes across really whiney. Then there are other time she reminds me of Winona Ryder's character from Alien: Resurrection (sorry for bring up that horrid memory)
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-09-04 at 11:40 AM.
    "People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" - Wynne ( Dragon Age: Origins.)

  5. #3705
    Quote Originally Posted by Romanthony View Post
    and yea i heard that Galadriel is very Dull in the show. That they have made her Super massive OP with Zero flaws, or conlicts a perfect character which is boring to watch.,
    lol... You heard that from who?

    They basically tried to ship her off to Valinor because she's too much of a pain in the ass to keep around and was going to get herself and others killed if she continued down the path she was on. But someone told you she's "OP, perfect, with zero flaws" because what...she killed a troll? Please. This (in addition to the "I don't want to see black people in my pop culture products") is the sort of shit that gets """criticism""" ignored. Not because a person simply doesn't like the show.

  6. #3706
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Well if the show is bad for being bad its not going to fit those things you mentioned is it? No one is going to call you any of those things if you say the pacing is bad or the scenes with Galadriel are not that interesting. Or that it doesn't feel very Tolkien that the show feels off or the acting is bad in places. :P

    But if you are going around saying 'I don't want black dwarfs or elves in my middle earth', and that's your only cause of concern and that makes up the main point or your argument, then yea, I can see that you may have some underlining issues you may need to get checked out on. A black elf and a black dwarf doesn't a bad film make. and you can have those concerns, I wont call you racist for that, but when its your main concern and your only concern, then we have issues. Becuase I think the actress who played Princess Disa did an Amazing job. but the actress who played Galadriel wasnt that great. am I sexist that I liked one and not the other. Its all about context,. You are allowed to not like certain things, its your approach to it that matters. :P
    The one with underlying issues here is you. That is all you guys can do is swing the racism bat anytime someone has a legitimate concern because you can't come up with any kind of meaningful debate or rebuttal or argument. What is worse is you guys are so petty and smug in your deliveries of them as well.

    No it is not racist to be against black dwarves or elves in a Tolkiens universe. Tolkien created his universe because medieval britain/europe lacked a significant fantasy world and he based it on MEDEIVAL britain europe. Where in the historical documents do you seem groups of black people roaming around integrated into society in medieval europe/britain? I'll wait.

    No I won't actually cause they never did. Africa has a HUGE wealth of their own mythological and supernatural entities, deities, being and so on and so on. Someone could do a lot with it. And you best believe, if someone made a mythological world based on african culture and there was a white zulu warrior or something, and someone had a problem with it, id be right behind them saying they have a legitimate concern and it should not be. There should not be black dwarves or black elves, just like there should not be white zulu warriors or a white mythological person in africa in medieval time. Stop using the racism/sexism/bigotry blah blah blah crap, you are only projecting.

  7. #3707
    Scarab Lord Ihavewaffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    The spice must flow!
    Posts
    4,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Romanthony View Post
    Does a black dwarf Effect the pacing issue? No
    Does a black elf, effect the terrible writing? No
    Pacing is effected if something takes you out of the movie, unless u have problems with your eyes n don't realize this is supposed to be based on European mythology...then its ignorance if you are unaffected. And if its that, then u have no standards to judge anything, u are just basically a woke mushroom that will absorb anything thrown at u..

  8. #3708
    too much effort is placed into believing something is more of a problem than it actually is. the idiom is mountains out of mole hills.

  9. #3709
    Quote Originally Posted by Thentix21 View Post
    No it is not racist to be against black dwarves or elves in a Tolkiens universe. Tolkien created his universe because medieval britain/europe lacked a significant fantasy world and he based it on MEDEIVAL britain europe. Where in the historical documents do you seem groups of black people roaming around integrated into society in medieval europe/britain? I'll wait.
    Until evidence is presented to the contrary, I prefer to believe that Tolkien wasn't as big a piece of shit as the people making a big deal out of someone's skin color seem to think he was.

  10. #3710
    Quote Originally Posted by Sialina View Post
    That would be perfectly fine, but elves were all created fair skinned and starbound, the dwarves could potentially be read to have more variation, but again it would be more interesting and cooler to simply have a grouping of darker dwarves, with their own distinct culture, architecture and quirks. If they took the time to set them up properly, it could be very cool! Most people are not opposed to differing skintones, they think it's strange that out of 2000 dwarves living rather isolated under ground for generations, that they would be different skin colors from each other.

    Infracted.
    Why was this post infracted when the person she is responding to wasn't? Are the mods at MMO Champion sexist and racist? You infracted an asian female when the white male she was responding to said way worse things about her. Does MMO Champion support sexism and racism?


    As to the show, there needs to be some logical consistency to how you make changes. If a Hobbit that has Asian features came into the shire and married and had children that then looked like the biological offspring of their parents, that gives consistency. It opens up the question of "are there communities of asian looking hobbits? Can we see them and see what stories they have?"

    Just throwing someone randomly in that doesn't have any logical consistency breaks immersion and makes your brain go "oh I'm watching a message from the writers, not a story".

    It would be like if one of the dwarves was 6'5" and they never said anything about it.

  11. #3711
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'm hoping it's one of the the other wizards.
    Hmm... might be Radagast, the brown wizard. He was manipulating those trees...

  12. #3712
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Didn't Elrond marry Galadriel's daughter? I thought she be much older compared to him.
    The actor playing Galadriel now is older than the one playing Elrond. Compare that to LotR where Cate Blanchett is 9 years younger than Hugo Weaving. Obviously for creatures that live such long life spans it’s not easy showing that on screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sialina View Post
    I'm espousing ethnic segregation? How about you never talk to me again? My husband is not the same ethnicity as me. Stop your disgusting mansplaining, you make me sick.
    Spare me your fake outrage. I addressed exactly what you said was needed to make a fantasy world “grounded”. Your opinion comes from ignorance and prejudice. And of course all you could must up was a deflection.

  13. #3713
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Hmm... might be Radagast, the brown wizard. He was manipulating those trees...
    It can't be any of the wizards that we know about, unless the show is going to take massive dump on the LotR story.

  14. #3714
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    It can't be any of the wizards that we know about, unless the show is going to take massive dump on the LotR story.
    It already does? Anything is possible atm.

  15. #3715
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    13,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    They are getting treated differently because one was review bombed. Its not that people dislike it is the issue. Wheel of Time was disliked but wasnt review bombed. I can assume the sites problem saw a mass influx of traffic to their sites coming to downvote. I don't get the feeling Wheel of Time saw that much influx when people were upset about that show who's complaints were very similar I may add :P
    Smaller IP, not as popular. And I think most WoT fans saw the writing on the wall when the cast was announced and Elayne was blatantly omitted from the first season.

  16. #3716
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    12,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Hmm... might be Radagast, the brown wizard. He was manipulating those trees...
    I am doubting its any. But it depends on how much they are going to change. Radagast arrived with Sauron, Gandalf arrived on his own, but I think they all arrived to middle earth by boat. I don't remember anythign about comets. :P

    could be an entirely new Ainur :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Smaller IP, not as popular. And I think most WoT fans saw the writing on the wall when the cast was announced and Elayne was blatantly omitted from the first season.
    Was the cast a big complaint? I thought the cast was actually one of the less issues about the show. Everything else around it sucked lol. With that said, there were a few casting choices that kind of irked me. But that's just my expectations verses the reality :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-09-04 at 12:59 PM.
    "People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" - Wynne ( Dragon Age: Origins.)

  17. #3717
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I can tell you as the moderator of this subforum, when the first stills came out of House of the Dragon and there were black people in it, there was certainly a whole bunch of furor from posters just like you.

    It was all based on nothing, btw.
    Interesting. I didn't know the moderators of the forum where allowed to post like this and show their preference.

    As a person from the community you are trying to protect, we don't need your protection.

    As far as HoD, there may have been comments about it, but you'll notice they all stopped. Why is that? Why aren't people upset about that show vs this one? Could it be that HBO did its diversity well and didn't sacrifice their story for it? That they focused on making a good show with a good story first?


    This does explain a lot about this forum though.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Smaller IP, not as popular. And I think most WoT fans saw the writing on the wall when the cast was announced and Elayne was blatantly omitted from the first season.
    There were so, so many things on that wall.

  18. #3718
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    It already does? Anything is possible atm.
    I suppose so, lol. But the three wizards we know about didn't come to Middle Earth until well into the Third Age. The two Blue Wizards may have arrived in the Second Age, but there's only one of this guy and there's not much blue about him yet.

  19. #3719
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    13,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I am doubting its any. But it depends on how much they are going to change. Radagast arrived with Sauron, Gandalf arrived on his own, but I think they all arrived to middle earth by boat. I don't remember anythign about comets. :P

    could be an entirely new Ainur :P



    Was the cast a big complaint? I thought the cast was actually one of the few issues about the show. Everything else around it sucked lol. With that said, there were a few casting choices that kind of irked me. But that's just my expectations verses the reality :P
    Well it got out early who was going to be in the first season and Elayne was clearly omitted. So it was clear from the get go that they were going to intentionally omit one of Rand's love interests from the get go. The main cast is generally OK but I'm not sure why they cast a black dude to play Padan Fain, only to neuter his entire story arc alongside Mat's, as it doesn't really give him an opportunity to show his chops and that story is a pivotal part of Mat's development as a character.

  20. #3720
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    They are getting treated differently because one was review bombed. Its not that people dislike it is the issue. Wheel of Time was disliked but wasnt review bombed. I can assume the sites problem saw a mass influx of traffic to their sites coming to downvote. I don't get the feeling Wheel of Time saw that much influx when people were upset about that show who's complaints were very similar I may add :P
    Game of Thrones is WAAAAAAY more popular than LOTR. There is a reason Amazon wanted "their own Game of Thrones".

    HoD should be getting review bombed (if that is what is actually happening) way more than LOTR if what you're implying is true, but it isn't.

    WoT was protected pretty hard too by media and review sites, it simply didn't get as much press.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •