1. #3761
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    What I said was stop trying to lecture people about the morality of not watching a dam TV show.


    To put it in context, this series has gotten down voted since the first trailer came out.
    And that is consistent across all Amazon channels around the world.
    So the show comes out and then there are a lot of negative reviews.
    That tells you that a lot of people are not interested in or liking this show.
    To argue that this is simply a bunch of haters from America is denying the obvious.
    And you trying to lecture people about why they should like it or make character judgements if they don't doesn't make it better.
    So please stop replying to me with this line of thinking.
    Why are you spending so much of your life worrying about what other people like or don't like?
    What on Earth are you babbling about... you make an awful lot of assumptions, and manage to create arguments people haven't made out of thin air.

    Literally all I said to you was to just move on from something you are clearly not watching/going to watch, based on reviews that are clearly not objective. Yet you got all this from that. Yikes.

    Trust me, I don't spend my life worrying about people like you and what you do or do not like.

  2. #3762
    Amazon is trying to get cute with its inclusion of global viewership. Nice try. What are you, Apple Jr.? LMAO

  3. #3763
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    What on Earth are you babbling about... you make an awful lot of assumptions, and manage to create arguments people haven't made out of thin air.

    Literally all I said to you was to just move on from something you are clearly not watching/going to watch, based on reviews that are clearly not objective. Yet you got all this from that. Yikes.

    Trust me, I don't spend my life worrying about people like you and what you do or do not like.
    My bad, I just thought you came flying into this thread pretending to be vanquishing 'haters' and 'racist trolls' without knowing me or anything about me.

    How preposterous is that?

  4. #3764
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Amazon is trying to get cute with its inclusion of global viewership. Nice try. What are you, Apple Jr.? LMAO
    Is that where the 25 million viewers number comes from?

  5. #3765
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Is that where the 25 million viewers number comes from?
    Yeah

    "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power‘s premiere episodes attracted more than 25 million global viewers on its first day of release, Amazon announced Saturday."

    https://tvline.com/2022/09/03/rings-...sode-1-amazon/

  6. #3766
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
    Yeah

    "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power‘s premiere episodes attracted more than 25 million global viewers on its first day of release, Amazon announced Saturday."

    https://tvline.com/2022/09/03/rings-...sode-1-amazon/
    Nice. Very solid number, tbh. At least they remember more than just the US exists for these figures lol

    Of course, as soon as episode 3 drops even one below that, it'll totally mean the series is bad, just as predicted

  7. #3767
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Is that where the 25 million viewers number comes from?
    Yes. Amazon self-reported the number to Variety.

    Global viewership has never meant a damn thing. You have to win the US market. This was a counter-move by Amazon after HOTD had their second episode eclipse the first and the total views went past 25m.

  8. #3768
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yes. Amazon self-reported the number to Variety.

    Global viewership has never meant a damn thing. You have to win the US market. This was a counter-move by Amazon after HOTD had their second episode eclipse the first and the total views went past 25m.
    Ignoring the "only the US counts" bit, that's a great number.

    Is there a breakdown of regions at all?

  9. #3769
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Ignoring the "only the US counts" bit, that's a great number.

    Is there a breakdown of regions at all?
    Not till next week. This is Amazon self-reporting. There are no fast nationals for streaming and VOD.

    Nobody records non-US viewership except the companies themselves. Because it is meaningless. The entertainment industry largely only cares about the US market.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-09-04 at 05:53 PM.

  10. #3770
    Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post
    Member when Eowyn snuck into the army to fight among her kin and then ended up killing the Witch King with the help of Merry? I member.

    The thing about you bigots and racists that can't accept women and black people in this world is that you are really missing one of the main themes of Tolkien's work: diversity and inclusion. The great victories in Middle Earth happened when Men, Elves, Dwarves and Hobbits come together. Look at The Fellowship! Tolkien was woke AF and you guys miss it because of some hang up about women and people of color. Sad really, but in this case even stranger if you claim to be a fan of Tolkien and miss this obvious theme of his works.
    You mean what was literally in the book not changed from Tolkien's work? Why do you infantalize women and people of color as though they need the great white male saviors to give them work?

  11. #3771
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    22,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    LOTR fans, especially Tolkien purists, aren't vapid and mindless drones like MCU fans. The average Tolkien fan is way smarter and more in tune with what is going on with the IP than any other. We've also seen this deflection playbook a dozen times already with terrible adaptations in the last several years. It didn't work for Ghostbusters 2016, it didn't work for Netflix (TWICE IN THE LAST YEAR!) and it hasn't worked for Amazon either. People aren't stupid and we see what is going on.
    Is this the "way smarter and more in tune with what is going on with the IP" LoTR fan or Tolkien purist on display?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Except that doesn't actually happen in the books.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  12. #3772
    Just finished the first two episodes. I'm hooked but I have one issue. That guy that fell from the sky is probably a wizard but no wizard stepped foot onto middle earth till the third age. I thought it might have been Sauron in disguise tbh. Condensing the timeline makes sense for tv though.

  13. #3773
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It's weird, because you were agreeing and posting the same line of reasoning yesterday with that same poster, who went full mask off this morning and called shows like this a "full race and culture war." I've been a moderator of this subforum for a decade now, which is fucking insane, and it's exhausting as these posters cycle in and out, year after year, making the same complaints, year after year. I myself am a brown man who grew up in America, and all my pop culture touchstones have been white figures. Including white people "forced" into the roles of brown men and other roles they didn't belong. Hell, a white Russian man played the King of Siam in the King and I. And I love the King and I. The point is that it shouldn't be a big deal - except now that it's the reverse, it is a big deal, largely to white people. Except......it's been happening a long time, including the aforementioned "The Wiz," which came out in 1978, and the backlash to it has really only started in the past 10 years...as a political junkie as well, the dovetailing with the Tea Party's racism and xenophobia is unable to be ignored. It's all culture war bullshit, and it's been deliberately stoked by the likes of Steve Bannon and his ilk.

    FWIW, I haven't seen this show yet. I have no opinions of it as to its quality. What I do know is that a black dwarf or a black elf doesn't automatically lower its quality.
    The thing is those changes are used as a shield for bad writing. When race bending is done it's often a sign to be wary because it means other parts of the product are substandard and it's being used as a shield against criticism. I get just as annoyed when it happens to characters of other races than white btw All American Death Note comes to mind.

  14. #3774
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,207
    I don't want to get tarred and feathered for this but, for all this talk of “race changing” or “race bending” you guys do know that elves aren’t real?
    /s

  15. #3775
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    You mean what was literally in the book not changed from Tolkien's work? Why do you infantalize women and people of color as though they need the great white male saviors to give them work?
    What are you babbling about? You seem triggered by diversity.

  16. #3776
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I don't want to get tarred and feathered for this but, for all this talk of “race changing” or “race bending” you guys do know that elves aren’t real?
    How dare you! Don't you know the literary God know as John Ronald Reuel Tolkien wrote about them and that makes them real, because everything he wrote was meant to be historical, and because he so totally meant it that way, that makes it reality?!

  17. #3777
    Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post
    What are you babbling about? You seem triggered by diversity.
    You seem triggered by the idea of being called out on your racist bullshit. It would also be shoehorning to shove white people into Anansi Myths. Which is actually something that should be made into a tv series because it would fit perfectly and hasn't been done 5 billion times unlike a bunch of the current shows.

  18. #3778
    Moderator Rozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,508
    So far I heard the show looks amazing, most acting is either decent to good, the lore consistency is midtier, and there isn't anything bad besides mouth foaming culture war shit or finding it boring. Which probably means it's an alright show that will either bore you or tickle your interest. I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

    Sounds like it'll be better than The Witcher S2 at the very least.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

  19. #3779
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    The thing is those changes are used as a shield for bad writing. When race bending is done it's often a sign to be wary because it means other parts of the product are substandard and it's being used as a shield against criticism. I get just as annoyed when it happens to characters of other races than white btw All American Death Note comes to mind.
    Please be specific. Just changing a character's race is NOT a sign that the writing is bad or that they are attempting to deflect criticism. There are plenty of race changes (or sex changes) that result in as good, if not better, characters. Sam Jackson still the best Nick Fury.

    The SIGN that has shown up over the last 6-7 years, over and over again, is when there are changes like that and the people in charge of the product start to promote it mainly BECAUSE of those changes.

    There is a huge difference between good products that have diversity because the it happened naturally, and bad products that look for diversity to shield them from criticism. Both of them may end up with diversity of one form or another, but the good ones don't feel the need to brag about it.

    Good products never have to tout their diversity to guilt you into seeing them. Bad products basically fetishize diversity and treat it like a shield so that they aren't required to ever answer for their poor product.


    Have you ever heard some version of the phrase "if you have it, you don't have to tell everyone about it, they know" ? It applies to alot.

  20. #3780
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    How dare you! Don't you know the literary God know as John Ronald Reuel Tolkien wrote about them and that makes them real, because everything he wrote was meant to be historical, and because he so totally meant it that way, that makes it reality?!
    Directly changing the tragedy of Tar-Míriel to avoid "triggering" people is fucking idiotic and hurts showing the decay of the Numenorean royal line

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •