Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Getting sent to Aman is not "exile." If you can't grasp something so fundamental to the setting then it is really hard taking you seriously.
    It is being sent away forever not to return to Middle Earth. Ever. What part of that do you not agree with?

If her flaws weren't part of the story then she would have been able to persuade Gil-galad and Elrond how right and necessary her actions were. They would have been on-side with her plans instead of thinking she had to return home to find peace.
    What flaws did they actually support with the writing of the show? You keep saying this but these flaws aren't actually shown and it is a complete contradiction. If she is a badass that isn't a flaw. If she is right about Sauron, that isn't a flaw either. So what flaws are you talking about?

And the show explicitly states that it is a fantastic reward through Elrond gushing about how wonderful he thinks it will be, Galadriel describing her longing to return and the rapturous looks on the other soldiers. Galadriel isn't escaping exile when she jumps ship, she is giving up her hearts desire through a sense of duty.
    They showed that as them getting rid of her for being a pest in the dialog that takes place after. It isn't a reward and this is why she swims away towards Halbrand. The show itself is not showing it as a reward because if it was she wouldn't be shown swimming away from it. It completely shows that she is dedicated to her duty to the point that she would turn away from eternal rest and peace to go back and fight Sauron. Which she shouldn't have to do because the Elves should already be believing and trusting her insight. That is the contradiction. All of that was totally and completely unnecessary.

And that could have been shown in any number of ways, but they chose a way that deliberately mirrors one of the most significant choices Galadriel made in her life.

Also it isn't a lack of respect from the other Elves, more concern that she is on a self-destructive path that could drag others with her.
    No it is not a reflection of anything in Tolkien because when she was exiled from Valinor she wanted to rule her own kingdoms and none of the Elves stopped her from doing that. They did not disrespect her or second guess her judgement. When she said that she sensed Sauron stirring, they didn't second guess her, try to send her to Valinor or send her on a quest to prove it either. They simply acted on it because she was one of the oldest, most wisest and respected of the Noldor. This series in no way shape or form reflects any of that.

I watched episode 1, I can say the production values were incredible, the way they designed the world really feels like Middle Earth, and their portrayal of the hobbits was absolutely spot on.

Like many others I didn't like the drama around Galadriel, just seems absolutely pointless to have this whole rebel arc to her, and for what? Outside that I quite like it: It feels like they put in a lot of effort and care into what they did.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Watched two episodes, and it made me think of the last game of thrones season. Environment and sets looks gorgeous but the dialogue and story is very cringe and at some times the dumbest shit you couldn't even make up yourself.

Not sure what the series will shape up into but my hopes are low.

Not sure what they thought when designing their elf's. Only that elf that went down the orc hole and Galadriel looks even remotely athletic. The rest looks off, like when you saw Matt Damon in the Thor movies pretending to be Loki in that theater play scene, it looks intentionally comical and insulting to the character.

Did someone forget to make them look agile and graceful? Have the producers forgotten that a thing called makeup exist?

Do they think Orlando Bloom played Legolas without makeup!?!?
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It's funny, I've been hearing this (or versions of it) a lot, and it's kind of weird that people are missing the real point.

If Tolkien wrote this way today, he probably would be called a bigot at least; and probably rightly so.

BUUUUUT

If Tolkien was a contemporary author, he also, you know, WOULDN'T WRITE NOW LIKE HE DID THEN.

You can't just transplant history without observing context. Aristotle didn't speak out against slavery, and thought of it as a normal way of life. Does that mean he'd still be a happy slave owner in the present day? NO. His entire thinking would be radically different if he had been born in the 20th century instead of the -4th century, and to pretend otherwise is poisoning the well for that particular argument from the start.

You can't look at a book written 70 years ago and evaluate it by today's standards. That's ridiculous at the best of times, and downright ludicrous when it's fiction.
    No he would not be called a bigot wtf are you on? There are plenty of fantasy series that are primarily white or primarily black and nobody except idiots calls those authors bigots.

Hell most of the books I'm currently reading are 99% Chinese and nobody calls that bigoted.

Im just watching some reviews about it, and one contains a interview with the show runners who actually said "It was hard work building a world from NOTHING" They actually said that?

yes hard to build a world from nothing

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...0&resize=980:*

Just ignore 12 books of source material

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado82 View Post
    I haven't watched it yet because the trailers didn't sell me on it. it doesn't seem like it's Tolkien's story, it's just a random YA fantasy set in Tolkien's world.

And when I saw even Grace Randolph, who I generally don't put a lot of weight on her reviews, call Galadriel both a Mary Sue and a Karen wrapped into one package, that cemented my choice.

I'm not interested in Twitter's version of Tolkien's work. They would be busy calling him a fascist if he were alive today, rather than trying to profit off of his work.
    There is no possible way to call Galadriel a Mary Sue in this unless you just don’t know what Mary Sue actually means even in the looses sense. The first two episodes have her failing almost every thing she does other then a single fight with a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I agree that the portrayal isn't great, and the actress in particular has apparently not understood the character (or was not made to understand it by directors/producers, which they should have taken care to). But that's the implementation of a character that, at least in principle, is sound. The details aren't good. But the direction is.

So far, anyway. Could well be that she spirals into absurdity completely two more episodes in. We don't know yet.
    The thing is, Clark is not a natural fit for the role, even many people who liked some parts of the series have offered very limited praise for her portrayal in particular. Perhaps she gets better in the next 2-3 episodes, and we should give her the benefit of the doubt. But the thing is, the premise of a protagonist is supposed to instantly impress most people, fans old and new alike, and I don't think this was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I am not even sure its fair for me to say she is a good Galadriel, she has moments but I think that's more down to the stuff going on around her, and camera shots. Also it may be my more familiarity with the movies over the books, but she looks way too human. Personally I would have been totally fine if the role of Galadriel wasnt even Galadriel but an entirely new character.

and as much as I think the show so far is... fine... I honest feel they should have went the Shadow of Mordor route and just bring us new characters in a second age setting with maybe some cameos thrown in.

You assume I 'loved' the show. That's cute. I got lots of complaints about the show, I thought the show was decent at best. I Just think most of the complaints about the show are unwarranted and dumb. I am yet to be wowed. By the end of the season I could hate the show, who knows. The biggest praise I have for the show is the musical score and the costume design for the orcs

This forum tends to be very hyperbolic, like the show can either only be good or bad and never in-between. Thankfully I am the in-between. (which feels like the Last Jedi all over again ugh)
    Even if we try to ignore her general acting, she is not really complex or fleshed out as a character. I needed to SEE what this character's real background was like, for example, her relationship with Finrod outside of talking about toy boats and being mocked by other Elf children. She seems incredibly flat and unenergetic with no real sophisticated character development, she wanted to kill Sauron because her brother was killed off-screen...okay, so does thousands of other Elves who lost family members. She just seems like a carbon copy of a random female Game of Thrones character that was taken and traded to the Tolkien franchise. What makes Galadriel special or unique? What makes her a real hero? What illustrates her deepest strengths and flaws as an individual? Why are we supposed to be rooting for her triumphs and achievements?

It's like this new Galadriel is almost a female human, but at the same time, they didn't really humanize her enough, so either way, it does not quite work. I needed to see her in-depth and profound personal struggles and silent failings growing up, as such as whether she fought alongside Finrod, and a scene actually crying and mourning his death at a funeral, perhaps something involving her parents and other family members, and exactly HOW she became this Commander, and HOW she became friends with Elrond and other Elves. For example, perhaps they should have shown Finrod training young Galadriel rather than the two of them sitting besides a stream talking about something entirely irrelevant.

The first 2 episodes seem incredibly hastily rushed and compacted in a way that the Fellowship of the Ring did not seem to feel, the entire pacing and plot seemed flawed from the beginning, emphasizing things that do not very much matter and choosing to actively jump or gloss over things that really do.
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2022-09-06 at 07:00 PM.
    "Always you speak. Never do you listen! You ignore the lessons of Pandaria! You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

I don't understand the complaint about Clark's acting. It's great, in fact the acting in general is quite good. If you don't like the direction of the character, that's one thing, but don't disparage the actress for doing a good job with what she's given.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    I don't understand the complaint about Clark's acting. It's great, in fact the acting in general is quite good. If you don't like the direction of the character, that's one thing, but don't disparage the actress for doing a good job with what she's given.
    I’ve been absolutely loving her acting, her scene with Elrond was really a stand out with her facial expressions really selling that she’s pissed but still sticks to the calm elf demeanou.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggresive-Girl View Post
    Censorship and manipulation nothing to do with woke stuff.

Officially Amazon Reviews on hold for 72 Hours
    -> still no reviews possible or shown
    -> reviewing „Reviews“ now (selected reviews only)
    -> approved opinions only
    -> you praise their ideology „review will be shown“

Imdb
    ->all written reviews below 6 stars got deleted
    ->rating is rising every day
    -> 10/10 is the most choosed rating ()

Rottentomatoes
    ->can’t rate the series
    -> can’t rate? Still growing rating every day
    -> started around 33% now nearly 40%
    -> erasing low rating’s
    Even Elon Musk doesnt like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArminVanburkek View Post
    Even Elon Musk doesnt like it.
    Most likely that's just Musk trolling Bezos, they do that to each other. I wouldn't put any stock in it even if you consider Musk's opinion on anything to be worth anything.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    Most likely that's just Musk trolling Bezos, they do that to each other. I wouldn't put any stock in it even if you consider Musk's opinion on anything to be worth anything.
    Ahh yea he might be biased then.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggresive-Girl View Post
    snip
    Ahh the ban evader is back again.
    Better put him on ignore folks, before he floods the forums again with annoying gifs.
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    sorry about late reply; I drink heavily in the mornings.

No you are allowed to have a different opinion. Other people are allowed to dispute it.
    You're not allowed to flood the forums screeching WoKe N dIvErSiTy iz bad or something else in repetitive form. Especially after there was a mod warning about the topic you kept repeating.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    No you are allowed to have a different opinion. Other people are allowed to dispute it.
    You're not allowed to flood the forums screeching WoKe N dIvErSiTy iz bad or something else in repetitive form. Especially after there was a mod warning about the topic you kept repeating.
    Would be better if people just didn't entertain his posts. Report it and don't answer.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Pro-tip: next time you make a ban evading account, don't get a similar name and change your very distinctive typing style.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Would be better if people just didn't entertain his posts. Report it and don't answer.
    You're right. I did report it but eschatological is only human and can't be online 24 hours a day.

- - - Updated - - -

Nvm faster then his shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Pro-tip: next time you make a ban evading account, don't get a similar name and change your very distinctive typing style.

- - - Updated - - -

You're right. I did report it but eschatological is only human and can't be online 24 hours a day.
    Sure, but just saying that replying to it and even giving him tips is kind of counter productive since trolls keep going because of replies.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Sure, but just saying that replying to it and even giving him tips is kind of counter productive since trolls keep going because of replies.
    I know, I'm at fault here. Will try to refrain from reacting next time.

Shame this isn’t on Netflix. I’m kinda curious if it’s any good. I watched original trilogy countless times. Hehe
    Will of the First Ones is not to be questioned!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    Shame this isn’t on Netflix. I’m kinda curious if it’s any good. I watched original trilogy countless times. Hehe
    Yea netflix made even witcher series spectacular.