Biggest problem, beyond the awful choreography, is indeed the other elfs being useless.

No idea how someone could look at the scene and think it's good enough to be released.
    Feels like they tried to fix it in edit. Hence the awkward cuts that ruins the flow.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    That the case isn't? the troll should be a bitch compared to 7-8-9 elves, especially at that age, especially knowing they were an elite squad sent to hunt Sauron, buut they were awful.

Yeah, they had to make her kill something to show her capability, the problem is not what happened, is how it happened, the writers could not make a situation that show that without making everyone else fucking lame.

Same way they can't write her to be intelligent, they had to make everyone else a dumbass, and that is not Galadriel fault, she is supposed to be stronger and wiser than the average elf, it's the writer's fault for not being able to write her like that
    Bad writing aside;
    Not all elves are all powerful. This is a bit of an LotR issue (books and movies) because the main Elf we are exposed to is Legolas and he is exceptional.
    In Tolkien lore, Galadriel is many levels above Legolas, but it doesn't mean the elves she is with would be as well. They gave no indication that the troop she was with were anything more than just regular elves.
    As you said though its more of a writing issue, it's fair that Galadriel could solo a troll, it took most of the fellowship to down their troll, but these elves aren't at the same ability level as Legolas, Gimli, Aragon, and Boromir. It's more a problem of portraying Galadriel better vs just making everyone else look stupid. At least they survived getting absolutely pummeled.

1+ Year Old Account
    I loved the part where Sauron said "It's saurin' time!".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    See, if that's the case, then her troops are even shittier than a pussy-bitch, and it goes to question why the fuck she even needs them in the first place.

By the show's own logic, let em go the fuck home cuz Galadriel has been shown to be the only capable character of the bunch. She suffers no signs of fatigue, she's able to sherlock her way into an enemy fortress, she single-handedly takes down a pussy-bitch troll...

I mean, what is the point of her even going back with her group? By the end of the episode she ends abandoning them and swimming back to Middle Earth alone anyways. She's going to look for Sauron on her own, with or without the help of her people. We literally spend an entire episode circling back to her character being exactly the way she was at the beginning, this time not being held back by her company.
    So maybe her troops are shitty. Maybe she doesn't need them. Maybe it's you who is silly for thinking they're anything more than a band of -normal- elves. Not all elves are superheroes - that's why they literally have superhero/mythical figures within their culture that regular/average elves are in awe of. Tolkien's works don't tend to deal much with the average elves, it's mostly notable lore characters who are all much more powerful. There are obviously much more normal elves, and Galadriel's prowess sets her apart from them.

Maybe she wants to go back with her group because she likes them as people (elves), not because of their martial prowess. You know, the way that a normal person wouldn't just abandon their friends because they're not as strong as they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Bad writing aside;
    Not all elves are all powerful. This is a bit of an LotR issue (books and movies) because the main Elf we are exposed to is Legolas and he is exceptional.
    In Tolkien lore, Galadriel is many levels above Legolas, but it doesn't mean the elves she is with would be as well. They gave no indication that the troop she was with were anything more than just regular elves.
    As you said though its more of a writing issue, it's fair that Galadriel could solo a troll, it took most of the fellowship to down their troll, but these elves aren't at the same ability level as Legolas, Gimli, Aragon, and Boromir. It's more a problem of portraying Galadriel better vs just making everyone else look stupid. At least they survived getting absolutely pummeled.
    This. The writing may be bad, but the elves we typically see in Tolkien's writing and in the adaptations are heroic figures - not the average elf.

It's movie-only, but look at Haldir's elves at Helm's Deep - there are some of them who die to the very first Uruk that attacks them. They're just soldiers, they're not all heroes. Shit, even super powerful and heroic figures in canonical Tolkien die to weak shit, like Isildur being shot by some random orc archers while wading out of the Anduin.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2022-09-07 at 07:31 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    GoT = skyrim as a soap opera is my favourite take ^^
    HA SAME!

And not /that/ far off really - except I can't think of a single actual "soap opera" written half as well or with half-as-interesting characters. So I'd say "think of the best written soap opera you could ever see... in Skyrim.." =D

But as someone who refuses to go back and watch Breaking Bad, I also won't slight anyone who's just not interested in "catching up" with a lapsed tv show, no matter how 'good' it may be. (And I love Better Call Saul so go figure my logic out on that one .) Its only to do with the fact its an expired show and I'm not all into going back and watching 'old shows' - I've got enough to watch already.

But I will say in GoT's defense - its got way stronger writing than any actual soap opera. So if you DO like Fantasy series, and looking for something to watch, it IS one of the few quality options out there, in ALL of television. (Because tv doesn't have very many fantasy genre shows, and even less that are well done.)
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    So maybe her troops are shitty. Maybe she doesn't need them. Maybe it's you who is silly for thinking they're anything more than a band of -normal- elves.
    But that's actually my point. The story literally outlines that they're nothing more than normal Elves, and for an unexplained reason Galadriel is established as being superior to them all for reasons unknown. My argument was that even if you wanted to assume they were anything but a band of normal Elves, there isn't anything in the show to support it. There has been literally no time spent to establish Galadriel as a competent fighter who is well beyond the skill level of her troops.

There are obviously much more normal elves, and Galadriel's prowess sets her apart from them.
    Sure, no one's contesting that. My point is they never established this skill gap prior to the fight with the snow troll. This undermines any sensible narrative reason for her to even need a company of Elves given that the show establishes them being nothing more than an obstacle and nuisance to her. This is even reinforced by the fact she literally goes solo by the end of the episode.

Maybe she wants to go back with her group because she likes them as people (elves), not because of their martial prowess. You know, the way that a normal person wouldn't just abandon their friends because they're not as strong as they are.
    Then that would be assuming something not shown in the narrative, and that's a big fucking fail if you have to ask yourself so many Maybe's just to make sense of poor writing.

If she cared about the wellbeing of her troops then there's no reason for her to choose to press on until given an ultimatum. It'd be quite a stretch to assume she 'came to her senses and started caring about her troops' when the story shows nothing to even remotely suggest that happening.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-07 at 09:03 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Can't say I've heard any praise of the elephant scene, nor the shield sliding scenes. Most ridicule them.
    And what's really amusing is these exact same points came up already in the discussion about 50-100 pages ago.

Outside of the posts ACTUALLY DISCUSSING the released episodes - there's not a SINGLE POINT being made otherwise that hasn't been already talked about at least twice already in the last 200 pages. So no, really, there are people here who REFUSE to let it go and are LITERALLY now arguing in circles making the exact same arguments, 'smart points' about race/environment/biology/wtfever that were made 50+ pages ago as if they are "new points" no one else has mentioned.

Some of these same 'biological' 'real world' comparison arguments have been made almost every 15 pages. Its...hilarious that any of these people think they're making ANY of these points for the first time in the thread. When all it really does is show me how many people here don't bother to read even 5 pages back before they post.

--Someone who's actually read all 209 pages of this thread (and still reading, every page).
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    And what's really amusing is these exact same points came up already in the discussion about 50-100 pages ago.

Outside of the posts ACTUALLY DISCUSSING the released episodes - there's not a SINGLE POINT being made otherwise that hasn't been already talked about at least twice already in the last 200 pages. So no, really, there are people here who REFUSE to let it go and are LITERALLY now arguing in circles making the exact same arguments, 'smart points' about race/environment/biology/wtfever that were made 50+ pages ago as if they are "new points" no one else has mentioned.

Some of these same 'biological' 'real world' comparison arguments have been made almost every 15 pages. Its...hilarious that any of these people think they're making ANY of these points for the first time in the thread. When all it really does is show me how many people here don't bother to read even 5 pages back before they post.

--Someone who's actually read all 209 pages of this thread (and still reading, every page).
    That's just MMOC for you.
    Almost every single thread boils down to the same few posters circling the arguments.
    And usually when it dies down, then some random person comes in and reply so it starts again.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    HA SAME!

And not /that/ far off really - except I can't think of a single actual "soap opera" written half as well or with half-as-interesting characters. So I'd say "think of the best written soap opera you could ever see... in Skyrim.." =D

But as someone who refuses to go back and watch Breaking Bad, I also won't slight anyone who's just not interested in "catching up" with a lapsed tv show, no matter how 'good' it may be. (And I love Better Call Saul so go figure my logic out on that one .) Its only to do with the fact its an expired show and I'm not all into going back and watching 'old shows' - I've got enough to watch already.

But I will say in GoT's defense - its got way stronger writing than any actual soap opera. So if you DO like Fantasy series, and looking for something to watch, it IS one of the few quality options out there, in ALL of television. (Because tv doesn't have very many fantasy genre shows, and even less that are well done.)
    You love better call saul... but haven't watched breaking bad? Oh man are you missing out... o.O Not in the least on a lot of saul goodness

OT: with regards to the circular arguing about tokenism in the show... Yea the people burning the show down cuz of "token black characters" who "don't realistically fit into the setting" are annoying, and repetitive... but so are our counterpoints =P

We're throwing the same things out there, and recieving the same responses. Just the way the world works. We can only hope that slowly, over time, people change their mind just a little.

- - - Updated - - -

But that's actually my point. The story literally outlines that they're nothing more than normal Elves, and for an unexplained reason Galadriel is established as being superior to them all for reasons unknown. My argument was that even if you wanted to assume they were anything but a band of normal Elves, there isn't anything in the show to support it. There has been literally no time spent to establish Galadriel as a competent fighter who is well beyond the skill level of her troops.

Sure, no one's contesting that. My point is they never established this skill gap prior to the fight with the snow troll. This undermines any sensible narrative reason for her to even need a company of Elves given that the show establishes them being nothing more than an obstacle and nuisance to her. This is even reinforced by the fact she literally goes solo by the end of the episode.

Then that would be assuming something not shown in the narrative, and that's a big fucking fail if you have to ask yourself so many Maybe's just to make sense of poor writing.

If she cared about the wellbeing of her troops then there's no reason for her to choose to press on until given an ultimatum. It'd be quite a stretch to assume she 'came to her senses and started caring about her troops' when the story shows nothing to even remotely suggest that happening.
    I don't think the show is intending to show Galadriel as such a "superior fighter" at all... Sure she downed the ice troll, but only with the help of her men. The moves she used to do so are nothing out of the ordinary for elves we have seen in other iterations.

What the show does present, is that she became a leader among her people. That doesn't require more cladding than what was shown in the prologue.
    Last edited by Veggie50; 2022-09-07 at 09:13 PM.

I don't think the show is intending to show Galadriel as such a "superior fighter" at all... Sure she downed the ice troll, but only with the help of her men. The moves she used to do so are nothing out of the ordinary for elves we have seen in other iterations.

What the show does present, is that she became a leader among her people. That doesn't require more cladding than what was shown in the prologue.
    They did absolutely nothing... they got smashed.
    Arguably the one "tossing" her helped, but that wasn't even necessary for her to defeat the troll. If so, 1 elf helped her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    They did absolutely nothing... they got smashed.
    Arguably the one "tossing" her helped, but that wasn't even necessary for her to defeat the troll. If so, 1 elf helped her.
    I suppose a lot in this scene depends on what you’re trying to see.

I suppose a lot in this scene depends on what you’re trying to see.
    Weird way to look at scenes if you do it like that... explains it though.

This is the scene that establishes Galadriel as a competent fighter who is well beyond the skill level of her troops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does killing a snow troll when no one else can not do that?

Like I get it, you think it's moved too fast and not established her abilities enough...but we're two episodes in and her prowess is literally being established via the very thing you hate. For some reason a snow troll is like a big breakpoint for you? Or did you want a piece of throwaway dialogue that just explains it?

I don't think the show is intending to show Galadriel as such a "superior fighter" at all... Sure she downed the ice troll, but only with the help of her men.
    Aside from the springboard, what exactly did they help with? Is there some extended cut where they actually helped that I'm missing here?

Yes but then the show quickly undermined that all by presenting her as an irrational leader who had no care about her troops wellbeing. So what exactly does that serve?

My criticism is how the show's narrative is all over the place in trying to portray her as a revenge-driven, capable fighter type character who is supposed to be well respected by her peers. And yet the 20 minute introduction with her company shows little-to-no leadership skills, with her merely barking orders and taking matters into her own hand. And it gets so bad that her troops give her an ultimatum to leave with or without her.

So whatever leadership they're trying to establish, the first 20 minutes squanders with its actual story. I'm not sure how to take this any other way, and how anyone could see this as an example of a good leader. The only point this show made was that she was right about the evil still existing in the world, and everything came at the cost of her forsaking her duty as a good leader and taking care of her troops first and foremost. I mean, she isn't even a good leader in being dutiful, because they literally explain she's been defying the king's order to return for months now. The only reason she doesn't get reprimanded is literally because of plot armor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    This is the scene that establishes Galadriel as a competent fighter who is well beyond the skill level of her troops.
    I mean, yeah. Exactly this.

Otherwise the argument becomes cyclical and goes all the way back to telling the entire story of her training and how she overcame every slightly more difficult challenge until she killed her first orc, and then from there how she farmed 1000 orcs to unlock troll-slayer tier.

It's like asking for the filler episode Sword Art Online treatment in a blockbuster show.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    And like I said, the irrevocable result is it also establishes that her troops are so worthless that one could question why she needs them in the first place.

And by the end of the episode, she literally abandons them to go off on her own anyways, vindicating the idea that she should have just dumped the dead weight and continued doing her thing since she was gonna do that anyways by the end of the show. At least she wouldn't be wasting her time swimming back to Middle Earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    So whatever leadership they're trying to establish, the first 20 minutes squanders with its actual story. I'm not sure how to take this any other way, and how anyone could see this as an example of a good leader. The only point this show made was that she was right about the evil still existing in the world, and everything came at the cost of her forsaking her duty as a good leader and taking care of her troops first and foremost. I mean, she isn't even a good leader in being dutiful, because they literally explain she's been defying the king's order to return for months now. The only reason she doesn't get reprimanded is literally because of plot armor.
    Elves have a habit in Tolkien of being both leaders of their people and also totally irrational/driven by ulterior motives.

- - - Updated - - -

And like I said, the irrevocable result is it also establishes that her troops are so worthless that one could question why she needs them in the first place.

And by the end of the episode, she literally abandons them to go off on her own anyways, vindicating the idea that she should have just dumped the dead weight and continued doing her thing since she was gonna do that anyways by the end of the show. At least she wouldn't be wasting her time swimming back to Middle Earth.
    Why is that a major issue for you though? They're a bunch of redshirt elves, they're not important. The intent was to set up Galadriel as a powerful figure - mission accomplished.

Fuck, the Gondorian troops in Minas Tirith are all expertly trained and amazing fighters yet they die pathetically by the bucketful in RotK and no one bats an eye. Meanwhile the heroes are unstoppable, with even the fucking hobbits accomplishing more in combat than the average elite Gondorian soldier.

Haldir's elves die like bitches at Helm's Deep in the movies and people don't care or think that makes them meaningless/worthless. Haldir himself has a pretty pathetic death for a heroic figure.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Does killing a snow troll when no one else can not do that?
    The snow troll dies in any way the writers want it to. That's the key thing to take away from this narrative.

That they chose Galadriel to do it singlehandedly while the Troll is shown mopping the floors with her troops merely illustrates how inadequate her troops are, and how they're holding her back.

It's not about whether no one could or not, because the Troll is merely an obstacle to showcase the Elves' ability in combat. And in this show, they chose to focus it all on Galadriel alone. This is their deliberate choice.

If she is supposed to be a leader, why not have her lead her troops and show that off instead? Why not show that the Elves merely got ambushed and it was Galadriel's leadership and ability to rally her troops that changed the tides? We see Aragorn do this time and time again in the PJ movies. Not only is he a good fighter, but he gives orders to his team and trusts in their ability to get things done. Galadriel shows off none of this, merely taking things in her own hands.

I'm not questioning the fact she took the troll down, I'm questioning why the writers thought this was the best way to showcase Galadriel and her relationship with her troops. This one scene undermines her leadership skills by showing that she's better off taking matter in her own hands instead of leading a team.

For some reason a snow troll is like a big breakpoint for you? Or did you want a piece of throwaway dialogue that just explains it?
    Because they intend her to be a leader of a company of Elves, but in the entire 20 minutes she's literally shown to be a terrible leader.

Watch the first 20 minutes again and just take note of her actual leadership abilities. You'll find that most of her motivations are quite irrational and indifferent to the wellbeing of her troops. The Troll fight is the point where we see how pointless the rest of her troops are to her mission, which then questions why they're still with her, or more importantly, why she's still with them. There is no narrative reason why Galadriel even needs her troops in the north, considering they couldn't even handle the first obstacle the story throws at them.

That is the significance of the snow troll. It's the first thing we see test the team, and the result is we see that her troops are worthless, and that they've been holding Galadriel back since the very beginning of the show. If they were shown to at least be competent in something and offer a reason for Galadriel needing them to push forward, then it would be much more understandable why she bends to their ultimatum. But it's pretty clear after the fight that she doesn't need them. And the show literally illustrates this at the end when she jumps off the ship and leaves them.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-07 at 10:27 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Have you never played an RPG where you can focus power into one characters and use the other party members to support them? Even if one member is a more competent fighter there is almost always things other party members can do that are needed and without them the Best fighter has a much harder or impossible time.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.