1. #5181
    Things are picking up in pace, good... still a tad slow. I think it's due to them jumping around so much to everyone. So the scenes happen quickly, feeling it goes fast, but they are short so it develops slowly.

    The beginning protest I feel they could skip. It went from them supporting the protest kind of heavily and then some guy comes and basically says "Are you men or children?" and then they switch sides. All for the purpose of introducing this good guy for the next scene.
    It was funny that apparently there are servants just waiting for him to yell "Drinks all around" and they come out like a military squad getting the GO signal.

    I think I need to watch something else with Morfydd Clark to see if she actually can act. Because it certainly feels like a director problem since most main characters are just supposed to look stone faced concerned constantly. Stone face, move lips...acting achieved. So far the side characters are the best ones.

    Kinda funny to see Halbrand is a hater as well, he was listing the same problems lots of others have pointed out about Galadriel. Even if they showed some character growth there, it never got used though. Figured she would use it to convince Miriel but the fact she changed her mind was because of her vision and she realized the vision would become true if she denied the Elf. Pointed out by it starting to fall when she was about to leave, not when she arrived as she suspected.

    The "fight scene" was kind of ridiculous again... she pushes one guard and the other 2 just fell into the cell and then she pushed the last one.
    They could've just used 2 guards and it would be fine, but they went with 4 for some reason.
    Side note: When she gets put into the cell she has 2 big circle lines under her eyes. Curious what that was, gone in the next clip of her so I guess an error, but curious of what kind.

    Princess Disa tells Durin "I made sure to have him escorted out".
    yet he wasn't? What was up with that? Did she lie to Durin? Elrond was just sitting there, looking at them. At first I thought he gave an excuse like wanting to take a look of the view or whatever. But when the guards came they apparently had nothing to do with the escorting of him. Feels like something got cut out in the edit here.

    A question, why is princess Disa's eyes the way they are? Does it have anything to do with her ability to sing to the mountain?
    Also, did the Mithril get smoother throughout the scene? At first it was very detailed but when Elrond got it it looked smoother, but I think even the glow looked worse, so my guess is a VFX blunder. No big deal, just a note.

    Theon is still the more interesting bit of the story even though that still develops very slow.
    Bit of a WTF moment with Arondir showed up. I get that Adar wanted to send a message to the people, but why not send some weaker old slave. Instead it's an elf in his prime and even gave him weapons to boot. I guess he didn't tell his orcs that he released him...but then the message would be null if he got killed on the way.
    I hope they explain this more and give a good reason... otherwise I just find it contrived.

    The sneaking sequence felt a bit gamey due to Theon being able to see what the camera sees quite a lot of times.

    They learned how to use slow-motion this time though. Much better use than last time.

    Still think Halbrand will be Sauron, but I don't deny the possibility of a Nazgul/Witch King role.
    Theon will definitely become a Nazgul though.

    5.5/10 I would say. Still don't enjoy the dialogues that much. And yeah the "TEMPEST IN ME" was excruciatingly bad with those flared up eyes but still a stone face somehow.
    Environments looks good, I still have a problem with the greenscreen though, it still feels like they are cut in quite blatantly.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2022-09-16 at 06:59 PM.

  2. #5182
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I'm like 20 pages behind but I think the stranger is either gandalf or saurman.

    Probably gandalf because connection to hobbits, whispering to fireflies.

    But the part of me that clings to continuity says (while screaming that they're still a few thousand years too early) it would be saurman because "voice-magic" and because he was the first of them to arrive on middle earth.

    But it's probably gandalf because "HEY GUYS LOOK GANDALF!"

    As for halbrand, yeah I think he's either the witch king or at least one of the 9. I don't think saurons been there yet, though I haven't seen todays episode. I do think "Adar" is a red herring though.
    I think Halbrand will be a Nazgul, just not the witch king.

    It’s the witch king of Angmar. Angmar is way in the north… assuming he is actually the rightful king of the southlands, there is no connection. Besides, the other nazgul are “great kings of men” aswell.

  3. #5183
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    I think Halbrand will be a Nazgul, just not the witch king.

    It’s the witch king of Angmar. Angmar is way in the north… assuming he is actually the rightful king of the southlands, there is no connection. Besides, the other nazgul are “great kings of men” aswell.
    Angmar was taken by the Witch King though, presumedly after he already becomes a Nazgul. There doesn't need to be a connection since he takes it and establishes his realm by force.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-16 at 07:09 PM.

  4. #5184
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    I think Halbrand will be a Nazgul, just not the witch king.

    It’s the witch king of Angmar. Angmar is way in the north… assuming he is actually the rightful king of the southlands, there is no connection. Besides, the other nazgul are “great kings of men” aswell.
    Thats a good point, he's supposed to be the rightful king of the southlands, so yeah indeed not angmar. I missed that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Angmar was taken by the Witch King though, presumedly after he already becomes a Nazgul. There doesn't need to be a connection since he takes it and establishes his realm by force.
    Well shoot but then there's this. =\

    Could go either way I suppose. We're supposed to see them all created in this show though no?

    Ringswiki just says he's "likely one of three kings of numenor" so now I'm leaning more toward it not being him
    Last edited by AcidicSyn; 2022-09-16 at 07:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

  5. #5185
    About the Witch King:

    Some time after Sauron seized the Rings of Power in the Sack of Eregion, S.A. 1697 he gave nine of them to Mannish kings, sorcerers and other warriors.[1] With the power of their rings, the Nine achieved glory and grew wealthy, but they eventually started hating life as they were slowly drawn under Sauron’s dominion. In the end, they all became the dreadful Ringwraiths.

    The one later known as the Witch-king was one of these, probably[2] one of the unnamed three lords of Númenor to take the rings.[3] He first appeared in the histories as a Ringwraith in S.A. 2251. Being the most powerful of the Nazgûl, he became their chief and the most feared servant of his master Sauron.
    https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Witch-king

    It should be one of the Kings who receives a ring. Given that there are no Kings in Numenor at this point in the series and only Miriel, not sure what kings will be introduced to become the Nazghul in this series. Maybe it will just be some rando person.

  6. #5186
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    About the Witch King:


    https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Witch-king

    It should be one of the Kings who receives a ring. Given that there are no Kings in Numenor at this point in the series and only Miriel, not sure what kings will be introduced to become the Nazghul in this series. Maybe it will just be some rando person.
    Well.... Halbrand is supposedly a King, and he's in Numenor so....

  7. #5187
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    About the Witch King:


    https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Witch-king

    It should be one of the Kings who receives a ring. Given that there are no Kings in Numenor at this point in the series and only Miriel, not sure what kings will be introduced to become the Nazghul in this series. Maybe it will just be some rando person.
    I suspect that when ringswiki is talking about "One of 3 kings of numenor" it doesn't mean THE king, but instead one of the lords referenced in your own quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

  8. #5188
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Well.... Halbrand is supposedly a King, and he's in Numenor so....
    True. Just pointing out there aren't any more Kings in Numenor after Pharazon/Miriel so it remains to be seen what Numenorean kings there could be in this series to become Nazghul.

    Halbrand could become a wraith but he isn't a King of Numenor.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I suspect that when ringswiki is talking about "One of 3 kings of numenor" it doesn't mean THE king, but instead one of the lords referenced in your own quote.
    The rings were created 1500 years before the fall of Numenor, with plenty of time for them to be given to 3 Numenorean kings.

    So part of the 'mystery' here is how this new timeline in the series is going to accomplish all of that and when.

  9. #5189
    Not only do I have questions of the timeline, I have questions on the passing of time.

    There's an assumption that chunks of time are being passed, but it's all inconsistent. Galadriel and Halbrand's story is supposed to be in Numenor for a matter of 2-3 days per Halbrand's request, and that makes sense. They'd be a few days lost at sea, with a quick rescue, and a swift travel to Numenor where they've been at for less-than-a-week's time. And that's where the story is so far with them.

    But then we see Elrond's story with huge progress on the Tower. And now that old strange dude talking to Theo implies it's been weeks since the Meteor was seen. So how exactly is time progressing here? Just trying to make sense of it, because I was under the assumption that all the arcs were following a similar progression of time, and I'm not sure it's meant to be condensed in some areas and spread out in others.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-16 at 08:14 PM.

  10. #5190
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    True. Just pointing out there aren't any more Kings in Numenor after Pharazon/Miriel so it remains to be seen what Numenorean kings there could be in this series to become Nazghul.

    Halbrand could become a wraith but he isn't a King of Numenor.

    - - - Updated - - -



    The rings were created 1500 years before the fall of Numenor, with plenty of time for them to be given to 3 Numenorean kings.

    So part of the 'mystery' here is how this new timeline in the series is going to accomplish all of that and when.
    I'm aware of the proper timeline. That's kind of what I was talking about.

    We're apparently supposed to see all of the wraiths created as well as the rings get created all within the confines of this compressed timeline. So we're musing on who might be who =\

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Not only do I have questions of the timeline, I have questions on the passing of time.

    There's an assumption that chunks of time are being passed, but it's all inconsistent. Galadriel and Halbrand's story is supposed to be in Numenor for a matter of 2-3 days per Halbrand's request, and that makes sense. They'd be a few days lost at sea, with a quick rescue, and a swift travel to Numenor where they've been at for less-than-a-week's time. And that's where the story is so far with them.

    But then we see Elrond's story with huge progress on the Tower. And now that old strange dude talking to Theo implies it's been weeks since the Meteor was seen. So how exactly is time progressing here? Just trying to make sense of it, because I was under the assumption that all the arcs were following a similar progression of time, and I'm not sure if they are and more time is passing without explanation or if it's meant to be condensed in some areas and spread out in others.
    I'm starting to think each of the perspectives has its own continuity as opposed to each of them progressing along side of each other, at least thats how I've been able to make sense of it.

    Like the Elrond perspective is progressing much faster than say, the Halbrand/Galadriel perspective though if thats the case I wonder at what point they'll merge?
    Last edited by AcidicSyn; 2022-09-16 at 08:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

  11. #5191
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I'm starting to think each of the perspectives has its own continuity as opposed to each of them progressing along side of each other, at least thats how I've been able to make sense of it.

    Like the Elrond perspective is progressing much faster than say, the Halbrand/Galadriel perspective though if thats the case I wonder at what point they'll merge?
    I would have preferred them to make use of cuts and pacing to imply time passage if that's the case. Like if the Harfoots got a time skip by next episode, I'd be perfectly fine since we didn't see them now. But I feel like Galadriel's arc in Numenor should have been contained and resolved before they jump back to Elrond and show the progress of the Tower. Their arcs are tied together because we know when Galadriel and Elrond meet each other, and the passage of time between the two should be relative. The way it is right now, it's so jarring to me that we have timelapses being cross-cut between each other.

  12. #5192
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Yeah, maybe read more than a quarter of my posts instead of selectively quoting tangential points you're more comfortable engaging with and then I will write a response to your argument (even though I basically already adressed most of it which you would know if you read my posts). You also refused to answer even a single question I posed to you (both in the last post and the one before that) so it is pretty obvious that you're not willing to seriously engage with the argument.



    Hardly an excuse. House of the Dragon looks much better, has better dialogue, superior acting (and actors), costumes etc. while costing a fraction of Rings of Power.
    U sr nailed it with the house Of dragons ref

  13. #5193
    *yawn* at least there's dwarves. pansy elves and humans are boring.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

  14. #5194
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    24,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Not only do I have questions of the timeline, I have questions on the passing of time.

    There's an assumption that chunks of time are being passed, but it's all inconsistent. Galadriel and Halbrand's story is supposed to be in Numenor for a matter of 2-3 days per Halbrand's request, and that makes sense. They'd be a few days lost at sea, with a quick rescue, and a swift travel to Numenor where they've been at for less-than-a-week's time. And that's where the story is so far with them.

    But then we see Elrond's story with huge progress on the Tower. And now that old strange dude talking to Theo implies it's been weeks since the Meteor was seen. So how exactly is time progressing here? Just trying to make sense of it, because I was under the assumption that all the arcs were following a similar progression of time, and I'm not sure it's meant to be condensed in some areas and spread out in others.
    The timeline is compressed. Not even speculation, its known.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  15. #5195
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The timeline is compressed. Not even speculation, its known.
    Yeah, and that wasn't one of the questions about the timeline that I have. Like you said, it's known.

  16. #5196
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    24,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Yeah, and that wasn't one of the questions about the timeline that I have. Like you said, it's known.
    I should have explained what I meant a bit.

    It seems like they are using something like a logarithmic scale, which is a form of compression.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  17. #5197
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    17,008
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Like the Elrond perspective is progressing much faster than say, the Halbrand/Galadriel perspective though if thats the case I wonder at what point they'll merge?
    I'm not sure that it is. We know that Elrond was introduced to the project sometime after Galadriel was "sent off". When the common element, the falling meteor, is show we see him with Celebrimbor but not much context of their location is given. So being introduced to the tower and the dwarves could have already happened prior to the meteor as a sort of flash back. Or the dwarves might just be capable builders as doesn't the show mention 19 work crews? If they work around the clock a tower base that is shown might be feasible or Elrond got brought in after the tower was already started.

    All the view points seem to share the same general time period. The common element of the meteor falling seems to be the point where time skips no longer happen in the story. Give or take based on how much time is shown for each viewpoint as some would span more time then others.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  18. #5198
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I'm starting to think each of the perspectives has its own continuity as opposed to each of them progressing along side of each other, at least thats how I've been able to make sense of it.

    Like the Elrond perspective is progressing much faster than say, the Halbrand/Galadriel perspective though if thats the case I wonder at what point they'll merge?
    I wouldn't call them separate continuities, but there definitely seems to be a larger passage of time in Elrond's story. I'm guessing it just means that they won't merge again until much later in the story. Which makes sense, given that so far there's been no connection between what he's doing and the crisis happening in the Southlands. I fully expect Meteor Man to lead his new hobbit friends down south at some point, looking for those stars.

  19. #5199
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    All the view points seem to share the same general time period. The common element of the meteor falling seems to be the point where time skips no longer happen in the story. Give or take based on how much time is shown for each viewpoint as some would span more time then others.
    My biggest question circles around how Galadriel's arc fits into that, since the Elrond arc seems to follow the same 'it's been weeks since the meteor' time progression of the Southlands. What's throwing me for a loop is the "give us 2-3 days" condition that Halbrand and the Queen agreed to, and how long they're actually in Numenor for.

  20. #5200
    The biggest problem with the show is that it has too many stories going on at once. And they keep expanding them without giving them a chance to breathe. It's trying to follow what Game of Thrones did, but you need interesting characters to make that work, which this one does not.

    We have 5 stories going on, just 3 to many. The show also needs more clear antagonists - there's no stakes or menace to the orcs this time around. LotR was greaet when it showcased the industrial might of Saruman against the natural wonder of Fangorn, the menacing music and panning camera angles, while ripping orcs out of the ground and branding them. There's just nothing like that in this.
    Last edited by infinitemeridian; 2022-09-17 at 02:26 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •