Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Trying to emulate GoT which had a recurring mark showing up?
    Is this a House of Dragons thing? I haven't watched it yet if so, it's on my list and mostly waiting for a full season binge

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKarateDeathCar View Post
    Why do you care? You don't like the show. Also I don't think you can claim you "long stopped watching" when it's 4th episode barely came out XD
    Why do you care that people are upset? Maybe realize people love Tolkien, and when they heard about the show they wanted it to be amazing, but recent expectations (especially from Amazon) made them weary, and the show has so far largely justified it.

RoP is a very pretty steaming pile of mediocre. The dialogue is abysmal, the characters range from terrible to good, it strays very far from the source material, and the plot line is all over the place in the worst ways, having little progress while having very nonsensical moments (including the suicide attempt by Galadriel to be saved dues ex machina twice).

The fact that a show with a billion dollar budget based on Tolkiens work is so mediocre at best pisses people off because with the right team producing and writing it the show could have been one of the greatest shows ever, and instead its forgettable generic fantasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKarateDeathCar View Post
    Why do you care? You don't like the show.
    We need more crusaders in the endless war against the Woke Agenda™!

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    A funny post, given that you described RoP's relationship to the previous Jackson movies to a tee. It's the same shit, just with different stories and different characters...
    Lets approach from probably a better example: the ford mustang.

You have ye olden mustang and all its successors essentially being the same thing. RWD V8 coupe. There were some missteps in there that got ford properly lambasted, and there are some cheaper mustangs that are mustang-lites like the non-v8 variants, but by-and-large the mustang has been a RWD coupe with a v8.

Then, some yahoo at ford decides "You know what? In order to make this monstrosity of a CUV EV a 'mustang mach-e'! People will love it! They recognize the name!"

THAT is what this series is. It's the Mustang Mach-E of Tolkien.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Then, some yahoo at ford decides "You know what? In order to make this monstrosity of a CUV EV a 'mustang mach-e'! People will love it! They recognize the name!" THAT is what this series is. It's the Mustang Mach-E of Tolkien.
    So the new thing that lots of people love that will help save the planet is supposed to the show? Poor metaphor that just really shows how much people reach to try to crap on something. Not to mention Ford is having a gas Mustang as part of their line up and Ford says the success of the the Mach-E convinced them to still offer the old mustang. What if this show's success allows further Tolkien related stuff? Remember Amazon has the rights to do spin offs if they so wish.

Farley said a big reason Ford is continuing with gas-powered Mustangs is, ironically, the success of the Mustang Mach-E, an all-electric crossover that first went on sale in late 2020 and has actually outsold the gas-powered version during some months. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/16/ford...s-powered.html
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Tolkiens work is so mediocre
    this part is true. Outside of lotr and ze hobbit the rest is fucking toilet.

quite funny that appeal at the end 'this could have been the greatest show ever'. Go write it then pal. You have an imagined idea of what you want which will never measure up to anything anyone else produces. Entirely unrealistic expectations. Impossible to please.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post

THAT is what this series is. It's the Mustang Mach-E of Tolkien.
    I have no idea what this even means. If there's a market for an electric Mustang, people will buy it. If there's a market for a LotR show with [insert feature that outrange merchants are pissing their pants over], people will watch it. End of story.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post

quite funny that appeal at the end 'this could have been the greatest show ever'. Go write it then pal. You have an imagined idea of what you want which will never measure up to anything anyone else produces. Entirely unrealistic expectations. Impossible to please.
    Its quite sad that people go so low to the point of saying tolkien work is toilet, not the show, his work

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Its quite sad that people go so low to the point of saying tolkien work is toilet, not the show, his work
    If Tolkien came out today, no one would care. He's notable because he basically got the fantasy genre ball rolling, not be cause anyone really gives a shit about his supposed creative/literary genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    anyone who says they enjoyed The Silmarillion is lying.

dont tell me you are a big Farmer Giles of Ham fan

- - - Updated - - -

If Tolkien came out today, no one would care. He's notable because he basically got the fantasy genre ball rolling, not be cause anyone really gives a shit about his supposed creative/literary genius.
    nah lotr would be a storm still

nah lotr would be a storm still
    /shrug I obviously have my doubts.

At this point I put his work on the level of the old classics that you'd be assigned to read in English class in high school. The stuff may be technically good, but...I don't know...it's just not as exciting as it may have once been.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2022-09-19 at 03:40 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    And what basis do you have for that outside the one from where you sit?

Like, trying to mock his work in a vain tentative to defend the show - because you have no argument - is some next level for sure

- - - Updated - - -

anyone who says they enjoyed The Silmarillion is lying.

dont tell me you are a big Farmer Giles of Ham fan

Then why a company like amazon is wasting billions for just some pages?

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So the new thing that lots of people love that will help save the planet is supposed to the show? Poor metaphor that just really shows how much people reach to try to crap on something. Not to mention Ford is having a gas Mustang as part of their line up and Ford says the success of the the Mach-E convinced them to still offer the old mustang.
    That's a lie. The mustang is still a killer seller without the mach e. Also, a faithful mustang would have been a coupe with EV. It's not the EV that's the problem. It's the fact that it's an SUV EV incorrectly wearing the mustang nameplate trying to convince us it's cool by doing so. Also, if the mustang was in actual jeopardy due to no longer being feasible, I'd rather it just die and them invent a new car name for the mach e.

- - - Updated - - -

I have no idea what this even means. If there's a market for an electric Mustang, people will buy it. If there's a market for a LotR show with [insert feature that outrange merchants are pissing their pants over], people will watch it. End of story.
    Go look at the mach e. It's not a mustang. It's an SUV.

Look, the show is alright. It has some really bad writing and some lore inconsistencies. I'm gonna keep watching it, but it's definitely worthy of some heavy criticism.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2022-09-19 at 04:25 AM.

If Tolkien outside of those is so bad why are you here? You just admitted the show couldn't be good for you as it is based on "fucking toilet".

I don't have to write it mate, it was already written. Yet you are the one claiming to be an expert and able to call it crap? Ego much? I mean I guess the rest of us in the literary world are just idiot chumps compared to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

I believe it’s well established that while the world he has created is amazing, Tolkien’s not an amazing writer. His stories lack planning and can be a drudge at points.

That’s not what his work is lauded for though. It’s the depth of the lore, the care for the cultures depicted. One can read his works and imagine the living world.

I read the silmarillion long ago, and it was a fuckin chore. What I loved most about it, is that “the lord of the rings”, the epic that sparked the mania, was just a single chapter in history, and really not a very major one. That perspective blew me away.

So, is Tolkien “toilet”? Not by any means, but if you judge him just on his narrative planning, he’s definitely not good.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    If Tolkien outside of those is so bad why are you here? You just admitted the show couldn't be good for you as it is based on "fucking toilet".

I don't have to write it mate, it was already written. Yet you are the one claiming to be an expert and able to call it crap? Ego much? I mean I guess the rest of us in the literary world are just idiot chumps compared to you.
    The show isn't good its boring and tepid. I'm trying to hate watch it, but its not bad its just bluegh.

As to your second point, yup thats pretty much right. Thanks for admitting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Is this a House of Dragons thing? I haven't watched it yet if so, it's on my list and mostly waiting for a full season binge
    I'm referring to the symbol that appeared on the first and last episodes of GoT season 1, AFAIK might have reappeared at other times of the show.

A frost magic circle thingy opened the show North of the Wall on 1st episode, and Danny's fiery circle concluded the season.
    Last edited by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang; 2022-09-19 at 07:07 AM.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Honestly i like most of the show.
    My problem is mainly:
    1. Galadriel.... fucking hell... why did they make her into a stubborn insolent child. She is allready thousands of years old... it was ok in the first episode but it gets worse and worse every episode. No wonder the humans hate elves...
    2. The dude with the sword hilt... same problem but he is ACTUALLY a child so... bit expected
    3. Adar... why the ever living fuck did he let him go to "deliver a message"? And then they try to kill him?

I really really like the storyline of the dwarfes and elrond. I like Halbrand.
    Hobbits are quite savage to be honest in contrast to their comic relief nature.
    Twist your ankle? DEATH!

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Honestly i like most of the show.
    My problem is mainly:
    1. Galadriel.... fucking hell... why did they make her into a stubborn insolent child. She is allready thousands of years old... it was ok in the first episode but it gets worse and worse every episode. No wonder the humans hate elves...
    2. The dude with the sword hilt... same problem but he is ACTUALLY a child so... bit expected
    3. Adar... why the ever living fuck did he let him go to "deliver a message"? And then they try to kill him?

I really really like the storyline of the dwarfes and elrond. I like Halbrand.
    Hobbits are quite savage to be honest in contrast to their comic relief nature.
    Twist your ankle? DEATH!
    Can't really "defend" most points, because it's still unclear where the story will move, but I would like to present some arguments for consideration.

1. Galadriel. Yes she's already quite old, but an "insolent child" she is not. Mind you she's actually among royalty within the elves, and has spent 100's of years battling an absolute evil, that people around her now act "doesn't exist" and she should "just chill". The term gaslighting comes to mind. The difference between Galadriel here and Galadriel in LotR seems to me, that she has not yet learned how to deal with obtuseness. I'll be curious to see how this unfolds.

2. In my opinion the show did a bit too little to show that "the southlands" is actually a region that will later fall into "mordor". These peoples ancestors were not very kosjer, so to say. A bit like Germany post WW1 (though for a longer timespan). They hate the outside world (especially elves) because they are blamed for what their ancestors did, several generations ago. The kid then finds an item of obvious power, and we all know how sensitive humanity is to power.

3. The orcs that were in the village looking for swordkid weren't necessarily the same orcs that knew he was released by Adar. As to why he was released to give a message, probably because Adar thinks the watchtower is a deathtrap anyway, and the surrounding lands are already well infiltrated.

Completely agree with you on the dwarven storyline, LOVING seeing more of them. The Harfoots clearly show here that their existence is far from idyllic, and we'll see why they decided to settle in the shire.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post

1. Galadriel. Yes she's already quite old, but an "insolent child" she is not. Mind you she's actually among royalty within the elves, and has spent 100's of years battling an absolute evil, that people around her now act "doesn't exist" and she should "just chill". The term gaslighting comes to mind. The difference between Galadriel here and Galadriel in LotR seems to me, that she has not yet learned how to deal with obtuseness. I'll be curious to see how this unfolds.
    That is the problem with her though. She is among royalty. She is the commander of armies. Yet she acts nothing like such.
    Other people aren't obtuse at all, considering the only reason she has given to believe the evil is still around is because "why isn't it gone from in here?". She just feels it and we know she is right, but others have no reason whatsoever to believe such. Especially not Númenor.
    She acting like a child because others don't fall in line and accept her feelings of something is not them being obtuse and certainly doesn't validate her behaviour.
    So I don't agree with that she hasn't learned how to deal with people being obtuse, she hasn't learned that everyone won't just take her word for everything and actually need something to back it up before they make big decisions for her cause.
    Error 404 - Signature not found