1. #5541
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    So which metrics, exactly. Give me concrete info please, not "the metrics". Which ones.
    Any metric you search for proves the show is good, a 1 min search proves the show is highly rated and the metrics are only brought down a little from clearly inaccurate ratings because some fans are upset while many other fans are more than happy with RoP.

    The show would be in the 8/10 plus ratings if not for inaccurate reviews, but anything 6/10 plus is still a good show, 8/10 plus is in the excellent range.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2022-09-25 at 06:27 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  2. #5542
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I assume season 1 is going to end with the rings of power being made and Sauron being defeated by the combined forces of elves and Numenoreans?

    With 3 episodes left thats going to be tough to fit in. Its also after this that Sauron retreats to Mordor, which will then be followed immediately by the first wizards (Radagast and Saruman) arriving on middle earth...
    Highly doubt the rings are gonna be made in season 1.
    The forges will be done in at the end of season 1. The rings and the process and Saurons influence on them needs to be established and it need more than 3 episodes to be done well imo. Especially with the pace the show is going
    Error 404 - Signature not found

  3. #5543
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Any non-user score? On RT and Meta it is 84 and 71 according to critics. Wouldn't that put it in the "good" category? Imdb total rating is 6.9 which dropped from 7.2 earlier in the season. I would think a 6.9 is still in "good", right? Though I'm not sure where RT gets their critic score from since they don't list any "professional" reviews like Meta does.
    RT score is not a score. It means 84% of the reviewers did not give a review under 50%. Im not sure why anybody even read RT score lols. All it tells you is that only 16% of the professional review gave it under 2.5/5 stars or 5/10 reviews.

  4. #5544
    The Unstoppable Force rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    20,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    The forges will be done in at the end of season 1. The rings and the process and Saurons influence on them needs to be established and it need more than 3 episodes to be done well imo.
    They have already been setting up an influence with how they are lying/misdirecting Elrond and Galadriel. There is the blight as well. However they can easily forge the rings first 16 at the end and explore what you say when Celebrimbor forges his rings in Season 2. There was 90 years between between the first 16 and the next 3 greater rings. Another 10 years for the One Ring.

    So Season 2 can open with the betrayal and cover the War. Season 3-4 cover the creation of the ring wraiths and Season 5 will obviously be the War of the Last Alliance.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  5. #5545
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    On Galadriel, I started wondering wether her characterization could be drawn from a conscious homage to or an inconscious inspiration from Greta Thunberg...

    I guess it would be in line with the tendency of inserting modern topics...
    Makes me wonder too why do that? Sure there are current trends, and they may think to capitalise on that by injecting that into their work, but this is Tolkien's work and world they are using and it has certain things celarly defined the author doesn't want changed, - people may be fine about constantly changing spider man or batman or so called modernising or making current other people's work, but Tolkien is sacred to a lot of fans, and many of us who like it are of this modern generation, born long after the books were written and enjoy them for the world they present regardless of current trends oor our current culture, and regardless of what we identify as.

    You want to see Tolkien, but why do they feel the need to change someone else's work so much? Is it arrogance? or just a Hollywood trend - they think they are making it better? those changes just ruined a lot of what was actually rather quaint and distinguished about Moiddle Earth world of Tolkien. Which is why people like me despite being woke (not super woke - those guys have now become cultlists) are put off by the new series even though their a parts of it I like very much.

    But then this same company felt it was fine to make even more woke, an already woke enough Wheel of Time - so I wonder if it's more a company policy Amazon studios wnats to promote or live by /shrug

    I don't think they honour or respect Tolkien enough - those showrunners probably don't respect anyone and feel they can just up and change anything and their version will be better.. clearly not..
    Last edited by Mace; 2022-09-25 at 07:24 PM.

  6. #5546
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    The show would be in the 8/10 plus ratings if not for inaccurate reviews, but anything 6/10 plus is still a good show, 8/10 plus is in the excellent range.
    But you didn't just say "good show", you said 4/5.

    And now we've gone to "well it WOULD be 8/10 without reviews that I don't count" and "6/10 is still good!".

    Doesn't seem like something you'd say about a "simple fact", does it.

  7. #5547
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    But you didn't just say "good show", you said 4/5.

    And now we've gone to "well it WOULD be 8/10 without reviews that I don't count" and "6/10 is still good!".

    Doesn't seem like something you'd say about a "simple fact", does it.
    All metrics prove the show is good even with BS reviews, if you deny that you are just lying to yourself, you also cant deny that many of the lowest reviews are actually inaccurate, some of the worst shows i have seen i wouldnt give a 1 star rating or a 1/10.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    You want to see Tolkien, but why do they feel the need to change someone else's work so much? Is it arrogance? or just a Hollywood trend - they think they are making it better? those changes just ruined a lot of what was actually rather quaint and distinguished about Moiddle Earth world of Tolkien. Which is why people like me despite being woke (not super woke - those guys have now become cultlists) are put off by the new series even though their a parts of it I like very much.

    But then this same company felt it was fine to make even more woke, an already woke enough Wheel of Time - so I wonder if it's more a company policy Amazon studios wnats to promote or live by /shrug

    I don't think they honour or respect Tolkien enough - those showrunners probably don't respect anyone and feel they can just up and change anything and their version will be better.. clearly not..
    If the company doesnt have certain rights to do a certain part of the story then changes have to happen, its nothing about arrogance its about not getting sued by using copyright materials they are not allowed to use in the first place
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  8. #5548
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    If the company doesnt have certain rights to do a certain part of the story then changes have to happen, its nothing about arrogance its about not getting sued by using copyright materials they are not allowed to use in the first place
    I think those rights just prevented them from using certain characters or events that are described in specific books, it doesn't stop them representing Tolkien's work faithfully or accurately, and it certainly doesn't mean they have to make Tolkien's work reflect current day trends or remake his characters to be more like what they think modern feminine heroes should be.


    If you're doing Tolkien's world, shouldn't you stick faithfully to it?

    I guess you can change what you want (at least within the bounds of the licences agreement.), but doesn't mean fans who you want to win over are going to like it when you change their characters and races in a bad way. But then the showrunners probably thought all the changes were in a good way.. and that's what you get when you bring your ideology to the table. you may think it's good, and your arrogance is what makes you assume everyone believes your view of the world is good.

    IF you had stuck to the author's view and basis which is what is popular after all, not your ideology or world view, you'd get far less complaints - people of all kind of ideologies love Tolkien's work, even though they cannot identify with the world view or identities it's based on or agree or with them per say.


    "IT felt only natural to us that an adaptation of Tolkien's work would reflect what the world actually looks like," - says Lindsey Weber - an executive producer

    This is a direct quote, they were not interested in showing Tolkien's work, but adapting it to reflect today's world which is very different from it. Most people, today's peole, don't want to see today's world in every thing, and still enjoy Tolkien's work immensely even though it's not today's world and doesn't reflect it - and this oges for a lot of black, gay, young, people

  9. #5549
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I think those rights just prevented them from using certain characters or events that are described in specific books, it doesn't stop them representing Tolkien's work faithfully or accurately, and it certainly doesn't mean they have to make Tolkien's work reflect current day trends or remake his characters to be more like what they think modern feminine heroes should be.


    If you're doing Tolkien's world, shouldn't you stick faithfully to it?

    I guess you can change what you want (at least within the bounds of the licences agreement.), but doesn't mean fans who you want to win over are going to like it when you change their characters and races in a bad way. But then the showrunners probably thought all the changes were in a good way.. and that's what you get when you bring your ideology to the table. you may think it's good, and your arrogance is what makes you assume everyone believes your view of the world is good.

    IF you had stuck to the author's view and basis which is what is popular after all, not your ideology or world view, you'd get far less complaints - people of all kind of ideologies love Tolkien's work, even though they cannot identify with the world view or identities it's based on or agree or with them per say.


    "IT felt only natural to us that an adaptation of Tolkien's work would reflect what the world actually looks like," - says Lindsey Weber - an executive producer

    This is a direct quote, they were not interested in showing Tolkien's work, but adapting it to reflect today's world which is very different from it. Most people, today's peole, don't want to see today's world in every thing, and still enjoy Tolkien's work immensely even though it's not today's world and doesn't reflect it - and this oges for a lot of black, gay, young, people
    The way a book writer writes is also not always going to hold up for a film/tv series either, anyone expecting tolkien was expecting way too much because hes dead and its impossible to do a film/tv series the same as a book either.

    Also the author has not explained every single detail about everything in the LOTR world so there is plenty that is up for changing to suit the requirements for a tv/film series.

    The quote you posted has nothing to do with adapting to todays world views, its actually about showing what middle earth looked like in that age, nothing to do with racial casting or anything like that, if you find a suitable actor that can fill the role nothing else matters, especially since not everything is set in stone by tolkiens own words.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  10. #5550
    The Unstoppable Force rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    20,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I think those rights just prevented them from using certain characters or events that are described in specific books, it doesn't stop them representing Tolkien's work faithfully or accurately, and it certainly doesn't mean they have to make Tolkien's work reflect current day trends or remake his characters to be more like what they think modern feminine heroes should be.
    If they can't use something then they can't be faithful, right? For example I remember seeing that in the Hobbit movies Gandalf couldn't name the Blue Wizards when asked about them because Jackson didn't have the rights to use them in the film. While they weren't named in the book the film was based on it is an example of how rights can impact even small things.

    Also isn't some of the work the show is based on "established" by his son? So some of it is already a step removed from JRR Tolkien. So there really isn't a way to actually be faithful unless you just use the stuff that was published just by JRR.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  11. #5551
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Any non-user score? On RT and Meta it is 84 and 71 according to critics. Wouldn't that put it in the "good" category? Imdb total rating is 6.9 which dropped from 7.2 earlier in the season. I would think a 6.9 is still in "good", right? Though I'm not sure where RT gets their critic score from since they don't list any "professional" reviews like Meta does.
    Critic scores are based in what? The first two episodes? Or the whole series first season?

  12. #5552
    The Unstoppable Force rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    20,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Critic scores are based in what? The first two episodes? Or the whole series first season?
    Does that really matter? It's not like user scores are based on all episodes. So we will never have a universal rating for the entire season. You can check each metacritic review if it really is important to you.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  13. #5553
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I think those rights just prevented them from using certain characters or events that are described in specific books, it doesn't stop them representing Tolkien's work faithfully or accurately, and it certainly doesn't mean they have to make Tolkien's work reflect current day trends or remake his characters to be more like what they think modern feminine heroes should be.


    If you're doing Tolkien's world, shouldn't you stick faithfully to it?

    I guess you can change what you want (at least within the bounds of the licences agreement.), but doesn't mean fans who you want to win over are going to like it when you change their characters and races in a bad way. But then the showrunners probably thought all the changes were in a good way.. and that's what you get when you bring your ideology to the table. you may think it's good, and your arrogance is what makes you assume everyone believes your view of the world is good.

    IF you had stuck to the author's view and basis which is what is popular after all, not your ideology or world view, you'd get far less complaints - people of all kind of ideologies love Tolkien's work, even though they cannot identify with the world view or identities it's based on or agree or with them per say.


    "IT felt only natural to us that an adaptation of Tolkien's work would reflect what the world actually looks like," - says Lindsey Weber - an executive producer

    This is a direct quote, they were not interested in showing Tolkien's work, but adapting it to reflect today's world which is very different from it. Most people, today's peole, don't want to see today's world in every thing, and still enjoy Tolkien's work immensely even though it's not today's world and doesn't reflect it - and this oges for a lot of black, gay, young, people
    It's so wild that you think it's "ideology" if showrunners think they're "changing race in a good way," but see none in your objection that it's "changing race in a bad way," and similarly assume Tolkein wasn't operating on "ideology" when he made characters white. It would truly be a thing of beauty if the next time people collapsed and clawed their their chests over the inclusion of black people, while pretending it's fidelity to the work of fantasy they're upset about (it's about ethics in film adaptations!), that they replace every single white character with a person of color and call it a fucking day. What astonishes me--and it's not the casual racism because that's as tedious and run of the mill as it gets--is the absolute utter stinginess of people who just can't bear to share a single goddamn shred of joy with anyone else.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

  14. #5554
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Does that really matter? It's not like user scores are based on all episodes. So we will never have a universal rating for the entire season. You can check each metacritic review if it really is important to you.
    Well yes it matters because you're measuring critic reviews of the first two episodes to the show being good or bad, especially if the context is that the viewership numbers are dropping off (disputable and without evidence)

    I wouldn't count any review scores towards measuring a show being good or bad if it isn't covering the full season.

  15. #5555
    The Unstoppable Force rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    20,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Well yes it matters because you're measuring critic reviews of the first two episodes to the show being good or bad, especially if the context is that the viewership numbers are dropping off (disputable and without evidence)
    So is everyone else in this thread when they call the show good or bad because the full season has yet to come out.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  16. #5556
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So is everyone else in this thread when they call the show good or bad because the full season has yet to come out.
    Er, people are actually watching the show and presenting opinions as it comes out. Reviews are static. Big difference?

  17. #5557
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Naw, season will end with the rings starting to be crafted, I bet the last scene is maybe seeing the one ring being pulled out of a mold or some such. No way we get Sauron actually fighting, only big battle/fighting we will get is next episode at the tower (mini helms deep) and a final battle with the orcs/Adar vs Galadriel/Numenor.

    Also Radagast and Saruman didn't arrive in Middle Earth till the 3rd age, they could have the 2nd blue wizard come as when they arrived has changed. Then again considering we have the rings being made while Elendil/Isildur are alive and the Durin's Bane awakening in this age instead of thousands of years into the 3rd age who fucking knows.



    Mate don't engage Kenn, he is the guy that rabidly defends Star Citizens, not worth it. Not to mention anyone that calls this show great while shitting on Tolkien is a pretty obvious troll.
    This season is building up to a big showdown in the region that will become Mordor. The tower storyline is centered on that. None of that has absolutely anything to do with Tolkien or literally how the rings of power will be made. And I am pretty sure that the way those rings get made will also not be following Tolkien either. This entire series is simply randomly picking pieces of lore from Tolkien and adding a lot of non canon stories to make up their own version of the second age which is literally not a prequel to the Lord of the Rings book or movies because it is non canon.

    That is the biggest problem here in that they tried to claim it was going to be close to canon and true to the source material but all of that was misleading marketing when this series does not have the rights to begin to claim that. At best this series is nothing more than a what if kind of fan fiction about how things could have happened in the second age based on how these writers and producers imagined it, but literally not canon to anything in Tolkien. But they called it "rings of power" to literally imply that this series is going to show the canonical story of how the rings got made when it is just their own "re-imagining" of the second age more than anything else. And if they had sold it like that up front there wouldn't have been as much push back but they tried so hard to claim otherwise to cash in on people wanting to see some of the canonical stories from the second age actually brought to screen.
    Last edited by InfiniteCharger; 2022-09-25 at 11:59 PM.

  18. #5558
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    That is the biggest problem here in that they tried to claim it was going to be close to canon and true to the source material but all of that was misleading marketing when this series does not have the rights to begin to claim that.
    lol... Still salty about this, are we? I would say that one day you'll figure out that the realities of making adaptations means that this petulant whining could apply to any of them, but I'm not convinced that you have that capacity. A shame.

    Might as well be complaining that there's not enough "woke ideology" in the story, since that's clearly what the marketing led us to believe. And that would be just as stupid a think to say.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2022-09-26 at 12:23 AM.

  19. #5559
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    lol... Still salty about this, are we? I would say that one day you'll figure out that the realities of making adaptations means that this petulant whining could apply to any of them, but I'm not convinced that you have that capacity. A shame.
    So you are saying I am right and salty that this made up story literally isn't even trying to be canonical? And if that is the case then this isn't about the realities of making an adaptation as this literally is not trying to be an adaptation at all which is the point. The only thing I would be salty about is if I believed the misleading marketing trying to claim it was going to be canonical, which I never did to begin with.

    Sounds like you are still stuck on that argument that this is about the complexities of adaptations, when the fact is this literally isn't an adaptation.
    At the end of EVERY episode the series itself says point blank "This production contains dialogue, characters and places that are inspired by, though not contained in, the original source material".

    And that was the whole point of my previous post which is they tried to market this as a literal adaptation of the second age, knowing full well it is completely a made up story that only uses the rights they bought to set it in the 2nd age and call it "rings of power". But it is literally not a prequel to the Lord of the Rings, nor a canonical telling of the events of the second age or how the rings of power were created. But I guess you aren't trying to argue that point now are you?

    Last edited by InfiniteCharger; 2022-09-26 at 12:40 AM.

  20. #5560
    The Unstoppable Force rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    20,069
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    So you are saying I am right and salty that this made up story literally isn't even trying to be canonical?
    How can a made up story be canonical when the entire reason it is made up is because it wasn't in the canon? lol.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •