1. #5681
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It's true. I am unable to bend my style of thinking to the "ignore the bad reviews, keep the good reviews" straddle. Missing mental flexibility, I suppose, that precludes me from enganging in the cranial proctology others seem to so enjoy. Wish I bent that far, but alas...
    When you cant see that a 1/10 review is an obvious troll then maybe your style of thinking is flawed, more ppl tend to just like things regardless of what the hardcore lore fans seem to think, the data proves the show is good so anyone saying otherwise is factually always going to be wrong.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  2. #5682
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    18,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Clearly not ALL the data. You just said RT is inaccurate. Ostensible what you refer to as "all the sources" is more accurate, then?

    Or is this just "yeah it's accurate if we ignore the obvious troll reviews, i.e. the bad ones" all over again, like it always is?
    He is just baiting, he said the exactly same thing like 5 times, not once he put a link to prove his shit

    atm the only thing we got close to an good pool is RT, and that show the audience score is bad, unlike house of the dragon.

    something the score reflect quite well the quality of both shows, i was actually rly surprised of how well done House of the dragon is, and i disliked Got

  3. #5683
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    if its a 1 star or 1/10 its not legit, sorry to burst your bubble but thats just ppl talking BS because they are upset they are not getting what they wanted.
    Are you not reading what's being said and just answering your own questions here?

    As I said, there are plenty of reviews higher than 1/10 which still lower the overall score well below 50%.

    Don't be dumb, but I think that's already too late. You are the Star Citizen guy after all.

  4. #5684
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    You are the Star Citizen guy after all.
    Ahhh, that does explain a LOT.

    Damn, now I feel bad. I don't like to punch down

  5. #5685
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    There was never much hope, just a fools hope...


    sorry couldn't resist :P
    tis okay
    Hope dies last, as they say.


    The recent episode was meh at best, and all the bits with Electrodriel in it were unbearable.
    Observing protohobbits and the Elrond/Durin combo remain two main factors why I'm watching this show.
    Also, the way Numenor solved the issue of 2 ships sinking was superb from my POV.

  6. #5686
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    When you cant see that a 1/10 review is an obvious troll then maybe your style of thinking is flawed, more ppl tend to just like things regardless of what the hardcore lore fans seem to think, the data proves the show is good so anyone saying otherwise is factually always going to be wrong.
    When you cant see that a 10/10 review is an obvious troll then maybe your style of thinking is flawed, more ppl tend to just dislike things regardless of what the hardcore non fans seem to think, the data proves the show is bad so anyone saying otherwise is factually always going to be wrong.

  7. #5687
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    What are you on about, you are talking nonsense, the current data now without anything removed puts the show on average 70% or higher and thats a good mark for most shows, if you removed the BS reviews it would be over 80% easily, your opinion has no weight because the show being good or not is not an opinion its fact backed up by plenty of available data.
    But as usual you have nothing but vague nonsense to support your sad tiresome opinion.

  8. #5688
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Are you saying footnotes etc. are not written?

    Where's that coming from, then? Oral tradition? Which, by the way, YOU CAN TOTALLY MAKE ADAPTATIONS FROM, TOO.


    None of what you are saying precludes the use of adaptation to describe. People have brought up Romeo and Juliet. It's an adaptation itself, and was adapted countless times with new characters, new settings, new events, and new stories.

    You're just wrong saying that.


    "Adapt" is a general, categorical descriptor. It refers to a general category. It doesn't go into detail because it's not a specific term. It's a general term.

    It's like, say, "to film". "I'm filming my kids", "I'm filming a Hollywood movie", and "I'm filming a porno" all use the same general verb "to film" despite it being radically different situations. But that doesn't matter, BECAUSE THAT'S HOW LANGUAGE WORKS.


    Prove that footnotes aren't a story. Explain what IS "a story" in the first place. And explain why you can only adapt "a story".

    None of those things are true.
    Again, this is not an adaptation of a story because there is no complete story of the second age.
    I keep saying this and you keep dancing around this fundamental fact.
    Your attempts to focus on the semantics of the word "adaptation" don't change these facts.
    You can keep repeating yourself and ranting about what is and isn't an adaptation all you want.
    The showrunners themselves have said they are "creating the novel tolkien never wrote".
    Meaning they have been saying all along this is a completely made up story set in Tolkiens universe.
    They aren't calling it an adaptation and the only ones trying to split hairs about it are some folks online grandstanding about a TV show.

  9. #5689
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    Again, this is not an adaptation of a story because there is no complete story of the second age.
    I keep saying this and you keep dancing around this fundamental fact.
    Your attempts to focus on the semantics of the word "adaptation" don't change these facts.
    You can keep repeating yourself and ranting about what is and isn't an adaptation all you want.
    The showrunners themselves have said they are "creating the novel tolkien never wrote".
    Meaning they have been saying all along this is a completely made up story set in Tolkiens universe.
    They aren't calling it an adaptation and the only ones trying to split hairs about it are some folks online grandstanding about a TV show.
    I mean a more honest description would be the novel Tolkien would never of wrote.

  10. #5690
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    Meaning they have been saying all along this is a completely made up story set in Tolkiens universe.
    Change that to "a complete made up story that is coated with a paint of Tolkien's universe but bears no actual resemblence to it"


    If I took your favorite story, took the character names from it, and made a porno with characters with those names who act nothing like the characters from the original story, and then acted indignant when you said I had made a disgrace of the original work and turned it into something crass, lowbrow, and pathetic........ how would you see it?

    That's pretty much how everyone sees ROP

  11. #5691
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Change that to "a complete made up story that is coated with a paint of Tolkien's universe but bears no actual resemblence to it"


    If I took your favorite story, took the character names from it, and made a porno with characters with those names who act nothing like the characters from the original story, and then acted indignant when you said I had made a disgrace of the original work and turned it into something crass, lowbrow, and pathetic........ how would you see it?

    That's pretty much how everyone sees ROP
    Hey!
    You cannot be further f rom truth when you say that!

    I wouldn't wish to watch r34 stuff with ROP characters under no circumstances!
    Unlike OW...

  12. #5692
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    18,971
    Are we glossing over the fact that out of nowhere elves are dying and somehow, they need mithril or they will fucking die, and Durin have to convince his father - and dwarves hate elves generally - that they have to provide the most precious ore to the point ears to save an entire race?

    Is this rly the plot they are making to forge the rings? Cause again, this smells like a fanfic that use Tolkien name, the history is just completely nonsensical to the events from the book.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    Hey!
    You cannot be further f rom truth when you say that!

    I wouldn't wish to watch r34 stuff with ROP characters under no circumstances!
    Unlike OW...
    With all the sexual tension with Galabriel and Not-Sauron i don't doubt this is not possible in the future.

    In fact, back in time a few months ago, it was discussed the show was going to put sex scenes and some people were on board, now we know why despite being something that didn't make sense to be in a Tolkien show, they just bastardized and shit all over it to a point of its not considered Tolkien anymore.

    Which is understandable since they wanted to make their own GOT, but with no good writers

  13. #5693
    Pit Lord rogoth's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    in the land of killer unicrons
    Posts
    2,460
    so after enduring the waterboarding torture that is this show a bit more, why is nobody complaining about the Durin characters?, it's not possible for one 'durin' to be alive at the same time as another 'durin' in the lore, the character of 'durin' is akin to that of king arthur from the the arthurian legend where he is the once and future king of albion (aka england), meaning that durin the deathless is a single entity and awakens in times of great strife and need for the dwarves, so how in the name of all that is holy are there 2 entities calling themselves durin?

  14. #5694
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    so after enduring the waterboarding torture that is this show a bit more, why is nobody complaining about the Durin characters?, it's not possible for one 'durin' to be alive at the same time as another 'durin' in the lore, the character of 'durin' is akin to that of king arthur from the the arthurian legend where he is the once and future king of albion (aka england), meaning that durin the deathless is a single entity and awakens in times of great strife and need for the dwarves, so how in the name of all that is holy are there 2 entities calling themselves durin?
    People talked a lot about it at the start when it was first shown that would be the case. So think the topic is over and done with
    Error 404 - Signature not found

  15. #5695
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,426
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    so after enduring the waterboarding torture that is this show a bit more, why is nobody complaining about the Durin characters?, it's not possible for one 'durin' to be alive at the same time as another 'durin' in the lore, the character of 'durin' is akin to that of king arthur from the the arthurian legend where he is the once and future king of albion (aka england), meaning that durin the deathless is a single entity and awakens in times of great strife and need for the dwarves, so how in the name of all that is holy are there 2 entities calling themselves durin?
    With the compressed Timeline it isn't a big deal. It makes sense for there to be father and son rather then having a non-durin on the throne just for the sake of lore.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-09-27 at 07:07 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  16. #5696
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    You literally said they were "changing race in a bad way"
    Except you didn't understand what I meant or what I was referring to. . you made an assumption it was about skin colour

    I was talking about them changing the elves as a race, from Tolkien, not their skin colour but their behaviour - elves behaving like humans, elves being sneaky and duplicitous - high elves of all things, Galadriel , the main lead ,being nothing like Galadriel in the books or the far better presentation of her in the LotR and the Hobbit.


    Secondly, assume their absence is political.. do you think everything is political - this is about Tolkien's world, portray his world, if you start changing it, especially in ways that reflect current socio-political views that are running rampant in your part of the world, then it seems clear ot me they are changed for those reasons, especially when the changes made all bring it line with such views - i mean, correct me if I'm wrong ? Political.. i spent more time talking about ideology, but political is part of it too I suppose.

  17. #5697
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I was talking about them changing the elves as a race, from Tolkien, not their skin colour but their behaviour - elves behaving like humans, elves being sneaky and duplicitous - high elves of all things, Galadriel , the main lead ,being nothing like Galadriel in the books or the far better presentation of her in the LotR and the Hobbit.
    Did tolkien ever write that elves couldn't be sneaky? Or that they were all beings of pure good morality? Didn't Tolkien specifically say that the difference between Elves and Humans was small?
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-09-27 at 07:56 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  18. #5698
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Except you didn't understand what I meant or what I was referring to. . you made an assumption it was about skin colour

    I was talking about them changing the elves as a race, from Tolkien, not their skin colour but their behaviour - elves behaving like humans, elves being sneaky and duplicitous - high elves of all things, Galadriel , the main lead ,being nothing like Galadriel in the books or the far better presentation of her in the LotR and the Hobbit.


    Secondly, assume their absence is political.. do you think everything is political - this is about Tolkien's world, portray his world, if you start changing it, especially in ways that reflect current socio-political views that are running rampant in your part of the world, then it seems clear ot me they are changed for those reasons, especially when the changes made all bring it line with such views - i mean, correct me if I'm wrong ? Political.. i spent more time talking about ideology, but political is part of it too I suppose.
    I'll take you at your word you were referring to "changing the elves as a race[...]to behav[e] like humans," but that's headcanon, which you're perfectly entitled to, which actually leads me to my next point: every author knows that once they've put their work into the world it's no longer "theirs." People have their own interpretations and takes that may not match up at all with the author's, and no one, including the author, has control over that (I'm not referring to copyrights and legalities here). You don't have to like their take, but they're just as entitled to it as you are to yours. Beyond that, you still haven't addressed what views and messaging you're referring to, so I'm just going to say again:
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    [...]what are these "views" you keep insisting are not being faithful to Tolkein? Because things like strength in diversity and the overlooked and marginalized doing great things when given the chance seem right on brand to me[.]
    Last edited by Levelfive; 2022-09-27 at 07:49 PM.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

  19. #5699
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Are you not reading what's being said and just answering your own questions here?

    As I said, there are plenty of reviews higher than 1/10 which still lower the overall score well below 50%.

    Don't be dumb, but I think that's already too late. You are the Star Citizen guy after all.
    The show is not rated anywhere near below 50% so what are you smoking. The show is rated on IMBD almost a 7/10 and that has a very high amount of reviews for the data to be a little more accurate.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    When you cant see that a 10/10 review is an obvious troll then maybe your style of thinking is flawed, more ppl tend to just dislike things regardless of what the hardcore non fans seem to think, the data proves the show is bad so anyone saying otherwise is factually always going to be wrong.
    You have been proven wrong about WoT being good and you have been proven wrong about RoP also, seems you are unable to actually read basic data in front of your face that constantly proves otherwise. You dont understand one simple concept that many ppl just enjoy things and could quite happily rate something a 10/10 with no problems, however a 1/10 is not accurate for any show, even if the only thing you like about RoP is the visuals that gets the mark off to at least a 3/10 because noone can really complain about the visuals.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    But as usual you have nothing but vague nonsense to support your sad tiresome opinion.
    Whats nonsense about ppl posting reviews and using that data for an average on how good a show is being rated, even the very small percentage of reviewers put the show rated more than high enough to consider it to be good, you are the one talking nonsense since you ignore anything that proves your agenda to be incorrect.

    You just need to accept the simple fact more ppl think the show is good than otherwise, your own opinion doesnt change that.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2022-09-27 at 09:06 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  20. #5700
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    So this is just a thread of people who read LOTR and watched the movies pretending they care about lore. I'm guessing only because they want to show off how much they know? I don't get it, honestly.
    That's the reason I'm here but usually you'll also get two people spending several pages arguing over a tiny incidental detail or the philosophy behind film-making.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •