Page 3 of 489 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    i cant stomach a gandlaf played by other than Ian

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Tolkien’s son didn't like the Lord of the Rings movies, saying “They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25," Christopher says regretfully. "And it seems that The Hobbit will be the same kind of film.".

This could be an opportunity to do it right... at least, in his eyes. Then again, he could just see it as another way to make money off of his father and hate the TV series, as well.

Nah, it's Amazon. No doubt they'll butcher it for whatever a focus group tells them makes the most profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I really hate the lotr movies so hopefully this will do better.

The animated movies I actually liked though.
    Campy musicals the lot of them.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Really, more dragons hobbits and dwarves LOL! Hit that GoTs ending while the iron is hot
    The same people will watch both shows. There's no competition here since the LOTR series will be on Amazon, so it's not in a TV programming timeslot.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    campy musicals the lot of them.
    and doing it right!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    and doing it right!
    If doing it right means awful 80's songs, atrocious voice acting, and painfully stilted constant exposition from Sam then sure.

Why would turning LotR into a B-rate animated musical ever be "doing it right"?

The Witch King sounds like Skeletor for god's sake.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    Care to elaborate?

- - - Updated - - -

I remember watching the behind the scenes stuff of LOTR, and it seemed like everybody was completely thrilled the be doing the movie, and the practical effects were used heavily versus CGI. The Hobbit, to me, just felt like any other bland sci-fi movie.
    Perhaps you should watch the Hobbit's appendixes too, mainly the one where they cover the issues with the filming process. Peter Jackson basically came in late to replace to former director and needed to rush it.

Edit: Nevermind, the guy above me covers it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Yes I did and it is my own opinion and my own taste problem with that buddy?

The Hobbit for sure wasnt perfect but at least they stayed faithful for the most part to the source material books. The first movies cut and changed a lot of things from the source material. And the sound tracks were awesome memorable and iconic in the Hobbit.
    What? The Hobbit changed and cut a fuck ton of things. Just for starters:

Spider and Warg speech. Eagles society. Legolas, Tauriel, etc.

The Lord of the Rings had 12 hours to fit a story of nearly half a million words. The Hobbit is 95,000 words long.

I've read and loved pretty much all of Tolkien's work including everything to do with Middle Earth. The Lord of the Rings was a very well done adaptation which while it did cut quite a lot of details, still managed to do the books justice. The Hobbit movies are just bad.
    Speciation Is Gradual

I'm dreading the inevitable "diversity" agenda's affect on the casting of this series because Tolkien's universe is ethnocentric to northwestern Europe. There are people of color mentioned in Tolkien's works but they live far to the East and the South and Tolkien never wrote stories for them. His stories pertained primarily to the Men of the West, i.e. white people. He set out to write a new mythology for the English people because he had grown quite bored with the prominence of Arthurian legend, so the casting of the series is going to have to respect that unless they're going to take some serious liberties with the lore. The only way I could see a "diversity hire" working is if they base the series on the Second Age, of which little is actually known, and the token black character would have to be a mercenary from the South or something. I'm a huge Idris Elba fan but I don't want to see him playing Aragorn any more than I want to see Mads Mikkelsen playing Shaka Zulu. I know it will probably happen, but I really hope they keep the identity politics out of this series and stay true to the source material.
    Last edited by Wolfman31; 2018-05-15 at 09:16 PM.
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    there will probably never be a Silmarillion movie or show. Tolkeins estate has stated over and over they will never release the rights for it.
    One day there will be a great great great great grand child that will do it finally after forgetting why they shouldn't.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If doing it right means awful 80's songs, atrocious voice acting, and painfully stilted constant exposition from Sam then sure.

Why would turning LotR into a B-rate animated musical ever be "doing it right"?

Because just look at it that thing is glorious! How could is possibly be done any better?

In seriousness I do like the cartoon better but that’s only because I really dislike the live action movie in pretty much every way. Hopefully the show will be better as I like the world just can’t stand the movies.

Hehe...sounds like a ghost from scooby-do

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    There are...people who loved the hobbit movies more than the OG trilogy? That is a fucking travesty.
    Agree, but above your comment is aguy that like the comics more which is Even worse
    We humans have to stick together

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    One day there will be a great great great great grand child that will do it finally after forgetting why they shouldn't.
    It depends on how they decide authorship since it was sort of 'co-written' by two other people. If it is deemed to be written by JRR Tolkien then it enters the public domain in either 2028 or 2044 depending on which copywrite act is used, otherwise it'll be atleast another 70 years.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Sounds like the first season will be about a young Aragorn.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05...young-aragorn/

15+ Year Old Account
    So it's a spin off thing. Not LotR.

I find it ridiculous that they paid 250 million for franchise that doesn't even have much source material. Then they are only doing spin offs of the original story because everyone knows it already.

Why didn't they just pick some other great fantasy series which 99% of population has never read and make a great epic series of that.

Would save probably like 249 million dollars, too.
    Last edited by Puupi; 2018-05-17 at 01:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

15+ Year Old Account
    I swear, if they change his fucking race for the sake of diversity, I’m going to be pissed.
    What's wrong with Barackgorn you silly racist?!
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I swear, if they change his fucking race for the sake of diversity, I’m going to be pissed.
    Or make him female.... hehe

"a pale stern face a pair of keen grey eyes."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    So it's a spin off thing. Not LotR.
    It will be LotR in the same fashion that GoT spin off will be GoT, by public branding. We know and call additional material through their association with the core and most famous products.

Also yeah, I can't wait to see the PC agenda hit the cast of this show.