1. #5981
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Most places don't allow you to leave a review with out a rating. The review is to explain your rating.
    Right, and I never said 'focus on the ratings! Look at how terrible the show is!', so there's no reason for you to attack my comments on that point. You're accusing me of making points that I'm not even caring to make.

    Like I said, you've taken the argument out of context, because I've been clear to illustrate the mere notion that not all low-scored reviews are review bombs.

    You can look on RT right now and find some indepth paragraph explanations of the show with a 1-star review attached to them. To all the people merely dismissing the review because of its low rating would be disregarding a legitimate review in the process. Take time to sift through the reviews instead of merely jumping to a conclusion without taking any time to look into it. The show is clearly getting a mixed reception.

    The two are linked so if one is to determine good or bad then so is the other.
    I can't be blamed for an argument that you're projecting that I have zero intent on supporting. There is no intent in my argument to evaluate Rings of Power being good or bad through its ratings.

    You could also accuse me of advertising Rotten Tomatoes by merely mentioning the site, and it'd be just as much of a pointless projection.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-28 at 08:12 PM.

  2. #5982
    Stood in the Fire Berkilak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Green Chapel
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Did you ever read Tolkien's description of the high elves? and the elves in general? Did you understand or can you grasp what sort of a people they are? There are somethings that Tolkien's race of elves would never do or behave like/
    I mean... Eöl existed. And Maeglin. Not to mention Fëanor, kin to Galadriel, and those who followed him. Not all Elves were the ephemeral enlightened beings you seem to be proposing. Not even the Vanyar.

    And Galadriel herself is noted to be exceptionally prone to wanderlust, athleticism, and ambition. The focus on Sauron is new, but it is still completely in keeping with the Galadriel of the Second Age.

  3. #5983
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    17,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Did you ever read Tolkien's description of the high elves? and the elves in general? Did you understand or can you grasp what sort of a people they are? There are somethings that Tolkien's race of elves would never do or behave like/
    So people that steal boats and holy gems are somehow not "sneaky" or "duplicitous"? Didn't they ostracize ex-captives of Morgoth/Sauron? What about Maeglin who turned traitor in exchange for his crush as a "spoil of war"?

    It is quite clear that Elves are capable of doing "bad" things for lack of a better all encompassing term and it has nothing to do with "modern politics" or "bubbled societies".
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  4. #5984
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Which evidences ? Link plz.
    Can you not look at some reviews, imbd for example its rated a 7.1 with far more ppl rating it highly than otherwise, if a large amount of ppl watch a series then its considered good, its pretty simple logic to follow. Some claim some games are bad but then those games with game of the year awards so its not the game that bad is it.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  5. #5985
    Stood in the Fire Berkilak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Green Chapel
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So people that steal boats and holy gems are somehow not "sneaky" or "duplicitous"? Didn't they ostracize ex-captives of Morgoth/Sauron? Maeglin turned traitor in exchange for his crush as a "spoil of war"?

    It is quite clear that Elves are capable of doing "bad" things for lack of a better all encompassing term and it has nothing to do with "modern politics" or "bubbled societies".
    Yep. The whole point of Galadriel "passing the test" when Frodo offers her the One Ring is to display her growth as a character. The Galadriel of the Second Age would have snatched that ring without hesitation in her ambition to rule over others. That moment wouldn't be significant if it didn't show that she was finally content and was able to overcome her prideful, ambitious nature.

  6. #5986
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Can you not look at some reviews, imbd for example its rated a 7.1 with far more ppl rating it highly than otherwise, if a large amount of ppl watch a series then its considered good, its pretty simple logic to follow. Some claim some games are bad but then those games with game of the year awards so its not the game that bad is it.
    Imdb is owned by Amazon, and they deleted a bunch of reviews (which were mostly review bombing as they were 0/10 and 1/10) but they let the 10/10 reviews (which are non sensical) which inflated the overall score. So do you have better evidences or is it just that ?

  7. #5987
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    the critics are not the audience, the audience give a bad review, see RT as an example, its garbage and they are not liking it
    Critics give a fair assesment without bias, thier review is the most relevant plus more of the actual audience rate the show highly also than not, RT is known to be the worst and least accurate so thats not going to help your case at all, IMBD has many thousands of actual reviews so you can use the data for a more accurate assesment. Reviews also have no real bearing on the actual show or movie anyway it just gives a rough guideline on how many like or dont like something and thats it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Imdb is owned by Amazon, and they deleted a bunch of reviews (which were mostly review bombing as they were 0/10 and 1/10) but they let the 10/10 reviews (which are non sensical) which inflated the overall score. So do you have better evidences or is it just that ?
    If you rate something a 1/10 then that is an obvious fake review and no they didnt just remove all of the low reviews, even the worst shows cant be considered a 1/10 so you dont have anything backing you up.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  8. #5988
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Critics give a fair assesment without bias, thier review is the most relevant plus more of the actual audience rate the show highly also than not, RT is known to be the worst and least accurate so thats not going to help your case at all, IMBD has many thousands of actual reviews so you can use the data for a more accurate assesment. Reviews also have no real bearing on the actual show or movie anyway it just gives a rough guideline on how many like or dont like something and thats it.

    - - - Updated - - -



    If you rate something a 1/10 then that is an obvious fake review and no they didnt just remove all of the low reviews, even the worst shows cant be considered a 1/10 so you dont have anything backing you up.
    And even the best show can't be a 10/10 or a 9/10

  9. #5989
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    And even the best show can't be a 10/10 or a 9/10
    If doesnt work the other way around, ppl can like the show as it is with no problems at all, but to claim a show is a 1/10 is completely false because everything about the show is nowhere near 1/10.

    I could quite happily rate the whole stargate series a 10/10 with no issues because i like it regardless of any issues it might have.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2022-09-28 at 08:20 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  10. #5990
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    If doesnt work the other way around, ppl can like the show as it is with no problems at all, but to claim a show is a 1/10 is completely false because everything about the show is nowhere near 1/10.
    Even the Expanse which I loved (especially the 3 first seasons), I would give 8/10 (because no show is perfect). 10/10 or 9/10 is nonsensical.

  11. #5991
    Stood in the Fire Berkilak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Green Chapel
    Posts
    450
    It's probably worth starting another thread entirely to rant about the credibility (or lack thereof) of review scores.

  12. #5992
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    It's probably worth starting another thread entirely to rant about the credibility (or lack thereof) of review scores.
    I mean it might as well be this one considering how there's literally nothing noteworthy in the plot to talk about :P

  13. #5993
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Even the Expanse which I loved (especially the 3 first seasons), I would give 8/10 (because no show is perfect). 10/10 or 9/10 is nonsensical.
    There is plenty ppl that dont care in the slightest about anything they just want to chill and watch something, most ppl dont care about the worlds lore or acting or stories/plots, if you really like a show then you can give it a 10/10 regardless of issues that may or may not be present. If you hate the show thats fine but anything less than a 3-4/10 is just a troll review in reality.

    If a tv series like stargate becomes your favourite show then you can easily give it a 10/10 regardless of its possible many issues because enjoyment trumps anything bad about it.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  14. #5994
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    There is plenty ppl that dont care in the slightest about anything they just want to chill and watch something, most ppl dont care about the worlds lore or acting or stories/plots, if you really like a show then you can give it a 10/10 regardless of issues that may or may not be present. If you hate the show thats fine but anything less than a 3-4/10 is just a troll review in reality.

    If a tv series like stargate becomes your favourite show then you can easily give it a 10/10 regardless of its possible many issues because enjoyment trumps anything bad about it.
    You're not using a full 'out of 10' scale if you're disregarding the last two digits entirely.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-28 at 08:48 PM.

  15. #5995
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    If doesnt work the other way around, ppl can like the show as it is with no problems at all, but to claim a show is a 1/10 is completely false because everything about the show is nowhere near 1/10.

    I could quite happily rate the whole stargate series a 10/10 with no issues because i like it regardless of any issues it might have.
    If you think 10/10 could be a legit rating for this show, you have to think that 1/10 could be, too.

    If you don't, that's called bias. You're deliberately skewing the data based on personal preconceptions.

    A 1-10 point scale is not a binary like/dislike system. "I give it 10/10 because I like it" is gross misuse of the scale - but even if you were to misuse it like that, it would be just as legitimate as "I give it 1/10 because I DON'T like it". If you claim that one is always legit while the other always isn't, that's bias.

    If you want to sanitize extremes, fine - but if you do it selectively, that's a problem.

  16. #5996
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    You're not using a full 'out of 10' scale if you're disregarding the last two digits entirely.
    And if you are giving a show thats clearly not a 1-2/10 that sort of rating your personal integrity is lacking because you cant give an honest judgement because of personal bias, no show/film is ever liked by everyone, there is always going to be someone that hates it for no good reason.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    If you think 10/10 could be a legit rating for this show, you have to think that 1/10 could be, too.

    If you don't, that's called bias. You're deliberately skewing the data based on personal preconceptions.

    A 1-10 point scale is not a binary like/dislike system. "I give it 10/10 because I like it" is gross misuse of the scale - but even if you were to misuse it like that, it would be just as legitimate as "I give it 1/10 because I DON'T like it". If you claim that one is always legit while the other always isn't, that's bias.

    If you want to sanitize extremes, fine - but if you do it selectively, that's a problem.
    A 1/10 rating is never a real rating, there is virtually no situation where something deserves that low a rating no matter how bad you think a show is. Thats not bias thats simple logic of actually watching the show, if you believe otherwise you are just lying to yourself and thats the plain simple truth. You have nothing to back you up at all.

    A 1/10 rating is done only for spite because you got upset about something, it has nothing to do with anything else about the show.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  17. #5997
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    And if you are giving a show thats clearly not a 1-2/10
    Aren't we clear that these numbers are purely subjective to the individual? You also said it's fine for someone who really likes a show to give a 10/10, even if it clearly doesn't deserve a 10/10, right?

    Why the double standard if someone really doesn't like a show and chooses to give it a low score? They have to settle with a 3 or 4 instead?

    Like, Battlefield Earth is one of the worst movies I've ever seen or came across in my lifetime, and I would easily put it at a 1/10 score on a personal level because of how much I don't like that movie. You're saying that it should actually be a 3/10 instead, why? Because no movie deserves to be 1 or 2?

    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/battlefield_earth

    3% critic rating, 12% audience rating. And you think this should automatically be a 3/10, 30% fresh rating?


    Like I said, you're not using a full 'out of 10' scale if this is the logic you're implying.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-09-28 at 09:32 PM.

  18. #5998
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    A 1/10 rating is never a real rating, there is virtually no situation where something deserves that low a rating no matter how bad you think a show is.
    If that's your position, the reverse HAS to be true, too - that 10/10 is never a real rating, because no matter how good you think a show is it can't deserve a perfect rating.

    If you think that 1/10 can never exist, but 10/10 totally can, then you're biased. Plain and simple.

    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Thats not bias thats simple logic of actually watching the show
    By that exact same token, 10/10 must be equally impossible, for the same reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    A 1/10 rating is done only for spite because you got upset about something, it has nothing to do with anything else about the show.
    And a 10/10 rating is done only for blind adoration because you're oblivious to the shows mistakes, it has nothing to do with anything objective about the show.

    QED, really.

  19. #5999
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Even the Expanse which I loved (especially the 3 first seasons), I would give 8/10 (because no show is perfect). 10/10 or 9/10 is nonsensical.
    As said earlier, if it agrees with his opinion it's valid. If it doesn't agree with his opinion it's invalid.
    Logic was never his forte.

  20. #6000
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Aren't we clear that these numbers are purely subjective to the individual? You also said it's fine for someone who really likes a show to give a 10/10, even if it clearly doesn't deserve a 10/10, right?

    Why the double standard if someone really doesn't like a show and chooses to give it a low score? They have to settle with a 3 or 4 instead?

    Like, Battlefield Earth is one of the worst movies I've ever seen or came across in my lifetime, and I would easily put it at a 1/10 score on a personal level because of how much I don't like that movie. You're saying that it should actually be a 3/10 instead, why? Because no movie deserves to be 1 or 2?

    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/battlefield_earth

    3% critic rating, 12% audience rating. And you think this should automatically be a 3/10, 30% fresh rating?


    Like I said, you're not using a full 'out of 10' scale if this is the logic you're implying.
    The numbers are not subjective, you cant just claim a show is a 1/10 when you can clearly see it isnt, that is just a completely biased BS review, there is an odd cases for things that are actually bad and those are fairly rare especially these days, but RoP is nowhere near a bad show.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •