1. #6021
    Should have put in some of the old game. At least Shelob was eye candy.

  2. #6022
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    16,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Rings of Power was always going to be a scary under taking. I watched Daniel Greene's episode 5 review and he kinda nailed it, the RoP team are basically going off of Glossary information, they don;t have rights for any major Tolkien books so they are trying to give us this grand art piece but they have all this space with no room to put everything on it. Or like Bilbo put it in Fellowship, '...sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread'.
    No... they had enough information to do something, they are just going buck wide with their fanfiction, probably because this was an arlready script they made that everyone with half brain would say it was bad, they just renamed things to Lord of the rings to be aproved

    Its not that they have nothing to work on, its because what they work is rly bad, the writing is awful and the plot is nonsensical.


    I wish they had just gone all out and said F it, the way Shadow of Mordor did, create a new story within the Middle Earth setting, around time chosen, instead of trying to make a puzzle with missing pieces.
    But... thats exactly what they are doing, everything is fucked, i can't name what is the same from the actual history.

    Like, take by example this new obnoxious plot that the elves are actually losing their light, and dying, because darkness is growing cus sauron(despite the darkness being stronger with Morgoth for thousands of years and they were just fine), and now they somehow need mithrill to get their light back or they die

    This is completely new made up shit that make no sense

    Like, how the fuck the elves would bathe in the light of mithril, are they going to squeeze and make juice? smoke like crack? shove in their butts? its going to be enough mithril for the entire elven race? why in the ass dwarves would give two shits about the elves?

    Which leads to my opinion, it should have never been made in the first place. But I guess Amazon needed that money. Tolkien is still a money making franchise and amazon knows it can still make money, with the sacrifice of quality. also coming out around the same time as House of the Dragon isn't helping them either..
    In the hands of competent writers/directors maybe it could be, at least, an enjoyable fantasy show with some fantasy shenanigans, this one can't even do that.

  3. #6023
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    12,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Should have put in some of the old game. At least Shelob was eye candy.
    Is it a hot take to say I hated sexy Shelob lol
    "People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" - Wynne ( Dragon Age: Origins.)

  4. #6024
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Is it a hot take to say I hated sexy Shelob lol
    Nah, lots of people did say that was stupid. Frankly the game was damn good though and they never claimed it to be faithful so in the end that noise kind of disappeared.

    Personally I don't mind either really. If you were to expand on Shelob (have not read the books so just going of the LotR trilogy) I guess what they did is a good direction imo. Makes Shelob more interesting than being a pet spider in some caves near Mordor.

    Just a side note, Spirit of Carnan beats Shelob imo. They could've replaced Shelob in the first game with Carnan for the same role / purpose really. And I really enjoyed Carnan, the voice actress were godly, one of my favorite. But they didn't think of it in the first game I guess.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2022-09-29 at 11:37 AM.

  5. #6025
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    And people can take irredeemable issue with something, too.

    To say one is possible but the other is not, that's basically a textbook definition of bias.


    And... vice versa.

    This goes in both directions.

    Sticking your fingers in your ears and going "nuh-uh, it only works for the positives!" is not a position, it's a temper tantrum.
    The only thing that is bias is giving it a low rating purely on hating something because in your opinion its not tolkien, hes dead we dont know what he would want only what you seem to think.

    The proof of the show being good is clear in all evidence so you cant deny most ppl think its a good show.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Considering you are an apologist for a broken and garbage mess like Star Citizen, it comes as no surprise that you are also an apologist for this piss ass excuse for an attempt at doing something with Tolkien's work. Here's a thought though. People are allowed to criticize something, especially something that horribly misrepresents characters in existing works. The only thing this show has going for it is pretty visuals and passable music, everything else about it is garbage.
    Star Citizen is in a game in active development and still considered better than all other space games available, they never claimed they were doing something of tolkiens work nor do they have all the rights to so if you expected tolkien you only have yourself to blame, he is dead and there wont be anything more from him.

    Even if you think the only good things about the show is the visuals and production that alone makes it good enough to be a 3-4/10 on those merits alone, so a 1/10 rating is not accurate and cant be used as evidence to support it being bad when all the data proves the show is considered to be good.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  6. #6026
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So people that steal boats and holy gems are somehow not "sneaky" or "duplicitous"? Didn't they ostracize ex-captives of Morgoth/Sauron? What about Maeglin who turned traitor in exchange for his crush as a "spoil of war"?

    It is quite clear that Elves are capable of doing "bad" things for lack of a better all encompassing term and it has nothing to do with "modern politics" or "bubbled societies".
    What, or who rather are you defending - their racial portrayal is off and comes off as cheap.

    You are thinking of Tolkien’s work like Warcraft lore - thinking the exception proves a general rule, rather than catching the insight the examples give.

    And Feanor should not be on that list too.

    RoO elves are nothing remarkable they lack the distinctiveness and high attributes the very meaning of the word and Tolkien’s attributes underlie.

    The stuff these guys wrote just doesn’t hold up to the original and their race and character portrayls come off cheap, laden with political and ideological messaging and all round badly written.

    It’s fine for a run of the mill fantasy. Most aren’t anything to write home about and are full of allegory reflecting author’s view that have little remarkable though I do enjoy them for the fantasy they paint. But im under no such illusions their works are literary masterpieces

  7. #6027
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    17,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    You are thinking of Tolkien’s work like Warcraft lore - thinking the exception proves a general rule, rather than catching the insight the examples give.
    The exceptions do prove that you are wrong in your assessment of Elves. It is as simple as that.

    But the Elves are not wholly good or in the right. Not so much because they had flirted with Sauron; as because with or without his assistance they were ‘embalmers’. They wanted to have their cake and eat it: to live in the mortal historical Middle-earth because they had become fond of it (and perhaps because they there had the advantages of a superior caste), and so tried to stop its change and history, stop its growth, keep it as a pleasaunce, even largely a desert, where they could be 'artists’–and they were overburdened with sadness and nostalgic regret. –J.R.R. Tolkien, The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 154
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-09-29 at 03:55 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  8. #6028
    It's alright so far was dissapointed with the first couple episodes but i gets abit better so still have some hope.

    Cant help to compare it to house of dragon though as they both run now but one thing is certain the casting and acting is miles better in hod so far especially after latest episode. Perhaps as it's more realistic (minus the dragons) and dark compared to rop.

    Anyways i hope tomorrow's episode is a good one because there is only so many left of the first season.
    Do you hear the voices too?

  9. #6029
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Again, there is no proof of this, and is just something paranoid conspiracy theorists say.
    There is, and there is.
    If something looks like a duck, tastes like duck and quacks like a duck, it is, most likely, a duck.
    If a huge number of game critics SUDDENLY draw absolutely identical parallels between two games which are not resembling of each other, it is not that difficult to arrive to a singular conclusion, as was with Horizon2:FW and ME2 comparison.

    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Do some studios try and limit access if you give bad reviews? Maybe.
    It's not "maybe".
    You either make a review that follows studio's demands, or your partnership gets terminated, which means, you are not reviewing the game, and not presenting your own thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    and once you get big enough that studios can't ignore you, you don't need to care about what the studio thinks.
    Just like people who get canceled for the slightest of slip of tongue.
    For example, if a certain nostalgic movie critic was a staunch opponent of sjw agenda and propaganda, and suddenly started supporting it, he's either did a 180, which begs the question of why, or is too afraid to say what he wants to say.


    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It's kind of like distrusting scientists as "stooges" during the pandemic.
    No.
    But I must thank you for drawing a comparison.
    That was quite...indicative of you.

  10. #6030
    This thread's really devolved into people trying to define good and bad, right and wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    It's alright so far was dissapointed with the first couple episodes but i gets abit better so still have some hope.

    Cant help to compare it to house of dragon though as they both run now but one thing is certain the casting and acting is miles better in hod so far especially after latest episode. Perhaps as it's more realistic (minus the dragons) and dark compared to rop.

    Anyways i hope tomorrow's episode is a good one because there is only so many left of the first season.
    Honestly I'd say its because stuff actually happens in HoTD.

    We've had like 5 episodes of pure setup (hopefully not 6). 4 and 5 have felt better paced, but there's a lot of storylines that feel like they'ved moved nowhere, while progress in other stories seems to happen off screen.

    Meanwhile HoTD has friendships be forged and destroyed, plots hatched and foiled. Characters introduced, developed, and killed off. Each episode feels like its own chapter with a point.

    Whereas I feel like just about everything in RoP takes 2-3 or more episodes to happens. It also feels like characters often fail a bunch just to have the plot hand them a win with little effort on their part, making all the time leading up to it feel wasted.

    Arondir captured? Spend entire episode trying and failing to escape. Next episode they just let him go anyway as they want him to send a message. How convenient.

    Galadriel needing to convince Numenor for help? Fails for 2 episodes and is about to be sent away via boat until tree saves her. Then takes a third episode to actually leave. Hilariously she actually says she convinced the princess.

    Elrond wants to be friend dwarves again. They're grumpy but just get over it. He does nothing to prove himself, it all depends on their offscreen friendship.

  11. #6031
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    The only thing that is bias is giving it a low rating purely on hating something because in your opinion its not tolkien, hes dead we dont know what he would want only what you seem to think.

    The proof of the show being good is clear in all evidence so you cant deny most ppl think its a good show.
    You realize, though, that this is circular logic?

    "I'm not discounting 10/10 reviews because the high average review score proves this is a good show, therefore those are legit reviews".

  12. #6032
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    You realize, though, that this is circular logic?

    "I'm not discounting 10/10 reviews because the high average review score proves this is a good show, therefore those are legit reviews".
    If you cant follow simple logic there is no helping you, there are many ppl who are happy with the show as it stands and therfor a high review is legit, however no matter how bad you think the show might be not all its aspects warrant a 1/10 review so therfor those low reviews are not legit and only based in pure hate, you just need a little common sense and logic.

    The only problem you and others are having with the show is you think its not tolkien enough for LOTRs, that doesnt matter in the slightest if it is or not because it was never going to be that regardless, newsflash most ppl dont care about the books and the tv show is more than good enough.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  13. #6033
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    If you cant follow simple logic there is no helping you, there are many ppl who are happy with the show as it stands and therfor a high review is legit, however no matter how bad you think the show might be not all its aspects warrant a 1/10 review so therfor those low reviews are not legit and only based in pure hate, you just need a little common sense and logic.
    what aspects, therefore, warrant a 10/10 ?

  14. #6034
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    If you cant follow simple logic there is no helping you, there are many ppl who are happy with the show as it stands and therfor a high review is legit, however no matter how bad you think the show might be not all its aspects warrant a 1/10 review so therfor those low reviews are not legit and only based in pure hate, you just need a little common sense and logic.

    The only problem you and others are having with the show is you think its not tolkien enough for LOTRs, that doesnt matter in the slightest if it is or not because it was never going to be that regardless, newsflash most ppl dont care about the books and the tv show is more than good enough.
    Newsflash a lot more people care about the books than this drek. LoTR has sold over 150 MILLION copies not even close lol.

  15. #6035
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    17,008
    The Nielsen ratings are out. The show had 1,235 million minutes viewed for 8/29-9/4 and two episodes. https://www.nielsen.com/top-ten/#streaming
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  16. #6036
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Newsflash a lot more people care about the books than this drek. LoTR has sold over 150 MILLION copies not even close lol.
    Book is very old and its not one single book so the number of fans is much lower than you seem to think it is, compared to 200 million plus ppl on amazon prime that can watch the tv series.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    what aspects, therefore, warrant a 10/10 ?
    Everything about it can warrant an easy 10/10 rating, i have no issues at all with the series apart from there wont be enough of it.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  17. #6037
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post


    Everything about it can warrant an easy 10/10 rating, i have no issues at all with the series apart from there wont be enough of it.
    Oh.

    Ok then.
    Everything about it can warrant an easy 1/1 rating, I have a lot of issues with these series from casting to plot to pacing to acting to forced diversity to sodomization of primary source.

  18. #6038
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The Nielsen ratings are out. The show had 1,235 million minutes viewed for 8/29-9/4 and two episodes. https://www.nielsen.com/top-ten/#streaming
    so sub 11 million people watched assuming 100% retention for 2 episodes

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Book is very old and its not one single book so the number of fans is much lower than you seem to think it is, compared to 200 million plus ppl on amazon prime that can watch the tv series.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Everything about it can warrant an easy 10/10 rating, i have no issues at all with the series apart from there wont be enough of it.
    Except 200 million aren't watching it stop trolling. Nielsen numbers were posted and your max assuming 100% retention was less than 11 million lol

  19. #6039


    Sad but true

  20. #6040
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    so sub 11 million people watched assuming 100% retention for 2 episodes

    - - - Updated - - -



    Except 200 million aren't watching it stop trolling. Nielsen numbers were posted and your max assuming 100% retention was less than 11 million lol
    Not everyone watches the series as soon as its released so it will get many more millions of ppl watching over time, week by week statistics dont really mean anything, the book sales didnt happen in a week they happened over decades, also each view is not always going to be just one person watching it.

    Also doesnt nielson only cover the US and not the whole world.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    Oh.

    Ok then.
    Everything about it can warrant an easy 1/1 rating, I have a lot of issues with these series from casting to plot to pacing to acting to forced diversity to sodomization of primary source.
    You are just lying to yourself if you believe everything about it warrants a 1 rating because you clearly cant rate the visuals and production value of the film that low no matter what integrity you lack, the show is good plain and simple and everything available proves that always to be true.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2022-09-29 at 10:44 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •