1. #6281
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    There is, and you can always say you disagree.
    Before I disagree, are you saying all flashbacks are objectively bad?

    And you would say definitively that Rings of Power is objectively bad for having Galadriel flashbacks in the first 10 minutes of the first episode, as well as the Two Towers with the Smeagol flashbacks?

    If you are saying this, then yes I absolutely 100% disagree.

  2. #6282
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Don't bother. He will argue that black is white even when he has already posted evidence to the contrary. He's spent years defending Star Citizen, that's all you need to know.
    You have been proven you were wrong simple as that, all the information backs me just because you cant admit you were completely wrong, just goes to show what lack of integrity you have. You have no evidence backing you, even the one single article doesnt back you up but several articles of information back my information up.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  3. #6283
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Before I disagree, are you saying all flashbacks are objectively bad?
    And you would say definitively that Rings of Power is objectively bad for having Galadriel flashbacks in the first 10 minutes of the first episode, as well as the Two Towers with the Smeagol flashbacks?
    If you are saying this, then yes I absolutely 100% disagree.
    I've already said it in a post you've ignored or omitted. I never said flashbacks are bad; flashbacks have plenty of uses. I've said that introducing a main character late into the story by the way of flashbacks is bad. It's on the previous page.

  4. #6284
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    I've already said it in a post you've ignored or omitted. I never said flashbacks are bad; flashbacks have plenty of uses. I've said that introducing a main character late into the story by the way of flashbacks is bad. It's on the previous page.
    What does that even mean? There is no objective literary standard for defining such a thing.

    Can you give an example of any characters in fiction that were introduced this way that are considered objectively bad?



    And I'm not saying that he needs to be introduced through flashbacks, I said he could be introduced as a new character for Season 2, with his connections to the Southlands being revealed in flashbacks. For example, use the Prison scenes in the tunnels and first meeting Adar as a means of giving Arondir depth to his actions and motivations.

    Gollum had flashback scenes in the beginning of Return of the King through Smeagol flashbacks the same way to build on his character progression and backstory.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-05 at 05:04 PM.

  5. #6285
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    There is no objective literary standard for defining such a thing.
    It is common advice for novice writers to avoid using flashbacks. A flashback should be used to offer context and development of existing things. A main character should already be introduced prior to a flashback. The flashback should be offering context about the "present day". While there is no governing body writing laws on the subject there are still standards of writing.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  6. #6286
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It is common advice for novice writers to avoid using flashbacks. A flashback should be used to offer context and development of existing things. A main character should already be introduced prior to a flashback. The flashback should be offering context about the "present day". While there is no governing body writing laws on the subject there are still standards of writing.
    Yeah totally agree. And I never intended to put that message across.

    To be honest I re-read my message and see where the misunderstanding lies.

    and introduce a more prominent Arondir character for S2 with some flashback scenes for context

    I should have put a comma after 'introduce a more prominent Arondir character for S2'. I'll own up to this misunderstanding as my bad.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-05 at 05:10 PM.

  7. #6287
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Again, if you do, I 100% disagree.
    That's fine, we've already established it's 100% ok to disagree (not that it required any establishing). And no, I won't be giving examples; I'm really not THAT invested in this thread, nor I wish to be. But shortly on topic of flashbacks, yes, in general, introducing main character late by the way of flashbacks IS, most of the time, a bad (or very bad) idea. It's a widely accepted consensus that flashbacks should be used only when absolutely necessary (and when it moves the plot forward - not only the flashback story, but also the "act of flashbacking", so to speak ). Therefore, it's rather difficult to build a detailed backstory of a main character by a way of flashbacks if you introduce him/her late. You can argue that Arondir doesn't need much of a backstory anyway, but that's conjecture. We don't know, and I personally enjoy his arc.

  8. #6288
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    That's fine, we've already established it's 100% ok to disagree (not that it required any establishing). And no, I won't be giving examples; I'm really not THAT invested in this thread, nor I wish to be. But shortly on topic of flashbacks, yes, in general, introducing main character late by the way of flashbacks IS, most of the time, a bad (or very bad) idea. It's a widely accepted consensus that flashbacks should be used only when absolutely necessary (and when it moves the plot forward - not only the flashback story, but also the "act of flashbacking", so to speak ). Therefore, it's rather difficult to build a detailed backstory of a main character by a way of flashbacks if you introduce him/her late. You can argue that Arondir doesn't need much of a backstory anyway, but that's conjecture. We don't know, and I personally enjoy his arc.
    I'll say I re-read my original statement and want to clarify that it should have read as such:

    and introduce a more prominent Arondir character for S2, with some flashback scenes for context

    If Arondir is meant to be an important character in the upcoming seasons, then my point is they could still introduce him starting at S2 while still having his current (S1) backstory in tact through means of flashback scenes dedicated to showing key ties to the Southlands and the Watchtower. Otherwise, mere exposition does the same job, as I've explained with Halbrand. I'm not invested in the example either, I just want to clarify my original message.

    For example it would be introducing a more dour and veteran Arondir character for S2 (who's been through some shit) who is now leading a group of Silvan Elves that's returned to the Southlands. And to build on his motivations and connections to the Southlands, in one of the later episodes we have a flashback sequence of him in the prison tunnels with Adar or watching his fellow Elves being slaughtered. That's it. I think that would suffice instead of having an entire season dedicated to his character, which IMO hasn't really developed all that much or added much to the show.

    He's a fun character, don't get me wrong, but I don't see him necessary to the plot. And the first 4 episode's pacing is so awkward and bloated that I would definitely stand by my opinion that I think certain story elements or entire POV arcs could be cut or condensed down with editing.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-05 at 05:24 PM.

  9. #6289
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I'll say I re-read my original statement and want to clarify that it should have read as such:

    and introduce a more prominent Arondir character for S2, with some flashback scenes for context

    If Arondir is meant to be an important character in the upcoming seasons, then my point is they could still introduce him starting at S2 while still having his current backstory relevance in tact through means of flashback scenes dedicated to showing key ties to the Southlands and the Watchtower. Otherwise, mere exposition does the same job, as I've explained with Halbrand. I'm not invested in the example either, I just want to clarify my original message.
    One can always argue that since those flashbacks won't be necessary for s2, it will make for a better season :P And since they had to introduce the Southlands plot anyway, having Arondir there doesn't hurt. As you've said yourself, with or without him, it would be a similar story (so not much would change in terms of pacing), but at least for s2, he will be fleshed out and the flow of s2 won't have to be interrupted. Tadaaa!

  10. #6290
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    One can always argue that since those flashbacks won't be necessary for s2, it will make for a better season :P And since they had to introduce the Southlands plot anyway, having Arondir there doesn't hurt. As you've said yourself, with or without him, it would be a similar story (so not much would change in terms of pacing), but at least for s2, he will be fleshed out and the flow of s2 won't have to be interrupted. Tadaaa!
    The real question though is if nobody is watching S2 who is going to care about his increased role? The show appears to be getting worse ratings every episode and is likely hemorrhaging viewers. I don't they can pull off the absolute awfulness of rafe of time's "finale" but we will see.

  11. #6291
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    One can always argue that since those flashbacks won't be necessary for s2, it will make for a better season :P And since they had to introduce the Southlands plot anyway, having Arondir there doesn't hurt. As you've said yourself, with or without him, it would be a similar story (so not much would change in terms of pacing), but at least for s2, he will be fleshed out and the flow of s2 won't have to be interrupted. Tadaaa!
    I'd agree all except the point of pacing.

    My entire point is that the pacing could improve with the omission of the entire Watchtower Elves and Watchtower subplot. It would increase the pace which we get the plot moved forward in the first 5 episodes if chunks were edited out or condensed down into say just 2-3 episodes, and have the brunt of it focused on Galadriel's plotline instead (which I regard is the main plot of the series even though I find it bland and uninteresting).

    Arguably, cutting the Harfoot arc entirely might be even better for the pacing, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make that conclusion yet considering the entire Stranger subplot is still steeped in mystery. I can say this about Arondir and the Watchtower Elves because for the most part, the entire arc was fairly predictable in how it was going to eventually intertwine with Galadriel's arc (especially if you followed Teaser footage). I don't think my assessment was wrong about the Watchtower being a contrived setting that ended up being less relevant to the overall plot than it should have been. Again, stuff we already went over so I will refrain from beating a dead horse.

  12. #6292
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    If Arondir is meant to be an important character in the upcoming seasons, then my point is they could still introduce him starting at S2 while still having his current (S1) backstory in tact through means of flashback scenes dedicated to showing key ties to the Southlands and the Watchtower. .
    Functionally that is no different then what they did so far. They just incorporated any flashback into the "present day" story because it aligned with what they were telling at the time. Later flashbacks would need to set up proper context for why it is important to show where as "present day" doesn't need any setup because it flows naturally as part of the story. Talking to Adar, watching his elves be slaughtered would just be filler. It doesn't offer much character development that is related to "Coming back to fight evil". We already know that the elves oppose "evil" that it doesn't need to be set up, right? Wouldn't those flashbacks be a chekov's gun scenario?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    The real question though is if nobody is watching S2 who is going to care about his increased role? The show appears to be getting worse ratings every episode and is likely hemorrhaging viewers. I don't they can pull off the absolute awfulness of rafe of time's "finale" but we will see.
    The highest rated episode is the last one. People will watch Season 2.

    - - - Updated - - -

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...-2-1235233124/

    A new article is out that has some insight to a few things. It even claims that Amazon paid less then $250 million and that price tag was the offer from Netflix. The Tolkien Estate didn't like how Netflix was going to go a MCU route.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  13. #6293
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Functionally that is no different then what they did so far. They just incorporated any flashback into the "present day" story because it aligned with what they were telling at the time. Later flashbacks would need to set up proper context for why it is important to show where as "present day" doesn't need any setup because it flows naturally as part of the story. Talking to Adar, watching his elves be slaughtered would just be filler. It doesn't offer much character development that is related to "Coming back to fight evil". We already know that the elves oppose "evil" that it doesn't need to be set up, right? Wouldn't those flashbacks be a chekov's gun scenario?
    The thing about it is pacing.

    S1's first 4-5 episodes are mired by too many POV plotlines to follow and having too much of the focus spread around. My opinion is that it could all be trimmed down for the sake of getting to the point of the main plot - that of Galadriel's storyline and the eventual eruption of Mount Doom.

    If the Watchtower (and Watchtower Elves) in S1 is really necessary for future events, then I'm saying keep what's necessary and merely present it in flashback form. Otherwise, trim the fat. Did we need the entire Watchtower subplot for Mount Doom to erupt? I would argue that it wasn't necessary because they did a poor job of setting it up for the payoff narratively; there was a massive disconnect between having a Watchtower there in the Southlands and knowing that it was the 'key' to making Mount Doom erupt. I'll even go as far as saying I didn't even know the Traitor was at the ruins of the watchtower when he 'turned the key', I only realized it upon repeat viewings. I still don't fully understand the connection between the Watchtower and Mount Doom, like why is this ultimate plan even seeded in this Elven watchtower? The show certainly hasn't explained it prior to it happening.

    And like I said, if we all regard talking to Adar is just filler in the context of S2 which already moves past it, then yeah, cut it entirely. I say this in the context of 6 eps so far, since I still don't know what they plan to do to conclude Arondir's interactions with Adar. In my opinion, we got what we needed out of Adar through Galadriel's interrogation scene (which was brilliant, btw).

    I'll be just as fine if Arondir were introduced in S2 the same way Halbrand was introduced in S1. Just there, given a present context to the fight against evil, given a brief backstory through exposition, and otherwise everything moves forward with his connections to the main plot. No filler please.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-05 at 05:52 PM.

  14. #6294
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    So they killed her? Elves are just as killable as humans, so a volcano would kill her right?

    I assume she did that to save the people who were fleeing in some way to protect them from the exploding volcano and died to save the lives of others?

    So she's dead? They are moving on to a new protagonist?
    Nope. Galadriel is too badass to die like that. She's going to straight up tank all that volcano fire blasts while standing still, and it's going to look awesooome!

  15. #6295
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    You have been proven you were wrong simple as that, all the information backs me just because you cant admit you were completely wrong, just goes to show what lack of integrity you have. You have no evidence backing you, even the one single article doesnt back you up but several articles of information back my information up.
    Which information ? Which evidence ? Dribbles's level evidences ?

  16. #6296
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    The thing about it is pacing.
    Right. Why interrupt the pacing of Season 2 with flashbacks that hold little relevance when you can attach it to Season 1 with little impact on pacing? The Watchtower and it's elves is increasing the scope of what we are talking about. The Watchtower isn't Elven. It was an existing structure that the elves repurposed. Hence why it had a Sauron related imagery that the Elves let vines cover up. The show didn't need to explain Sauron's plan prior to. This is again an instance of you saying filler is required while at the same time saying that filler is not required. It shows a grudge against Arondir that anything to do with him is filler you don't want. While things like Sauron's plan need to have filler. Or Halbrand doesn't need filler (even Arondir if introduced the same).

    We saw the effects of the plan of Sauron. Trenches and tunnels dug. A key hidden by generations of once servants. A tower with a hidden purpose. It explained all that is needed.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  17. #6297
    The Unstoppable Force
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    23,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    So they killed her? Elves are just as killable as humans, so a volcano would kill her right?

    I assume she did that to save the people who were fleeing in some way to protect them from the exploding volcano and died to save the lives of others?

    So she's dead? They are moving on to a new protagonist?
    Yes they killed her, since she’s not important to the rest of the story nor the movies….

    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  18. #6298
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    This is again an instance of you saying filler is required
    I never considered the Southlander's story to be filler. I think I've been clear to make a separate case to say Bronwyn and Theo's storyline could be kept relevent, just compressed to be more focused on the main plot points.

    The Watchtower having to crumble by Arondir's doing and trapping the Orcs is what I consider to be filler, as well as the first two episodes establishing the Elves being at the Watchtower and patrolling the villages. I think those aren't necessary to the plot, because Arondir himself doesn't have a direct connection to the Mt. Doom event.

    The Watchtower being a setting that they took refuge in and having Theo see the statue could still work as part of the Southlander arc. If you actually pay attention to the greater plot, everything is happening around Theo . The main Southlander plot centers around Theo's actions, since he is the one who finds the hilt, the one who the Orcs in the Tunnels are looking for, the one who inadvertently leads the Orcs to the Watchtower, the one who sees the Statue at the watchtower, the one who gives up the hilt to Adar.

    My observation and opinion is that Arondir isn't necessary to tell Theo's story.

    We saw the effects of the plan of Sauron. Trenches and tunnels dug. A key hidden by generations of once servants. A tower with a hidden purpose. It explained all that is needed.
    If all that could literally be explained in the moment that Traitor dude turned the key, then really we don't need to spend the past 5 episodes establishing those things through most of Arondir's arc. You literally summed this all up in the 3 minute montage leading up to Mt. Doom's eruption.

    The trenches and tunnels and the sword being hidden were literally the only thing established prior to the explosion. The tower having a hidden purpose and the sword being a key and the 'effects of the plan of Sauron' is only revealed by those last moments leading to the eruption. I'd argue that most of it is still left unexplained, though we still have 2 episodes left.

    I'll give you that the Statue at the Watchtower was a cool hint.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-05 at 06:59 PM.

  19. #6299
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    As for the Watchtower being older than the Elves and having been repurposed by them, I don't remember this being set up in the plot at all. It's all implied with the vines and shit, but it doesn't actually explain if the Watchtower was built by the Elves or not or that they repurposed it.
    So Elves just built in a weird tribute to Sauron? The implication you remember is the same thing you say you don't remember. Is it wrong to have speculated the elves built the tower? No. Did the show explain they didn't? Yes, through unfolding story. The trivia for Episode 5 further states it was built by Humans that served Morgoth in the Elder Days. Of course trivia isn't "the show" to nip that bud.

    Of course they could just have trenches, tunnels, and what not "appear out of nowhere" for the sake of the story. Isn't that the same problem you and/or others have stated with Galadriel "teleporting" to the area? That things that happen on the show were not properly set up? We see the setup and story that leads to Mt. Doom. The only problem with that arc is that it wasn't the cliff hanger series finale. It's thunder is stolen a little bit by now having two more episodes of "story". What could be more climatic then a volcano?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  20. #6300
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So Elves just built in a weird tribute to Sauron? The implication you remember is the same thing you say you don't remember. Is it wrong to have speculated the elves built the tower? No. Did the show explain they didn't? Yes, through unfolding story. The trivia for Episode 5 further states it was built by Humans that served Morgoth in the Elder Days. Of course trivia isn't "the show" to nip that bud.
    To be fair, as a casual watcher of the show I didn't know the significance of the statue at the reveal and just thought it odd that the Elves would have a Sauron statue at the watchtower. I didn't make the connection that the watchtower was older than the Elves being there or that the human servants built it. So I can't say that I personally made that connection at the time of the reveal, not sure how obvious it may have been to others.

    Of course they could just have trenches, tunnels, and what not "appear out of nowhere" for the sake of the story. Isn't that the same problem you and/or others have stated with Galadriel "teleporting" to the area? That things that happen on the show were not properly set up? We see the setup and story that leads to Mt. Doom. The only problem with that arc is that it wasn't the cliff hanger series finale. It's thunder is stolen a little bit by now having two more episodes of "story". What could be more climatic then a volcano?
    I agree, it would be a perfect season finale cliffhanger. I'm not sure how they want to follow it up really, as I might not expect an entire 2 episodes dedicated to just the Elrond/Durin arc and the Harfoots. Will see.


    As for the tunnels and trenches, again I would have no problems if they had a couple Orc PoV scenes just to establish the bad guys. I said so even as far back as ep.3 regarding this criticism of the Elves at the watchtower. They could just condense the arc to following Bronwyn/Theo, interspersed with some Orc scenes showing them making the tunnels and revealing Adar. I mean just keeping the entire prison tunnel subplot to just showing Adar enslaving the humans to make the tunnels and having an establishing shot show how vast the network of tunnels spans is more than enough to establish its importance. We'd still be under the impression that they're looking for the hilt. I don't think the Elves being captured and planning an escape was necessary to show the tunnel network. It could have been condensed.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-05 at 07:36 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •