1. #6601
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    I understand the context perfectly you made abunch of nonsense claims about how no one was talking about the show even saying “look at the last 10 pages no one is talking about it” you were wrong and then thought you saw an change to cross your arms and say you were right and when pushed on that you resorted to saying comparing characters from a show doesn’t actually mean your talking about the show as if the characters are just ideas floating in the air not actually linked to any thing.
    Er, I hadn't replied to you on that exchange because it was literally a long weekend here and I literally just caught up with the goings on in the thread.

    If you want to carry on that exchange, then sure, I can merely brush off what you listed as being the 30% talk about the show while 70% is still talking about stuff around the show. Just like it happens to be in most other threads here.

    And most of what you posted consists of how many posts overall in the 10 pages you sifted through? It's usually a few posts talking about it, then the conversation ends quick.

    And Nielsen ratings discussions are only partially talking about the show, considering much of the back and forth in that was about how the system works or is flawed or how people are using the data incorrectly, more than actually applying it to the show. But hey, if you think that's all related to the show, then I'll agree to disagree with you on this front. Just like I don't think the Rey/Carol Danvers thing is really related to the show at all either. I disagree that it is relevant to discussing the show, because I think the show's problems are unique to itself.

    Hell, this exchange right now is not about the show either. But I'm sure we will also disagree on this point.

    -edit-
    And again, I made that original comment because like 10 different people all jumped into that same topic, throwing out comments that weren't relevant to the show at all. And it all sourced to one throwaway bad example that was intentionally opinionated for the sake of externalizing the argument. This is even confirmed a couple posts below. The whole ordeal is about diversity criticisms, not anything specific to RoP.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-11 at 05:33 PM.

  2. #6602
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Not sure why people are bringing Rey and Carol Danvers into this at all.

    It's like people aren't even talking about the show any more. Weird.
    I explained why I made the comparison. Those characters are routinely mocked as being forced into stories for the sake of diversity. If we're going to pretend a large portion of the criticism these shows get isn't due to this fact then you're simply not being honest about the nature of this 300+ page thread.
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  3. #6603
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I can't back up a claim I didn't make. You know exactly what comments of yours started this tangent so I'm not sure why you are now asking for a quote or playing dumb. Of course I've read what has been discussed in regards to the quality of the show. I haven't said that there was none of that so again this inquiry of yours is silly and based only in your head. What I said was to focus on that rather then comments about stuff you said wouldn't make an adaptation bad.
    None of that?
    As in, you disagree that there are some underlying problems with Rings of Poo regarding acting, dialogues, plot?

    Thank you for quoting me, but I do not see how these two quotes have anything to do with your very based accusation of me starting a tangent.
    If you want to discuss the show and it's pros and cons, I would very much like and invite you to do so.

  4. #6604
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    I explained why I made the comparison. Those characters are routinely mocked as being forced into stories for the sake of diversity. If we're going to pretend a large portion of the criticism these shows get isn't due to this fact then you're simply not being honest about the nature of this 300+ page thread.
    I'm not pretending anything.

    I'm aware that a large portion of the criticism these shows get are purely predicated on the diversity topic, most of which happened before the show even came out. But I'm not sure why this is making its rounds again oddly enough, since it was quite a dead horse for about a solid month or show as the show reached its current episodes. Can't say I've been paying attention too closely to all the bullshit that happens here, there's only so much bullshit I can keep track of really.

  5. #6605
    Serious question for those who keep defending the lack of anything happening of import going into the final episode do you have infinite time on your hands? Most of us have limited time if a show can't hook you in the first six hours which is basically the run time of two lotr movies why in the world would people continue to watch it. You keep claiming the story is barely starting the first season is basically done at this point in the LoTR trilogy we are at the prep for the battle of Helm's deep possibly slightly further.

  6. #6606
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    24,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    If you want to carry on that exchange, then sure, I can merely brush off what you listed as being the 30% talk about the show while 70% is still talking about stuff around the show. Just like it happens to be in most other threads here.

    And most of what you posted consists of how many posts overall in the 10 pages you sifted through? It's usually a few posts talking about it, then the conversation ends quick.
    That was from just five pages and with a quick glance through excluding the page that is mostly our back and forth each page has 4-6 post truly unrelated to the show out of the default layout of 19 post per page.

    But given that you think comparing characters from the show isn’t actually talking about the show I’m willing to bet you could up that number to what ever you wanted by just saying it’s all talking around the show.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  7. #6607
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    That was from just five pages and with a quick glance through excluding the page that is mostly our back and forth each page has 4-6 post truly unrelated to the show out of the default layout of 19 post per page.

    But given that you think comparing characters from the show isn’t actually talking about the show I’m willing you could up that number to what ever you wanted by just saying it’s all talking around the show.
    We're on page 341 and barely any discussion of the actual content of the show happened in the past 15 pages. Like, legitimate discussion, and not just some tangential thing about ratings or a mention of Galadriel being compared to Rey.

    Like, I'll even be frank with you. I don't see the show's content being talked about, as an episode-basis, as much as I see other things being talked about just random other things. I don't consider ratings talks, or comparisons of Galadriel to Rey and Carol for the sake of trivializing the criticisms as being a product of anti-diversity 'hatespeech' as being related to the show. If you're seeing the glass half full here then I'm just gonna say I express my views through my subjective lens and agree to disagree with you here, and will continue to express my views freely without further acknowledging that the glass is half full here. Cuz I consider the odd mention of a harfoot to be an exception rather than the rule.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-11 at 05:45 PM.

  8. #6608
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    24,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Serious question for those who keep defending the lack of anything happening of import going into the final episode do you have infinite time on your hands? Most of us have limited time if a show can't hook you in the first six hours which is basically the run time of two lotr movies why in the world would people continue to watch it. You keep claiming the story is barely starting the first season is basically done at this point in the LoTR trilogy we are at the prep for the battle of Helm's deep possibly slightly further.
    People a fair amount of the people defending the show likely enjoy it. so the real question is if you don’t have Infintine time on your hands wht are you watching and talking about a show you don’t enjoy?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    We're on page 341 and barely any discussion of the actual content of the show happened in the past 15 pages. Like, legitimate discussion, and not just some tangential thing about ratings or a mention of Galadriel being compared to Rey.

    Like, I'll even be frank with you. How often do you have actual episodic discussion here compared to arguments about something completely unrelated to what happened in the episodes?
    Ha thanks for proving me right that you’d just up the number to what ever you wanted.

    But your right only “ legitimate actual episodic discussion‘s” count as talking about a show now, lol.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-10-11 at 05:46 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  9. #6609
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Ha thanks for proving me right that you’d just up the number to what ever you wanted.

    But your right only “ legitimate actual episodic discussion‘s” count as talking about a show now, lol.
    That's been my point from the beginning. Talking about the episodes. Because you made a statement suggesting the popularity and activity of this thread being indicative to the success of the show in some roundabout way, when most of the posts here don't really have anything to do with discussing its actual episodic content.

    And what? You expect me to say zero talk about the show has happened in the past 15 pages? Cuz an episode did come out within that time frame and I'm not delusional :P It exists, in the minority of discussion. And I'm not assed to do the math on a thread that I know doesn't have much episodic discussion in it to begin with.

    Like I equated it before, it's like the She-hulk thread getting boosted constantly to the front. Most of the posts in that thread that I can take a quick glance at aren't about the show either, they're usually talking about something completely unrelated. Mostly diversity issues in that thread too.

    It doesn't mean the thread has a lot of activity because people are actually talking about the show, it's because these shows have an indirect way of bringing about controversial topics which get argued constantly and pointlessly.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-11 at 05:59 PM.

  10. #6610
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    24,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    That's been my point from the beginning. Talking about the episodes. Because you made a statement suggesting the popularity and activity of this thread being indicative to the success of the show in some roundabout way, when most of the posts here don't really have anything to do with discussing its actual episodic content.

    And what? You expect me to say zero talk about the show has happened in the past 15 pages? Cuz an episode did come out within that time frame and I'm not delusional :P
    Ah yes that was your point from the start which is why your just now changing from “talk” about the show to “legitimate actual episodic discussion‘s“.

    Pull the other one it’s got bells on.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  11. #6611
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Ah yes that was your point from the start which is why your just now changing from “talk” about the show to “legitimate actual episodic discussion‘s“.

    Pull the other one it’s got bells on.
    Yes because the first thing I replied to you on was about your comment:

    'This thread has gotten like 20 pages in a week, even if it’s twice as lively as the general talk around the show that’s a lot of people talking about it.'

    And I was making a point that most of the talk isn't even about the show. Most of the posts here are about arguments beyond the show. At the time, I used the example of people criticizing the show, and other people criticizing the critics, namely because I thought this whole diversity bullshit was behind us. Guess not. We've circled back to Rey and Carol Danvers and diversity criticism while I was a away for the weekend :P

    But hey, since you think this is still talking about the show then yeah, we disagree on the same shit. If you didn't understand my point then yea, I could see how you think I was changing my message when I use a different example to reinforce the same point. Can't see the forest for the trees.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-11 at 06:12 PM.

  12. #6612
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    24,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Yes because the first thing I replied to you on was about your comment:

    'This thread has gotten like 20 pages in a week, even if it’s twice as lively as the general talk around the show that’s a lot of people talking about it.'

    And I was making a point that most of the talk isn't even about the show. Most of the posts here are about arguments beyond the show. At the time, I used the example of people criticizing the show, and other people criticizing the critics, namely because I thought this whole diversity bullshit was behind us. Guess not. We've circled back to Rey and Carol Danvers and diversity criticism while I was a away for the weekend :P
    Ah yes because of course this reply about talk about the show was really about the lack of “legitimate actual episodic discussion‘s“.

    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Most of which is people criticizing the show and people criticizing the critics

    Don't think there's been much praising overall. Just people being defensive saying the show isn't as bad as people think, or some blanket 'the show is good because many people are watching it' response.

    Echo chamber of a thread really.
    Are you even trying to convince any one at this point, like you can’t even be fooling your self with this right?
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  13. #6613
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Ah yes because of course this reply about talk about the show was really about the lack of “legitimate actual episodic discussion‘s“.
    Are you even trying to convince any one at this point, like you can’t even be fooling your self with this right?
    Yes, because my whole point is the majority of the posts in this thread are not actually about the show. As in, discussion on the episodic content.

    You've been laser focused on arguing that there are plenty of posts that relate to the show through means of technicalities (your full list), which is splitting hairs and not addressing the main point I've made - that a majority of posts in this very thread aren't actually talking about the show.

    How many posts are we spending right now in this back and forth? This is what MOST discussions in this threads are filled with. We aren't even talking about the show right now, you realize this right?

    You realize in the past 2 pages, much of it is people spending it on back-and-forth discussions like this is happening right now, right? And that the actual talk of the show is being outright buried in this, right?

    As I said, this is an echochamber. What have either of us said in the past 10 messages that hasn't already been said days ago? How much discussion is actually being had on the actual show itself, and not just part of some externalized nit-picking on the details or some completely off-topic tangent?
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-11 at 06:23 PM.

  14. #6614
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    As in, you disagree that there are some underlying problems with Rings of Poo regarding acting, dialogues, plot?
    Please quote me where I said there are no underlying problems with Rings of Power? Strange how you won't be able to, right?

    If you can't see how your two quotes are related then that is on you. You are selectively applying when "diversity and modern stuff" is good or bad. If you like the show then it is perfectly fine for it to exist. If you don't like the show, as in the case of Rings of Power, then it is suddenly an issue. If those concepts are a bad thing then it should bring down any adaptation that has them present, right?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  15. #6615
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    24,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Yes, because my whole point is the majority of the posts in this thread are not actually about the show. As in, discussion on the episodic content
    No your whole point was to say no one was praising the show because you wanted to reaffirm that it’s a bad show so it’s mostly just criticism.

    But then you fell down this whole rabbit hole of weaselling about what actually counts as “talk” about a show so are now retroactively trying to pretend your post were always inline with your new stance.

    How many posts are we spending right now in this back and forth?
    to many at this point given that your last honest bone must have decided it was in over its head and left your body and your now lying through your teeth.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-10-11 at 06:25 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  16. #6616
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    As I said, this is an echochamber. What have either of us said in the past 10 messages that hasn't already been said days ago? How much discussion is actually being had on the actual show itself, and not just part of some externalized nit-picking on the details?
    It is amusing how you keep denying trying to stop discussion while your entire point of posting today is about trying to stop discussions from happening. If you didn't try to moderate you would have saved those 10 posts. In an effort to get people to stop you've become the very problem you decry. A self fulfilling prophecy.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  17. #6617
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    People a fair amount of the people defending the show likely enjoy it. so the real question is if you don’t have Infintine time on your hands wht are you watching and talking about a show you don’t enjoy?

    - - - Updated - - -



    Ha thanks for proving me right that you’d just up the number to what ever you wanted.

    But your right only “ legitimate actual episodic discussion‘s” count as talking about a show now, lol.
    I'm specifically talking about the people defending who are resorting to it's just the start of the story aka the it can get better approach.

  18. #6618
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Ah yes that was your point from the start which is why your just now changing from “talk” about the show to “legitimate actual episodic discussion‘s“.

    Pull the other one it’s got bells on.
    No, it wasn't the point. 'The show isn't getting a lot of praise overall' was merely a supporting statement to make a point that the thread isn't indicative of the show being successful among even the audiences here, with most of the discussion being (at the time) back-and-forth debates about criticisms of the show. You said that criticisms of the show are still talking about the show. And I was making the point that most of the banter between criticisms are not, and I'm making this very discussion we're having now as an example of how those debates also end up being like. If not, there's plenty of other examples here of arguments taken outside the context of the show.

    The point had been that this thread's activity isn't very relevant to the show's success, namely because a majority of the posts aren't actually talking about the show's content, nor is much of that even praising it. That's the whole reason I called it an echochamber.

  19. #6619
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    24,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    I'm specifically talking about the people defending who are resorting to it's just the start of the story aka the it can get better approach.
    I’m not one of those people (liked the first episode) but I’d assume the answer would be the same just in part instead of the whole.

    Some one likes where they think the story is going, the characters, actors, visuals, ect and thing it’s worth putting the time in to see if the parts they don’t like will match up with the parts they do.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  20. #6620
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It is amusing how you keep denying trying to stop discussion while your entire point of posting today is about trying to stop discussions from happening. If you didn't try to moderate you would have saved those 10 posts. In an effort to get people to stop you've become the very problem you decry. A self fulfilling prophecy.
    How has anything I've said actually been an effort to get anyone to stop posting?

    What are you projecting here? Like, read what you just quoted. Where does it say people should stop posting?

    You're asking a loaded question that has nothing to do with anything I've said. Please stop accusing me of things I haven't done.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-11 at 06:43 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •