1. #7121
    Just waiting for Durin to show up with some more rocks and be like, "...rings? Why'd you make rings? I just threw a rock at a leaf and it fixed it. The hell are rings even for? You wear them? Do you sit on the tree while wearing them? How does the mithril get to the tree, then? Just throw this rock at the tree, worked for me. Weird elves."

  2. #7122
    Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    The pessimist in me thinks they did it as an excuse why they can't just mass produce rings once they get more mithril.

    The optomist in me thinks this was mostly meant to be a big symbolic moment for galadriel, but given she's had no character development, handing the dagger away, the symbol of her brother, means nothing. Like presumably this should have been the moment she becomes a more wise ruler or stops being such a karen, but the show makes it pretty clear she's still her annoying self.
    I get the show wants to make the dagger important to her and it is sentimentally. But as a symbol, I (my opinion) can't see it being more than merely an object of value because the show already showed how easily she could have been parted from it if Elendil or Halbrand were more of an ass and kept/sold the dagger when they had their hands on it.

    And since we're on the topic, Elendil didn't even notice he had the dagger stolen from him. Galadriel uses it later right in front of him, he doesn't seem to care either. Like, Halbrand stealing the dagger should have been the thing that put him in jail honestly.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-18 at 04:53 PM.

  3. #7123
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    What really irked me is that they melted the gold and silver and steel altogether, threw in the mithril chunk that they had, and then made three rings of different colors...
    Only one is a different color. When the 3 ingots are made there are two silver and one gold. When the rings are made there are two gold and one silver. They kept the same color scheme of the Jackson films. Doesn't Tolkien only describe the color of two? One made of gold and one made of Mithril? I can't find a reference to what Narya was made of.

    It seems a goof on the show when you compare the ingots to rings but it is plausible that the rings have a different mixture of the metals and thus could make a different colored alloy. Adding things to gold changes the color you get (rose, white, etc). Plus there is always the "magic" excuse. It will be interesting if they keep the trait of being invisible or if the show get rid of that so they can be seen.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    The pessimist in me thinks they did it as an excuse why they can't just mass produce rings once they get more mithril.
    It could just because they only had 3 weeks. Objects from Valinor might not be something that is easy to get a hold of or destroyed for experiments. It is plausible they might use her dagger if she willingly offers it. As you say it is likely just the symbolism though unless the show makes the dagger touched by Sauron or something.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  4. #7124
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Only one is a different color. When the 3 ingots are made there are two silver and one gold.
    Yes and that's the movie magic part.

    They melted the dagger as one pool of 'molten metal', and ended up with 3 ingots of two silver one gold. The Mithril wasn't parted into 3, it was tossed into the single batch of molten metal, and it doesn't make sense that somehow that gets parted into Silver and Gold ingots at all.

    I get they wanted to portray it this way because it's more 'symbolic' to Galadriel if she's looking at the molten dagger as a whole and watching the mithril be added to it. But if you know anything about metallurgy, this isn't the way ingots are produced. And I'm not interested in some bogus 'Elven magic' explanation like 'That mold they pour the molten metal into separates the gold and silver parts for you'


    Rings of Power has some great visuals, and there's plenty I'm willing to overlook. But when it's something as obvious as one single pool of metal creating distinctly separate Gold and Silver ingots from a single dagger being melted down, yeah I don't buy that at all.

    Also, this project was centered around Gil-Galad, Elrond and Celebrimbor. Galadriel's involvement ended up being shoehorned into it with her dagger being the 'key' to creating the Rings for seemingly no good reason. It's not like the original lore mandated that the Rings needed Valinor Gold and Silver to be created in the first place. That explanation is literally invented to make her dagger seem all the more important for this very scene. That's it.


    I don't really see this as being something that fits full circle and giving the 3 Rings more of a connection to Galadriel because it's forged from her brother's dagger, I think it's all too convenient an explanation, much like how Mithril itself is becoming the magical cure for the corruption that threatens the Elves. It's an explanation that works for this adaptation, sure, but it's not one that I think is necessary to tell the story of the forging of the Rings of Power. Like, the Rings themselves are powerful enough on their own (in the original lore) without Mithril being the key reason they are so prized. Mithril being this important would imply that the mithril chainmail would be just as important as the 3 Elven Rings to the Elves. Mithril should just be a very sturdy, durable and light-weight metal. The entire starlight and corruption-saving property really messes with some of the logic already applied in LOTR. And yes, beyond 'See, the Rings are more special because they mixed in gold and silver from Valinor!!', yeah, that still wouldn't cover the fact that Frodo has a mithril chainmail that would be all-too-important to the Elves based on RoP's explanation.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-18 at 05:54 PM.

  5. #7125
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It is a little early to be complaining about something being a retcon when the show hasn't even covered those events. Why not pick one of the many things the show has shown to be changed? Ar-Pharazon can still become King and can still capture Sauron.
    Tar becoming Queen at all is a retcon. She was never crowned as Tar Miriel Pharazon forced her to marry him and was crowned king, after which he forcibly changed her name. Seriously just stop talking about that which you know nothing.

  6. #7126
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    They melted the dagger as one pool of 'molten metal', and ended up with 3 ingots of two silver one gold. The Mithril wasn't parted into 3, it was tossed into the single batch of molten metal, and it doesn't make sense that somehow that gets parted into Silver and Gold ingots at all.
    The color can make sense depending on the ratio in the alloy. As I said gold itself can change colors based on what it is mixed with and the fictional mithril could behave the same way. Or the pool of molten metal might not have equal amounts of each metal through out which could also explain a variance. Remember to that Elves, at one point, could make blades that glowed when orcs were nearby. It isn't that crazy that magic could change properties of molten or finished products slightly.

    Though as I said the ingot scene seems a goof. I wonder if they would edit it after the fact if it is actually a mistake. The Starbucks cup for GoT or green finger for HotD come to mind as fixes of that nature. Or the digitally imposed ad in Jack Reacher being removed after the episode premiered.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Tar becoming Queen at all is a retcon. She was never crowned as Tar Miriel Pharazon forced her to marry him and was crowned king, after which he forcibly changed her name. Seriously just stop talking about that which you know nothing.
    She isn't the Queen yet on the show. Only the queen-reagent. It still doesn't change that the events the person was complaining about haven't been covered by the show yet and have yet to be changed from Tolkien's work. So just let your grudge against me go and stop making a fool of yourself.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  7. #7127
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The color can make sense depending on the ratio in the alloy. As I said gold itself can change colors based on what it is mixed with and the fictional mithril could behave the same way. Or the pool of molten metal might not have equal amounts of each metal through out which could also explain a variance. Remember to that Elves, at one point, could make blades that glowed when orcs were nearby. It isn't that crazy that magic could change properties of molten or finished products slightly.

    Though as I said the ingot scene seems a goof. I wonder if they would edit it after the fact if it is actually a mistake. The Starbucks cup for GoT or green finger for HotD come to mind as fixes of that nature. Or the digitally imposed ad in Jack Reacher being removed after the episode premiered.
    Yeah, I'm not really dogging on movie magic for the sake of movie magic. I totally get it.

    I'm just saying that from a viewer POV, it takes me out of it when I'm literally seeing these scenes stitched together in this way, one after another.

    It's like a meme.

    Step 1: Melt the dagger
    Step 2: Add Mithril
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit

  8. #7128
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Tar becoming Queen at all is a retcon. She was never crowned as Tar Miriel Pharazon forced her to marry him and was crowned king, after which he forcibly changed her name. Seriously just stop talking about that which you know nothing.
    The guy only reads the equivalent of cliff notes...and his debate logic rarely exceeds preschool levels. Why bother...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Is 'LOTR: The Rings of Power' the biggest flop of all time? Here's how it stacks up with massive box office bombs

  9. #7129
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    18,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post

    It's like a meme.

    Step 1: Melt the dagger
    Step 2: Add Mithril
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit
    Something funny too, if you look at the ring with the sapphire, that "line" in the middle of the ring make it look like its plastic


    I honestly think their design is awful, i saw much better being sold on the internet out there

  10. #7130
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Something funny too, if you look at the ring with the sapphire, that "line" in the middle of the ring make it look like its plastic
    It is a common technique to give bands a different look and has nothing to do with something being plastic. You really are just fishing for things to complain about.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-10-18 at 09:18 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  11. #7131
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Honestly, when Galadriel went to Celebrimbor without informing them that Sauron was involved, I was half-convinced they would pull out a "Galadriel in that scene was in fact Sauron shape-shifting to get the Rings done", that would have explained Elrond's suspicious look at Galadriel like he's trying to figure out if it's really her.

    I'm not sure that would have been better than what we had though.

    I have to say most of Halbrand's grand scheme and whatever Galadriel did throughout this serie didn't make much sense to me.
    I was thinking the same. Hoping in fact. But the show just isn't capable of twists.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    What really irked me is that they melted the gold and silver and steel altogether, threw in the mithril chunk that they had, and then made three rings of different colors...

    - - - Updated - - -



    'member when he says follow your nose? 'member??!
    And the best part is that only one of the Rings is canonically made from Mythril. Nenya, the Ring of Adamant. The others two are made from gold. There is no silver ring...

    https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Rings_of_Power#Nenya

  12. #7132
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    18,960
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It is a common technique to give bands a different look and has nothing to do with something being plastic. You really are just fishing for things to complain about.
    Maybe its a common technique for cheap shit, i see thing like that from fake bijou.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2022-10-18 at 09:34 PM.

  13. #7133
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Maybe its a common technique for cheap shit, i see thing like that from fake bijou.
    There is no accounting for taste. The example of something you'd prefer looks more like costume jewelry than what was used on the show.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  14. #7134
    Narya (the Ring of Fire, the Red Ring) was set with a ruby. Its final bearer was the Wizard Gandalf, who received it from Círdan at the Grey Havens during the Third Age.
    Nenya (the Ring of Water, the White Ring, the Ring of Adamant) was made of mithril and set with a "shimmering white stone". Galadriel used it to protect and preserve the realm of Lothlórien.
    Vilya (the Ring of Air, the Blue Ring)
    was the mightiest of the Three. It was made of gold and set with a sapphire. Elrond inherited Vilya from Gil-galad and used it to safeguard Rivendell.


  15. #7135
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    I think you are not understanding what I have been saying which is that all combat on screen is fake. So making it look 'realistic' has nothing to do with whether it matches "real world" combat or not. For example, people cannot fly under their own power in real life, but movies are made that try and make people flying look "realistic". In that context, what is "realistic" is a measure of the final result on screen, not whether or not it actually exists in the real world.
    It's like the difference between the combat in Crouching Tiger and Kill Bill versus the combat in a typical CW superhero show. It's all laughably unrealistic, but the depiction in Crouching Tiger and Kill Bill is so well done that you buy into it as "real", for that world at least.

    Even the combat in a Stephen Chow movie is believable because, as utterly unrealistic as it is, it's intentional for that world for the combat to look that hyperstylized.

    All the combat I've seen from RoP is "Legolas sledding on a shield" levels of bad and unbelievable. That Legolas moment totally took me out of the films in PJ's trilogy, I can't imagine why they're trying to recreate that sort of moment.

  16. #7136
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The color can make sense depending on the ratio in the alloy. As I said gold itself can change colors based on what it is mixed with and the fictional mithril could behave the same way. Or the pool of molten metal might not have equal amounts of each metal through out which could also explain a variance. Remember to that Elves, at one point, could make blades that glowed when orcs were nearby. It isn't that crazy that magic could change properties of molten or finished products slightly.

    Though as I said the ingot scene seems a goof. I wonder if they would edit it after the fact if it is actually a mistake. The Starbucks cup for GoT or green finger for HotD come to mind as fixes of that nature. Or the digitally imposed ad in Jack Reacher being removed after the episode premiered.

    - - - Updated - - -



    She isn't the Queen yet on the show. Only the queen-reagent. It still doesn't change that the events the person was complaining about haven't been covered by the show yet and have yet to be changed from Tolkien's work. So just let your grudge against me go and stop making a fool of yourself.
    She never ascended to power in any sense as Tar Miriel those events have been changed already. I only call you out when you post blatant falsehoods. When her father died and she would have taken over she was forcibly married to Pharazon and had her name changed.

    The most annoying part is if they wanted to have a woman as ruler there were 3 before her that wouldn't have required retcons.

    edit: I forgot one other thing with the whole Celeborn saga. We don't have any mention of Celebrian so is Elrond going to see her as a kid and decide he must wife her or wtf? It's going to be really damn awkward to the point I doubt they ever bring the husband and kid into the show.
    Last edited by Xath; 2022-10-19 at 02:00 AM.

  17. #7137
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    She never ascended to power in any sense as Tar Miriel those events have been changed already.
    I never claimed her being queen-regent was from the books. Ar-Pharazon has yet to take over on the show so he can't capture Sauron yet. The events described can't have taken place yet so you don't only call me out when I post blatant falsehoods as what I said isn't yet false. Lmao.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-10-19 at 02:37 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  18. #7138
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I never claimed her being queen-regent was from the books. Ar-Pharazon has yet to take over on the show so he can't capture Sauron yet. The events described can't have taken place yet so you don't only call me out when I post blatant falsehoods as what I said isn't yet false. Lmao.
    Her being queen-regent is a retcon. Stop trying to weasel out you claimed they weren't retconning I just provided a specific example that is a retcon. There's a lot more but that one in particular is indisputable. If you would like I can start posting the literal text about that particular time from sil the appendices and can even throw in unfinished tales.

  19. #7139
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Her being queen-regent is a retcon.
    I never claimed it wasn't. You really have let this grudge against me go to your head. Lmao.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  20. #7140
    Herald of the Titans Maruka's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    2,554
    Show was alright, felt like they were very hamstrung about what they could reference from the movies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •