Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    To each their own. I'll continue to enjoy them
    Sure, people are free to like shit if it fits them.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    So if Rings of power captures the spirit of the works better you don't think he would be find it more agreeable then the Jackson work?
    It ultimately doesn't matter what you think Christopher would have thought. You are not him.
    It doesn't matter what you think Christopher Tolkien would want because you are not him. It matters what he did and the actions he took. He approved the adaptation to be made. What is the honest thing here? What some random person thinks of someone? Or what that someone did?
    Stop replying, stop discussing.

Just gonna post this here for you to see how bad fucking faith your argument here is.

As I said earlier:

It's as simple as this - nothing you've said disagrees with anything I've said. You've brought forth zero opinions of your own on this matter. You ask for opinions, and then you attack the opinions for being made. That's all you're doing, and it's insulting. It's absolutely trolling.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-10-25 at 05:41 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    It's as simple as this - nothing you've said disagrees with anything I've said. You've brought forth zero opinions of your own on this matter. You ask for opinions, and then you attack the opinions for being made. That's all you're doing, and it's insulting. It's absolutely trolling.
    I've shared my opinion on plenty of matters multiple times. You not agreeing with them is not the same as them not existing. The only one trolling here is yourself who keeps discussing a poster rather then a discussion. Despite telling others to stop you can't yourself. Of course I can disagree with the opinion and reasoning you gave for why you interpret something a certain way. Opinions can be wrong you know but you are never wrong for having them.

I'm not sure why you keep getting triggered at any conversation you have with me when you start out so civilly. I suggest you just put me on ignore because you can't stop derailing the thread. I'll even make it easy on you by providing a simple link for you to click that should work. https://www.mmo-champion.com/profile...gnore&u=534195
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Just gonna post this here for you to see how bad fucking faith your argument here is.
    Pretty sure we did that a few times in the Wheel of Time thread. It never mattered. That's pretty much added to the fact that he's obviously a kid with kiddie arguments.. .or some version of libertarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Pretty sure we did that a few times in the Wheel of Time thread. It never mattered. That's pretty much added to the fact that he's obviously a kid with kiddie arguments.. .or some version of libertarian.
    Honestly just need more people to not engage his trolling, all he does is derail, gaslight, and bad faith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Honestly just need more people to not engage his trolling, all he does is derail, gaslight, and bad faith.
    I think you're right on this. At this point I realize it looks like he craves the attention, even if it's negative.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I was active in that thread too but never really engaged or noticed his posts there. Had I known...

They all have writing credits as well as producer credits. Gennifer Hutchison wrote 5 episodes of Breaking Bad according to IMDB for example. https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0903747/fullcredits/writer Sure they are by no means master class but they aren't new either. They could have had show runners with a little more work under their hands. I wonder if them being such a tight knit duo hurts the show as well. I can't help but wonder if the show's line about a triumvirate being best might also apply to the show.
    I meant credited as writers on Rings. But it doesn't matter much, producers should have seen the flaws in the show just as well as writers.

Peter Jackson had about 9 films of various quality when he was given Tolkien's work so a little inexperience is never a bad thing but it was still more than these. Sometimes just the luck of the draw and I wonder where Mr. Jackson would be if he made the cut down script before he was given basically free reign to do his full vision. Would we still look fondly on the movies or would it have been more like Rings of Power and just a middle of the road experience. Not bad but not exceptional.
    The fact that when he was given free reign he did as well as he did shows that indeed even relatively little experience can be enough. But he also had a lot more Tolkien to draw from for a lot fewer hours of screenplay. He didn't really have to "write" plot in so much as "adapt" plot that was there already. Not that that makes his achievement smaller. Plus he had the help of some true legends on the acting team, like McKellen and Lee (who acually met Tolkien and could give pointers).

I do not hate the showrunners for their inexperience, they can't help it. The Tolkien estate should never have given this to newbies without supervision in the first place, there should have been a senior creator to help. It is just by far too big a project to use it as an "apprentice project", especially if there is no master to check the work.
    You wouldn't let your 2,5 billion dollar ferrari be repaired by the apprentices in the car shop without a master checking their work and the same applies to the making of a screenplay.

This one is definately on the estate for the poor choice. However that does not excuse the showrunners pushing all blame on the audience and accepting none of the critique. It's the reaction of petulent children and simply unworthy for the resonsibility given to them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    I laughed so hard when I heard that podcast interview they recorded recently.
    I know right? i heard about the podcast from another source, those dues are beyond delusional.

They either have some sort of schizophrenia, or they are just panicking, they can't be consistent in the show let alone in the interviews, like saying they made halbrand to make a secret and surprise book readers but say they didn't want to surprise anyone neither make a mystery

But best of all: They did not want to use Annatar because they couldn't understand how the different races would fall for it and they didn't want to make it obvious for the book readers.
    That part alone shows how fucking bad and dishonest they were, they prob didn't read shit or just were too high on something and didn't understand, because it shows no knowledge or understanding of the very show they want to adapt, is bogus. Is a new lv of hubris to think you could make what tolkien better without even reading.

15+ Year Old Account
    I meant credited as writers on Rings. But it doesn't matter much, producers should have seen the flaws in the show just as well as writers.
    They are credited as writers on Rings of Power. https://m.imdb.com/title/tt7631058/fullcredits/writer

The estate didn't pick anyone. Amazon did. However the estate might have had input since they did say that Mr. Jackson couldn't be involved even as a consultant on scripts. The show runners haven't pushed it all on the audience. The hate and other silly stuff over diversity sure. But they have admitted that things in Season 1 didn't work out as they had hopped.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    That part alone shows how fucking bad and dishonest they were, they prob didn't read shit or just were too high on something and didn't understand, because it shows no knowledge or understanding of the very show they want to adapt, is bogus. Is a new lv of hubris to think you could make what tolkien better without even reading.
    It also has to be considered that they didn't use Annatar because they couldn't use anything mentioned in the Silmarillion. They might have been able to get special permission from the estate for some things but it would be far easier to create a new character then work with a limited character. It has nothing to do with hubris and doing better than Tolkien. It has everything to do with the complication of rights and the estate being super protective of the work that was not published by J.R.R.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

7+ Year Old Account
    It also has to be considered that they didn't use Annatar because they couldn't use anything mentioned in the Silmarillion. They might have been able to get special permission from the estate for some things but it would be far easier to create a new character then work with a limited character. It has nothing to do with hubris and doing better than Tolkien. It has everything to do with the complication of rights and the estate being super protective of the work that was not published by J.R.R.
    ????????????????
    ???
    ??

They literally told in the interview why they decide to change the plot and retcon the events, it has nothing to do with the name Anathar, he could be Called Kevin for all the fuck i care, they changed because they thought it was dumb for then to accept his gifts.

"rights" sure

They are credited as writers on Rings of Power. https://m.imdb.com/title/tt7631058/fullcredits/writer

The estate didn't pick anyone. Amazon did. However the estate might have had input since they did say that Mr. Jackson couldn't be involved even as a consultant on scripts. The show runners haven't pushed it all on the audience. The hate and other silly stuff over diversity sure. But they have admitted that things in Season 1 didn't work out as they had hopped.
    If the estate has the power to outright deny people to work on it then they literally pick and choose who they want. Amazon is the money, they didn't care one way or the other, could have been a monkey in a sombrero writing long as it makes them profit.

And yes, they have flatly called all critics "patently evil". They did not discriminate there. Much like the She-Hulk writer has declared that every critic is a misogynist, the Rings people have lumped all critics together with the racists, because it is so nicely simple and absolves them off all wrong-doing.
    I am not sure where you saw them admitting to mistakes, all I have heard is false accusations of the critics and self-agrandisement (or paying poor Felicia Day to celebrate them as having created a "Master Work" *shudder*).
    There was that one page of text that amazon probably forced them to release, which held some promises for the second season, but this falls flatly under "I believe it when I see it"

That is indeed not the reason they have given themselves. The podcast is quite clear, just go and listen to it, it is the offical podcast to the series on amazon music, hosted by Felicia Day, free too. No word of right issues. It was all "we didn't trust Tolkiens story to work".

Can't seem to find that podcast... Anyone have a link?
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Can't seem to find that podcast... Anyone have a link?
    https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/11...-power-podcast

Mostly talking about the last one "Alloyed".

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/11...-power-podcast

Mostly talking about the last one "Alloyed".
    Thank you for sharing this, definitely gonna check it out

15+ Year Old Account
    If the estate has the power to outright deny people to work on it then they literally pick and choose who they want. Amazon is the money, they didn't care one way or the other, could have been a monkey in a sombrero writing long as it makes them profit.
    Amazon still staffed the project and decided on the show runners. We have articles describing the pitch the two made to Amazon to get the job. There is no reason to shift it on to the estate. They didn't call all critics patently evil. They only applied that to the ones attacking over diversity. This is another thing that is silly to misapply.

"Payne looks particularly distressed by the topic. “The spirit of Tolkien is about disparate peoples who don’t trust one another and look different from one another finding common ground in friendship and accomplishing big things,” he says. “That’s the spirit we’ve tried to inculcate into every single comma and period in the show. That this aspiration would be offensive to people and enrage them … it’s very hard for us to understand. What are they protecting? I don’t see how people who are saying these things think that they’re fighting for good. There’s a line in episode seven where Galadriel says every war is fought from without and within. Even if you’re fighting for something you think is good, if you do something worse in that fight, then you become evil. I don’t see how people who are saying these things think that they’re fighting for good. It’s patently evil.”" -https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/the-rings-of-power-showrunners-interview-season-2-1235233124/

That is indeed not the reason they have given themselves. The podcast is quite clear, just go and listen to it, it is the offical podcast to the series on amazon music, hosted by Felicia Day, free too. No word of right issues. It was all "we didn't trust Tolkiens story to work".
    Which could still be a rights issue. If they couldn't use the specifics but create their own then they might not have trusted it to work without it being a servant of the Valar they idolize. People still fall for Nigerian Prince scams in the real world so maybe it would have still been believable. That seems to be what they were saying. That in the modern day we are much more aware of scams and "to good to be true" might not work the same.

"(Sauron mystery) "we wanted him to come into the narrative in an unexpected way. If you think about the obvious way - a tall mysterious beautiful demigod named Annatar shows up and says 'let me help you with all your problems by making some rings'... who's going to fall for that?" "There's this idea in Tolkien of chance meetings, upon which much hinges" "-https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=43239
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-10-26 at 01:29 PM.

Amazon still staffed the project and decided on the show runners. We have articles describing the pitch the two made to Amazon to get the job. There is no reason to shift it on to the estate. They didn't call all critics patently evil. They only applied that to the ones attacking over diversity. This is another thing that is silly to misapply.
    I do have a bias but it isn't hidden. I dislike people that are blaming others for their own failures. But isn't it telling that you immediatedly jump the bandwagon and accuse me of being biased, because I have a critical view of the show? Just as the showrunners cannot perceive anyone disliking their show for any reason other then being evil racists, you cannot perceive me disliking the show without an agenda behind it.

"Payne looks particularly distressed by the topic. “The spirit of Tolkien is about disparate peoples who don’t trust one another and look different from one another finding common ground in friendship and accomplishing big things,” he says. “That’s the spirit we’ve tried to inculcate into every single comma and period in the show. That this aspiration would be offensive to people and enrage them … it’s very hard for us to understand. What are they protecting? I don’t see how people who are saying these things think that they’re fighting for good. There’s a line in episode seven where Galadriel says every war is fought from without and within. Even if you’re fighting for something you think is good, if you do something worse in that fight, then you become evil. I don’t see how people who are saying these things think that they’re fighting for good. It’s patently evil.”" -https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/the-rings-of-power-showrunners-interview-season-2-1235233124/
    This just reinforces me view. They consider themselves the tragic heroes in a fight for justice and equality in our world, with the show just the medium for their message. Obviously people who think this way are unable to seperate the message from the quality of the show. It is obvious that the quality of the show was never their main focus, they wanted to spread this message and to do that, they wrapped it in "the spirit of Tolkien".

And just to make this clear again, though I am sure you will still accuse me of it. No, I do not disagree with the message. I am all for equality and justice. But it doesn't excuse their terrible writing and using it as a shield against critique is pathetic.

Which could still be a rights issue. If they couldn't use the specifics but create their own then they might not have trusted it to work without it being a servant of the Valar they idolize. People still fall for Nigerian Prince scams in the real world so maybe it would have still been believable. That seems to be what they were saying. That in the modern day we are much more aware of scams and "to good to be true" might not work the same.

"(Sauron mystery) "we wanted him to come into the narrative in an unexpected way. If you think about the obvious way - a tall mysterious beautiful demigod named Annatar shows up and says 'let me help you with all your problems by making some rings'... who's going to fall for that?" "There's this idea in Tolkien of chance meetings, upon which much hinges" "-https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=43239
    [/QUOTE]

Their disbelief not withstanding, this is what happens cannonically. It is a fallacy that stems from their need to bend Tolkiens universe until it reflects our world. Because in our world accepting a gift from a mysterious stranger usually leads to bad things, does not mean the people of middle earth have the same experience to draw from. In fact it would be more logical to develop such a mindset AFTER Annatar.
    But these writers are just not able to leave the confines of our world and allow Fantasy be Fantasy and that is why the show isn't working.

15+ Year Old Account
    And just to make this clear again, though I am sure you will still accuse me of it. No, I do not disagree with the message. I am all for equality and justice. But it doesn't excuse their terrible writing and using it as a shield against critique is pathetic.
    They are not using it as a shield. Their comments are only in response to the hatred levied about certain topics and not against all critique of the show.

Their disbelief not withstanding, this is what happens cannonically. It is a fallacy that stems from their need to bend Tolkiens universe until it reflects our world. Because in our world accepting a gift from a mysterious stranger usually leads to bad things, does not mean the people of middle earth have the same experience to draw from. In fact it would be more logical to develop such a mindset AFTER Annatar. But these writers are just not able to leave the confines of our world and allow Fantasy be Fantasy and that is why the show isn't working.
    Again, canon that they might not be able to use. As the estate has had them remove stuff that gets to close to things from Tolkien works they don't have the rights to. This isn't even the first example of this happening as it has been done with various video games as well. The estate is very protective of the work published after the death of JRR Tolkien.

It is also silly to have the notion that Fantasy isn't Fantasy unless it has old fashion concepts and no connections to the time period it was created in. It ignores how a lot of Tolkien's work is framed by his experiences with War and other things. It wasn't allegory but it was still present. So wouldn't Tolkien's own works no longer be "Fantasy" and not work for doing the same thing? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gr...d_Middle-earth

3+ Year Old Account
    I think non-book readers is really the target audience of the show. People who may have watched the LOTR and Hobbit movies, and otherwise don't know anything about the Second Age.

To be honest, adaptations like this are best enjoyed without the frame of reference in mind. Like every time I think about how awful the M. Night Airbender movie was, I still remember that everyone I've talked to who enjoyed the movie were all people who never watched the original series. They didn't have a frame of reference to compare to, and they were able to enjoy the movie as a standalone thing.
    Yes, this is exactly what I was originally trying to say. Movies / series' that are made out of existing IP's are almost never made explicitly for the die hard IP fan.. They wouldnt make any money if they did that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    Maybe the story has been more than fine, but then the execution have gone poorly. And that is somewhat beside the point. It matters little what source material it has, it matters little how close it is to the source or the idea of Tolkien, its all about how good the show it as it stand on its own and how good it was supposed to be, when looking at the amount of energy and effort put into the product.

You might like it, thats great, but then question comes to why? I know many who like the show, but when i start asking questions why, its often just because its a high production fantasy show, not that the story or show is that particular good. It might aswell have been a harry potter tv-show for all they care, cause their standard is not that high. Whats important is that it is pretty, that it is something to talk about with their social circle and that it is something new to see.

Now, there is nothing bad in that opinion, but it won't create better TV. It allows the producers of the show to do the most barebone and people will still watch. I say that it is alright to have a high standard, especially when it comes to something made by a company like Amazon, something that might have a lasting impact and pressence than just when it is present.

Its also a question about potential. When there is potential, i think there is some responsibility to also try and reach that potential. Without that, we would never have gotten on some of our most impactful pieces of media and entertainment, and i think the world is poorer if that does not happen.

Exactly. These people are who the studios and producers make their money off of. The vocal majority (those like you, critcs, etc) are not the big money market. So as I originally said, the target audience is almost surely people like me who sit down on Sunday night to watch Rings of power and house of the dragon with my wife while we eat dinner. Entertainment that is decent enough to keep us coming back for 8-10 weeks while we eat dinner.

Now, could it be better? 100%. Should it be better as a result of the insanely large budget it had? Definitely. Will it still profit? Absolutely. Will they continue the series? Certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Recovery View Post
    Yes, this is exactly what I was originally trying to say. Movies / series' that are made out of existing IP's are almost never made explicitly for the die hard IP fan.. They wouldnt make any money if they did that.
    While that's true, historically they also were most successful if they appealed to BOTH fans and non-fans - the idea being that the fans with existing IP investment would like it and spread their positive impressions to non-fans, thereby increasing interest overall.

However, it seems that during the last few years that formula isn't really observed anymore. Maybe the internet has provided enough of a platform that they think they don't need fans to drive hype anymore, or something. I don't know. But this is far from the first project to just tell the fans to take it or leave it and instead just make generic genre stuff they hope will appease the broad, uniformed masses. And if the fans hate it, then who cares.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    While that's true, historically they also were most successful if they appealed to BOTH fans and non-fans - the idea being that the fans with existing IP investment would like it and spread their positive impressions to non-fans, thereby increasing interest overall.

However, it seems that during the last few years that formula isn't really observed anymore. Maybe the internet has provided enough of a platform that they think they don't need fans to drive hype anymore, or something. I don't know. But this is far from the first project to just tell the fans to take it or leave it and instead just make generic genre stuff they hope will appease the broad, uniformed masses. And if the fans hate it, then who cares.
    Yup! At the end of the day, if all of the people complaining about lore inaccuracies, etc, has no previously knowledge of tolkien lore, the only thing they would have to complain about is the slow story story progression and stale acting. So again, overall, decent show. 6/10. Will watch season 2.