1. #7561
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Tolkien's explanation was "Morgoth created Mount Doom" (Morgoth was the bigger baddie before Sauron and the most powerful being in the universe). That's fine. To me it's a huge problem that the writers are like, "But we need to explain it with science!"
    Causing it to erupt is not the same as creating it. The volcano was already there, (presumably) created by Morgoth when he and the other Valar were forming the world in the first place.

  2. #7562
    Herald of the Titans rogoth's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    in the land of killer unicrons
    Posts
    2,527
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    The show failed for me for many reasons, but the primary reason was the fuck awful writers, who shouldn't be allowed to do anything more creative in life than stocking shelves. This was some shit tier writing, with some terrible characters/dialogue/plot. Not even going into the bastardization of Tolkien's lore. How you could fuck this up is proof that it is always possible for people to find a way to disappoint you.
    i mean anyone with an ounce of common sense could have seen this coming a mile away, a duo who have for a decade or more had their ideas and scripts turned down by EVERYONE in hollywood, a duo who's only claim to fame is that they are acolytes to jj abrams (not a compliment), and their only 'legitimate' writing credit was an 'uncredited' role on the writing team behind a reboot of star trek: into darkness movie (again not a compliment), so anybody who expected this to be anything less than a dumpster fire was being delusional.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Causing it to erupt is not the same as creating it. The volcano was already there, (presumably) created by Morgoth when he and the other Valar were forming the world in the first place.
    that's all well and good, but that's not how volcano's work, so even trying to force it to erupt they fucked it up, regardless of why the volcano exists in the first place, and the fact that the show did NOTHING at all to explain ANY of the meaningful exposition properly, instead they focused exclusively on the needless exposition and terrible writing in general turning what could and should have been an easy win into the biggest adaptation disaster to ever be produced, in years to come it will be used in teaching as how NOT to do something like this, and that's a pretty big accomplishment all things considered.

  3. #7563
    The Unstoppable Force rhorle's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    20,325
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    that's all well and good, but that's not how volcano's work

    Are you sure about that?

    https://volcano.oregonstate.edu/hydrovolcanism
    https://source.wustl.edu/2019/07/wat...an-we-thought/
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  4. #7564
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Its interesting because I've read all the LOTR books and I love the show. I will say I think The Silmarillion is trash and in my opinion Christopher Tolkien needed some cash so clumped his dad's notes together and called it a book. So my thoughts are a little skewed from the die hard Tolkien fan.
    I had the same feeling. I wasn't charitable in the slightest to the show and had doubts on Amazon's ability after the butchering of wheel of time.

    I expected the trainwreck I got but I have to admit some small part of me was really hoping to be surprised. Hopefully they get the next iteration of the movies right in the 20 year cycle things get recycled in these days.

  5. #7565
    Merely a Setback Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    25,430
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i mean anyone with an ounce of common sense could have seen this coming a mile away, a duo who have for a decade or more had their ideas and scripts turned down by EVERYONE in hollywood, a duo who's only claim to fame is that they are acolytes to jj abrams (not a compliment), and their only 'legitimate' writing credit was an 'uncredited' role on the writing team behind a reboot of star trek: into darkness movie (again not a compliment), so anybody who expected this to be anything less than a dumpster fire was being delusional.
    According to this list they had writers with experience from the Sopranos, breaking bad, better call Saul, stranger things, starwars resistance, toy story4 among other shows, seems like a pretty good range of experience.

    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt7631058/fullcredits/writer
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  6. #7566
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    13,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    According to this list they had writers with experience from the Sopranos, breaking bad, better call Saul, stranger things, starwars resistance, toy story4 among other shows, seems like a pretty good range of experience.

    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt7631058/fullcredits/writer
    wow if that's the experience the writers had and the show was still as bad as it was, then something went very wrong. Probably an upper management decision.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

    Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

  7. #7567
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    wow if that's the experience the writers had and the show was still as bad as it was, then something went very wrong. Probably an upper management decision.
    McKay and Payne are the ones making the stories and how things should play out. Writers of specific episodes are taking their writing and write what they want to happen into a script.
    They are given the plot points and major interactions.
    Then McKay and Payne and maybe even Webber have the last say in reviews of the episodes.

    Nothing comes to screen without their involvement.

    It's like being a graphic designer having to design a shit logo because the client wants it a certain way.
    Then trying to use the artists reputation as to say, well they are good so this logo must've been good, is just disingenuous.

    Being a good writer you might be able to salvage things, but if the basic plot is garbage not much can be done. Especially if the client is also set in stone on how it's supposed to be.

    Could also be that experienced people sometimes make duds.

    EDIT:
    Now that I think about it, there's so many influences on the way to the final picture.
    Creator - Writer - Screenplay - Director - Editor

    Through all these parts, the client (often the creator) are the ones with the last say.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2022-10-31 at 08:29 AM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

  8. #7568
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    13,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    McKay and Payne are the ones making the stories and how things should play out. Writers of specific episodes are taking their writing and write what they want to happen into a script.
    They are given the plot points and major interactions.
    Then McKay and Payne and maybe even Webber have the last say in reviews of the episodes.

    Nothing comes to screen without their involvement.

    It's like being a graphic designer having to design a shit logo because the client wants it a certain way.
    Then trying to use the artists reputation as to say, well they are good so this logo must've been good, is just disingenuous.

    Being a good writer you might be able to salvage things, but if the basic plot is garbage not much can be done. Especially if the client is also set in stone on how it's supposed to be.
    Yea I know, its like comic book writers or video game writers, most of the time they are told what to write, whether it through editors or head writers or senior writers or screen writers. So its usually a more filtered idea, I hate the writing process in media. Its a job I'd hate to have. Basically being told what to write instead of actually writing freely. Then again thats their job and I am sure its a job they are used to.

    You really need to be organised to make all those writing positions connect.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

    Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

  9. #7569
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Yea I know, its like comic book writers or video game writers, most of the time they are told what to write, whether it through editors or head writers or senior writers or screen writers. So its usually a more filtered idea, I hate the writing process in media. Its a job I'd hate to have. Basically being told what to write instead of actually writing freely. Then again thats their job and I am sure its a job they are used to.

    You really need to be organised to make all those writing positions connect.
    I think in general all those positions do influence the end product if the client lets them.
    The reason WHY they exist as specialized positions is just for that expertise in those areas.

    So to me, having reputable writers on the show and it still turned out as it did... just speaks volumes against McKay, Payne and Webber tbh.

    Sad really, the show had great potential...destroyed by management :/
    Error 404 - Signature not found

  10. #7570
    The Unstoppable Force Syegfryed's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    20,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    McKay and Payne are the ones making the stories and how things should play out. Writers of specific episodes are taking their writing and write what they want to happen into a script.
    They are given the plot points and major interactions.
    Then McKay and Payne and maybe even Webber have the last say in reviews of the episodes.

    We also need to look in WHAT they did write for those shows, what part did they have with it, how much did they write themselves, etc etc, then compare here. For all we know their finger in those shows could be small or the episodes credit to then were not that good either.

    Either way, the true writers for the story are Mcyay and Payne, they did this garbage, the writers can't make gold from shit

  11. #7571
    Herald of the Titans rogoth's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    in the land of killer unicrons
    Posts
    2,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    According to this list they had writers with experience from the Sopranos, breaking bad, better call Saul, stranger things, starwars resistance, toy story4 among other shows, seems like a pretty good range of experience.

    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt7631058/fullcredits/writer
    just because the 'writers room' is full of previously successful writers from many different and varied projects means jackshit when the people in charge are 2 of the most unqualified muppets that could have been picked for their role, and it was their story that these acclaimed writers were forced to tell, it had nothing whatsoever to do with the individual writers themselves, they were forced to write what was given to them and the clowfiesta who were put in charge of this project got the final say on everything, and it's self evident now that the entire mess of a show is released, and like i said, this was prophesied long before the release of the show, and thanks to almost a decade of past experience dealing with these kinds of clowns who think they are bigger than the work they put out, it could be seen a mile away just how much of a trainwreck this was gonna be and lo it was to be, also, have you noticed all the people in this thread that were all 'it's not even out yet just wait it's probably gonna be good' have not posted since the show aired and have stayed silent because everything that was said about this mess of a show prior to its release has come to pass, not a single thing that was predicted to happen has failed to not happen, and that's all down to the 3 clowns at the head of the project who as i have said are severely unqualified for the job and should never have been within a million miles of this project but here we are.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    We also need to look in WHAT they did write for those shows, what part did they have with it, how much did they write themselves, etc etc, then compare here. For all we know their finger in those shows could be small or the episodes credit to then were not that good either.

    Either way, the true writers for the story are Mcyay and Payne, they did this garbage, the writers can't make gold from shit
    THE SEA IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!!!, and yet there's plenty of people in this thread who have and continue to defend this heap that think it's the best thing since sliced bread, so clearly they believe if you polish a turd long enough it'll turn into gold lol.

  12. #7572
    It's actually tragic how Aemond Targaryen from Westeros looks more like a Middle Earth elf than... you know... the creatures from this show:


  13. #7573
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    It's actually tragic how Aemond Targaryen from Westeros looks more like a Middle Earth elf than... you know... the creatures from this show:

    Short, pencil-thin males with eye patches is exactly how Tolkien described Middle Earth elves, you're right!
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  14. #7574
    The Unstoppable Force Syegfryed's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    20,422
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    Short, pencil-thin males with eye patches is exactly how Tolkien described Middle Earth elves, you're right!
    Lets not pretend the ones in ring of power are like Tolkien described either, with midget Galadriel and old fart Celebrimbor.

    But If you take the eyepatch, he is close to the elves of middle earth than the rings of power

  15. #7575
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    Short, pencil-thin males with eye patches is exactly how Tolkien described Middle Earth elves, you're right!
    Latinos with buzz cut, filthy face, and ragged clothes is exactly how Tolkien described elves?

    Also, I assume you have never seen HOTD because in no way is Aemond "short" and "pencil-thin". It should be pretty easy to tell from that pic I posted.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2022-11-01 at 10:07 AM.

  16. #7576
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Latinos with buzz cut, filthy face, and ragged clothes is exactly how Tolkien described elves?

    Also, I assume you have never seen HOTD because in no way is Aemond "short" and "pencil-thin". It should be pretty easy to tell from that pic I posted.
    It's hilarious how obsessed you people are with skin tone. There hasn't been a new episode in weeks and here you lot are still crying a river over a dark skinned elf.

    Aemound is probably 510-5'11 in that series. Elves as described by Tolkien tower over men of Middle Earth. They're also described as being incredibly beautiful and have more variety in hair color than silver. But I guess if the Jackson films are your gold standard for all things Tolkien, then sure guy, he looks just like an elf
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #7577
    The Unstoppable Force Syegfryed's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    20,422
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    Aemound is probably 510-5'11 in that series. Elves as described by Tolkien tower over men of Middle Earth. They're also described as being incredibly beautiful and have more variety in hair color than silver. But I guess if the Jackson films are your gold standard for all things Tolkien, then sure guy, he looks just like an elf
    He is close to 1,77m though, that isn't too short, besides, long hair is more tolkien-ish than a buzzcut with a perfect shade like you did the same morning.

  18. #7578
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    He is close to 1,77m though, that isn't too short, besides, long hair is more tolkien-ish than a buzzcut with a perfect shade like you did the same morning.
    Any height below 6 ft is not tall, sorry. And most of what ya'll consider "tolkien-ish" is just headcanon or based on Jackson's films. Tolkien didn't obsess over the trivial shit you guys are bitching about or he wouldn't have been vague in most of his descriptions of these characters. His attention to detail is found in the languages, names, middle-earth itself, and its history. Excuse the cliche, but this is a perfect example of missing the forest for the trees.
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #7579
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    He is close to 1,77m though, that isn't too short,
    he'd be fine being cast as a hobbit or dwarf

  20. #7580
    The Unstoppable Force Syegfryed's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    20,422
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    Any height below 6 ft is not tall, sorry. And most of what ya'll consider "tolkien-ish" is just headcanon or based on Jackson's films. Tolkien didn't obsess over the trivial shit you guys are bitching about or he wouldn't have been vague in most of his descriptions of these characters. His attention to detail is found in the languages, names, middle-earth itself, and its history. Excuse the cliche, but this is a perfect example of missing the forest for the trees.
    I just said He is not too short, a bit taller than average.

    Peter jackson elves are closer to what tolkien described than the elves in rings of power, regardless of how much you nitpick then while ignoring the awful takes on the show.

    You are talking like Arondir is the only problem here buddy, the whole forest is a problem, there is honestly not a single elf that look like an elf in rings of power, and yes, the Targeryans look more like tolkien elves, i think even George said once the targeryans are his version of elves.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    he'd be fine being cast as a hobbit or dwarf
    If Celebrimbor got an elf, he would be just the best elf

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •