Quote Originally Posted by Aedruid View Post
    By the time we all see the show, we're all going to be rooting for Moria to be destroyed. I can only imagine what nonsense is going to take place.
    The hero we really want:

22k dislikes on that amazon teaser trailer and all those comments with a Tolkien quote is just pure gold, amazing!

For a billion dollar show, why does the new Lord of the Rings trailer look so cheap?

Early footage from Amazon’s wildly expensive new fantasy series ‘The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power’ suggests CGI demons have already stolen its soul, writes Kevin E G Perry

Beside a vast waterfall, a woman dangles precariously from a frozen cliff face. As the wind whips around her, she leaps and drives a golden spike into the ice. When she looks up, towards the camera, we know in an instant that she will be alright from the look on her CGI-smoothed visage. There is no danger, because nothing here is real. The only place our new hero looks likely to fall is deep into the uncanny valley.

The trailer for Amazon’s much-anticipated new series The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power hit screens during the Super Bowl this weekend, giving fans an early glimpse at exactly what the world’s first billion dollar television show looks like. The answer? A cut scene from an old Final Fantasy computer game. It is hard to conjure up a sense of jeopardy when your characters, in this case Swedish-born Welsh actor Morfydd Clark’s young Galadriel, have ended up looking like one of Mark Zuckerberg’s creepy, dead-eyed Meta avatars wrapped in a billowing cloak of special effects. Sure, royal elves aren’t necessarily supposed to look human, but you’d think after spending all that money she’d at least look like she has a pulse.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Are you suggesting you don't hate the female dwarf because she doesn't have a full beard? Only reason to bring it up in relation to me simply saying that people do indeed read books.

Criticism is fine. What tends to go on isn't really criticism, though. Certainly not constructive criticism.

Dude, I've read the Wheel of Time thread lol Claims/accusations for such were duly warranted. Did you ever even get around to actually finishing it yet? Looks like that thread can finally die now that this is the new thing to whinge about. How fickle people are.

And, if I ignore you, it'll generally be because what you posted didn't need a reply, didn't warrant a reply, or I didn't care enough to reply. But sure, that's just me turning those that don't think exactly like me into scary villains! You tend to just come across as a miserable old man that likes shaking his cane at modern media. People like you are why I barely come to this specific sub-forum, and its a shame that there are so many like you.
    You trolled the wheel of time thread just like you are doing now ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Yes, but it's okay, because the videogame never took itself seriously. It exists as its own thing and it's meant for fun, it's not meant to be an adaptation. It's basically its own universe.

Meanwhile this show is supposed to be an adaptation of the Second Age and is supposed to fill the gaps of the Second Age. So if this show has writing on the level of "Sauron and Celebrimbor hug and merge together, the Eye of Sauron turns blue to represent their struggle", which is a complete retcon/reimagining of the story, that would be a problem. Because this show actually takes itself seriously.

In other words, you can ignore the videogame as non-canon, but you can't ignore this TV show as non-canon, because it's meant to fill in the gaps of the Second Age...
    If you accept Tolkien's writings as canon and this series disagrees with Tolkien's writings then you can 100% take it as non-canon just like the video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    If you want a valid reason, black people are have been struggling to get decent representation for decades, and they still struggle to get roles and even get nominated less than other people. Then you decide to take away their already reduced representation by assigning black roles to white actors? That is a bad look. It is a false simmetry.

Now you might dislike or disagree with it, which is another discussion that is off limits for this forum, but the reasoning is sound at least.
    Serious question here what do you think is the racial makeup of the US and without Google what minority group has the largest population.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedruid View Post
    100% this. When I saw the trailer I was kinda thrown off balance by the high and tight haircut + women dwarfs with no beards.... literally makes no sense. Feels more like Chronicles of Narnia story-wise in the trailer too, like wtf.
    The buzzcuts a bit weird yea… the lack of female beard is very defensible ino though… it’s one of those things that works on the page, but not on screen. The character would lose all charisma.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Minority characters are cast with white actors literally all the time; this list is a fraction of Hollywood white washing: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...o-wasnt-white/

Very few people ever even notice, unless it's the other way around for some reason.
    Any time an article starts with 1915 it can be tossed in the trash. Whitewashing is also super fucking annoying good current examples of this are the ancient one and the major.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    FEMALE dwarf, who is naturally black, a biological IMPOSSIBILITY.
    If you are going to go for this "biological impossibility" angle you'd have to count out a lot of stuff in Silmarillion, LOTR, hobbit. What you wanted to say is "only things I DEEM PROPER" can be in. I don't remember anything about dwarves not being able to born with dark skin, you know, in a fantasy world where some humans live many times the normal lifespan, where elfs are a thing, god is thing, magic, ghosts, and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Serious question here what do you think is the racial makeup of the US and without Google what minority group has the largest population.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not really interested in discussing racism here. It just never goes well for anyone involved. Not to mention I'm not from the US.

The poster said that he never heard a valid reason, I just gave them a reason that while people might disagree with, makes sense.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Lots of old sci-fi and fantasy just waiting...
    Or if they feel the need to do a reboot, reboot The Dresden Files, the first go around was rough to say the least(though with current reboots/adaptations I have no faith it will be good). Honestly surprised we haven't gotten a battletech/mechwarriors show of some kind, live action or animated either. The Saga of the Noble Dead series by Barb and J.C. Hendee is another that could be fun, not many named characters either to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    The buzzcuts a bit weird yea… the lack of female beard is very defensible ino though… it’s one of those things that works on the page, but not on screen. The character would lose all charisma.
    Strong disagree, you can be Charismatic as fuck no matter how you look, check out James Spader in the blacklist, one of the most charismatic performances I have seen and he isn't exactly someone people consider attractive. Not to mention these are supposed to be dwarves, with their own ideals of beauty, I think it is 100% fine and could easily work on screen.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-02-15 at 06:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not really interested in discussing racism here. It just never goes well for anyone involved. Not to mention I'm not from the US.

The poster said that he never heard a valid reason, I just gave them a reason that while people might disagree with, makes sense.
    No I'm asking this for a legitimate reason that you aren't from the US actually makes you more likely to show what I'm getting so please answer the question. Without googling it just based off movies TV etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    No I'm asking this for a legitimate reason that you aren't from the US actually makes you more likely to show what I'm getting so please answer the question. Without googling it just based off movies TV etc
    Ok...

Without googling:
    I believe 20% african americans
    Around 60% Caucasian
    Around 15% asian americans
    The rest a mix of other ethnicities

Googling:
    57% caucasian
    18% hispanic (completely forgot them, shame on me I suppose)
    12% African American
    6% Asian american
    and them the rest.

Not as far off as I thought to be honest. Although i did forget the hispanic population, which was my bad.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nask View Post
    If you are going to go for this "biological impossibility" angle you'd have to count out a lot of stuff in Silmarillion, LOTR, hobbit. What you wanted to say is "only things I DEEM PROPER" can be in. I don't remember anything about dwarves not being able to born with dark skin, you know, in a fantasy world where some humans live many times the normal lifespan, where elfs are a thing, god is thing, magic, ghosts, and so on.
    your comment tells me that your knowledge of the topic doesn't extend past what the peter jackson trilogy presented, furthermore, you clearly have ZERO FUCKING KNOWLDGE regarding how biology and genetic selection works AT ALL, otherwise you wouldn't have said such a stupid thing.

never once has anybody said that dwarves couldn't be born with slightly darker coloured skin, but to be a natural black colour as represented in this promotional material is a biological impossibility period, end of story, regardless of whether the setting is a fantasy world or not, (of which the rules of this world are VERY CLEARLY DEFINED by the original author in his myriad works of the source material describing in great detail how EVERY RACE of his world looked, acted and behaved), you don't just magically have a pure black child pop up from a pure white bloodline, it might have been possible if a dwarf and black human from the Harad region of middle earth had cross bred and that genetic pool had survived, but there's never been an inter species partnership of dwarves at any point in the history of middle earth, so again, it's an IMPOSSIBILITY, i'm genuinely wondering how people can't get this through their heads.

if you would be so kind, please state, in explicit detail where it's written in any the works of Tolkein, that black dwarves and elves exist, please show me the passage or sentence in any of the works that explains how these beings came to be in this form, i'm happy to wait until you have found the source of this information, because in all the times i have read these books, i have never once come across such writings, so either i skipped it, or it simply doesn't exist.

This show is dead if they butcher Annatar (aka Sauron).

Literally just copy his appearance from the videogame PLEASE, it's perfect:

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    your comment tells me that your knowledge of the topic doesn't extend past what the peter jackson trilogy presented, furthermore, you clearly have ZERO FUCKING KNOWLDGE regarding how biology and genetic selection works AT ALL, otherwise you wouldn't have said such a stupid thing.

never once has anybody said that dwarves couldn't be born with slightly darker coloured skin, but to be a natural black colour as represented in this promotional material is a biological impossibility period, end of story, regardless of whether the setting is a fantasy world or not, (of which the rules of this world are VERY CLEARLY DEFINED by the original author in his myriad works of the source material describing in great detail how EVERY RACE of his world looked, acted and behaved), you don't just magically have a pure black child pop up from a pure white bloodline, it might have been possible if a dwarf and black human from the Harad region of middle earth had cross bred and that genetic pool had survived, but there's never been an inter species partnership of dwarves at any point in the history of middle earth, so again, it's an IMPOSSIBILITY, i'm genuinely wondering how people can't get this through their heads.

if you would be so kind, please state, in explicit detail where it's written in any the works of Tolkein, that black dwarves and elves exist, please show me the passage or sentence in any of the works that explains how these beings came to be in this form, i'm happy to wait until you have found the source of this information, because in all the times i have read these books, i have never once come across such writings, so either i skipped it, or it simply doesn't exist.
    Tolkien actually never mentioned Dwarven skin color, so they theoretically could all be black. Maybe they should have gone with that angle. The fact of the matter is that they could be rainbow hued, mixed, mottled, or whatever else according to the source material. And I highly doubt they will have just this one black dwarf; there will be background dwarves that are black.

Just to expound on this further, if you would be so kind, please state, in explicit detail, how Men of the same lineage have different skin tones? Numenoreans were described as being both fair and swarthy, same with the descendants of Beor - that should be physically impossible right? If anything, Jackson whitewashed the original trilogy so badly that it stands out more now.
    Last edited by Nurasu; 2022-02-15 at 06:45 PM.

Ok no, I am not going to continue this. you are actually unhinged internet nerd throwing a massive tantrum. Thanks for the entertainment. "It isn't specifically said so it can't be true" lol. How do you function in life? If something isn't written for you, do you just stop working and thinking?
    Last edited by Nask; 2022-02-15 at 06:43 PM.

I love how these arguments always start and end, it always starts with a fan who cares about the source material and lore stating facts and some woke liberal tard muffin saying some stupid shit like "just because we've never seen a full on black dwarf before, who clearly would need to have 2 black parents to generically look like that skin color and that means their parents and their parents and we'd need to see like an entire other kingdom of dwarves who are strictly black for this to even be possible! doesn't mean black dwarves dont exist!!"

Then the lore nerd once more comes back with facts explaining why it's not possible within the realm of logic and lore

Then the liberal woke tard muffins always..ALWAYS fires back with the usual and typical "WHO CARES ITS JUST A FANTASY WORLD ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!"

lawl
    At the end of the day, staying true to the source material is all that matters. Personally, i'd find it rather insulting that the only way a show/company adds people of color to a show is by turning already created white characters into black ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Tolkien actually never mentioned Dwarven skin color, so they theoretically could all be black. Maybe they should have gone with that angle. The fact of the matter is that they could be rainbow hued, mixed, mottled, or whatever else according to the source material. And I highly doubt they will have just this one black dwarf; there will be background dwarves that are black.

Just to expound on this further, if you would be so kind, please state, in explicit detail, how Men of the same lineage have different skin tones? Numenoreans were described as being both fair and swarthy, same with the descendants of Beor - that should be physically impossible right? If anything, Jackson whitewashed the original trilogy so badly that it stands out more now.
    Yes maybe they should of gone with the angle that a race that lives in mountains and mines and rarely sees the sun...........should be black.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OokOok View Post
    I love how these arguments always start and end, it always starts with a fan who cares about the source material and lore stating facts and some woke liberal tard muffin saying some stupid shit like "just because we've never seen a full on black dwarf before, who clearly would need to have 2 black parents to generically look like that skin color and that means their parents and their parents and we'd need to see like an entire other kingdom of dwarves who are strictly black for this to even be possible! doesn't mean black dwarves dont exist!!"

Then the lore nerd once more comes back with facts explaining why it's not possible within the realm of logic and lore

Then the liberal woke tard muffins always..ALWAYS fires back with the usual and typical "WHO CARES ITS JUST A FANTASY WORLD ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!"

lawl
    At the end of the day, staying true to the source material is all that matters. Personally, i'd find it rather insulting that the only way a show/company adds people of color to a show is by turning already created white characters into black ones.
    As I stated two posts up, your "lore nerds" don't even apparently know the lore. Tolkien invented black Men seemingly out of genetic thin air.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    You make the mistake of thinking I think I'm well-versed in fantasy literature. I'm only as well-versed as someone who's only exposure to music is the radio's billboard top 100. My fantasy knowledge is only as deep as the ultra-popular things that ever make it to big-time. I had no idea what the fuck game of thrones was until it had a major screen adaptation.

I only know lord of the rings and got into it (reading the silmarillion) because the movies came out during my childhood and were super popular.
    I just find it odd that you go out of your way to question whether a fandom even exists when you admit that you never heard of Game of Thrones while admitting not having a deep knowledge of the popularity of fantasy outside of the 'ultra popular'. Well, you do acknowledge that fandoms exists beyond the ultra-popular right? So no need to question it.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-02-15 at 06:54 PM.