15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Like, if the Tolkien estate actually "approved" of this series, it's clear that the writers wouldn't have been so restricted.
    The Tolkien Estate has a seat on the creative table and veto power if things get to close to things they have deemed forbidden or things the rights do not cover. It has been widely reported that the Estate was okay with reinvention as long as it kept the spirit of Tolkien's work.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

You guys need to stop responding to kenn, he is trolling, I have already posted a soruce for the books selling more than the bullshit he is shilling, not to mention the sheer amount of things LotR inspiried, including ALL of modern fantasy, he is not worth your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    You guys need to stop responding to kenn, he is trolling, I have already posted a soruce for the books selling more than the bullshit he is shilling, not to mention the sheer amount of things LotR inspiried, including ALL of modern fantasy, he is not worth your time.
    Your source never stated when the sales actually happened, the one i just provided proves you wrong with no room for any doubt, try again with your incorrect information.

You already lost the argument about the sales numbers.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

15+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. Unfortunately some of the threads on this site end up getting dominated by a single troll just messing with the entire conversation. This thread has two - Rhorle and Kenn.
    The only one messing with the entire conversation here is yourself. You keep going off-topic to talk about certain posters. Just put both of us on ignore and you won't have worry about seeing our posts.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I think the story in this show is way too conveluted and hard to follow. I enjoyed the opening sequence with the expedition to find the eye. Then they jumput to a bunch of different characters talking about stuff I had no clue about.

I understand it's supposed to be a TV show that last a very long time, so the story has to be kinda long and complex.

I really think the show would benefit from the editors changing the storylines from this "let's check in on 6 different storylines in an episode" to just having 6 episodes that focus on 1 character at a time.

Too late for that I guess.

Not my cup of tea.

Lord of the Rings actor Bernard Hill says ‘money-making’ Rings of Power is ‘not the real thing’

Starring in one of the most successful JRR Tolkien adaptations of all time does not automatically mean you will like what comes next – and Bernard Hill is proof of this.

The actor, who played King Theoden in Peter Jacksons’ trilogy (2001-03), has criticised Amazon Prime Video’s high-budget series, calling it “a money-making venture”.

Hill told Metro in a new interview: “I’m not interested in watching that or being in it.”

He added: “Good luck to them and all that stuff, but it’s not like the real thing.”

When asked if Jackson’s film series should have put an end to further Lord of the Rings adaptations, Hill, 77, replied: “Completely, yes.”

He even said Jackson was “pushing it” by turning The Hobbit into three films.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Lord of the Rings actor Bernard Hill says ‘money-making’ Rings of Power is ‘not the real thing’

Starring in one of the most successful JRR Tolkien adaptations of all time does not automatically mean you will like what comes next – and Bernard Hill is proof of this.

The actor, who played King Theoden in Peter Jacksons’ trilogy (2001-03), has criticised Amazon Prime Video’s high-budget series, calling it “a money-making venture”.

Hill told Metro in a new interview: “I’m not interested in watching that or being in it.”

He added: “Good luck to them and all that stuff, but it’s not like the real thing.”

When asked if Jackson’s film series should have put an end to further Lord of the Rings adaptations, Hill, 77, replied: “Completely, yes.”

He even said Jackson was “pushing it” by turning The Hobbit into three films.
    Lucid man, now he will be attacked by all the isms like the rest of the fans are.

And i still think this was just a money laundry show that backfired astronomically

15+ Year Old Account
    Some new cast and one re-cast has been announced as well as some information about the shows "success".

https://press.amazonstudios.com/us/e...e-rings-of-p-4

The new cast members are: Gabriel Akuwudike, Yasen ‘Zates’ Atour, Ben Daniels, Amelia Kenworthy, Nia Towle, and Nicholas Woodeson. The role of Orc leader “Adar” has been recast for Season Two, and will be played by Sam Hazeldine.

The first season of The Rings of Power has been an unprecedented success, viewed by more than 100 million people worldwide, with more than 24 billion minutes streamed. The highly anticipated series attracted more than 25 million global viewers on its first day, marking the biggest premiere in the history of Prime Video, and also debuted as the No. 1 show on Nielsen’s overall streaming chart in its opening weekend. The show has also broken all previous Prime Video records for the most viewers, and has driven more Prime sign-ups worldwide during its launch window than any other previous content. Additionally, The Rings of Power is the top Original series in every region—North America, Europe, APAC, LATAM, and the rest of the world. The season finale also created a global cultural moment, with multiple series-themed hashtags, including #TheRingsofPower and others, trending in 27 countries across Twitter for over 426 cumulative hours throughout the weekend.

Big oof about the recasting of Adar--one of the few interesting characters in the show for me.

Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    Big oof about the recasting of Adar--one of the few interesting characters in the show for me.
    Adar is one of the better performances in this show. I really hope the new guy is able to fill the shoes.

Good performance but he’s in the wrong show. Tolkien’s orcs are irredeemable. I don’t need morally grey orcs, and I suspect that’s what we’re gonna get in season 2 - some sort of power struggle between Adar the “good” orc and Sauron that ends with Sauron beating Adar and bringing the Orcs back to evil.
    To be honest, this series is so far removed from LOTR lore that I don't consider it the same thing at all.

It's Shadows of Mordor/War level of doing its own thing. So in that respect, I'm all in for the Adar plotline as long as they can keep it interesting. I think there's plenty of potential there. Much more than whatever they were thinking with the Stranger and the mystics.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing what they do with Rhun though, even if this series is a mess. I still like what they did with the set designs and location work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Some new cast and one re-cast has been announced as well as some information about the shows "success".

https://press.amazonstudios.com/us/e...e-rings-of-p-4

The new cast members are: Gabriel Akuwudike, Yasen ‘Zates’ Atour, Ben Daniels, Amelia Kenworthy, Nia Towle, and Nicholas Woodeson. The role of Orc leader “Adar” has been recast for Season Two, and will be played by Sam Hazeldine.

And why recast Adar, one of the few OK characters? and not, lets say, the entire elven and numenorian cast? LULULUL

The first season of The Rings of Power has been an unprecedented success
    HAHAHAHAHA

Thanks mate, i genuinely laught out hard.

The season finale also created a global cultural moment, with multiple series-themed hashtags, including #TheRingsofPower and others, trending in 27 countries across Twitter for over 426 cumulative hours throughout the weekend.[/I]
    Straight up a lie, rings of power did not "trend" and the "cultural moment was barely inexistant, it was entirely demolished by house of the dragon

- - - Updated - - -

Good performance but he’s in the wrong show. Tolkien’s orcs are irredeemable.
    Tolkien said they can be, everything with a mortal soul can.

He just didn't had time to expand on that concept, because well, he died. He didn't even finish orcs origins, and people just use the one his son shove into the later boooks

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA

Thanks mate, i genuinely laught out hard.
    It's literally Amazon's website, so I'm not surprised by the wording they used, hahaha

Tolkien said they can be, everything with a mortal soul can.

He just didn't had time to expand on that concept, because well, he died. He didn't even finish orcs origins, and people just use the one his son shove into the later boooks
    Indeed, that was something people overlook when they say "noooo Orcs need to be evuhl". The fact of the matter is that Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings as a Catholic parable, and that ultimately it would contradict his Catholic belief system for Orcs to be ultimately irredeemable. Although they are portrayed as fairly single-minded villains in most of the mainline canon, it's because the ultimate intention was that the Orcish armies in those stories serve as a representation of evil in general for good to triumph over. As individuals, Orcs could theoretically be redeemed, they just aren't redeemed in Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit because their army serves as a stand-in for the concept of evil in itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Oh, you mean an Ad Populum fallacy?

No. Just because a lot of people like something doesn't mean it is "objectively good." You just don't understand what objectivity is.
    What do you mean? When has the majority ever been in the wrong? /s

15+ Year Old Account
    Straight up a lie, rings of power did not "trend" and the "cultural moment was barely inexistant, it was entirely demolished by house of the dragon
    https://getdaytrends.com/trend/%23RingsOfPower/

It is strange how some people can never accepting anything "good" about the show and must label things lies. Just as the show has been an unprecedented success for Prime Video if it "has driven more Prime sign-ups worldwide during its launch window than any other previous content". You don't consider that a success for a subscription based service (both as a secondary benefit to Amazon Prime and a stand alone subscription service)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    https://getdaytrends.com/trend/%23RingsOfPower/

It is strange how some people can never accepting anything "good" about the show and must label things lies. Just as the show has been an unprecedented success for Prime Video if it "has driven more Prime sign-ups worldwide during its launch window than any other previous content". You don't consider that a success for a subscription based service (both as a secondary benefit to Amazon Prime and a stand alone subscription service)
    https://getdaytrends.com/trend/%23HouseOfTheDragon/

Its not a success, it was a massive bomb, HotD was a success

https://getdaytrends.com/trend/%23HouseOfTheDragon/

Its not a success, it was a massive bomb, HotD was a success
    Interesting how RoP got under 10k tweets, and HotD got over half a million

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Ah it’s always great to check the thread, I see we’re now in the deny reality phase and topping all of Primes records means a show bombed.

I wonder what shows like boys or invincible must be if the bar for a show even bombing is so high.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Ah it’s always great to check the thread, I see we’re now in the deny reality phase and topping all of Primes records means a show bombed.

I wonder what shows like boys or invincible must be if the bar for a show even bombing is so high.
    Shows are not created equal. There are no absolute numbers something has to cross to succeed or fail, it's all relative to factors like cost/investment, expectations, competition, etc.

That's why bringing up absolute numbers RoP broke is a little stupid. It cost A BILLION DOLLARS and has the might of one of the biggest fantasy franchises of all time behind it. It needs to perform RELATIVE TO THAT, not relative to some other show based on a comic book satire 5,000 people on the planet had even heard of before.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Ah it’s always great to check the thread, I see we’re now in the deny reality phase
    What are you talking about, people have being denying reality since the first images appear, denying it would be garbage, and it was.

Great comparison, as always, false equivalence prevail.

Like people Said, this IP was huge and they put almost a billion dollars to it, not counting how much they put to advertise, series needed to be big hit to pay off, and it didn't, it was a failure for what wanted to(be the next got)