Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Usually yes, but why it can't be vocal majorities now and then?
    Because the reality is the silent majority doesn't care enough to engage in enthusiast-level online discussions. They just consume it as is. People like your uncle or workmate or dentist who casually watch these kind of shows and don't care enough to go online to talk about it. Majority of people who consume TV and film are silent about their opinions. Yes, even in this age of Twitter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I'll disagree a little that there was no real buzz while it was airing, I'd argue there was for certain parts/scenes. But, as we've seen, it just gets drowned out by the bickering. I'm sure we're both guilty on that front, to some degree, tbf.
    I was talking about the show in general online. My bad with the context and phrasing, I should have clarified that in the second paragraph when I separated the statement. Like, it had a ridiculously low online presence when it aired, and barely got any retweets for a show as big as it was. Here, yes, there was plenty of buzz; though like you said it was more like bickering than buzzing. Well, still is.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2023-02-21 at 09:58 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Because the reality is the silent majority doesn't care enough to engage in enthusiast-level online discussions. They just consume it as is. People like your uncle or workmate or dentist who casually watch these kind of shows and don't care enough to go online to talk about it. Majority of people who consume TV and film are silent about their opinions. Yes, even in this age of Twitter.
    Of course more people will not engage online than people that do, but that doesn't mean people engaging online are not in huge numbers as well. Its the reflection of ips being popular or having a faithful fanbase. Same way people were vitriolic online about the prequels and the sequels from star wars, people were pissed about what the show did to tolkien work.

I never saw that many people complaining/shitting on the show in social media and youtube before.

Of course more people will not engage online than people that do, but that doesn't mean people engaging online are not in huge numbers as well.
    Vocal minority is in contrast to silent majority, not in relation to other opposing vocal minorities.

No one uses the term 'vocal majority'. Vocal minority is always in reference to the Silent majority who aren't expressing any strong opinions either way.

What you're talking about is two different vocal minority groups opposing each other's opinions. It has nothing to do with what I mentioned about vocal minorities in the post you responded to, I want to be clear.

Fan hatred is a byproduct of vocal minorities and echochambers. That's about it.

You frequent echochambers, and you're mistaking the vocal minority to be representating a bigger chunk of the population than it really is. Whether we're talking about the online websites like boundingintocomics or youtube critics or forums like this, we're talking about echo-chambers with the same group of people who repeat the same opinion over and over again.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2023-02-21 at 10:47 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Vocal minority is in contrast to silent majority, not in relation to other opposing vocal minorities.

No one uses the term 'vocal majority'. Vocal minority is always in reference to the Silent majority who aren't expressing any strong opinions either way.

What you're talking about is two different vocal minority groups opposing each other's opinions. It has nothing to do with what I mentioned about vocal minorities in the post you responded to, I want to be clear.

Fan hatred is a byproduct of vocal minorities and echochambers. That's about it.
    What i merely saying is, the "vocal minority" is not that minor, at all. And fan hatred is not about echochambers. You can hate it and not talk about it

If you think im mistaking about vocal minority i think you are underestimating how big is the amount of people who voiced their dislike on the show.

What i merely saying is, the "vocal minority" is not that minor, at all.
    How many people would you figure is not minor? 10,000 people? 100,000? 1,000,000?

And are we seeing an online presence of this many people ALL complaining about the series and thinking it is terrible?

Put things into perspective. There are supposedly 100 million views of this show, worldwide. Even if 1m people worldwide collectively go online to say how terrible the show is, that would still be only 1% of the total viewership numbers this show has. And let's be real - there isn't even a vocal minority in the 100,000's on twitter who are all collectively saying how bad this show is. Even the official RoP twitter account has like 34.k people on it, and the show never really got major online buzz talking good OR bad about the show in general.

If you want to ever talk about a significant vocal minority, you need to put it in perspective of the total amount of viewers this show actually has and what that compares to.

If you think im mistaking about vocal minority i think you are underestimating how big is the amount of people who voiced their dislike on the show.
    Even if we're talking about people in the hundreds or thousands going on twitter to voice their opinion, it's really nothing compared to the 100m total viewers this show has worldwide, and the silent majority who don't care to talk about it at all publicly.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2023-02-21 at 11:34 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    How many people would you figure is not minor?
    that is another subject, but i say its more than minor if you can have this big of turmoil in social media and youtube.

Take by example Willow, a garbage show, that does not get the same hate, even when its worse, why? because its a ip barely someone care about, people complaining about then are minor compared to the ones complaining about lets say, game of thrones season 8 rings of power, the sequels.

Even if we're talking about people in the hundreds or thousands going on twitter to voice their opinion, it's really nothing compared to the 100m total viewers this show has worldwide, and the silent majority who don't care to talk about it at all publicly.
    Right, but also, the point is, fan hatred is not just because echochambers, and even the people who hate it, and didn't voice online, direct affect the show performance and future. Because this person will not recommend to other people, hell, he would discourage people to watch it.

that is another subject
    No, it is not.

If you're going to respond to me about the use of 'vocal minority' then we're talking about vocal minorities. If you want to talk about something else entirely then don't bother responding about this specific thing and calling it a 'vocal majority'.

- - - Updated - - -

Right, but also, the point is, fan hatred is not just because echochambers, and even the people who hate it, and didn't voice online, direct affect the show performance and future. Because this person will not recommend to other people, hell, he would discourage people to watch it.
    You know what, I'll give you this one.

You're right. I should have said 'Fans who express hatred online'. I was being too general in that phrasing.

But either way, my point in that was that it's not a big deal overall, since fans who hated something will still end up watching if they're interested enough, especially if there's simply a lack of alternatives. The real killer for any show is a complete lack of interest, not if fans actively hate a show, because even the haters will end up watching.

It's kind of the same deal for videogames. You have people who can swear up and down about how much they hate a certain game, but most of the time these people are actually still playing the very game they hate, and it still contributes to the game overall. It would be more damning if they just lost interest and stopped playing altogether instead.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2023-02-22 at 12:02 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    ITs valid to create a new thread to talk about tolkien stuff, since we are going to have war of the rohirrim in the future, so this thread can be buried in shame.

I need to see that movie first, if they will be able to pull something decent with something that does not have their own book

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really anywhere else to put this, and at least it's related. Someone can make a new thread if they want. I'm not going through that on mobile lol

More ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Movies In Works As Warner Bros & New Line Strike Rights Deal

I'm sure folks will recall that New Line released Peter Jackson's trilogy.
    The 4 main stories Tolkien had in mind are:

1- The story of Tuor and the fall of Gondolin;
    2- The story of Turin Turambar and the sons of Hurin;
    3- The story of Beren and Luthien;
    4- The story of Earendill.

So plenty of lore for new movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really anywhere else to put this, and at least it's related. Someone can make a new thread if they want. I'm not going through that on mobile lol

More ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Movies In Works As Warner Bros & New Line Strike Rights Deal

I'm sure folks will recall that New Line released Peter Jackson's trilogy.
    time to get rip roaring drunk. Only way I can be happy about this news in 2023.

good for those excited about this, but after Rings of Power (which I did not HATE by the way, make that clear, I thought it was just 'okay) I do not have faith in more movies from this franchise being done today' I don't care if its the same studio behind the original. That was 20+ years ago. Which in hindsight is depressing to know.

I may be just boomer yelling at clouds right now, but movies, more so big blockbuster movies today, (there are still a lot of good movies out there) are all horrible. Especially ones that cater to the braindead MCU crowd. I can only see this franchise being inserted with in jokes, modern day comparisons, one liners and quips, and dead ass dull lead characters disguised as interesting characters.
    Last edited by Orby; 2023-02-24 at 03:07 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    (Numenor had like 4 ships, characters teleporting)
    Numenor is shown to have at least a dozen big ships with smaller ones in the CGI shot when Galadriel and Halbrand first sail in. The Queen only authorized 5 ships to go because she feared being ousted for giving more to an Elvish cause.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Numenor is shown to have at least a dozen big ships with smaller ones in the CGI shot when Galadriel and Halbrand first sail in. The Queen only authorized 5 ships to go because she feared being ousted for giving more to an Elvish cause.
    OMG a dozen that's still tiny as fuck for a whole nation

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    So you would want to watch an hour of just ships? Lmao. Sometimes you haters pick the weirdest things to whine about and I'm not sure why.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

You know better than to feed the trolls like that.

7+ Year Old Account
    isn't like 3 small ships that were able to carry 300 soldiers and horses and supplies? there was even a meme about

15+ Year Old Account
    isn't like 3 small ships that were able to carry 300 soldiers and horses and supplies?
    100 people and horses isn't that crazy for a ship to carry. A 17th century Ship of the Line could carry 1,200 crew and cargo. This is just yet again the ever shifting goal posts to whine about the show.

100 people and horses isn't that crazy for a ship to carry. A 17th century Ship of the Line could carry 1,200 crew and cargo. This is just yet again the ever shifting goal posts to whine about the show.
    800-900 crew...for the largest ship of the line...in the 17th century.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah m8, but that was not a 17th century ship, it was a tiny ass ship, it can't carry that.

Guys stop picking on Rhorle, I mean its not like he watched the show to see the tiny ass boats they used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Guys stop picking on Rhorle, I mean its not like he watched the show to see the tiny ass boats they used.
    Isn't it strange how you often post just to attack me yet continually say I'm the problem here. Lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah m8, but that was not a 17th century ship, it was a tiny ass ship, it can't carry that.
    What are the dimensions? Surely if you know there ships can't carry stuff you would know that? Or is this another case of "I hate the show so I'm right"? It is entirely possible that they picked up horses in Pelargir as well as transports for them. The horses brought from Numenor could have just been for officers and other "important" crew.

They were by no means "tiny" ships. What would you describe the rowboats shown on the show if way larger ships are "tiny". Lol.