Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Thanks for telling me what I think. You must be omniscient! What's that like?
    Have you even had an actual conversation with him before claiming to care about his opinion?

What is his actual stance on the show, what does he like, and what doesn't he like about the show? What episodes did he enjoy more than others? Do you actually know what his opinion is?

Wow, there are a crazy amount of Amazon Executives who post on MMO champ, who woulda thought it! Before this thread I had no idea!

Not sure why I bother reading MMO threads on tv and movies anymore, it's like a giant echo chamber.

- - - Updated - - -

Your position is mystifying. The whole reason people come to this thread is to hear opinions and share their own, comparing them with others. I don't run everyone through a vetting process before deciding whether I care about their opinions. I care about opinions I disagree with (except Rhorle's and Kenn's) and opinions I don't disagree with. I care about your opinion - we agree and disagree sometimes. But it feels like all of this should be obvious.

Are you saying that anytime someone posts, you pm them to ask them all those questions before you decide whether you care about it? Because that's what your post is directly saying you have to do to decide whether you care about their opinion.

I do have a serious problem with the "you're just a guy on the internet" argument because it's sophomoric - we're all just guys on the internet.
    The problem is not people having opinions and sharing those opinions. It's people who are "just guys on the internet" having opinions they have no place having, either by misrepresenting facts or simply claiming "nobody I know" blah blah.

Having opinions is fine when related to subjective things. Presenting facts is fine. Subverting facts to support opinions is not fine.

Specific to this thread, I disagree with the people who use the "corporation is always right" argument as a reason to disagree with a poster. Corporations do dumb things all the time. And corporations misrepresent the truth all the time. I think the "Amazon said it so it must be true" thing isn't legit - or it's cousin, the "so you're saying they committed a crime by misleading investors" nonsense argument.

Look at the Metaverse. Facebook spent 10 billion on it in 2021 and at the end of 2021 they were so convinced it was going well that they changed their name to Meta. There were lots of people expressing skepticism about that strategy, but I feel like some posters here would say, "Well they must know better than you, you're a random guy on the internet." Fast forward to today and another 13 billion has been lost and the Metaverse is dead.
    So true. Also, everyone on MMOC is a business expert. Literally the same guys posting over and over how giant billion dollar businesses need/should to do X and Y for money. As if you have any idea lmao.

I do have a serious problem with the "you're just a guy on the internet" argument because it's sophomoric - we're all just guys on the internet.
    Like you can tell me you care about homeless people too, but sentiment doesn't really get far if all you have is thoughts and prayers. What I'm talking about is care to the point of making actual change, as in people in power reading these opinions and taking action.

No one who can actually make a difference gives a fuck about our opinions. It's nice that you care about his opinions, but as you said, we're all just guys on the internet, and that level of care is not being taken to heart beyond thoughts and prayers'.

And it's not to say that we shouldn't voice anything, I'm making a statement about the people at Amazon literally not caring about the feedback.

I'd say the guys at Paramount and Blur Studios did right by listening to the Sonic fans to get Ugly Sonic changed. But Amazon isn't either of them, and they don't seem to give a fuck about anything remotely critical about the series.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2023-04-12 at 04:12 AM.

I mean, overall on this forum if I want someone's opinion, I'll ask them, not another person. It's generally better to get your opinions firsthand than secondhand.
    But that's kind of the point.

Ignorance isn't exactly the same as caring, is it? If you don't actually know the opinion being expressed, I wouldn't really consider it caring about it.

'Guy on the internet' is a matter of merely tolerating and accepting that everyone has opinions, not necessarily caring about them. Of course, we're probably getting into debate of semantics, so I'll leave it at that, since what I intended in my original message was about people in charge of the show caring about opinions, not just everyone in general. I will admit I worded poorly, and you caught a poorly worded response and had replied to it before I edited something more applicable and less broadly general.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2023-04-12 at 04:30 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    No one says you can't believe differently.

The point of bringing Amazon into the equation is because the show will go on despite what any of us want to believe. And that's more of a success than a series like Willow will ever get.
    It will go on because they have a contract to go for 5 seasons, despite being dogshite. Like Halo is getting another season too, because the contract was for 2 seasons

And being more success than something like Willow, is not rly a good metric.

Regarding Amazon - I think the series is a disaster, and I think it makes sense for Amazon to renew it for season 2. The reputational hit of cancelling the series right now would be huge for their Prime Video venture because this is definitely the most visible show on the service. So if I were them and my livelihood depended on it, I would be doing something similar to what they are doing right now - finding every way to spin things positively and changing the show around. They've stated in interviews that the first seasons required a lot of the ground to be laid and less lore, which I interpreted as a damage control statement.
    Regardless of whether it is an actual success, or damage control, we both acknowledge that the show would go on regardless of the good or bad reactions that have been directed at it. It doesn't sound like they're interested in actually taking public feedback into consideration. If they don't give a fuck about the opinions, then our opinions obviously aren't really going to be changed. It's going to be more of the same content, while the reactions and opinions wouldn't really change much either.

And being more success than something like Willow, is not rly a good metric.
    It beat out plenty of good shows as well in terms of ratings. Andor wouldn't come close to the numbers that RoP got.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2023-04-12 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by liyroot View Post
    So true. Also, everyone on MMOC is a business expert. Literally the same guys posting over and over how giant billion dollar businesses need/should to do X and Y for money. As if you have any idea lmao.
    You don't have to be a chef to know when the kitchen is on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    It will go on because they have a contract to go for 5 seasons, despite being dogshite. Like Halo is getting another season too, because the contract was for 2 seasons
    Halo season 2 was approved by the studios before the first season even came out. It had nothing to do with being forced to create a second season. Amazon can create 5 seasons of their show but none of the contract leaks indicate they are forced to no matter what. That is a poor contract for both Amazon and the Tolkien estate.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Oh dear, some guy wrote a fanfic 'sequel' to LotR, unauthorised of course, published it on Amazon - and now is suing Amazon and the Tolkien estate, claiming they plagiarised his 'copyrighted' work in RoP.

https://radaronline.com/p/jeff-bezos...amazon-series/

Someone is about to get wrecked.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Oh dear, some guy wrote a fanfic 'sequel' to LotR, unauthorised of course, published it on Amazon - and now is suing Amazon and the Tolkien estate, claiming they plagiarised his 'copyrighted' work in RoP.

https://radaronline.com/p/jeff-bezos...amazon-series/

Someone is about to get wrecked.
    lmao! what a trainwreack if it end up being true.

Im just going to say, it makes totally sense, we said multiple times this shit isn't lord of the rings or tolkien stuff, and it reeks of fanfic with a totally different and nonsensical plot, this might be the reason

15+ Year Old Account
    lmao! what a trainwreack if it end up being true.
    It isn't true at all. The guys book doesn't even take place in the same time period and is a whole bunch of crazy. He is hoping to gain support from all the haters that will totally back his claim just because they don't like Rings of Power and maybe use that to convince the judge.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It isn't true at all. The guys book doesn't even take place in the same time period and is a whole bunch of crazy. He is hoping to gain support from all the haters that will totally back his claim just because they don't like Rings of Power and maybe use that to convince the judge.
    It doesn't need to be in the same time period to rip-off, rings of power fucks all over the place the timeline as well

There isn't a case of "gaining support from haters" they need to prove if it was stolen or not

15+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't need to be in the same time period to rip-off, rings of power fucks all over the place the timeline as well
    So the daughter of Samwise appears in Rings of Power? You might want to learn how comical the work is before trying to defend it even just a little. Gaining support of haters can cause articles, comparisons, etc to happen that might be enough to use as "evidence" in a court case. Flimsy for sure but there are people that hate Rings of Power enough to put in the work to try and make it happen.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    So the daughter of Samwise appears in Rings of Power? You might want to learn how comical the work is before trying to defend it even just a little. Gaining support of haters can cause articles, comparisons, etc to happen that might be enough to use as "evidence" in a court case. Flimsy for sure but there are people that hate Rings of Power enough to put in the work to try and make it happen.
    Stop with the conspiracy theories. Courts decide upon actual and relevant evidence presented, not upon support of a claimant from society. There's no work that someone can do to "try and make it happen".
    /spit@Blizzard

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Stop with the conspiracy theories. Courts decide upon actual and relevant evidence presented, not upon support of a claimant from society. There's no work that someone can do to "try and make it happen".
    Evidence of "copying" can come from any source. You don't think there are fans motivated by hate to try and prove that Amazon copied stuff? There is at least one website devoted to hating on Rings of Power even before it released. Evidence is evidence it doesn't matter who collected facts as long as it is used by the lawyers. This isn't a criminal proceeding with a chain of evidence.

I'm not pushing any conspiracy either. I'm just saying that motivated people could help search for any evidence of copying if it does exist. How is that a conspiracy theory?

Looks like a repeat of the Stranger Things lawsuit. One creator thinks the other copied them without realizing they are both creating derivative works off the same source material.

7+ Year Old Account
    You do have a rly hard time about simple things like this right?

The show can rip off the book without taking "sam's daughter", they can also take the character, but the show can name her Nori Brandyfoot

No decent writer would want their work to be associate with this dogshit show, unless they indeed stole it, so again, better wait for things to unfold before affirming anything

and i ned to take this piece that you said:

You might want to learn how comical the work is before trying to defend it even just a little
    This is just gold and platinum, do YOU realize how comical awful the show rings of power is, and you are here every time defending?

15+ Year Old Account
    You do have a rly hard time about simple things like this right?
    Projecting? The show can't rip off things if the book is about different subjects entirely, right? It is also hilarious that you are blindly calling this person "a decent author". Did you even look into the book in question before white knighting for it? You are letting you hate for the show elevate a terrible fan fiction just because they are against the show.

The author suing is even illegally profiting from Tolkien's work and claims ownership of characters Tolkien created. It is amazing how blindly you hate on the show and surround yourself with it.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2023-04-20 at 09:54 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Projecting? The show can't rip off things if the book is about different subjects entirely, right?
    So you don't know what plagiarism is, right?

Did you even look into the book in question before white knighting for it? You are letting you hate for the show elevate a terrible fan fiction just because they are against the show.
    The show is also terrible fanfiction dude, its literally not the story of the second age either, there is plot that don't exist in tolkien works

The magic sword that is a key to open a floodgate to erupt mordor? tolkien never wrote that shit, what if that is a plot form the book this guy made? i don't know, you don't know, unless you read the book, thats why im saying we need to waint for things to unfold

youa re the one projecting in fact.