1. #1101
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I thought it was brilliantly executed. But Star Wars fans are like, the most reductive assholes on the internet who A) cling to character archetypes of characters from 40 years ago, not accepting change, and B) only accept change if it's spelled out explicitly in 2 decades worth of now-defunct EU books.
    You call that brilliant executed? It was a 10 second flashback with little context, they basically said the guy who never gave up on his father, Darth Vader, gave into doubt sudden with his nephew? That snoke from across the fucking galaxy was poisoning his thoughts? It was shit tier execution with terrible/no build up, just thrown at us as a surprise!

    If you don't want to proper build up this monumental fuckup/failing of a major character (lets be real, while Luke isn't the main character of the sequels, he is a major one, and was a driving force in people wanting to see the film, as the character has a massive legacy) and instead we got, cause it happened!

    Honestly would have been 1000x better just to have him send Kylo out on missions to prove himself a Jedi, and Kylo run into Snook and fall to his corruption, and that cause Luke to feel he failed as a Teacher/Uncle and abandon his work starting the order again. Even then I don't think the character of Luke presented in 4-6 would have fucked off to an island and ignore his now evil Nephew and abandon his sister, like he did in the movie. Sorry my expectations for movies is higher than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

  2. #1102
    Anyway...

    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    palate cleanser :P

    No matter what, there will always be the Jackson trilogy. Thank fuck he made them when he did. They still hold up well now. One or two of those forced perspective shots look really bad though, especially the scene where Frodo and Gandalf are talking to each other across the table in Bag End. But I think they always looked bad tbh. The balrog still looks amazing.

  3. #1103
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    12,808
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Anyway...



    No matter what, there will always be the Jackson trilogy. Thank fuck he made them when he did. They still hold up well now. One or two of those forced perspective shots look really bad though, especially the scene where Frodo and Gandalf are talking to each other across the table in Bag End. But I think they always looked bad tbh. The balrog still looks amazing.
    Glad I wasnt the only one who thought that. The forced perspective of them on the cart at the beginning still holds up though. some of the CGI also aged badly like Legolas skirting down the Oliphaunts after dismantling it in RotK. a lot of the Legolass scenes for that matter lol. But the Gollum stuff still holds up so wel (and yes the Baelrog stuff too still looks great)
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

    Unsubbed since 2020, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

  4. #1104
    Another take on the painting "American Gothic;"

  5. #1105
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Glad I wasnt the only one who thought that. The forced perspective of them on the cart at the beginning still holds up though. some of the CGI also aged badly like Legolas skirting down the Oliphaunts after dismantling it in RotK. a lot of the Legolass scenes for that matter lol. But the Gollum stuff still holds up so wel (and yes the Baelrog stuff too still looks great)
    It looks so bad lol



    What's up with all the Star Wars shite ITT?

  6. #1106
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    You know the like/dislike function is for the actual teaser video and not for the series itself?
    You know we've had several pages of whiners crying about a fucking teaser that isn't worth watching in the first place.

    Don't watch teasers. Don't watch trailers. Watch the fucking TV show.

  7. #1107
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    You know we've had several pages of whiners crying about a fucking teaser that isn't worth watching in the first place.

    Don't watch teasers. Don't watch trailers. Watch the fucking TV show.
    Tell Amazon to not release trailers then if you have a problem with the concept.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

  8. #1108
    Yeah, fuck us LOTR fans for having the temerity to watch a trailer for a LOTR show.

  9. #1109
    Pretty sure we'll all watch the first couple shows...

  10. #1110
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Pretty sure we'll all watch the first couple shows...
    Agreed, I'll probably watch them all whatever happens, I just like to know.

    Won't be too excited about it though

  11. #1111
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Pretty sure we'll all watch the first couple shows...
    Eh with how god awful The Rafe of Time was I'll wait for and see if any friends recommend LOTR, Amazon fucked WoT up so badly if I don't hear positives from friends I will pass on LOTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

  12. #1112
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Yeah, fuck us LOTR fans for having the temerity to watch a trailer for a LOTR show.
    Not sure why we're pretending it's "LOTR fans" watching and vote-bombing the trailer. I mean...just look at the comments section, see everyone spamming that same quote, and try to tell me this is a genuine reaction...

  13. #1113
    Elemental Lord Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    8,186
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Not sure why we're pretending it's "LOTR fans" watching and vote-bombing the trailer. I mean...just look at the comments section, see everyone spamming that same quote, and try to tell me this is a genuine reaction...
    I think they went full Twitch chat copypasta spam.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  14. #1114
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Not sure why we're pretending it's "LOTR fans" watching and vote-bombing the trailer. I mean...just look at the comments section, see everyone spamming that same quote, and try to tell me this is a genuine reaction...
    No doubt a lot of those commenters are just riding the meme wave, but LOTR has a huge fan base and it's not surprising to me that a large number of them might react negatively to the direction of the show. It would be silly to write the show off at this point though. I'm still going to watch it (the first episode, at least) in case it is actually good.

  15. #1115
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    12,808
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    It looks so bad lol



    What's up with all the Star Wars shite ITT?
    I dunno how that started, been trying to pivot the conversation back though :P

    Also I dont seem as mad as most when it comes to the teaser trailer, I am still waiting for the show to launch before I can come to any definitive opinion despite some of the cringe choices Amazon are making (like that video they took down), what makes and break for me is the story.

    I have played and liked the Middle Earth Shadow of war games despite how much they fucked with the canon, so this show will likely have the same effect. I think its pretty much confirmed that its not going to be as good as the original trilogy, that's a given and I am fine with that. So my expectations are satisfyingly low. Also it could be shit, and if it is I'll judge it then. There's literally nothing to go on via that Teaser, I'll wait.

    I see people online (youtube) already make essay long videos about why it sucks... and I am here like 'wait the fuck up'. Save it for when the show comes out lol.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-02-21 at 03:50 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

    Unsubbed since 2020, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

  16. #1116
    At this point I'm seriously rooting for the show to succeed. Amazon did a shitty thing making sure trailer's going to create as much of a media buzz as possible, but hey, can't blame them seeing how this thread is around 50 pages of people complaining about lack of facial hair on female dwarf faces. You know that one could just have fucking shaved it off, right? Tolkien never did claim that dwarven beards are made of titanium.

    Speaking of that guy, while I love his work (LotR is among the first "big boy" novels I've ever read), he does have a very reductionist view when it comes to adaptations and extensions of his stories. After reading some of his letters he does come across as a person who'd throw fit at a director for making elven eyebrows a bit too bushy. He'd absolutely hate LotR trilogy, which wasn't afraid to say that the Bombadil stuff was a bit too tedious and boring to include in a movie. Not to mention Shadow of Mordor. Both of those pretty awesome projects wouldn't even see the light of day if Tolkien's view of "adaptation" were adhered to - which means pretty much "copy EVERYTHING from my books and just glue it to the other medium, logic be damned".

    When it comes to the trailer - aside of some obvious mediabait stuff (dwarf, dark-skinned elves, woman in armor - the nerve, right) it displayed some gorgeous landscapes that bring back the memories of Jackson trilogy. So I'm hopeful. Amazon made some pretty sick adaptations already, maybe this one will stick the landing too.

  17. #1117
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    12,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    At this point I'm seriously rooting for the show to succeed. Amazon did a shitty thing making sure trailer's going to create as much of a media buzz as possible, but hey, can't blame them seeing how this thread is around 50 pages of people complaining about lack of facial hair on female dwarf faces. You know that one could just have fucking shaved it off, right? Tolkien never did claim that dwarven beards are made of titanium.

    Speaking of that guy, while I love his work (LotR is among the first "big boy" novels I've ever read), he does have a very reductionist view when it comes to adaptations and extensions of his stories. After reading some of his letters he does come across as a person who'd throw fit at a director for making elven eyebrows a bit too bushy. He'd absolutely hate LotR trilogy, which wasn't afraid to say that the Bombadil stuff was a bit too tedious and boring to include in a movie. Not to mention Shadow of Mordor. Both of those pretty awesome projects wouldn't even see the light of day if Tolkien's view of "adaptation" were adhered to - which means pretty much "copy EVERYTHING from my books and just glue it to the other medium, logic be damned".

    When it comes to the trailer - aside of some obvious mediabait stuff (dwarf, dark-skinned elves, woman in armor - the nerve, right) it displayed some gorgeous landscapes that bring back the memories of Jackson trilogy. So I'm hopeful. Amazon made some pretty sick adaptations already, maybe this one will stick the landing too.
    Tolkein was very anti TV or adaptation, he hated TV in general, he hated that format. He never wanted his books adapted down that route. which is funny when I see people saying 'Rings of Power is shitting on Tolkiens legacy' when by default the original trilogy did that by just being made. Doesn't matter if you liked it or not, Tolkien never got his say, but he was open to suggestions and offers, but he would have never liked the idea.

    There was a video one of his releatives made too
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-02-21 at 04:03 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

    Unsubbed since 2020, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

  18. #1118
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    lol I doubt these "superfans" have read a single tolkien book...



    this is one the cringest thing I ever watched

  19. #1119
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Tolkein was very anti TV or adaptation, he hated TV in general, he hated that format. He never wanted his books adapted down that route. which is funny when I see people saying 'Rings of Power is shitting on Tolkiens legacy' when by default the original trilogy did that by just being made. Doesn't matter if you liked it or not, Tolkien never got his say, but he was open to suggestions and offers, but he would have never liked the idea.
    Tolkien died in 1973, if I had spent decades conjuring up a epic world in my imagination and someone wanted to bring it to life with effects and costumes that existed in the 50s and 60s I'd probably hate the idea as well.

  20. #1120
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    14,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Tolkein was very anti TV or adaptation, he hated TV in general, he hated that format. He never wanted his books adapted down that route. which is funny when I see people saying 'Rings of Power is shitting on Tolkiens legacy' when by default the original trilogy did that by just being made. Doesn't matter if you liked it or not, Tolkien never got his say, but he was open to suggestions and offers, but he would have never liked the idea.
    People already know that. Even Christopher didn't like the films. And The Hobbit was bad which most people concede but at least it wasn't complete fan fiction nonsense despite it taking a lot of creative liberties which is what we know this show will be since the producers have admitted as much. Peter Jackson went out of his way to try and remain as faithful to the LOTR novels as possible while also understanding that there are some moments where you have to take a bit of creative liberty when adapting something to film. But we also know that JRR Tolkien was a stickler for people respecting the work that he created and lambasted anyone who tried. I doubt he would have approved of Peter Jackson's work, but I get the feeling that it would have been less disproval than whatever the two-bit hacks in Hollywood are trying to do to his characters with this show.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •