1. #1241
    Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    B'ham, AL
    Posts
    1,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Well being a poor humanities professor I just don't have the disposable cash to subscribe to every streaming service out there to watch a series I MIGHT like only to find out it sucks 2 episodes in.

    You seem to have that kind of money and that's cool, I myself do not.
    Oh I don't either - I use a jailbroke Firestick (fully legal); I actually don't pay for any streaming service outside of basic cable-internet (while watching all of them).

    I also rarely watch any show 'on launch' - many times I'm starting or watching shows weeks if not months after release. And by then we (you, me, everyone) has a better idea about what IS perhaps worth the time to see if I like it and what is "total trash." (heck even if I don't want to know and haven't bothered to read a single review about something, I still hear about it - lol)

    If you already know you aren't going to sub-up to Amazon "just" to check out LOTR then that 'grace window' is to your benefit anyway and not something you need feel frustrated by (?). If you're having to 'wait anyway' then you'll just have a better idea if its worth checking out - whenever you decide its worth it to subscribe. IMO - Before a show goes live there's just too few 'reviewers' (legit or otherwise), or too little content they are judging (like the handpicked 20 minutes in this example) to really 'count on' anyone's take unless that person was already vetted by you; I agree, you can't "really trust" any of it.

    And I also agree there's not a single show on air (today or in the past) - that by itself - would be 'good enough' for me to pay a streaming subscription for. I'd at least wait until a streaming service has 3-4-5+ shows I'm behind on before I'd go paying a monthly subscription long enough to catch up; and then bounce to the next service once I'm caught up on that one, etc. There ARE way too many (at least for all the tv I watch) shows for me to keep subscriptions on all of them active at once.

    And I do hear you on trying to find a reviewer, any reviewer, who shares a similiar 'movie brain' to you - it is a struggle when you're on the fence about a show and whether to bother watching. Up until two years ago when I randomly stumbled upon a youtube streamer/reviewer who, over time, I realized DOES share that same "movie brain" with me - I would have said the same thing as I'd never read/watched a reviewer that did. And I certainly didn't put forth any time/effort to find that one; just stumbled on him (Chris Stuckmann is the reviewer/streamer in case anyone wonders or is looking for one who might be a good match. He definitely shares my movie brain on everything except our opinions on the Alien series =D; but hey no one is perfect ).
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

  2. #1242
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    I actually don't pay for any streaming service outside of basic cable-internet (while watching all of them).
    Okay so your answer is "just pirate things lol". I guess that's a take. You do you, I suppose.

  3. #1243
    Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    B'ham, AL
    Posts
    1,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Okay so your answer is "just pirate things lol". I guess that's a take. You do you, I suppose.
    Well I mean I spent the next few paragraphs talking about how having to 'wait anyway' turns out to your advantage and how I don't watch shows when they first release anyway... (as your original complaint was about wanting some sort of 'trustworthy' review system for things that haven't even aired yet...) And I talked about the idea of cycling streaming services when they have built up multiple shows to "catch up on" before paying out of pocket (again, a positive in the idea of not watching/paying for things immediately on launch). And none of that has anything to do with pirating.

    But that can be your only take away if you want. *shrugs* We all gonna do us! Who else would we do?
    Last edited by Koriani; 2022-05-18 at 05:34 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

  4. #1244
    I wonder if there is any possibility of battle for middle earth 3 coming out of this?

  5. #1245
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Rafe of time was absolute trash tier and an embarrassment to the name wheel of time.

    As a Wheel of Time fan, I wish you LOTR fans mental stability as you watch Amazon trash the thing you love. It will be just as bad as you think and probably worse.





    As far as the idiot saying that paid "fans" and websites that rely on LOTR for their viewers can't POSSIBLY be paid shills to say they like a show that turns out to be shit........ Wheel of Time says hi.

    Never believe someone whose financial interest overrides their ability to tell the truth. The Depp trial showed this well with that dude from TMZ explaining that amberheard scheduled all her pictures so that they'd be there when she faked them. The BEST way to actually get people to believe you is when it it is legally and financially NOT in your interest and you tell the truth anyway.


    If the LOTR producers came out and said "Actually this show is going to be quite divisive and the only people that will be happy with it are people who A) hate LOTR and B) aren't going to watch the show anyway. You should probably not watch it if you're a LOTR fan because it will just make you upset."

    I'd believe them.

  6. #1246
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    13,028
    I saw some new images on line that I cannot find, so if anyone knows where they are would be kind enough to link them

    there was one with elves around a table with a dwarf at the head which I think looked very Tolkien/peter Jackson and looked pretty good.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

    Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

  7. #1247
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Rafe of time was absolute trash tier and an embarrassment to the name wheel of time.
    The wheel of time was good that is the facts, the worst ppl are the hardcore fans of a series as they have the opinions that matter the least because they think they know best and any deviation from thier veiw of what it should be is bad.

    LOTR series will be another good solid series, too many whine about everything and cant just be happy there is more stuff coming.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  8. #1248
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Lookout
    Posts
    20,979
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    The wheel of time was good that is the facts, the worst ppl are the hardcore fans of a series as they have the opinions that matter the least because they think they know best and any deviation from thier veiw of what it should be is bad.

    LOTR series will be another good solid series, too many whine about everything and cant just be happy there is more stuff coming.
    You mean People most committed to the lore of something get annoyed the most when it gets shit on?

    Wow dude, amazing insight.

    The Amazon LOTR looks like straight up trash so far.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I couldn't find that one, but I did find a new shot of Celebrimbor.

    God damn he looks fucking horrible. I sincerely hope he has just been mislabelled as Celebrimbor. because the Elf at the right end of the Table in this Picture looks far more like Celebrimbor.



    I.e. Tall, Long Dark Hair.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2022-06-09 at 04:15 PM.

  9. #1249
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    You mean People most committed to the lore of something get annoyed the most when it gets shit on?
    Yeah, those sorts of gatekeepers can go fuck themselves.

    I knew a handful of Tolkien fans who thought the LotR movies were heretical trash when they came out almost 20 years ago and yet those movies ignited a wave of new interest in those stories, not just in the works of Tolkien but also in the fantasy genre as a whole.

  10. #1250
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Lookout
    Posts
    20,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Yeah, those sorts of gatekeepers can go fuck themselves.
    I'd rather Gatekeepers of a fandom, than People who just lap up new shit that goes against lore, then berate Fans for being disgusted by it. Already seen enough franchises die in recent years, don't need Amazon to nail another Coffin.

  11. #1251
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    13,028
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I couldn't find that one, but I did find a new shot of Celebrimbor.

    Edit: found it.
    Thats the one thank you, yea I like that image
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

    Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

  12. #1252
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Yeah, those sorts of gatekeepers can go fuck themselves.

    I knew a handful of Tolkien fans who thought the LotR movies were heretical trash when they came out almost 20 years ago and yet those movies ignited a wave of new interest in those stories, not just in the works of Tolkien but also in the fantasy genre as a whole.
    Its true though that was always a really tiny number, those movies are super beloved by basically everyone with a pulse.

    Very different ratio with a lot of new stuff!

    Sounds almost lame to say, but if something is good it won't matter. Some GoT purists also hated that show but it was also widely successful for X seasons.

    Feel like Strange New Worlds and the Mandalorian are interested examples here, because they are broadly being accepted as great shows by most fans while stuff like Picard and Book of Boba are widely criticized.

    I think it's really as simple as people like good things and hate bad ones!

  13. #1253
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    21,954
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I couldn't find that one, but I did find a new shot of Celebrimbor.



    Edit: found it.

    []https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUxiESCVIAAXzwK?format=jpg&name=large[/IMG]

    And some others.

    [Is://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUxiD1aUYAA-XUb?format=jpg&name=large[/IMG]
    [Itps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUxiEHRVsAAqvWO?format=jpg&name=large[/IMG]
    [Ips://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUxYRuQXEAEuEG6?format=jpg&name=4096x4096[/IMG]
    Can someone that's more cinematically inclined than I am help me pinpoint what's ~wrong~ with these images?

    Is it the lighting that makes them feel off? Or maybe an overuse of CGI?

  14. #1254
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    You mean People most committed to the lore of something get annoyed the most when it gets shit on?

    Wow dude, amazing insight.

    The Amazon LOTR looks like straight up trash so far.

    - - - Updated - - -



    God damn he looks fucking horrible. I sincerely hope he has just been mislabelled as Celebrimbor. because the Elf at the right end of the Table in this Picture looks far more like Celebrimbor.
    Not every story needs to be told the way it was in the books, you just shit on something because they didnt follow the book version to the letter, nothing wrong with an adaptation of the series telling the story a different way, doesnt change the fact that many tv series are still good regardless of what the hardcore fanbase seem to think.

    The worst person to judge anything is the hardcore fan as they are completely biased.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

  15. #1255
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I.e. Tall, Long Dark Hair.
    Case in point, if different hair length and/or color are such egregious transgressions that you flip a shit then your little more than a pedantic troll with little actual investment in the stories.

    These works aren’t popular because of minor details like that.

  16. #1256
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    13,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Yeah, those sorts of gatekeepers can go fuck themselves.

    I knew a handful of Tolkien fans who thought the LotR movies were heretical trash when they came out almost 20 years ago and yet those movies ignited a wave of new interest in those stories, not just in the works of Tolkien but also in the fantasy genre as a whole.
    I think there's a good meeting halfway, to share our likes and dislikes and come to an understanding of why we like and dislike said thing and not shrug of people with opposing views as 'they don't matter' because that makes you apart of the problem of why we dont talk about things anymore and just label people with fast unwarranted judgement.

    Then again this is the twitter extremist attitude of if you don't like/dislike said thing you are (x). Instead of learning and talking to people about why they like of dislike said thing. I think all opinions are valid even if they dont agree with mine, I have friends where we all share diufferent views and opinions.

    then again F that, its so much easier to name call and label or say someone's opinion doesn't matter because they disagree with you. This is such twitter behaviour.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-06-09 at 04:35 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

    Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

  17. #1257
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    Its true though that was always a really tiny number, those movies are super beloved by basically everyone with a pulse.

    Very different ratio with a lot of new stuff!

    Sounds almost lame to say, but if something is good it won't matter. Some GoT purists also hated that show but it was also widely successful for X seasons.

    Feel like Strange New Worlds and the Mandalorian are interested examples here, because they are broadly being accepted as great shows by most fans while stuff like Picard and Book of Boba are widely criticized.

    I think it's really as simple as people like good things and hate bad ones!
    Of course, but most (if not all) of those criticisms came about AFTER the shows aired and were more about the writing than a strict adherence to minor details in the original works.

    Nowadays a lot of “criticism” (in quotes because it’s mostly just bitching) is simply knee jerk reactions to minor details that aren’t even story-relevant. Like noted above, seeing a character with possibly a different hair style than was described in the source material with no knowledge of whether important things like character motivations, arcs, and themes are indeed maintained or well written.

    This show may well suck, but it won’t be because of how a few particular characters look, for instance.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I think there's a good meeting halfway, to share our likes and dislikes and come to an understanding of why we like and dislike said thing and not shrug of people with opposing views as 'they don't matter' because that makes you apart of the problem of why we dont talk about things anymore and just label people with fast unwarranted judgement.

    Then again this is the twitter extremist attitude of if you don't like/dislike said thing you are (x). Instead of learning and talking to people about why they like of dislike said thing. I think all opinions are valid even if they dont agree with mine, I have friends where we all share diufferent views and opinions.

    then again F that, its so much easier to name call and label or say someone's opinion doesn't matter because they disagree with you. This is such twitter behaviour.
    Yeah it’s not that criticism can’t exist. It most certainly can (and should). However, I disagree that “all opinions are valid” in so far as not all criticisms carry the same weight.

    Anyone is free to have their own opinion, but things like “characters must always look exactly as described in the source material” being the basis for an argument about the quality of a movie or show as a whole is weak.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2022-06-09 at 04:39 PM.

  18. #1258
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Of course, but most (if not all) of those criticisms came about AFTER the shows aired and were more about the writing than a strict adherence to minor details in the original works.

    Nowadays a lot of “criticism” (in quotes because it’s mostly just bitching) is simply knee jerk reactions to minor details that aren’t even story-relevant. Like noted above, seeing a character with possibly a different hair style than was described in the source material with no knowledge of whether important things like character motivations, arcs, and themes are indeed maintained or well written.

    This show may well suck, but it won’t be because of how a few particular characters look, for instance.
    Right I agree, criticism of like someone's hair or whatever just don't gain traction of a show is actually good because not enough people care.

  19. #1259
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    13,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Yeah it’s not that criticism can’t exist. It most certainly can (and should). However, I disagree that “all opinions are valid” in so far as not all criticisms carry the same weight.

    Anyone is free to have their own opinion, but things like “characters must always look exactly as described in the source material” being the basis for an argument about the quality of a movie or show as a whole is weak.
    Oh well if you are talking about that type of 'criticism' then, my apologies. But I agree, if skin colour is your only argument then I say the show will be pretty good, but yea I don't give a shit about that, its minor, black elves whatever. Just make a show that feels very Tolkien, I am a sucker for set design and atheistic, if the show has that cosey feel in aspects that Peter Jackson movies did then I will be happy (especially as the creators said they want it to feel closer to Peter Jacksons vision)
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-06-09 at 04:55 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

    Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

  20. #1260
    Still no photos/casting for celeborn? Still very worried about this show. To many changes, much like the Rafe of Time, going to destroy what they seek to create.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •