1. #1321
    Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    Yes, but in my opinion, most of the changes were for the better.

    It is a classic piece of literature. You don't change anything. It is not a comic book, it is like Tolstoy, Dostoyevski, Turgenyev. It is not your dough to play with. Fuck me, with your mentality we will never have good things. Never.

  2. #1322
    Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    Yes, but in my opinion, most of the changes were for the better.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I’ll take a look at the series. It could be good. In my opinion, the 3 LOTR movies are the best trilogy ever made, especially in their extended versions. I have no problems with the things that differ from the books. I think in almost every case, they are improvements. Gimli’s character, for example, is much more engaging in the movies. The Hobbit movies are also good and I think the CGI is incredible in all of them.
    The main difference that I'm fairly certain well see in the Rings of Power series (as it happened to Wheel of Time, as well as a bunch of other adaptations/series as of late) is that any changes will not be in service of the source material or the intent of the creator of the IP. When the creators of the LotR trilogy talked about their changes from the source material, their main guidance was trying to keep it as faithful to and in the spirit of Tolkien as not everything translates well from book to movie.

    When there's people related to the new RoP project talking about how they're going to 'fix' Tolkien's problems/issues, there's no way anyone could genuinely say that isn't just self-insertion by the creators of the show at the expense of the source material. As was said by one of the creators of the new Star Trek shows, these IPs are being used as platforms to put out their ideology, even if it drastically conflicts with the IP itself. The reason this is done is because their shows and ideas would likely not be success and flop hard if they didn't use an establish brand with an established fan base as a vehicle for their garbage.

    All one has to do is look at the actions and words of the people in charge to realize there's going to be a lot of issues with the show. When you're doing damage control long before the show is even out, that means you have little faith in your show and/or you know you're not being faithful or respectful to the IP/source material. Amazon does this, Disney does this, lots of companies do this now before their shows come out... and so far it's pretty much a guaranteed sign that their shows are objectively bad and flawed to high levels, sometimes spitting in the face of the fans or even the past material/shows/movies/etc.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2022-06-12 at 05:28 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #1323
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    there's been nothing that shows the creators of the Amazon series don't have the same love and respect for Tolkien's work.
    HAPPY elves and HAPPY hobbits.


    [Infracted]
    Last edited by Radux; 2022-06-12 at 07:05 PM.

  4. #1324
    Elemental Lord Makabreska's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    8,847
    Quote Originally Posted by karung View Post
    It is a classic piece of literature. You don't change anything. It is not a comic book, it is like Tolstoy, Dostoyevski, Turgenyev. It is not your dough to play with. Fuck me, with your mentality we will never have good things. Never.
    Not how it works. You are not able to do a 1:1 book to movie translation, because these are two different medias. Something is always lost/changed. Also ye, we totally never get any good things.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    N***** elves and n***** hobbits.
    Classy, my man.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-06-12 at 05:39 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  5. #1325
    Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    N***** elves and n***** hobbits.
    As someone else said... Classy... but the situation is you're bringing in your reality into a fictional element and are doing the same thing that you claim to hate. That whole "woke" thing or as the Critical Drinker puts it "The Message" on Youtube... you are doing the same thing by taking our reality and forcing it into a fictional tale. You're just as bad as the Woke people and you're probably the guy who hates the woke kind because of this crap.

  6. #1326
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    The main difference that I'm fairly certain well see in the Rings of Power series (as it happened to Wheel of Time, as well as a bunch of other adaptations/series as of late) is that any changes will not be in service of the source material or the intent of the creator of the IP. When the creators of the LotR trilogy talked about their changes from the source material, their main guidance was trying to keep it as faithful to and in the spirit of Tolkien as not everything translates well from book to movie.
    Well if that was their intent they failed big time, Tolkien would almost certainly have hated the movies for the way they split from his themes and radically changed characters. Most galling would probably have been the action scenes that made fighting wars and battles look cool.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    N***** elves and n***** hobbits.
    It's possible to respect Tolkien's work while also deciding that actors shouldn't be forbidden from taking certain roles due to their skin tone. In terms of how it affects the lore this is a much, much lesser issue than the decision to give Aragorn, Faramir and Boromir beards.
    Last edited by Dhrizzle; 2022-06-12 at 06:08 PM.

  7. #1327
    Quote Originally Posted by karung View Post
    It is a classic piece of literature. You don't change anything. It is not a comic book, it is like Tolstoy, Dostoyevski, Turgenyev. It is not your dough to play with. Fuck me, with your mentality we will never have good things. Never.
    Bullshit. Good stories endure because of their ability to be retold and reimagined across various media, from ancient myths to Shakespeare to more modern classics like Tolkien.

  8. #1328
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    13,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post

    It's possible to respect Tolkien's work while also deciding that actors shouldn't be forbidden from taking certain roles due to their skin tone. In terms of how it affects the lore this is a much, much lesser issue than the decision to give Aragorn, Faramir and Boromir beards.
    John Hurt still the best Aragorn... fite me :P



    Who was drawn as a Native American I may add lol
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-06-12 at 07:56 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

    Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

  9. #1329
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Bullshit. Good stories endure because of their ability to be retold and reimagined across various media, from ancient myths to Shakespeare to more modern classics like Tolkien.
    Yeah sure buddy, let there be only black gay transgender elves. While you are at it, make it more diverse, halflings can have a height of 6 feet. After all it is body shaming.

    Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2022-06-12 at 07:41 PM.

  10. #1330
    Immortal Ealyssa's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Switzerland, Geneva
    Posts
    7,021
    Quote Originally Posted by karung View Post
    make it more diverse
    Yeah, yeah, the classic dipshit argument...

    Everyone must be male or "political"
    Everyone must be white or "political"
    Everyone must be straight or "political"

    At least you're honest about being a dipshit, I respect that from a burner account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    nazi is not the abbreviation of national socialism....
    When googling 4 letters is asking too much fact-checking.

  11. #1331
    Quote Originally Posted by karung View Post
    It is a classic piece of literature. You don't change anything. It is not a comic book, it is like Tolstoy, Dostoyevski, Turgenyev. It is not your dough to play with. Fuck me, with your mentality we will never have good things. Never.
    Good luck trying to adapt The Idiot into a film. It's a 1200 page book. No adaptation of any of these men's works have been fully faithful to the novel.

  12. #1332
    Quote Originally Posted by karung View Post
    Yeah sure buddy, let there be only black gay transgender elves. While you are at it, make it more diverse, halflings can have a height of 6 feet. After all it is body shaming.
    Doubling down on the stupid isn’t going to make your original post any less dumb.

  13. #1333
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Doubling down on the stupid isn’t going to make your original post any less dumb.
    sure man, whatever makes you sleep well at night.

  14. #1334
    Quote Originally Posted by karung View Post
    It is a classic piece of literature. You don't change anything. It is not a comic book, it is like Tolstoy, Dostoyevski, Turgenyev. It is not your dough to play with. Fuck me, with your mentality we will never have good things. Never.
    Tolkien accepted that changes would be made to his work when he originally sold the film rights to it. Floating around somewhere is his rather scathing remarks on a film treatment for a much earlier production that never came to fruition. While he clearly disliked many of the things that were proposed he never stopped respecting the creatives behind the film, nor did he declare they had no right to make those changes.

  15. #1335
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Tolkien accepted that changes would be made to his work when he originally sold the film rights to it. Floating around somewhere is his rather scathing remarks on a film treatment for a much earlier production that never came to fruition. While he clearly disliked many of the things that were proposed he never stopped respecting the creatives behind the film, nor did he declare they had no right to make those changes.
    I think the main issue is that the story they are telling will likely have characters behaving in absurd ways beyond maybe gandolf ( you really have to try and go out of your way to mess up that character).

    It feels like the best they can hope for is to be another middling fantasy show. It doesn't help that wheel of times terrible adaptation poisoned the well to.

  16. #1336
    The Unstoppable Force Syegfryed's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    20,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I mean, plenty of people also criticized/criticize Jackson's vision. ESPECIALLY where it diverged from the original materials (the whole Faramir storyline etc.). I guess it's less visible because it was two decades ago, and also because the internet has come a long way since. There'd be no shortage of people screaming bloody murder if it was happening in the present day. I'm sure there'd be entire subreddits dedicated to the fact that Frodo looks too young alone
    People think you need to shat on Peter Jackson work every time you talk about other tolkien's adaptation, otherwise you can't complain/criticize in this one

    Like, its being what, almost 20 years, its not like you need to complain about some shit he did still.

  17. #1337
    Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    I think the main issue is that the story they are telling will likely have characters behaving in absurd ways beyond maybe gandolf ( you really have to try and go out of your way to mess up that character).

    It feels like the best they can hope for is to be another middling fantasy show. It doesn't help that wheel of times terrible adaptation poisoned the well to.
    They can mess up Gandalf just by having him exist in the Second Age, though there is apparently reason to believe the Blue Wizards could turn up then as Tolkien decided they should have been sent much earlier.

    From the bits I've seen so far (and I haven't been keeping up religiously) nothing seems to be too out of whack with Tolkien's various notes, especially as the Second Age is probably the most sparsely detailed.

    Biggest issue I'm having at the moment is the age of Celebrimbor who was born a generation after Galadriel but is played by a much older actor.

  18. #1338
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    They can mess up Gandalf just by having him exist in the Second Age, though there is apparently reason to believe the Blue Wizards could turn up then as Tolkien decided they should have been sent much earlier.

    From the bits I've seen so far (and I haven't been keeping up religiously) nothing seems to be too out of whack with Tolkien's various notes, especially as the Second Age is probably the most sparsely detailed.

    Biggest issue I'm having at the moment is the age of Celebrimbor who was born a generation after Galadriel but is played by a much older actor.
    I thought they already teased Gandalf though I could be mistaken.

  19. #1339
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    People think you need to shat on Peter Jackson work every time you talk about other tolkien's adaptation, otherwise you can't complain/criticize in this one

    Like, its being what, almost 20 years, its not like you need to complain about some shit he did still.
    You don't have to shit on Peter Jackson's films, but it's hypocritical when people praise him for staying consistent with Tolkien but rail against Amazon when they're both doing similar things.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    I thought they already teased Gandalf though I could be mistaken.
    I think they teased having wizards which set alarm bells ringing until someone told me Tolkien had plans for the Blues to be active in the Second Age. If it is Gandalf (as in Gandalf the Wizard, not Olorin the Maiar) then it would be a pretty grievous change as Gandalf definitely only arrived in the Third Age, and reluctantly at that.

  20. #1340
    The Unstoppable Force Syegfryed's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    20,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    You don't have to shit on Peter Jackson's films, but it's hypocritical when people praise him for staying consistent with Tolkien but rail against Amazon when they're both doing similar things.
    I think what is hypocrital is to compare the amazon and Jackson work as the same thing/level.

    Just because they have "changes" don't mean they are he same, there is a gradient of how much is changed, how impactful the changes are and how those changes contradict the world/characters. Like, i understand they changed Aragorn from the books to the movies, but that seems to pale in comparison to what they are doing with the elf lady in the series.

    So, to me, in terms of adaptation, is all about a gradient, on what is tolerable, what is done until it break the camel's back(while the lotr movies were fine, the hobbit trilogy broke the camel back imo).

    From what they said about the series, is debatable if it can even be called an adaptation, since most of what i read about it, is they making something "new" with some plot points from the appendix B and the movies(?)

    Now, this is personal, i would like more something made with new characters, and a new adventure done in the tolkien universe, where they don't use the character he created or using ones he vaguely talk about it, like a story about some random group with the blue wizards against a necromancer or a dragon in some corner of middle earth, or some shit like that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •