1. #1641
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    "diversity is our strength"
    Even the Fellowship itself was a form of diversity. A wizard, an elf, a dwarf, 2 humans, and 4 Hobbits. That's 5 different races (you can split it to 6, if you want) coming together to basically save the world, something none of them could have done alone when they're brought together. Though, they are all white, so I suppose that makes it the totally fine type of diversity LoTR literally teaches you about diversity, ffs. But people will complain and say it has no place in there if someone else is doing it.
    Last edited by UnifiedDivide; 2022-07-10 at 09:57 AM.

  2. #1642
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The fact you took my post about people on the internet whining about inconsequential things because they have nothing else in their lives, and proceeding to do exactly that is... well, its something.

    The source material, that people so claim to love (to the point of disgusting worship of it, even while some clearly don't actually know it all that well), is still there. It will forever be there. If someone makes a movie/TV series/whatever that ends up being bad, you move the fuck on and just go back to the source that remains untouched. You don't cry for months and months, in this case over something that is still months away from even airing, and fill your life with it just so you can be mad at something. Unless, as I said, you have fuck all else going on in your life.

    For instance, I've wanted to see a screen adaptation of The Riftwar Cycle, which is about 30 books, for around 2 decades (roughly when I first started reading it). The author has held out for what he feels is the best deal, with the best people, this entire time. There was news earlier this year that there was now going to be a TV series that adapts the first 6 books. Am I looking forward to it? Absolutely. Will I cry on a gaming forum for months before it airs and months after it finishes if it isn't done exactly as I want it or think it should be done? Hell no. I'm a functioning adult with better shit to worry about.

    TL;DR Be a grown up and get over it.

    - - - Updated - - -




    So, it is about diversity and inclusion, and you do care if they put an "asian wheelchair bound wizzard" in there... and clearly not about a "good story."
    Meh, never change I guess

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's racism when people see basic concepts like "diversity is our strength" and assume it's virtue signaling because it happens to involve non-white actors. That theme comes up over and over again in Jackson's movies. Probably the biggest example is a scene which Tolkien purists no-doubt lost their shit over: when the elves show up at Helm's Deep. The development of the friendship between Gimli and Legolas, despite the racial animus the two shared at the beginning of the story, is also a huge part of it. And it goes right down to "even the smallest person can change the course of history" (another change/addition which undoubtedly enraged those for whom nothing would have been acceptable but a shot-for-shot adaptation of the novels). What idiots on the internet call "virtue signaling," everyone else just calls "storytelling."
    You assume racism, what I see is companies avoiding responsibilities for their failures. Imagine saying my product doesn't suck, it's the consumers who are wrong.

  3. #1643
    Quote Originally Posted by loppy88 View Post
    Meh, never change I guess
    I will continue to be a well adjusted adult, sure.

    I'm sure you'll continue to scream into the void about things that don't really matter.

    All is well with the world.

  4. #1644
    Quote Originally Posted by loppy88 View Post
    You assume racism, what I see is companies avoiding responsibilities for their failures. Imagine saying my product doesn't suck, it's the consumers who are wrong.
    Shit's not even out yet, and people are already convinced it sucks. What else are studios supposed to think when the reasons given are *checks notes* black elves, beardless female dwarves, and Elrond with short hair?

  5. #1645
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I will continue to be a well adjusted adult, sure.

    I'm sure you'll continue to scream into the void about things that don't really matter.

    All is well with the world.
    Being a well adjusted adult is spending all day trolling on a wow forum about non wow topics :P

  6. #1646
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Being a well adjusted adult is spending all day trolling on a wow forum about non wow topics :P
    "All day" is apparently 4 quickly-typed posts spread out across the day lol Do you assume nothing else happens in-between?

    Go cry somewhere about Wheel of Time. Maybe someone, somewhere, will find your whining productive. It certainly isn't the actions of, as I said, a well adjusted adult. But sure, I'm trolling lol And I can't believe you tried to make a point about it being a WoW forum and me posting about non-WoW topics. Holy shit... grab a mirror, dude. Why would you even be in this part of the forum if you thought posting about anything but WoW was something worth pointing out?

    Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go jump back in the pool
    Last edited by UnifiedDivide; 2022-07-10 at 05:22 PM.

  7. #1647
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Shit's not even out yet, and people are already convinced it sucks. What else are studios supposed to think when the reasons given are *checks notes* black elves, beardless female dwarves, and Elrond with short hair?
    The squishing of thousands of years into only a few years, the changing of Galadrials characters (who also during this age has a daugher, kind of important since she is Arwens mother), the cutting of important characters to the story (Celeborn/Cirdan the shipwright are who?), the addition of 5 new characters in a story already crammed full of characters, adding a race (harfoots) that wasn't around yet and wouldn't be till the next age.

    Might want to update your notes, because that is a lot of things to flub already, and considering how Amazon has handled other adaptations it doesn't inspire confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

  8. #1648
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    that is a lot of things to flub already
    lol... Along with the "it's just fan-fiction!!!" nonsense, calling things that happen in literally every adaptations "flubs" has to be up their with the most out-of-touch takes imaginable.

    And for reference, some omega-nerds compiled a massive list of the changes in Jackson's trilogy:
    https://www.theonering.com/complete-...-film-changes/

    Your couple sentences is pretty weak.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2022-07-10 at 06:04 PM.

  9. #1649
    Legendary! Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    6,494
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    The squishing of thousands of years into only a few years, the changing of Galadrials characters (who also during this age has a daugher, kind of important since she is Arwens mother), the cutting of important characters to the story (Celeborn/Cirdan the shipwright are who?), the addition of 5 new characters in a story already crammed full of characters, adding a race (harfoots) that wasn't around yet and wouldn't be till the next age.

    Might want to update your notes, because that is a lot of things to flub already, and considering how Amazon has handled other adaptations it doesn't inspire confidence.
    Well, talking from the neutral (and barely interested) point of view, the only complaints and things talked about I see are those regarding skin colour and such. AKA "awmagad LotR went woke". That's like the only hate fuel I see around. Literally first comments under posters (those with hands) were "hmmm, suspicious skin colour".
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-07-10 at 05:58 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  10. #1650
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    lol... Along with the "it's just fan-fiction!!!" nonsense, calling things that happen in literally every adaptations "flubs" has to be up their with the most out-of-touch takes imaginable.
    ...lol, didnt realize every adaptation has Galadrial, Harfoots, etc. If the term flub offends you, maybe I should say fucked up, Amazon had fucked up a lot of things already considering they have given us only a few interviews and 2 minute long teasers. That is worrying.

    If you are talking changes happening in every adaptation yes, there are changes, people know this. However there are varying degrees of changes that people allow, and the changes in Rings of Power are quite large, larger than some people are willing to allow in an adaptation (again don't adapt if you want to make a ton of changes, create, people are free to do so).

    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Well, talking from the neutral (and barely interested) point of view, the only complaints and things talked about I see are those regarding skin colour and such. AKA "awmagad LotR went woke". That's like the only hate fuel I see around. Literally first comments under posters (those with hands) were "hmmm, suspicious skin colour".
    I mean maybe the most vocal, but I certainly have seen a lot of complaints about the things I have posted too, I certainly wasn't the first to point out the issues i listed either. Again not saying you have to be a 100% purist, but come on at least try to get close.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-07-10 at 06:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

  11. #1651
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    13,905
    People should just have zero expectations. I don't at all expect this to be good, I expect the story to be garbage because no one can do Tolkien faithfully at any level.

  12. #1652
    I can understand how someone can watch a trailer for something like this and be like "No, that's not for me."

    What I do not understand is all the energy some people will spend hating on something that hasn't even been released yet.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    People should just have zero expectations. I don't at all expect this to be good, I expect the story to be garbage because no one can do Tolkien faithfully at any level.
    It's pretty funny that you tell other people they shouldn't have expectations...and then immediately list your own expectations.
    Isms bore me. I think they are only brought by people who seek to marginalize the potential of each ism to provide something meaningful. Name it, Capitalism, Socialism, even Communism-- all contain something of merit towards structuring a society. The biggest flaw in human history has been the need to take the worst of a system along with the best. It doesn't have to be all of one and none of another.

  13. #1653
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Well, talking from the neutral (and barely interested) point of view, the only complaints and things talked about I see are those regarding skin colour and such. AKA "awmagad LotR went woke". That's like the only hate fuel I see around. Literally first comments under posters (those with hands) were "hmmm, suspicious skin colour".
    Unfortunately those types tend to be the loudest people. Really across all mediums. I mean you can see it in WoW even.

    Which in a way is sad because there are some very legitimate criticisms out there. Not just focusing on negativity but genuinely concerned because they want to enjoy the final product and for it to be better. But then there are those who lump the two together and just dismiss everything.

  14. #1654
    The Lightbringer Sanguinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Knowhere
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I can understand how someone can watch a trailer for something like this and be like "No, that's not for me."

    What I do not understand is all the energy some people will spend hating on something that hasn't even been released yet
    Same, but that goes for the people defending as well.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

  15. #1655
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    Same, but that goes for the people defending as well.
    Most of the people I've seen "defending" are more like "wait until it comes out before you make up your mind" or "If you don't like it...just don't watch it". It's not really comparable.
    Isms bore me. I think they are only brought by people who seek to marginalize the potential of each ism to provide something meaningful. Name it, Capitalism, Socialism, even Communism-- all contain something of merit towards structuring a society. The biggest flaw in human history has been the need to take the worst of a system along with the best. It doesn't have to be all of one and none of another.

  16. #1656
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Lookout
    Posts
    20,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I can understand how someone can watch a trailer for something like this and be like "No, that's not for me."

    What I do not understand is all the energy some people will spend hating on something that hasn't even been released yet.
    It's almost as if People hate when a Franchise they enjoy has something new released that looks like garbage. Shocking right?

  17. #1657
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    It's almost as if People hate when a Franchise they enjoy has something new released that looks like garbage. Shocking right?
    Like I said, I can understand why people would not want to watch it. It's the amount of energy they put into hating it before the product has even been released that I question.
    Isms bore me. I think they are only brought by people who seek to marginalize the potential of each ism to provide something meaningful. Name it, Capitalism, Socialism, even Communism-- all contain something of merit towards structuring a society. The biggest flaw in human history has been the need to take the worst of a system along with the best. It doesn't have to be all of one and none of another.

  18. #1658
    The Lightbringer Sanguinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Knowhere
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Most of the people I've seen "defending" are more like "wait until it comes out before you make up your mind" or "If you don't like it...just don't watch it". It's not really comparable.
    Well.. this thread begs to differ tbh. Some people here are relentless in their "defending" or however you want to call it.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

  19. #1659
    Legendary! Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    6,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Like I said, I can understand why people would not want to watch it. It's the amount of energy they put into hating it before the product has even been released that I question.
    I guess they genuinely feel attacked. All the time I see opinions, that "woke" changes ruin everything they like. Black elves in LotR, gay couples in MCU, or Jax going full revenge mode against white people in MK11. Some peeps genuinely feel they and their entertainment are under attack and being ruined in some kind of a culture war. So they respond like it is a war, with allergic and aggressive reactions to any changes from the source material.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-07-10 at 07:14 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  20. #1660
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    It's almost as if People hate when a Franchise they enjoy has something new released that looks like garbage. Shocking right?
    Imagine believing that most of the NPCs regurgitating the same "go woke go broke!!!" horseshit in response to this stuff actually care about the franchises in question. Adorable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •