Thread: ebook reader

ebook reader

So I'm coming up to a book that's 4 bucks as an ebook or 250 as paper used since it's out of print. I never had an ebook reader, sell me one. I think the Kobo Libra looks good (will not buy the amazon thingy).

Just looking for an opinion or two of heavy ebook users satisfied with their device.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    So I'm coming up to a book that's 4 bucks as an ebook or 250 as paper used since it's out of print. I never had an ebook reader, sell me one. I think the Kobo Libra looks good (will not buy the amazon thingy).

Just looking for an opinion or two of heavy ebook users satisfied with their device.
    I just use the kindle app on my phone and it's fine, I mainly read paper though.

Can I ask which book?

Lois McMaster Bujold "The Flowers of Vashnoi"

I could just read it in a browser, but maybe I start taking advantage of eBooks being cheaper than paper.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still have a super old school Kindle, I believe it is the Kindle Touch, that I have been using for years with zero issues. Bought my mom one of the early paperwhites and it seems to work quite well. Sadly that's all the experience I have with ebook readers.

I will say that if you really want to read a lot, don't just use an app on a tablet/phone and get an actual ebook reader. I tried that and it really bothered my eyes after an hour or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I still have a super old school Kindle, I believe it is the Kindle Touch, that I have been using for years with zero issues. Bought my mom one of the early paperwhites and it seems to work quite well. Sadly that's all the experience I have with ebook readers.

I will say that if you really want to read a lot, don't just use an app on a tablet/phone and get an actual ebook reader. I tried that and it really bothered my eyes after an hour or so.
    I used a Paperwhite for a good long while and it was fantastic, but about a year ago I switched over to a Fire and it took a bit of getting used to but it does the job just fine. The Paperwhite looks more like actual paper rather than a screen so it has a good feel going for it.
    He/Him

I have only used the Kindle models and the one from Barnes & Noble, Nook.

The Kindle is far superior to the Nook. The Nook feels and works like the original old Kindles. Everything takes a long ass time to load on the Nook. Even loading your library takes a while. It sucks.

I had one of the old Kindles with the buttons on the front, 4 or 5. Still works. I was just gifted a newer one; Oasis. It's phenomenal. Both work great without issue.

An Ebook reader works fine on a phone or cheap tablet such as the Samsung Tab if a dedicated E-reader is burdensome. I used to read books on my Tab 7 in that manner. Tablets are like $40 nowadays and ebook readers are free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone mentioned the Tolino reader to me, as an alternative to Amazon's kindle. Might be worth looking into.

I am still buying my books in a local shop and don't want to lock into amazon ecosystem for it.

So it'll be one of the Kobo/Tolino devices. One book I could read on my tablet, but I guess it will be more in the long run so a dedicated device is better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I am still buying my books in a local shop and don't want to lock into amazon ecosystem for it.

So it'll be one of the Kobo/Tolino devices. One book I could read on my tablet, but I guess it will be more in the long run so a dedicated device is better.
    Pretty sure you can use any ebook format on the Kindles, I at least can on mine. I just use a program called Calibre to manage the books on the reader. The only actual amazon books I have read were all apart of the kindle unlimited thing. There was a long series I wanted to check out and it was cheaper to sign up so I just did that for a month to read them all and then cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Pretty sure you can use any ebook format on the Kindles, I at least can on mine. I just use a program called Calibre to manage the books on the reader. The only actual amazon books I have read were all apart of the kindle unlimited thing. There was a long series I wanted to check out and it was cheaper to sign up so I just did that for a month to read them all and then cancelled.
    agreed, even if you cant there are converters that i have rarely had trouble with online.

just google azw3 to epub converter for example, i think azw3 is the amazon one from a vague memory

I just use an old phone.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    agreed, even if you cant there are converters that i have rarely had trouble with online.

just google azw3 to epub converter for example, i think azw3 is the amazon one from a vague memory
    I like to buy pdf comics directly from a publisher and use the "Send to Kindle" app to add them to my Kindle library and read them on my device. I'm not sure what document filetypes are supported by this app but I'd be surprised if most weren't.
    He/Him