Quote Originally Posted by Dorothyjean View Post
    "Everything she can do is because Luke accomplished the same."

That isn't entirely true because she picked up everything in an incredibly small amount of time but in the original 3 movies it was an assumed amount of time between the movies. One Deathstar was blown up... and they had to make a new one which takes a sizeable stretch of time. Rey went to hang out with Luke and within a very small time frame "Well, I've learned everything..."
    The second Death Star was already under construction when the first was blown.

Anyway, wasn't that whole connection to Kylo supposed to show she had been receiving passive training through him?

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Eh with how god awful The Rafe of Time was I'll wait for and see if any friends recommend LOTR, Amazon fucked WoT up so badly if I don't hear positives from friends I will pass on LOTR.
    Same.

I was on the fence for WoT, even with the changes. One of my friends, whose super obsessed with basically anything that ticks off boxes when it comes to diversity and female empowerment (no matter how badly it's done, or how badly the story actually is, so long as it has those things in it), kept going on about how awesome and amazing it was, and how well they did the characters, and even if I'm a purist of the book, I'd still like the show because it "does the characters more justice than what Jordan did.", so I contemplated watching it all once all the episodes released. Frankly, I should have seriously been questioning her opinion when she said the change to Perrin was good but, hey, she's been my friend for nearly twenty years, she gets the benefit of the doubt.

Flash forward to after the last episode aired, and I was talking to two other friends who aren't obsessed with "yay diversity" like she is, one of which who hasn't read the books, explaining to me all the changes, and, in his words, my reaction was "glorious". What they did to the characters and world is an absolute travesty that I had no idea was a thing, and properly killed any desire I had of watching it.

I'll probably do the same with The Rings of Power, but frankly after what they did to WoT, I'm probably not even going to bother.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Yeah, fuck people for having the temerity to watch a trailer for a show.
    Fixed that for you.

Trailers tell you nothing at best and at worst spoil the show for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Fixed that for you.

Trailers tell you nothing at best and at worst spoil the show for you.
    We all know that trailers can deceive. But of course we're still going to watch, it's the first chance to get a bit of the flavour of what's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    The second Death Star was already under construction when the first was blown.

Anyway, wasn't that whole connection to Kylo supposed to show she had been receiving passive training through him?
    True but there was still a time frame of years there which I think was the assumed time disparity in those movies which was a common thing for earlier movies from that era. I don't honestly care too much because I really do not like the new 3 but to each their own but it just didn't feel genuine because she seemed to go from literally nothing in skill to full blown Jedi and had the ability to confront/fight alongside Kylo Ren who had been trained by not only Luke but Snoke also.

My problem with the latest 3 (not so much The Force Awakens) but the amount of errors and completely oddball story bites are off putting for me and with the last 2 movies I can point out like 1-2 things every 5 minutes that make little to no sense and I'm not even trying to hate on the movie. The stories could have been more fleshed out and the time spent on non-sensical things like Poe Dameron and the Admiral scene -- it adds nothing to the story and is disruptive to continuity and flow and resolves into nothing from a story perspective. They should have refined the story timeline and smoothed things out and fleshed out things like her training and other areas.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Those fake as hell "superfans" say all I need to know about how this show is going to ultimately go. These people are so vapid and incapable of separating fiction from reality and that whole video was just people projecting their own insecurities. They are so engrossed in idpol it's quite astounding. No one gives a fuck if characters in a fictional story in a fictional world aren't disabled and queer, that shit isn't a personality trait nor a character arc. I swear these kinds of vapid narcissists are going to be the death of nerd culture because they just want to project their pathetic insecurities using other people's works as the vehicle. This is gonna bomb so hard and the obvious damage control half a year before the show even drops only reinforces that.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    My final drop of enthusiasm dried out at 'mah gurl Galadriel'

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Those fake as hell "superfans" say all I need to know about how this show is going to ultimately go. These people are so vapid and incapable of separating fiction from reality and that whole video was just people projecting their own insecurities.
    You do realize that this is what literally everybody else thinks about the idiots who lose their shit every time they see a black person or a woman in something even remotely related to "nerd culture"...right?

This same garbage was being tossed around about the Witcher when people found out that Triss was a few shades too dark, that the bad guys had silly ballsack armor, and Cavill was way too pretty to play Geralt. And how did those predictions of doom and gloom turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post

Such an atrocious contempt of the Tolkien's legacy
    Jesus, that's the worst thing I've ever seen. Atrocious isnt enough to describe that..

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Sorry is that a female dwarf WITHOUT A BEARD?

Tell me they didn't.

Skin color idgaf about, as long as the acting is on par. But no beards is just a mean-spirited change >:[
    Gz, you're part of the problem.

death of nerd culture
    would be good if this was true, cant die soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseDay View Post
    Today on "tell me you're racist without saying you're racist"

Skin color was never a relevant point in Tolkien's descriptions of the dwarves OR elves. It certainly wasn't relevant to the plot. Therefore it doesn't matter for the TV show either.

Hmf...elves...dwarves...humans... maiar.. Yeah, Tolkien was very racist. However skin color just never seem to enter the equation.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I swear these kinds of vapid narcissists are going to be the death of nerd culture
    Would this be the same death people said was coming when they made Jane foster thor or put a black girl in a iron man suit or even made a storm trooper black? Because if so it seems to be a very long death and from all appearances doesn’t seem to have slowed harmed of said culture at all, its actually seems to have grown it quite a bit.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Would this be the same death people said was coming when they made Jane foster thor or put a black girl in a iron man suit or even made a storm trooper black? Because if so it seems to be a very long death and from all appearances doesn’t seem to have slowed harmed of said culture at all, its actually seems to have grown it quite a bit.
    Imo, comics books died the death it deserved when it imploded in the late 90s. Breevort (editor) said the thing that saved them later was creating controversial shit that pissed the readership off.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Imo, comics books died the death it deserved when it imploded in the late 90s. Breevort (editor) said the thing that saved them later was creating controversial shit that pissed the readership off.
    comics are a billion dollar industry if they make that much out of making people mad then Lotr and every other part of "nerd culture" should likely aim for the same.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

comics are a billion dollar industry if they make that much out of making people mad then Lotr and every other part of "nerd culture" should likely aim for the same.
    It wasn't a billion dollar industry back then. Like I said...imploded. Marvel went bankrupt in '96.

comics are a billion dollar industry
    Though to be fair, they're not making their money on comics. They're making it on non-comic products that are branded with comic-book IP.

Actual revenue for comic books for the entire industry is less than $1b a year. That's what a single Marvel movie makes, not counting the toys, video games, etc. etc. THAT is where the money is coming from. Actual comics are in steep decline.

Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseDay View Post
    Jesus, that's the worst thing I've ever seen. Atrocious isnt enough to describe that..

What are we supposed to be mad about?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Though to be fair, they're not making their money on comics. They're making it on non-comic products that are branded with comic-book IP.

Actual revenue for comic books for the entire industry is less than $1b a year. That's what a single Marvel movie makes, not counting the toys, video games, etc. etc. THAT is where the money is coming from. Actual comics are in steep decline.
    while yes the big bucks come from else where the comic industry has been over a billion a year since 2015 and has been on the rise since every year but 2017 since atleast 2012.

https://www.comichron.com/yearlycomi...ustrywide.html
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-02-23 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Not at all true. The comic implosion happened because of poor business practices. Reading quality wasn’t relevant. Every time a comic makes someone angry, someone else is delighted by it. A fair chunk of the business is driven by people who like their monthly stories and want to keep what they have after they read it. Combine that with the North American industry being somewhat more diverse in its offerings and a variety of Japanese and European comics being more readily available, we have an industry that’s at least functional. It’s tough to compete in a streaming universe but some people just like the format.