You've defeated me Dhrizzle, because last night I recognized something hypocritical of myself. I loved the video game Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth and huge amounts of the game were complete nonsense created by the developers. Like Drogoth the Dragon Lord, half-troll units, Galadriel summoning giant tornadoes. The game was also a commercial success for EA games.
    Where did my childhood sense of creativity and suspension of disbelief go, hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    We know the time period that people first started taking note of them but not when a group recognisable as halflings first appeared.
    No, we KNOW that hobbits and harfoots didn't appear till the 3rd age, as per Tolkein, you don't get to make up shit just to justify bad fan fic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    No, we KNOW that hobbits and harfoots didn't appear till the 3rd age, as per Tolkein, you don't get to make up shit just to justify bad fan fic.
    We know the earliest stories the Hobbits could trace at the end of the Third Age from when they had contact with the ancestors of the Rohirim. We know they are related to Men so their ancestors awoke at the dawn of the First Age of the Sun. Tolkien said their origins lie in the "Elder Days," a term used to describe the years from the creation of Arda to the end of the First Age of the Sun.

We know the earliest stories the Hobbits could trace at the end of the Third Age from when they had contact with the ancestors of the Rohirim. We know they are related to Men so their ancestors awoke at the dawn of the First Age of the Sun. Tolkien said their origins lie in the "Elder Days," a term used to describe the years from the creation of Arda to the end of the First Age of the Sun.
    They didn't exist till the 3rd age. You don't say man awoke the first time our ancestors that we could trace are found, you we go with homo sapian usually. Stop trying to push in bullshit fanfic, don't defend this, you can say you like the Hobbits, it doesn't make it correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    They didn't exist till the 3rd age. You don't say man awoke the first time our ancestors that we could trace are found, you we go with homo sapian usually. Stop trying to push in bullshit fanfic, don't defend this, you can say you like the Hobbits, it doesn't make it correct.
    I'm Tolkien's Legendarium the first Men awoke fully formed in Hildorien when the Sun first rose. The Elder Days refers to all the time before then and the first 600 Years of the Sun and this is when the Hobbits origins are said to be by Tolkien.

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Yeah, i dont know anyone who loved and grew upp with Tolkien that isnt excited about this show. All the hate and drama is hilarious.

Some even think they are "protecting and defending" Tokiens honor. Like, daym..
    For me it's the exact opposite. I don't know anyone who likes and enjoys Tolkien (beyond ocassionally watching the movies) who likes this show or is positive towards it. This show is a disgrace for Tolkien and his work.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    For me it's the exact opposite. I don't know anyone who likes and enjoys Tolkien (beyond ocassionally watching the movies) who likes this show or is positive towards it. This show is a disgrace for Tolkien and his work.
    I'm going to treat it like the halo show and give it an episode to win me over. If it goes master chief letting some weird ungrateful little shit point a rifle at his head.Who hates the government for saving her from murderous aliens imma drop it.

I swear television is getting worse somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    I'm going to treat it like the halo show and give it an episode to win me over. If it goes master chief letting some weird ungrateful little shit point a rifle at his head.Who hates the government for saving her from murderous aliens imma drop it.

I swear television is getting worse somehow.
    TV is only getting worse when producers try to use original source material and make a show out of - Witcher, Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings - pretty much all of it is at least underwhelming or straight out sucks. With new IPs this isn't so bad and there's still hope (looking at The Boys by Amazon or Squid Game, for example). It's just like producers love to take the biggest IPs in the world and just turn them into travesty cringe shows.

With new IPs this isn't so bad and there's still hope (looking at The Boys by Amazon or Squid Game, for example).
    You do know The Boys is an adaptation, right. It's not original IP, it's from a comic book. And while Squid Game isn't a DIRECT adaptation, it's very strongly influenced by the 2005 manga Liar Game.

Those are really not good examples for "new IP".

TV is only getting worse when producers try to use original source material and make a show out of - Witcher, Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings - pretty much all of it is at least underwhelming or straight out sucks.
    Most TV is underwhelming or straight out sucks, adaptation or otherwise. If it was easy to make good shows, everyone would be doing it.

But if you've already concluded that this is bad without having seen a second of it beyond the brief trailers...why are you even here?

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    You do know The Boys is an adaptation, right. It's not original IP, it's from a comic book. And while Squid Game isn't a DIRECT adaptation, it's very strongly influenced by the 2005 manga Liar Game.

Those are really not good examples for "new IP".
    I know as I have the comic book right here next to me. It was just an example for a good practice relying on source material. And Squid Game as an example for good new stuff. Every show is more or less influenced by other things and still can be mostly original. See Game of Thrones which was heavily inspired by Tolkien et al.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Most TV is underwhelming or straight out sucks, adaptation or otherwise. If it was easy to make good shows, everyone would be doing it.

But if you've already concluded that this is bad without having seen a second of it beyond the brief trailers...why are you even here?
    Those trailers tell you enough of how they treat the source material. And the in parts insulting comments from producers just add to that. Everything surrounding this show is just cringeworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post

It can be fun to watch a dumpster fire too. I know I hoped wheel of time would be good but even before the trailer I didn't have much hope for it... how do you make a TV show about a book that is 70-80% inner dialogues?

Poorly it turns out.

That said even though I have misgivings about what I've seen so far I get amazon tv bundled with prime so it can't hurt to give it a shot.

TV is only getting worse when producers try to use original source material and make a show out of - Witcher, Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings - pretty much all of it is at least underwhelming or straight out sucks. With new IPs this isn't so bad and there's still hope (looking at The Boys by Amazon or Squid Game, for example). It's just like producers love to take the biggest IPs in the world and just turn them into travesty cringe shows.
    You mean The Boys which takes absolutely massive liberties with the characters and stories, partly to make it work better on TV but also so they can push a stronger woke message?

You mean The Boys which takes absolutely massive liberties with the characters and stories, partly to make it work better on TV but also so they can push a stronger woke message?
    Did you really want to see Homelander rip Maeve's head off?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Did you really want to see Homelander rip Maeve's head off?
    Hell no, I'm loving the women being empowered and given greater agency especially when they use it to beat the shit out of a thinly disguised metaphor for Nazi influences on American right-wing politics.

I just think it's a really bad example to praise if you want to complain about source material being changed to fit a different media and modern sensibilities.

I know as I have the comic book right here next to me. It was just an example for a good practice relying on source material.
    You may have the comic next to you...but apparently you haven't read it because The Boys deviates heavily from the Source Material....
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    You may have the comic next to you...but apparently you haven't read it because The Boys deviates heavily from the Source Material....
    I did not deny that, it's still a good example of how you do an original franchise justice by a TV adaption.

- - - Updated - - -

I find The Boys' message pretty believable though. At least when it comes to "Hollywood terms". You can still dislike it, which I partially do, but at least they don't take themselves too seriously. Which transports the message way better than - for example - Marvel & Co.

I know as I have the comic book right here next to me. It was just an example for a good practice relying on source material. And Squid Game as an example for good new stuff. Every show is more or less influenced by other things and still can be mostly original. See Game of Thrones which was heavily inspired by Tolkien et al.
    They changed Starlight's main inciting incident of being gang raped by Homelander/The Deep/Noir right off the bat. They changed that the Boys don't have powers. They genderbent Stormfront.

They adapted it quite a bit, actually.

As usual, it's about the skill of the adapters, not whether it's adapted or not.

Let's not talk about spoilers to other shows in threads that aren't for those shows

I find The Boys' message pretty believable though. At least when it comes to "Hollywood terms". You can still dislike it, which I partially do, but at least they don't take themselves too seriously. Which transports the message way better than - for example - Marvel & Co.
    It's a tightrope walk. Comedy can be a great amplifier - allowing messages to be over the top but all the more effective in their impact because of it. Or they can turn serious issues into throwaway jokes, undercutting their relevance and importance with glib parody.

The Boys has both. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

At the end of the day, I only look at works as they are, and on their own merit: I don't care if they're adaptations, I don't care how much they deviate from sources or not, I don't care what genre they are, what tropes they use or eschew, or whatever else. I only care about what's actually there, how it's executed, and how well it works in the way it's presented.

It'll be the same with me for this series. It could be loosest, most liberal interpretation of Tolkien ever made and it wouldn't matter to me one bit if they do it well; or it could be a faithful adaptation down to meticulous detail, and I'd still hate it if they don't make it a good show.

That being said, from what we've seen so far I am not hopeful this will be a good show. But I don't know, since I haven't seen anything. I'll give it a shot. I don't expect much, but I'm also prepared to be positively surprised.