Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Surprised to hear that since it was supposed to be all good and rosy after taking down Sauron.
    "I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the Downfall, but it proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men, it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good. So that the people of Gondor in times of peace, justice and prosperity, would become discontented and restless — while the dynasts descended from Aragorn would become just kings and governors — like Denethor or worse. I found that even so early there was an outcrop of revolutionary plots, about a centre of secret Satanistic religion; while Gondorian boys were playing at being Orcs and going around doing damage. I could have written a 'thriller' about the plot and its discovery and overthrow — but it would have been just that. Not worth doing."

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    It never cease to amaze me how people already have their verdict ready when not a single second has aired yet.
    Or how many of them will hate-watch every episode in order to prove how right they are, how crappy it is, and not understand it getting renewed for a 2nd season.

Amazon (or any company you pay money to) doesn't care if all viewers are hate watching. They are watching, and paying.

I get hating a show. I'll never get hate-watching a whole series because of it. Just ugg.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

5+ Year Old Account
    Uh...looks like some cosplayer, not someone that would have gotten an actual acting part...and that other elf, elrond, looks like Mrs Doubtfire...

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Or how many of them will hate-watch every episode in order to prove how right they are, how crappy it is, and not understand it getting renewed for a 2nd season.

Amazon (or any company you pay money to) doesn't care if all viewers are hate watching. They are watching, and paying.

I get hating a show. I'll never get hate-watching a whole series because of it. Just ugg.
    Eh quite a few people I know have stopped paying for services and only "borrow" it from a friend to watch it, thus not giving them money. I know in my circle only 1 of us have hulu/netflix/apple and we all just share it with the others instead of giving them money now because they have largely proven they don't deserve it (especially fucking hulu, still getting ads when paying for no ads? fuck right off).
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

I sometimes confuse Gil-galad with Fingolfin here;

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    "They don't deserve our money! …but we totally all just share each other's accounts so we can still hate-watch stuff, and are totally missing the fact that we're still giving them money and engagement."
    people paying for things and not just streaming it on one of the many versions of watchseries with adblocker on in the year of our lord 2022. Shameful really.

Do amazon drop the whole show or do the weekly nonsense?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    people paying for things and not just streaming it on one of the many versions of watchseries with adblocker on in the year of our lord 2022. Shameful really.

Do amazon drop the whole show or do the weekly nonsense?
    Its a weekly release schedule. 8 episodes for the first season. So if you want to binge it all once you've have to wait until November.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Uh...looks like some cosplayer, not someone that would have gotten an actual acting part
    This is probably not the insult you think it is. Plenty of cosplayers are just prop/wardrobe artists of the caliber you'd find working on productions like this in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I sometimes confuse Gil-galad with Fingolfin here;
    Cosplay vs. Metal Band Album Cover.

The fight is ON.

"They don't deserve our money! …but we totally all just share each other's accounts so we can still hate-watch stuff, and are totally missing the fact that we're still giving them money and engagement."
    I never said we watch the things we hate, I know you only look at things the way you want to in order to justify your horrible opinions, and will shovel whatever drivel the companies toss at you, but some people have standards.
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Torrent says hi, still going strong and just as easy as 20years ago. I don't have time to hate-watch, I just stop. But you're right, that some people will watch a thing they hate only to prove they are right. These guys are the kind I just avoid irl immediately, the "being right guys".

Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    Torrent says hi, still going strong and just as easy as 20years ago. I don't have time to hate-watch, I just stop. But you're right, that some people will watch a thing they hate only to prove they are right. These guys are the kind I just avoid irl immediately, the "being right guys".
    I think the new thing is "watch the youtube person who will bite the bullet and watch it and then tell you about what happened with comentary that makes it more interesting than if you had watched it in the first place without making you as angry about the utter crud they turned your old IP into".

Even though I disagree with them occassionally, I'll watch(listen) a whole EFAP about a movie I have no intention of spending money on, because their content is better, and frankly way longer. Generally they are right on point and I get to avoid supporting shows/movies that frankly don't deserve it.

They are how I knew about Wandavision, while still never having watched a single episode of the show that ruined one of my favorite Marvel characters.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    I think the new thing is "watch the youtube person who will bite the bullet and watch it and then tell you about what happened with comentary that makes it more interesting than if you had watched it in the first place without making you as angry about the utter crud they turned your old IP into".

Even though I disagree with them occassionally, I'll watch(listen) a whole EFAP about a movie I have no intention of spending money on, because their content is better, and frankly way longer. Generally they are right on point and I get to avoid supporting shows/movies that frankly don't deserve it.

They are how I knew about Wandavision, while still never having watched a single episode of the show that ruined one of my favorite Marvel characters.
    The ip is "crud" either way at that point. I don't see the difference between actually watching it or just hearing about it, other than that you get to form your own opinion in one case or borrow someone else's in the other.

10+ Year Old Account

You put Lenny Henry into anything and I'm instantly OK with it.
    Lenny Henry is always a joy. Loved his stand up when I was younger but kind of fell out or just plain drifted away from him later on. Hadn't heard the guys name for like 15 years lol. Very weird to pop up here of all places lol
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

30k views, 4k dislikes. TL;DR of the comments section: "Black people go against Tolkien's vision." I wonder if this sort of reaction ever gets to the people who make stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    30k views, 4k dislikes. TL;DR of the comments section: "Black people go against Tolkien's vision." I wonder if this sort of reaction ever gets to the people who make stuff like this.
    I am quite sure Tolkien, if he lived today, would have black elfs. He was very modern with his litterature.

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    I am quite sure Tolkien, if he lived today, would have black elfs. He was very modern with his litterature.
    /shrug Whether he would or wouldn't is basically irrelevant.

But this sort of brigading based entirely on [insert clickbait culture war bullshit] is so ridiculous. Even if it does turn out to be a decent show, it's not like the useless fucks spamming the comments section of every video on the subject are going to admit they were wrong. They'll just quietly move on to the next pop culture production to whine incessantly about.

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Given the fact that Amazon completely rewrote the show after the person who knew him best died (his son Christopher Tolkein RIP), I feel this is less likely. Think Tolkein would have been fine with writing a story in a different universe with a lot of diversity, but this was supposed to be the historic fantasy/story's of Great Britain, so he wrote it the way he wanted too (much the same way the MCU presented Black Panther).

Needless to say I am more annoyed about things like the rumored lack of Celeborn (at least in season 1, like seriously he is Galadrials husband who very much is a warrior, whom in the 2nd age she has a child called Celebrian, only the future wife of Elrond/mother of Arwen) , or Cirdan the shipwright (he HAS To come in at some point as someone who bears one of the elvish rings till just before the OG trilogy), the squishing of the 2nd age into a few years? (we know they condense things, which is bad enough, but depending how much could be so bad considering the 2nd age lasted ~3,000 IRCC) and various other problems along these lines.

Again I am not asking for a 100% faithful adaptation, but a 80-90% would be nice, tired of Hollywood writers/directors thinking they know better than the person who created the stories they are butchering.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Amazon completely rewrote the show after the person who knew him best died (his son Christopher Tolkein RIP)
    I asked the last person who said this for a source and got nothing. I wonder if this time I'll get more than

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    /shrug Whether he would or wouldn't is basically irrelevant.

But this sort of brigading based entirely on [insert clickbait culture war bullshit] is so ridiculous. Even if it does turn out to be a decent show, it's not like the useless fucks spamming the comments section of every video on the subject are going to admit they were wrong. They'll just quietly move on to the next pop culture production to whine incessantly about.
    I'm sure when the next Captain Marvel movie gets announced we'll never hear the end of it.