Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Fuck the miserable little bores with no lives
    Funny, that's what I usually think when I see people with tens of thousands of posts on MMO champ

CGI looks great, though does give me The Hobbit vibes.

The costumes and practical elements look less so.

Who would expect otherwise lol

This is always a puzzlingly weak attack, no matter when I see it. Its takes seconds to post. Nearly 15000 times over... what, 11 years? Its nothing lol If you felt offended by such a comment, at least find better, actually useful, insults.

You could also actually try comment on the topic of the thread, strange as that may seem.
    For such a weak attack you sure did take it personally and felt the need to explain yourself, please accept my sincerest apologies.

My ontopic take is shows by Amazon are garbage and this is no different.

Quote Originally Posted by qwikz View Post
    For such a weak attack you sure did take it personally and felt the need to explain yourself, please accept my sincerest apologies.

My ontopic take is shows by Amazon are garbage and this is no different.
    The Boys is one of the best shows of the year, and is an Amazon show. There's plenty of great stuff on Amazon.

What things, exactly, are Galadriel claiming she has seen? She wasn't there for the Kinslaying. She didn't help in the battle against Morgoth. Are they creating some horrible new events just for this show?

Quote Originally Posted by gamz247 View Post
    What things, exactly, are Galadriel claiming she has seen? She wasn't there for the Kinslaying. She didn't help in the battle against Morgoth. Are they creating some horrible new events just for this show?
    Yes. Lots of new things in this show. She's a great warrior/commander. Very brave and involved. They're making a fanfic with a budget of hundreds of millions, I'm sure it will have lots of special effects and beautiful clothes and the "ugliest orcs so far". Don't judge too much
    "In real life, unlike in Shakespeare, the sweetness of the rose depends upon the name it bears. Things are not only what they are. They are, in very important respects, what they seem to be"

End of quote. Repeat the line.

Quote Originally Posted by gamz247 View Post
    Yes, lots of fanfic work with new creations, new characters never heard of in any material etc... If you wanted Tolken work, this show isn't it. From all I can read, watch and come across, this is fanfiction based very loosely on someone elses material. It's about the best way to describe this show from what I can tell and good fanfics are rarely seen. Time will tell of course but I don't have high hopes.

Nah, I explained exactly why it was such a weak attack, because it literally doesn't work as an attack lol But I know you need to try and come off as though you got some "win" or whatever.

Ah, strictly closeminded. That's certainly one way to go.
    You know, you should look into expanding your vocabulary. It's been 11 years, you really need to stop writing "lol" in every sentence, makes you look silly.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The Boys is one of the best shows of the year, and is an Amazon show. There's plenty of great stuff on Amazon.
    Good point, but it also started before Amazon management went insane. I don't have high hopes for anything new produced, but they are welcome to surprise me.

The script and the acting can make this show. The actors can be charismatic if the script is there. And that needs to be shown. Because there's not a lot of physical appeal in any of the leads. (Yea, I'm shallow at times) Can't judge things though from the flashy shit in the trailer.

I don't know if it's because I've not seen more of her in the role but I'm not feeling that Galadriel actress at all. She just doesn't seem like a Galadriel. Cate Blanchett had an otherworldly quality about her in the role but this one seems like she belongs in a daytime soap as a primary school headmistress. And wtf was that hobbit accent? She managed Jamaican, Irish, American and English in the space of a few seconds. Some of the casting decisions are... oof. That said, the visuals are impressive, clearly some money has been spent. It has promise, but I'm feeling a bit meh about it at the moment.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Yes, lots of fanfic work with new creations, new characters never heard of in any material etc... If you wanted Tolken work, this show isn't it. From all I can read, watch and come across, this is fanfiction based very loosely on someone elses material. It's about the best way to describe this show from what I can tell and good fanfics are rarely seen. Time will tell of course but I don't have high hopes.
    Not much choice, they don't have license for any actual, written material, iirc. If Tolkien fans want something better or would prefer nothing at all, tell the estate to stop selling scraps.

Most generic, and boring trailer ive ever saw.

I really don't know what people hate about this, it looks fine. Looks like lord of the rings.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    I really don't know what people hate about this, it looks fine. Looks like lord of the rings.
    They’re just looking for attention. In most places it’s called “trolling”.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Not much choice, they don't have license for any actual, written material, iirc. If Tolkien fans want something better or would prefer nothing at all, tell the estate to stop selling scraps.
    What I can find in a quick search is Amazon has the rights to:
    The Fellowship of the Ring
    The Two Towers
    The Return of the King
    The appendices
    The Hobbit

Thats not Scraps.

the trailer looked decent, I mean the special effects didn't look outwardly terrible like they do so often these days. otherwise not a whole lot shown so far.

New Trailer first impressions:

Is that the twin trees of valinor? That was pre-first age, was that in the appendices? That is A LOT of history, so could only be an easter egg, okay I guess...

Furthering moving into warrior Galadrial territory apparently, UGH. Also still no Celeborn....

Also Galadrial saying Elrond hasn't seen what she has seen... Like I get right now he is fresh, but he fights in the war of elves and Sauron and the later Last alliance of elves and men, man was the captain and herald of Gil-galad ffs in the 2nd age, come on why include this. Also having Elrond sass Galadrial, his mother-in-law? ugh.....

Gil-Galad looked better than the shots they have released, actor looked close to the character that was the King of the elves of the west (though like all elves the ears need some work).

Feel like we have seen a lot of the Harfoots, and honestly I get some people love Hobbits, but I like the characters of the hobbits from LoTR, not the race, could have easily done without them. I get that the characters could be as endearing as Pippin and Mary, but considering Harfoots weren't written in the 2nd age it does bug and annoy me.

Dwarfs continue to carry the little hope I have, looked good.

Why did the men on the horses look so thick, like some chunky boys.

I am guessing meteor man is one of the wizards (that was the rumor I heard), and since Ian isn't shown as a cast don't make it a "young" Gandalf ffs. Though another rumors I heard is that it is Sauron, which I wouldn't get since why would Sauron need to "fall" onto middle earth again?

Also the line "The past is dead. We either move forward or die with it" really bothered me, that felt very much like an amazon line to critics rather than a line a character Tolkein wrote would say.

Still not sure why they want to release the show ON THE ANNIVERSARY OF Tolkein's DEATH, rather than Hobbits day a few weeks later.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-07-14 at 07:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    They’re just looking for attention. In most places it’s called “trolling”.
    Yes, nobody could possibly disagree with you, and if they do they're only pretending. There is only one correct opinion, all the others are fake.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    What I can find in a quick search is Amazon has the rights to:
    The Fellowship of the Ring
    The Two Towers
    The Return of the King
    The appendices
    The Hobbit

Thats not Scraps.
    Yes, the estate wanted a series set in the Second Age and offered up no more than what has already been covered by Peter Jackson (all from the Third Age anyway). They did not offer up anything from the Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales. I'd call that scraps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Also Galadrial saying Elrond hasn't seen what she has seen...
    I took this more to mean in some kind of visions or premonitions or something; I could be totally off base though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Yes, the estate wanted a series set in the Second Age and offered up no more than what has already been covered by Peter Jackson (all from the Third Age anyway). They did not offer up anything from the Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales. I'd call that scraps.
    Interesting.

Makes me wonder if the estate learned what Amazon wanted to do and thought, "Nope. We're not selling you the rights to do that. Make your own fanfic."
    So, amazon did but in turn also generated a lot of negative criticism given the fanfic they are showing and what little has been released on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    SNIP...

Still not sure why they want to release the show ON THE ANNIVERSARY OF Tolkein's DEATH, rather than Hobbits day a few weeks later.
    Publicity stunt only IMHO.
    Last edited by quras; 2022-07-14 at 07:59 PM.