Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    so your saying replacing white characters with minority ones works if they are well cast and hot?

I mean that’s one way to defeat your own argument I suppose.
    No, I'm saying people didn't go because they were fans of Aquaman they went to see the super hero version of Baywatch

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    The costume design keeps getting worse. The (man)boobplate + painted on scale armor is exceptional. I also don't understand why they are turning Tar-Míriel into a warrior character when there is no basis for this... "fairer than silver or ivory or pearls" indeed.

Wow these uh look horrible and incredibly ill fitted while still being unrealistically tight at the same time it's impressive

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    No, I'm saying people didn't go because they were fans of Aquaman they went to see the super hero version of Baywatch
    Yes that changing his race not only didn’t hurt it’s success it actually lead to it through good casting/being hot.

That completely ruins the idea that race swapping is hurting movies, it just means they have to race swap then into hotter actors.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    MIB is a weird example because the movie is literally about replacing two old and out-of-touch white dudes with a black man and, by the end of the movie, a young woman.

The very first movie.

Edit: I'm old enough to remember The Wiz, where it replaced all the characters in the Wizard of Oz with black men and women. Black Dorothy, black Scarecrow (played by Michael Jackson), etc. Why wasn't that woke pandering then? The original Judy Garland version had all white people, and the book it was based on was about white people. It's almost like this fucking insane furor is made up bigotry because y'all can't keep media lily white. It's not woke pandering to simply include a woman or black person in a piece of media, even if -gasp- they're the main character. I spent my entire childhood as a brown man looking up to and adoring white characters, why are y'all so fragile that you can't relate to a black man or woman on screen?
    MIB is the weird example??

WEST SIDE STORY is the REALLY weird example! I mean how is the 2021 version all that different from ...the actual original West Side Story? Because they used actual non-white actors for rolls that were never written as 'all white' characters?

Just very confused. I mean I can see some of the logic (bad and wrong logic but I still see it) for someone claiming say that the original West Side Story is 'woke' if that's what they are preachin' - but JUST the 2021 version?

WHAAAA??? Just don't make no sense.

(And do agree that posters list was more a list of really badly written sequels then movies made bad because they included women/minorities/whatevers. They were just bad movies.)

And I'm really impressed by all the costume design and blacksmith experts we have on our forums...

Must be difficult for all these fantasy and scifi fans to watch any movie pre-Marvel. I must be one of the lucky few to learn how to get over "not perfect costumes and armor" with the few fantasy/scifi 70s and 80s movies I grew up with. *shakes her cane* And we were happy to have those few!! =D
    Last edited by Koriani; 2022-07-21 at 07:19 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Must be difficult for all these fantasy and scifi fans to watch any movie pre-Marvel. I must be one of the lucky few to learn how to get over "not perfect costumes and armor" with the few fantasy/scifi 70s and 80s movies I grew up with. *shakes her cane* And we were happy to have those few!! =D
    It's funny you mention that, because I remember thinking that for all the production quality those films had, even Bale's Batman costume showed its flaws when it was filmed in broad daylight for those scenes at the end of TDKR.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2022-07-21 at 09:57 PM.

Watching all the experts in this thread has been almost as entertaining as watching 3 hours of walking through NZ.

And I'm really impressed by all the costume design and blacksmith experts we have on our forums...
    Doesn't take an expert armorsmith to recognize armor that simply doesn't make sense and looks silly because of it. It's so easy to look to actual historical armaments. They look better and probably aren't even more expensive than whatever this 3d printed mess is.

The difference is that these 70s and 80s movies were most likely low budget pulp movies that weren't set in the same universe as a pre existing trilogy that actually had good costume design and therefor automatically prompts comparisons. We're talking about the most expensive TV show ever made here. There's simply no excuse for trashy costumes.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

...it's a scale-patterned breastplate over a padded shirt. What, exactly, doesn't make sense about that?

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    ...it's a scale-patterned breastplate over a padded shirt. What, exactly, doesn't make sense about that?
    It's badly fitted breastplate boob armor that is somehow trying to look like scale mail with a scale pattern also printed on the cloth underneath (to look like actual armor from a distance??). The question should be what does make sense here?

I really love how we're at the point where we have to pretend "bad looking" costumes are what's breaking people's immersion lol. yeah yeah the pages and pages before this certainly didn't make the case that nothing about this show is going to please you.

People went to see aqua man for two reasons to see Khal Drogo looking hot and pre downfall Amber Heard wearing a skintight suit. It was nothing to do with the story it was super hero Baywatch.
    I watched it for the bat-shit craziness of a fish war. I was not disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    It's badly fitted breastplate boob armor that is somehow trying to look like scale mail with a scale pattern also printed on the cloth underneath (to look like actual armor from a distance??). The question should be what does make sense here?
    You are missing his point, you aren't supposed to have thoughts, just turn off brain and consume what big corporations give you and be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

This show is most likely going to be shite, but 96 pages without an actual trailer is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I mean as bi guy I was only interested in seeing Jason Momoa look hot and wet. :P
    I mean there are some people who are objectively hot Brad Pitt in Fight Club is another example.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes that changing his race not only didn’t hurt it’s success it actually lead to it through good casting/being hot.

That completely ruins the idea that race swapping is hurting movies, it just means they have to race swap then into hotter actors.
    Are you dumb? The entire point is it didn't matter what property it was attached to if anything Aquaman being a joke helped them because there was no push back because nobody cared at all. The reason people went to see the movie was the same reason they went to see Baywatch it had very little if anything to do with property it was attached to.

I won't get into all those "muh political" arguments which never end well, but yeah those costumes are just bad. Decent looking scale armor isn't that expensive to get a hold of even for enthusiasts, I'd have expected a studio with such a massive budget to do better TBH.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    I really love how we're at the point where we have to pretend "bad looking" costumes are what's breaking people's immersion lol. yeah yeah the pages and pages before this certainly didn't make the case that nothing about this show is going to please you.
    Do you think the costumes look good then? Or do you have nothing to share on the matter and just want to poison the well?

I guess all is fair to defend every single aspect about this show simply because you don't like where the criticism is generally coming from.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Are you dumb? The entire point is it didn't matter what property it was attached to if anything Aquaman being a joke helped them because there was no push back because nobody cared at all. The reason people went to see the movie was the same reason they went to see Baywatch it had very little if anything to do with property it was attached to.
    exactly it doesn't matter what property it is attached to good casting and being hot will get people to go see a movie no matter if they are race swapping characters or not.

FF4 should have just gotten a hotter actor.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering how much cheaper Jacksons trilogy was than this series it's kind of hilarious that they were able to employ real armor smiths who, while not necessarily using proper steel to make the props, at least made them with the proper techniques, resulting in an authentic look even in close-up shots. They were also very much trying to base their armor designs in functional ones from history, not just on what the cheapest costume designer they could find thinks might look cool.
    The costumes in Rings of Power all look like some weird mix between the worst the later seasons of GoT had to offer and the costumes in the current run of terrible Marvel shows and movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    Considering how much cheaper Jacksons trilogy was than this series it's kind of hilarious that they were able to employ real armor smiths who, while not necessarily using proper steel to make the props, at least made them with the proper techniques, resulting in an authentic look even in close-up shots. They were also very much trying to base their armor designs in functional ones from history, not just on what the cheapest costume designer they could find thinks might look cool.
    The costumes in Rings of Power all look like some weird mix between the worst the later seasons of GoT had to offer and the costumes in the current run of terrible Marvel shows and movies.
    To be fair, if you adjust for inflation all three Peter Jackson movies combined only were a few millions cheaper. But yeah, your point still stands. They had an entire team of people who would do nothing but make mail armor for the extras and the extra effort was really noticeable.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Is The Boys a good adaptation? It differs wildly from the comics. What about Game of Thrones? Even in the first four seasons which were pretty book accurate, some things, like Arya meeting Tywin Lannister, were made up for the show. The whole Ros storyline as well.

Usually, it being a quality piece of media, and following the themes and narrative through-lines of the original work, is what makes a show a good adaptation. Not it being a word for word translation onto the screen.
    The Boys is a fine enough adaptation, for something that is pretty obviously woke too. Because it's still entertaining and funny. I do think those things can work out well, being topical and bringing up current day issues and I think it's actually done a good job in that respect.

Frankly, I don't even consider this "LOTR" show to have anything to do with it. LotR is literally it's own thing, it's own trilogy. Amazon uses that name because it's a brand, yet Tolkien never labeled all of his books with Lord of the Rings on the front except for the trilogy. That might seem like semantics but it's sensible.

It's no a real adaptation, in my mind since most of it is clearly just made up or doesn't follow Tolkien's lore.and timelines properly.

exactly it doesn't matter what property it is attached to good casting and being hot will get people to go see a movie no matter if they are race swapping characters or not.

FF4 should have just gotten a hotter actor.
    Michael B Jordan is objectively hot as hell. The difference is the change was attached to a property people actually care about.