10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Because such precise cuts would be almost impossible to achieve with a scissor and guard alone. Not to mention it would be painstaking at hell and impractical.

No need to be contrarian about it. Its just a really stupid design decision.
    Coming from a culture able to create jewels capable to emit their own light, vials that trap the light of a star, or ropes that untie themselves just by telling Galadriel's name, or cloaks that could take up the hue of their natural background, or stones able to transmit images from other stones, or travel bread that could be kept indefinitely and sustain just as much broken than whole, or Rings of Power and so on, I believe that mastering the hidden art of the buzzcut is within their grasp.

It's just nitpicking at this point. Granted, it is much easier to pick nits in a short hairdo than in a full mane of hair...
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Because such precise cuts would be almost impossible to achieve with a scissor and guard alone. Not to mention it would be painstaking at hell and impractical.
    Maybe the fade the black guy has. But a "buzz cut" is pretty easy if you just shave and let it grow back.
    /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Coming from a culture able to create jewels capable to emit their own light, vials that trap the light of a star, or ropes that untie themselves just by telling Galadriel's name, or cloaks that could take up the hue of their natural background, or stones able to transmit images from other stones, or travel bread that could be kept indefinitely and sustain just as much broken than whole, or Rings of Power and so on, I believe that mastering the hidden art of the buzzcut is within their grasp.

It's just nitpicking at this point. Granted, it is much easier to pick nits in a short hairdo than in a full mane of hair...
    Basically just arguing that "a wizard did it". Its not compelling and unless they're going to elaborate that elves have so magic hair trimming technology that was lost in the 3rd age, its probably best not to go there in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Maybe the fade the black guy has. But a "buzz cut" is pretty easy if you just shave and let it grow back.
    /shrug
    Fair point, and it wouldn't be a bad thing to depict if the characters hair length actually fluctuated over the series as is natural. But we know that's not going to happen and its going to stay perfectly trimmed for months. But also just to add, your hair follicles do not all grow at an even rate. So a cut like depicted on the blond guy from the trailer would not be possible just from shaving.
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2022-07-23 at 10:46 PM.

It's not. People have been posting that her name is Bridie Sisson.
    Looks like they're right. This is from her Insta last year:

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Sauron had many names and wore many faces. He could be Annatar, the odd looking blonde lady/cultist, the doom lord commanding orcs, the old man talking about Sauron, the weird dust sword and just a general presence of darkness.
    Well, he certainly could take the form of many things. But he didn't when he was in Númenor as Pharazôn's hostage/adviser.
    No need to be contrarian about it. Its just a really stupid design decision.
    Pretty sure people would defend cars driving around in the second age at this point.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

But also just to add, your hair follicles do not all grow at an even rate. So a cut like depicted on the blond guy from the trailer would not be possible just from shaving.
    eh, if we're talking about the white-robed character, that's basically where my hair would be if I stopped shaving for two or three weeks. you know...if i didn't have the giant bald swath down the middle that motivated me to start shaving in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Catwoman isn't the only major Batman character that was race swapped.

Again not the main character Gordon is a great cop one of the few incorruptible ones in gotham but he isn't a main character.

Why are you so insistent on wanting to racebend characters instead of creating new ones or promoting already existing ones I really don't get it. Miles Morales is proof that people will happily play games and see movies with original characters that were created as their own character not just a race bended Peter Parker.
    Last edited by Xath; 2022-07-24 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Why are you so insistent on wanting to racebend characters instead of creating new ones or promoting already existing ones I really don't get it.
    "Make your own characters, wokelords!"
    "Ok, here's a new character. Her name is Rey."
    "NO!!! NOT LIKE THAT!!!"

Dumbass up there comparing hairstyles to cars, and you're over here repeating this garbage as if it means anything.

Basically just arguing that "a wizard did it". Its not compelling and unless they're going to elaborate that elves have so magic hair trimming technology that was lost in the 3rd age, its probably best not to go there in the first place.

Fair point, and it wouldn't be a bad thing to depict if the characters hair length actually fluctuated over the series as is natural. But we know that's not going to happen and its going to stay perfectly trimmed for months. But also just to add, your hair follicles do not all grow at an even rate. So a cut like depicted on the blond guy from the trailer would not be possible just from shaving.
    Did you complain about the movies also with the hair because it barely changed there also, noone cares about hairsyles or if the hair grows throughout a series or a film, it really doesnt matter at all in the slightest, the only real time you do see anything different is when they go into some formal setting and the scruff gets tidied up.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Again not the main character Gordon is a great cop one of the few incorruptible ones in gotham but he isn't a main character.
    Johnny Storm isn't the "main character" of the fantastic four either...

Why are you so insistent on wanting to racebend characters instead of creating new ones or promoting already existing ones I really don't get it.
    I'm not "insistent" on racebending characters. I'm just pointing out that Jim Gordon being portrayed by a black actor had no negative impact on the film.

Miles Morales is proof that people will happily play games and see movies with original characters that were created as their own character not just a race bended Peter Parker.
    When Miles Morales was first introduced in the comics he was greeted with the same "Why don't they just create new characters instead of replacing the originals?" backlash that hits every minority hero that dares to take the mantle of another hero.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Why are you so insistent on wanting to racebend characters instead of creating new ones or promoting already existing ones I really don't get it. Miles Morales is proof that people will happily play games and see movies with original characters that were created as their own character not just a race bended Peter Parker.
    Catwoman/Gordon likely get more screen time then Johnny storm in any of the movies and the story defiantly revolves around CW more then it did Jonny in any of the FF movies so if you want to say they don’t count as main characters Johnny obviously shouldn’t either so what’s the problem?

How is it that one Johnny managed to single handily FF with his race change but Gordon cat woman and who knows how many other characters in other movies doesn’t effect them at all?
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    When Miles Morales was first introduced in the comics he was greeted with the same "Why don't they just create new characters instead of replacing the originals?" backlash that hits every minority hero that dares to take the mantle of another hero.
    Seriously, how short are people's memories? We're all old enough to remember when Miles Morales was introduced like....10 years ago. It was all "pandering" and "affirmative action" back then, cause those were the catchphrases used by people. "Why do we need a biracial Spider-Man? Peter Parker is Spider-Man!"

Like, the argument goes round and round.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    Peter Jackson has stated numerous times that his intent was to stick as close as possible to Tolkien. To even compare the minor changes made by Jackson, to what is being done by Amazon is being disingenuous. Yes Peter Jackson did change some things for LOTR but overall he was faithful to the story of the books.
    Oh, so the creators just have to SAY it's faithful and then they can make whatever changes they deem necessary.

If you compiled all the changes from the source material, those from the movies would far outweigh those from the show even with what little we know of the Amazon series thus far. Peter Jackson had a fully fleshed out narrative to draw from and he changed A LOT, and that is fine because a novel (especially one such as LotR) requires A LOT of editing to end up as a screenplay.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    Stop calling it Tolkien is the point. People have created hundreds of works inspired by Tolkien over the last 40 years. There is no need to call it "what Tolkien would have wrote" because it is not what Tolkien would have wrote. It is not a literal continuation or expansion of his intent for the lore and history of middle earth. Other franchises have been very open about the fact that they are adapting an existing work and that they are deviating from that source in various ways. I am just pointing out the fact that this is not Tolkien and shouldn't be called "what Tolkien would have wanted". People are upset because Amazon is trying to rebrand Tolkiens world as "their world" as if somehow what they are doing is in line with Tolkien wanted when it is not. Thats the point being made. You could make a perfectly fine high fantasy story inspired by Tolkien without trying to argue that this is a literal continuation and adaptation of Tolkien because it is not. Tolkien is a meta narrative for high fantasy overall because his work inspired much of what we call high fantasy today. And some see him as a holy grail within fiction and fantasy because of that and want to try and gain the prestige of Tolkien without doing the work to earn it by being true to Tolkien's intent. And it is that lazy disrespect that I am calling out, not the idea that people cannot or should not be making changes when doing adaptations.
    No one is saying this is literally what Tolkien would have written, but it doesn't need to be. It's still an extension of the source material because that's what you give when you sell the rights to your works.

In the same way the Jurassic World movies are still part of the series that began with the novel Jurassic Park (despite Michael Crichton being dead and having had nothing to do with them), this is part of the series that encapsulates the world and the stories of The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and all other related notes, letters, and published works (or at least the ones that Amazon bought the rights to).

Just because YOU think some of these things deviate too much from what YOU expected of these stories doesn't change the fact that they're still firmly based on Tolkien's source material and provide new stories that reside within the world he created.

People gatekeeping Tolkien conveniently forget he was seriously tempted to let the beatles make a LOTR adaptation.

The man wasn’t overly concerned about 1:1 adaptation. His very goal was to create an “english mythology” that other creators could set their roots in.

It's not. People have been posting that her name is Bridie Sisson.
    Well who said Sauron has to be a man?

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    People gatekeeping Tolkien conveniently forget he was seriously tempted to let the beatles make a LOTR adaptation.

The man wasn’t overly concerned about 1:1 adaptation. His very goal was to create an “english mythology” that other creators could set their roots in.
    But he didn't, and he was very much concerned with being faithful, I believe it is letter 210. I love how many "fans" like to toss the bullshit gate keeper line while letting a trillion dollar company completely change characters, time, locations, and story beats so they can make money off a shit tier adaptation (which may or may not be a good show, for WoT it was shit all around).

Also fuck that I think people need to gatekeep harder, stop letting Hollywood get away with fuck awful adaptations just because people want to see something on screen, we as consumers shouldn't be happy we get terrible products, we should demand good products, made with love and care. What we are getting currently is directors who are talking about ruining lore/changing characters simply because some dumb fucks on twitter say some idiotic shit (Rafe and Watiti both said this).
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-07-24 at 09:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Well who said Sauron has to be a man?
    This was my first thought. Doesn't even feel out of place with what they've shown so far either.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    But he didn't, and he was very much concerned with being faithful, I believe it is letter 210. I love how many "fans" like to toss the bullshit gate keeper line while letting a trillion dollar company completely change characters, time, locations, and story beats so they can make money off a shit tier adaptation (which may or may not be a good show, for WoT it was shit all around).

Also fuck that I think people need to gatekeep harder, stop letting Hollywood get away with fuck awful adaptations just because people want to see something on screen, we as consumers shouldn't be happy we get terrible products, we should demand good products, made with love and care. What we are getting currently is directors who are talking about ruining lore/changing characters simply because some dumb fucks on twitter say some idiotic shit (Rafe and Watiti both said this).
    Tolkiens letter 210 was a simple consultation any writer would give on a screenplay of his works. Furthermore he doesn’t so much call out the “deviations” as the “this makes no sense” stuff.

But you do you, our brave keeper of gates.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    Tolkiens letter 210 was a simple consultation any writer would give on a screenplay of his works. Furthermore he doesn’t so much call out the “deviations” as the “this makes no sense” stuff.

But you do you, our brave keeper of gates.
    I mean you are wrong about letter 210, but you do you, oh you brave mindless consumer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    I mean you are wrong about letter 210, but you do you, oh you brave mindless consumer.
    Letter 210 starts off apologising if the creator of the film treatment finds his criticisms irritating. Reading through it you can seen that Tolkien understood that different media would entail changes to the story in some way, and while he was firmly displeased with some of the changes he was also respectful to the creators. It's similar to how Christopher Tolkien disliked Peter Jackson making "action movies for 15 - 25 year olds" but didn't resent their existence.

Whatever the Tolkiens may have thought of the series, as they were gentlemen it's likely they would have been far more upset about the mindless vitriol being pushed against the creators by opportunistic YouTubers and their fans pretending to care about Tolkien's work.